• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

Vega VII does not support FP64? That's contradictory.

The only part that seems legit is the "missing L2 CPU cache peeking from GPU" (PS4 GPU L2 volatile bit).

+ the part where they're talking about the dev kit being VII's and PC hardware approximating the final performance, and then making assumptions about the final hardware? They even said it's not final hardware, and then say there's no secret sauce, which any customization like cache peeking would be introduced with as it requires hardware. It's all very contradictory.

"It's even more PC like than the PS4!" Yeah, but you just said it is a PC lol

Last edited:
Speculate/guess: Will we will be able to use current XBOX One controllers on the next gen XBOX?

And no, I don't expect the Dual Shock 4 to work with the PS5.

McHuj

Some of these fake leaks will end up being right since there’s really only a handful of combinations that will end up in the design.

Unless someone has a secret dedicated hardware block, I don’t anything will be surprising about the next gen hardware.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Speculate/guess: Will we will be able to use current XBOX One controllers on the next gen XBOX?
I'm leaning towards "yes", but only the later bluetooth models. Historically that's not how it goes, but the time is right for MS to pull that given their push towards Xbox as a service. You'll have people using X1S, X1X, and W10 with xCloud, native W10 crossplatform support on 1st-party titles, and likely streaming stick. It would be a nice little bonus.

Ellery

it is extremely easy for me to give absolutely no credibility to any leak at the moment. It is just too easy for a random person who wants to troll to write something on reddit/4chan/pastebin.
Could very well be that out of those leaks/rumors there is one that has is right, but that is bound to happen if we have 1000 guesses. The worst kind of leaks are the ones where they also try
to spread rubbish about all future AAA games including their release date like GTA 6. "Hey I work for XXX, PS5 is going to be YYY and GTA 6 releases in ZZZ"

Even if someone has access to a devkit I'd guess chances are pretty high that the devkits are completely different from the final console and all hardware in them are just placeholders to somewhat
mimic what is about to come in late 2020.

We actually don't need to wait long to see what we are in for. in 8 days AMD is having a keynote computex about Zen2 and Navi, both of which are in the PS5, and I guess seeing the actual Navi hardware chips
many 13TF+ dreams are going to die that moment.

I am looking forward to what Navi has to offer, especially when looking at how many CUs, clockspeeds and what improvements they made over previous GCN iterations. Heat and power draw will tell us what
they will be able to get away with in the next gen consoles.

Also important to note that whatever GPU will be in next gen consoles it won't be able to come with max CUs due to yields and binning. It doesn't make sense from an economic perspective, because buying millions
of chips with 64 CUs would be way too expensive for console manufacturers.
And looking at the Vega VII we can see that 60 CUs at high clockspeeds are running too hot, require too much cooling and absolutely require too much power draw.

I took the graph from OP and crossed out what I feel is impossible(well extremely unlikely). This is just for the PS5.

TXzfb1q.png

7nm Navi will be able to clock higher than 1200/1300 MHZ. I am sure of that given how that is one of the advantages going to better architectures and manufacturing nodes. (This is where we got most of the performance increase in the previous generations of GPUs from). Personally I'd expect a lower CU count and higher clocks. Something like 52CUs at 1500MHZ is perfectly reasonable I guess. Especially when yields improve throughout the next 18 months.

I would expect roughly the same % difference in clockspeeds between the GPU that is inside next gen consoles and discrete desktop graphics card counterpart and what was the case for the PS4 and the Radeon HD 7790 or 7850/7870 or whatever it was. (it was a custom chip though). It was around 10-15% difference iirc. So if desktop Navi cards are at like 1700MHZ I think 1450-1500MHZ for the PS5 chip are possible and reasonable. Going down 150-200MHZ would also be at a lower voltage meaning lower power draw and less heat which is exactly what console manufactures are looking for.

Maybe Navi is a clockspeed monster and exceeds 2000MHZ for the desktop cards, but I doubt that and I think we should expect Navi desktop cards to be around 1600-1700MHZ (boost clocks).

it is extremely easy for me to give absolutely no credibility to any leak at the moment. It is just too easy for a random person who wants to troll to write something on reddit/4chan/pastebin.

To be fair, this PS5 pastebin spec leak was pretty accurate:

https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR

- CPU 7nm ryzen 8 core 16 threads,unknown speed
- GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall
-backward compatible
-physical games & ps store
-2tb hdd some sort of nand flash

Cerny confirmed a few of those things to Wired in March 2019. The pastebin was dated December 2018.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

- GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall
-backward compatible

Cerny confirmed a few of those things to Wired in March 2019. The pastebin was dated December 2018.
Thank you Sir! We back on track now 👍

ANIMAL1975

It's the only one so far I think has any credibility, just based on the wired interview partial confirms, and it feels legit (75%+)
(75%+)!? What are you referring to please, RAM, TFLOPS, clock speeds? Please pm if you can't post that here!
who do you work for?!!!

Aceofspades

Banned

-backward compatible

14TF is like the max GCN can achieve in normal conditions, it can be a bitch to cool off though.

If this is true then MS whole strategy with 2 SKUs will fall in its face. Anaconada will be irrelevant and Lockhart will be looked at as the "weak" Next gen console .

Ellery

-backward compatible

Of course 1 person knows all about the exact details about the PS5, PSVR2, details including GTA 6 and Harry Potter games.

If we get a 14TF PS5 and GTA6 in 2020, like that "leak" is mentioning, then I will publicly apologize.

Also if you have 100 leaks there is bound to some who get it right. It is like when you ask 30 random people at what price Bitcoin will be in 2 years then maybe 1 person is going to get it right. Does that mean that the 1 person who got it randomly right is a prophet now?

Ar¢tos

14tf is almost impossible in console form. The heat and power consumption make it extremely challenging to achieve. 13tf max, 12tf is probably the max we will get.

nowhat

RuthenicCookie is the only insider with a track record. Which he endorsed the below pastebin.
Ignoring the tech specs, I'm skeptical about the launch titles. Why would Sony share that info with "a third party small developer"? Further, given that PS5 should be backwards compatible, the remasters sound highly suspect. Yes, TLoU:R was released quite soon after PS4, but it was a necessity to get the game on the new console.

Ar¢tos

Ignoring the tech specs, I'm skeptical about the launch titles. Why would Sony share that info with "a third party small developer"? Further, given that PS5 should be backwards compatible, the remasters sound highly suspect. Yes, TLoU:R was released quite soon after PS4, but it was a necessity to get the game on the new console.
Yes, the similarities in cpu/gpu make releasing remasters pointless. Devs can just release upgrade patches (paid or not) and keep the ps4 game in the digital stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom