• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your off topic dude ...

..and your super annoyed I called out how wrong you are.

You claimed there is no claim about 4k gaming and its right there on the playstation home page.
Who are you even talking to? I didn't say anything, only asked about your mental state.

Well, thanks for answering my question at least... I can tell you that the answer isn't exactly positive...

Lort

Banned
Who are you even talking to? I didn't say anything, only asked about your mental state.

Well, thanks for answering my question at least... I can tell you that the answer isn't exactly positive...

Naw did I hurt your friends feelings.

Sorry if I mistook you for someone that had something to say on the topic at hand.

THE:MILKMAN

That image is not official. There is no info available about power delivery.

Granted, but even Brad Sams update shows what is likely the figure 8 connector. I'm just curious why Sony used the figure 8 connector in OG PS4 (250W PSU) but switched to the 'kettle' connector for PS4 Pro if it wasn't required.

That sounds good, everyone should be happy then. Thanks.
This is what damn near every insider has been saying for months that the machines are very very close in terms of raw power.
If one is 12TF then the other is not far ahead or behind that mark.
Its really going to come down to games and services which is alright by me.

Everyone will be very happy with these machines.

Just throwing this out there so not a guess in the least.

Even if the real TF number comes out at 9ish with the new tech that is still a monster upgrade over even the current Xbox One X.
Well thats going to suck, if true. I don't mind it but just wish that MS and Sony can push the machines atleast above 10TF. Guess im greedy for them squeezing every ounce out of these machines.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
a-1202064.jpeg

7er0th

Neo Member
Series X comes with plugin GPU? We haven't seen the back side of the case yet.
Ah, so we have the back side. Time to expand my [probably absurd] notion with the safety protocols off.

One enclosure, two plugin trays.
The board would have to include APU & memory... maybe M2?

Why? PC-like enclosure, PC-like up-gradability. Trade-in your Lockhart for an Anaconda... or whatever else they come up with 18/24 months after release. Basically it would be a PC sans hassle. No can opener required.

/fap

V4skunk

Banned
I say this as a PlayStation fan, You could tell by Jim’s body language, Sony is shook. They have the weaker console hence the focus on “best games.” What games Jim, y’all haven’t bought any new studios lately and most of your heavy hitters either just put a game out or are STILL making one this gen. Microsoft caught song with they pants down and they sent jim out to damage control talking about sales of this current gen. No mention of backwards compatibility in those slides either? Oof.
PS5 X86 architecture means backwards compatability is almost 100% guaranteed with ps4.

Teraflops this. Teraflops that.

Can we all just get passed this and enjoy the fact that both MS and Sony is going to come out hard with machines both equally powerful and surely going to be paired with great content.

MS just bought new studios and they're going to put alot of resources into crafting amazing games. That alone should be enough to get excited. They also have Gamepass and will also be branching out to PC more.

Sony is Sony. Can't argue with their stable of studios and content. Most likely we will see a Gamepass competitor. Also we're going to get a premium console that should be on the same level as the Series X in terms of built quality.

Then we have things like Ray Tracing, 3D Audio, SSD's, proper CPU's. I'd never thought i'd see Ray Tracing and SSD's in any gen in the foreseeable future but here we are.

This alone is reason to get hyped.

GET HYPED my brothers and sisters! WE ABOUT TO EAT!

Disco_

Nextgen consoles CPU: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-4800u

IMO. HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 whatcha think?

Since CPU only is 15W I expect some kind of improvement, like a bigger L3 cache (32MB instead of 8MB for example).
They'd go with an upclocked 4800H, if anything. That would make it 45w-55w TDP, almost what the desktop 3700x is. If we assume the flute bench was accurate, they will not be using the full 32mb of the desktop chips, That takes up a lot of die space.

welshrat

I dont care if its 9, 10 or more teraflops. What we will get are consoles that are capable of delivering 100+ FPS in 1080 and 1440p and on top of that we also get real time ray tracing. Thats all I need. Imagine all those new FPS games on console on a 65 inch fresync TV with 100+ FPS.

This

welshrat

Personally I think both will be around 9 - 10 Tflops RDNA, only my opinion and I don't care either way. I Will only get the PS5 as I have an awesome gaming rig so really have no need for Xbox but can understand the excitement for others.

Disco_

Granted, but even Brad Sams update shows what is likely the figure 8 connector. I'm just curious why Sony used the figure 8 connector in OG PS4 (250W PSU) but switched to the 'kettle' connector for PS4 Pro if it wasn't required.
IIRC, the pro has a >310w PSU in it. A 345w PSU in a ~175w system telsl me it's probably a cheap, inefficient PSU. Efficiency is likely in the 60-70% load area. If the XSX is >200-250 as some suggest and comes with a 275w plug, they must be using a pricey, efficient PSU.

xool

I thought the C8 or 'figure 8' connector limits the PSU to 250W? The PS4 Pro, and OG PS3 before it, both had the higher rated 3 prong C14/'kettle' inlet as they had >300W PSUs.

In any case I'm just surprised it wouldn't use the C14 inlet if it is indeed a >300W PSU.
So I just went to browse the restera thread because of the fanboy console war shitshow this thread has turned into .. and apparently in the US they let you put 10A through a cassette lead

that's 1250W. Might be enough.

i saw some comments people worried about 9TF + ryzen could do, i already posted this before, this is the only Real Time trailer of a next gen game i saw in the game awards, the graphics are good (for an early kit) and look at those movements, looks like every leaf has it own physics (and thats what ryzen does).

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I dont care if its 9, 10 or more teraflops. What we will get are consoles that are capable of delivering 100+ FPS in 1080 and 1440p and on top of that we also get real time ray tracing. Thats all I need. Imagine all those new FPS games on console on a 65 inch fresync TV with 100+ FPS.
Would this be at XbX and Pro settings though at 100fps, I'm no expert but curious.

i saw some comments people worried about 9TF + ryzen could do, i already posted this before, this is the only Real Time trailer of a next gen game i saw in the game awards, the graphics are good (for an early kit) and look at those movements, looks like every leaf has it own physics (and thats what ryzen does).

This does not look that spectacular imo. But this does.

DaGwaphics

I guess 9 or 10 would be a workable number. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_loudly_crying:

Traditionally the consoles use lower clocks than desktop GPUs. Maybe everyone is overestimating the clock speeds. Stadia did choose 10, theoretically they could have chosen anything (not trying to hit a MSRP).

The people in the know hear 10 and think, "great". The gamers hear it and think "great", but then they think what about 11, 12, or 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom