• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AMD github leaks are simply the most credible, detailed and convincing things we have seen to date on either console outside of Microsoft's Series X reveal and statements made by Sony. Out of context? Certainly. Maybe old info? Certainly possible. But totally false and unrelated to next gen consoles? Definitely not. The information contained within those leaks were powerful and highly convincing with many AMD employees with their names to the documents. We implying someone made that elaborate a fake to mess with people?

If the AMD github leak is inconclusive what do we consider unverified information from all kinds of insiders, pastebins and twitter rumors who are unable to provide the kind of detail we got from the AMD leak? Everybody at some point has said something. What they suspect or think, but the AMD github leaks provided us with raw data straight from AMD. No insider has yet taken the risk to deliver as much detail as what was inside those leaks.
Inconclusive may have been the wrong term to use in my initial post. Incomplete should have been used instead. Github leaks don't tell the full story which is why insiders have not confirmed anything apart from Matt (Era) who stated to move on from that info.
Series X is supposedly at 12TF and the Github leaks put PS5 at 9.2TF
That goes against the general consensus that both are neck and neck in terms of raw power.

CAN SOMEONE JUST FUCKING LEAK SOMETHING, REALLY GETTING SICK OF ALL THE TEASING. CBOAT came back and said nothing lol
CBOAT - 'Iz this ting on'

Yes its ON motherfucker so spill the beans lol :p

since when?
was it on PS1? no... was it on PS2? no... was it on PS3? no... is it now on PS4 pro? not really

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Gross.

Old games really look crap lol

*EDIT*
Sorry for double post.

Last edited:
since when?
was it on PS1? no... was it on PS2? no... was it on PS3? no... is it now on PS4 pro? not really

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Of course it was with ps3. Many 360 multis being better plain mattered. PS4 vs xbox one? It absolutely mattered, who are you kidding? I personally didn't care, but it mattered to many outside of that.

original xbox vs ps2 didn't matter. xbox one vs ps4 pro mattered, but the cake was already baked essentially. It will almost certainly matter going into the new gen. How much others will care, doesn't matter.

I would be primarily series X first with ps5 my secondary even if ps5 had stronger multis because I don't make my decisions that way, even though I like knowing my preferred system is as powerful as possible.

It is inconclusive because we don't know what, in particular, was being tested. The 36 compute units are the exact same amount as the number of CU's on the PS4 Pro. It could be a PS4 Pro boost mode stress test.

You don't need 2GHZ to test PS4 Pro boost. The superior GPU simply existing is enough to test PS4 Pro BC.

Inconclusive may have been the wrong term to use in my initial post. Incomplete should have been used instead. Github leaks don't tell the full story which is why insiders have not confirmed anything apart from Matt (Era) who stated to move on from that info.
Series X is supposedly at 12TF and the Github leaks put PS5 at 9.2TF
That goes against the general consensus that both are neck and neck in terms of raw power.

In fairness, they can still be 12 and 9.2 and still neck and neck. Games would look just as amazing on PS5 as Series X, and exclusives could easily top what's on series x cause it's about more than just hardware. It's going to be places like DF that have to point out the differences to us. We will know the differences, but if we were never told the specs, it'd be far harder to claim that the two systems aren't more or less neck and neck.

And, yes, I would say they are incomplete those leaks. There are things I've personally heard that don't fully line up, but I'm just inclined to go with what the leaks say until further notice, you know?

Last edited:
That test showed full 18wgp being used with a comment "full chip result". The chip is a 36cu chip not just 36 cu for BC test.

Yup, and that "full chip result" doesn't have hardware ray tracing, which has been confirmed by the Chief Architect multiple times & by CEO of Sony

Oh wait, this is where we cherry pick incomplete info dumps and disregard official/confirmed facts in order to push a narrative....

Nevermind me, carry on!:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:
In fairness, they can still be 12 and 9.2 and still neck and neck. Games would look just as amazing on PS5 as Series X, and exclusives could easily top what's on series x cause it's about more than just hardware. It's going to be places like DF that have to point out the differences to us. We will know the differences, but if we were never told the specs, it'd be far harder to claim that the two systems aren't more or less neck and neck.

And, yes, I would say they are incomplete those leaks. There are things I've personally heard that don't fully line up, but I'm just inclined to go with what the leaks say until further notice, you know?
How's this possible?
Sorry not meaning to come across as being rude but i genuinely curious to know what would make them equal with such a large performance gap?

Yup, and that "full chip result" doesn't have hardware ray tracing, which has been confirmed by the Chief Architect multiple times & by CEO of Sony

Oh wait, this is where we cherry pick incomplete info dumps and disregard official/confirmed facts in order to push a narrative....

Yup. Also one of the things about the Github leak that i don't fully understand. Yet the incomplete data was jumped on by Digital Foundry and only reason would be for them clicks.

Last edited:

Disco_

These were regression tests. Any reason why you think those would mention RT? It's more about understanding what was shown rather than dismissing it due to ignorance.
sweet sweet irony

After this gen, I’ll be surprised if a really big third party let Microsoft money hat them for fear of it backfiring with how poorly Xbox performed this gen.

Id think they’d be cautious before committing to shutting out the massive PlayStation audience. Unless they feel confident somehow in series x.

Even games Microsoft got marketing for still ended up selling better on PlayStation this gen.

Banned
xbox 360, this gen, and gta came out on ps2 long before on xbox.

well 1 year for Vice City and a few weeks for San Andreas

After this gen, I’ll be surprised if a really big third party let Microsoft money hat them for fear of it backfiring with how poorly Xbox performed this gen.

oh yeah, can't only release to a system where the predecessor had an install-base of ONLY 40 to 50 million...

Last edited:

squarealex

since when?

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not questioning the power of the Xbox Original. I love this machine.
But If I remember correctly, Splinter Cell (and the sequel) was outported by Singapour Ubisoft and was just trashported on both GC / PS2. The game is originally only for Xbox Originals.
For GTA3. It was release 2 years after the original PS2 with a newer version of the engine. Even the PC version use old model polygon

Last edited:

Banned
I'm not questioning the power of the Xbox Original. I love this machine.
But If I remember correctly, Splinter Cell (and the sequel) was outported by Singapour Ubisoft and was just trashported on both GC / PS2. The game is originally only for Xbox Originals.
For GTA3. It was release 2 years after the original PS2 with a newer version of the engine. Even the PC version use old model polygon

well it doesn't really matter who ported it... also it wasn't a trash port, neither were the ones before, they literally changed the level structure to accommodate for the PS2 hardware... the GameCube was shafted tho that's true,. the GameCube got basically straight PS2 ports, often glitchy.
the point is, the Xbox outperformed in every game, and it didn't make a difference. there were games where the PS2 ports had to have the whole lighting model removed and replaced by a simplified version, games like TimeSPlitters had a more limited Leveleditor on PS2, or some games had 4player splitscreen on Xbox but only 2 player splitscreen on PS2 (even if you had a multitap)

the point is, it was never hardware power that decided which console wins... which is why I highlighted a big hardware advantage and how it didn't help Microsoft... and it didn't help Nintendo for that matter with the gamecube also stomping on the PS2 in terms of hardware.

multiplats looking better on your console is a huge selling point.

so I replied to the comment above with examples.

here's one for the GameCube:
maxresdefault.jpg

gallery_278824_921_58201.jpg

the game was not only timed exclusive, it also looked better and sold worse on gamecube.
they literally had to remove whole trees, replace every single texture in the game with a lower res one, and reduce detail on basically everything to port that over.

Last edited:

Disco_

It mention RT in the same tests for others chips...
Yes, RT was mentioned for arden and sparkman. The issue with your statement is that they weren't going through regression testing, so there was no RT mentioned in same tests. There was no testing data, just theoretical data.
No reason to have RT enabled when testing for ps4 or ps4 pro compatibility.

Last edited:

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
well 1 year for Vice City and a few weeks for San Andreas

oh yeah, can't only release to a system where the predecessor had an install-base of ONLY 40 to 50 million...
i mean just because you have 40-50 million consoles sold doesnt equal that in sales, ps4 has over 100 million and spiderman sold 15 million. Think he means no matter how many console sales you have you only get a faction of people buying. Since ps4 has a higher install base means its more likely it will sell more copies than a console with less systems out

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, RT was mentioned for arden and sparkman. The issue with your statement is that they weren't going through regression testing, so there was no RT mentioned in same tests. There was no testing data, just theoretical data.
However excuse fits your agenda.
The specs will come public soon... let’s see which excuse you will make.

Last edited:
Though that goes back to the full chip not having RT which doesn't line up with Sony's confirmation of the PS5 having RT.

ya not gonna argue with a bozo that thinks games looking better on a particular console is not a selling point.
You provided no examples and are now relying on ad hominem. What does that say about the validity of your argument?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

i mean just because you have 40-50 million consoles sold doesnt equal that in sales, ps4 has over 100 million and spiderman sold 15 million. Think he means no matter how many console sales you have you only get a faction of people buying. Since ps4 has a higher install base means its more likely it will sell more copies than a console with less systems out

It's all about the Benjamins. If MS writes a check big enough to offset the difference in profit, that could be the safest bet for the dev. A bird in the hand as they say...

It does not.
There should be no one still questioning PS5 having HW RT. Too many people from cerny to klee to matt have confirmed it.
The full chip doesn't mention RT, though.

Also, if Oberan is being regression tested, what's being regressed? The clock speed? It already ran at a super high frequency. So that leaves us the CUs.

Disco_

The full chip doesn't mention RT, though.

Also, if Oberan is being regression tested, what's being regressed? The clock speed? It already ran at a super high frequency. So that leaves us the CUs.
Regression testing is BC testing. They're making sure the revisions in the current chip haven't broken compatibility with previous hardware/software. The changes in mem bandwidth are likely what's being tested. They've gone from 14gbps chips, to 16gbps chips to what seem like underclocked 18gbps chips.

some info from someone who does have the data and is capable of interpreting it better than me

1. I didnt find anything in the files that says Oberon doenst have VRS and RayTracing; there just arent any test results relating to that. The tests were mainly done on basic stuff (intra GPU bandwidth, texel/pixel rates).
2. Nothing in the files indicates that Oberon is based on Navi10 or RDNA1 (or RDNA2; there is just information about WGPs/Shader Arrays)

...Ariel (Pre-Silicon) tests are from March, Oberon (Post-Silicon) are form May.
Pretty clear imo.

We know the V dev kits went out in ~april

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Hey. what about Dying Light 2 as the non-japanese, non-Western game that OsirisBlack OsirisBlack said was the reason MS was Killing it with games next gen. He said MS wanted to buy the studio but it would likely just be exclusive. They're one of the Polish studios we were speculationg Xbox was trying to buy and they're Eastern European.

I don't think it would break the internet if it went exclusive, but the rest of it fits.

FrozenFlame

Hey. what about Dying Light 2 as the non-japanese, non-Western game that OsirisBlack OsirisBlack said was the reason MS was Killing it with games next gen. He said MS wanted to buy the studio but it would likely just be exclusive. They're one of the Polish studios we were speculationg Xbox was trying to buy and they're Eastern European.

I don't think it would break the internet if it went exclusive, but the rest of it fits.

I was thinking the same. As for the Japanese game, from what I've been following of this thread and Osiris hints/banter with Timdog (plus other rumors), I'm guessing it's Street Fighter 6.

Also, hi gaf, long time lurker.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Where did Osiris imply Microsoft was looking at third party money hats and big studios to buy? I’ve seen it mentioned but havent read it for my self. Thanks.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Where did Osiris imply Microsoft was looking at third party money hats and big studios to buy? I’ve seen it mentioned but havent read it for my self. Thanks.

Here ya go

Mrdeveus

Its not a money hat if you own the studio.

They aren't selling and if they are I haven't heard about it.

There is absolutely no hint I can give that wouldn't just tell the entire situation both companies (MS and Sony) are guilty. Its part of the reason I keep saying how good MS games library is about to be. They are literally KILLING it. One company is JP the other which would be a timed or content exclusive is Not Japanese or Western even though big daddy MS wants to buy them outright. That's the one that would break the internet.

Edited to add: I hope it doesn't happen and that's not hating on MS that's me as a gamer wanting to play this particular game on PC.

Techland or people can fly is a good bet

I was thinking the same. As for the Japanese game, from what I've been following of this thread and Osiris hints/banter with Timdog (plus other rumors), I'm guessing it's Street Fighter 6.

Also, hi gaf, long time lurker.

Ugh, I hope it's not SF6. I still think SFV being PS-only (console-wise) was bullshit and it also screwed over the game's reception since the release date got pushed so early. Not to mention, all the technical issues that've come with running the game on PS4'.

That said, I just hope SF6 in general gets it correct out the gate. SFV has a great art style (and hot ladies ;)), but it lacked in content and the netplay was garbage. I still think it should be multiplatform tho, or at least console + PC because PC mods were the only reason I kept following SFV for a long time after the launch problems really ate at the game.

But it's always been a multiplatform series IMO, just don't understand why Capcom would want to make it console-exclusive for anyone be it Sony, Microsoft or even Nintendo. It is what it is tho, just gimme some good SF6 (and keep it sexy). I'm willing to overlook it going console-exclusive again IF the game knocks it out the gate from launch and avoids the catastrophe that was SFV's. It needs to hit the sweespot SFIV managed in its day but still do the things SFV's gotten right (costumes, stages, special stage boundary KOs etc).

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

Ugh, I hope it's not SF6. I still think SFV being PS-only (console-wise) was bullshit and it also screwed over the game's reception since the release date got pushed so early. Not to mention, all the technical issues that've come with running the game on PS4'.

That said, I just hope SF6 in general gets it correct out the gate. SFV has a great art style (and hot ladies ;)), but it lacked in content and the netplay was garbage. I still think it should be multiplatform tho, or at least console + PC because PC mods were the only reason I kept following SFV for a long time after the launch problems really ate at the game.

But it's always been a multiplatform series IMO, just don't understand why Capcom would want to make it console-exclusive for anyone be it Sony, Microsoft or even Nintendo. It is what it is tho, just gimme some good SF6 (and keep it sexy). I'm willing to overlook it going console-exclusive again IF the game knocks it out the gate from launch and avoids the catastrophe that was SFV's. It needs to hit the sweespot SFIV managed in its day but still do the things SFV's gotten right (costumes, stages, special stage boundary KOs etc).

Well, i can only imagine Capcom doing exclusives for Microsoft and it would kind of fit the Square/Nintendo thing that was mentioned.

The alternative would be Sega with the Yakuza or Persona series, which i highly doubt it would happen.

If it was the other way around, i would guess it was Sony getting a Remedy exclusive, obviously Alan Wake 2 (or/and a remaster).

Hope he doesn’t catch anything and bring it back with him.

Too late.
How's this possible?
Sorry not meaning to come across as being rude but i genuinely curious to know what would make them equal with such a large performance gap?

Yup. Also one of the things about the Github leak that i don't fully understand. Yet the incomplete data was jumped on by Digital Foundry and only reason would be for them clicks.

That gives Xbox Series X a performance edge, yes, but in terms of capabilities they really wouldn't be all that far off in terms of how good games on each can look. Even with a performance gap, they are cards in a similar ballpark of graphics capability, features and performance. If a game is 4k 30fps on Series X, what is it on PS5 with that gap, possibly also 4K 30 at the same graphics settings? The difference may come in 60fps titles where maybe the ps5 is lower res but similar settings. We would need to obsess over the details. Nobody will just look at a game and think, yep, Series X is clearly way more powerful. It won't be night and day.

Last edited:
Well, i can only imagine Capcom doing exclusives for Microsoft and it would kind of fit the Square/Nintendo thing that was mentioned.

The alternative would be Sega with the Yakuza or Persona series, which i highly doubt it would happen.

If it was the other way around, i would guess it was Sony getting a Remedy exclusive, obviously Alan Wake 2 (or/and a remaster).

Oh I agree it's a very possible thing, but it'd be a hard pill for me to swallow. I was thinking something via SEGA would be more likely because they and MS have a pretty long relationship going back to OG Xbox, and a very good one as well (I'd actually argue it's generally been a better one than with Nintendo, since that one usually just equates to Sonic games). Maybe bringing back a classic IP of theirs that can be tooled for the modern era while still respecting its roots?

I did hear some stuff from other people around late last year speculating a Sony/Remedy thing, like Sony maybe purchasing them. Don't think they would actually purchase them but maybe funding an Alan Wake 2 could be possible.

If MS's thing does turn out to be SF6, I'll admit it will be a tough pill to swallow. But if they at least let a PC port happen and the game isn't rushed or missing content (or has shitty online play) like SFV did, that'd make it easier to accept. Oh, and no dumb controller sync issues during tournaments (seems to have just been a regular PS4 thing though; can't remember those kind of issues happening with 360, granted everyone probably played wired on those systems and they had proprietary controller ports).

YakimaG

Neo Member
Everybody celebrating on one side based on those AMD leaks (essentially small test runs for more complete chips) are going to be disappointed. I can say with certainty while the tests are real, the PS5 chip has over 40 CUs.

Who has the stronger console shouldn't be considered as case closed, and the advantage isn't exactly on Xbox's side in that department. Sony has kept their cards close to their chest, very close, and as a result appear poised to surprise everybody again like they did in 2013. Only this time, there hasn't been a superdae style leak that accurately depicts most of Sony's plans. Sony did not skimp on their GPU. It is competitive with Xbox GPU. In fact, what has annoyed me recently has been all the vagueness, so I'll just flat out say it here. The PS5 GPU is stronger and larger than the Xbox chip. They're close, but Sony wins in that department, and anybody that doubts it come speak to me after the reveal.

Who the hell am I? Why should you believe me? I can't say because, well, NDAs are a bitch, and I'm not a fan of being hauled into court, but I'm not in agreement with how quiet Sony has been when they have the better box, so just consider me a friend tossing you guys a bone. I won't be participating too heavily in this thread because, quite frankly I don't want all the attention, but I see a lot of people settling on this ridiculous 9.2TFLOPs mess and I cringe when I see it. No, Sony isn't running their GPU as hot as some are thinking. Those 2GHz numbers were literally stress tests. No more, no less. And BC does not hinder Sony from increasing their CUs, cause they clearly have.

Everyone is assuming what form factor sony is going with based on their dev kit, don't. Microsoft aren't the only ones willing to draw more power in the next gen from their console. Sony are not designing a $399 console, they are shooting straight at the $499 price point and will likely have to take a loss because their SSD (SWEET JESUS THAT SSD!!!) is no game. They probably could have hit $399 easy without it, but I'm not mad at them.

And to add further context to Bluepoints tweet, "stay hungry" stop overreacting and getting nervous that the 9.2TFLOPS PS5 is real or a thing. It isn't, and they are fully aware of this. I will repeat because no other insider has made it quite clear yet, too much vagueness. The PS5 GPU is greater than 12.5 Teraflops, but less than 14TF. Is above 40 CUs (bye bye 5700 range navi - the thing that bugged us the most probably)

In all honesty when Phil Spencer put the Scarlett chip in his profile, and Xbox started flexing, Sony should have done the same. It would have been most interesting to see what measurements everybody came back with on both, and I will leave it at that on the chip size. On hardware ray tracing, both consoles are more or less similar, there is no super, special secret sauce. The story is just about the same there. I expect few games to use it because of the performance penalty, which is why you probably see Sony not mouthing off on that front. Xbox will find themselves in a precarious position to be pushing it so hard and then fail to deliver on it. Sony is choosing to take the humble route, but there is no advantage on either side for RT. It's a wash.

And finally, again, I know nobody here has any reason to believe a single word of what I just said, but trust when I tell you guys everything I say here you can take to the bank. We are in the early development phase of a title that will release first on Xbox even though all of our initial work, tests and benchmarks for performance, basically our entire invested time since the game was a concept, were done on ps5 until I guess a deal was made? We are not cross-platform. Next Gen Only. So now we have to do our best show pony routine and start building for xbox first with a later release on PS5 (might even drag us up on stage or something to show some ass). One of those fake exclusives as it were. We went from building for one powerful spec to now having to develop for an entirely different beast and its weaker kid brother. SSD optimizations (what the fuck do we need those for anymore?) Fan fucking tastic. I'm sure our art guys are loving it right now.

I’m done ranting, see you guys at reveal.

It's sounding a lot like it could be Cyberpunk, and CD Projeck ain't exactly hurting for funds so I'm still queasy on that even happening. But as for the JP company, there's probably a chance it's SEGA.

Which I mean, I don't know how I feel about that, since Sonic & Mario are like step brothers these days, but I"m guessing MS would treat them like they treat Minecraft and still let them develop/publish certain games for Nintendo and Sony platforms in addition to Xbox and PC, such as Sonic and Yakuza.

If it's not SEGA then I'm hard-pressed to guess who else it could be. Likely not Square-Enix or Capcom, but maybe Konami? I'd picture Konami being more of a Sony thing tho if either of them at all honestly. But in all of these cases, they'd be looking at spending a few billion. Not as much as for Bethesda (highest would be Square-Enix, then Konami, then SEGA, then Capcom), but still well north of $2 billion for any of them.
Could be From Software or even Namco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom