• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marketing.

Btw, regarding the doubled shaders, shouldn't that mean we're getting more per teraflops like Nvidia? So no more reading "1TF Nvidia = 1000TF AMD"? Hopefully 1:1?

shaders have not doubled. the shader count per render front end has indeed halfed. but yes that should help getting closer to nvidia gaming perf / flop and energy efficiency.

all that on the assumption that rumor is even true...

Last edited:
If thats ends up true, a 2TF GPU power is unnoticeable compared to better asset streaming and loading.

I would say Sony engineers have outsmarted MS yet again .
But we didn't know this about the PS5 until Sony said something, Microsoft hasn't said anything. So I wouldn't count on that quite yet. We should wait until E3 for more information.

SonGoku

didn't read yet, but komachi posted this after the 8SE Thing...
I think komachi is hinting at a GCN type arch change
giphy.webp

LordOfChaos

Rumors have it that Cell's final form is the PS5's SSD magic sauce. Devs have said they can't believe Cerny pulled it off, but the old boy did it again.

I know yall's joking (i think...), but really, Apple effectively reused the A10 processor from the iPhone 7 as the T2 SSD controller in macs and ended up being the most badass SSD controller around when it launched. Cell would be way smaller...Let's see, 234 million transistors, vs 3.3 billion.

I mean, would still make more sense just to have the standard SSD controllers out there, but that would be a fun way to sneak Cell back in somewhere lol. Or make it an APU and the PS3 BC chip also handles IO when not in BC mode...

It won't happen, but how fun would it be if the weird little dude was somewhere in there lol.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Rumors have it that Cell's final form is the PS5's SSD magic sauce. Devs have said they can't believe Cerny pulled it off, but the old boy did it again.
CELL2 is essentially a two pronged attack originally envisioned by Ken Kutaragi and now Cerny as he takes over the role of his Shisho (translator note: master, teacher)
It will power the SSD magic sauce, RT operations and other possible uses devs come up with.
I meant its reputation in the PS3 wasn't the best.
It had great reputation with 1st party
Also this time around its an auxiliary processor not the main CPU (ZEN2) and the Navi GPU its beast.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
CELL2 is essentially a two pronged attack originally envisioned by Ken Kutaragi and now Cerny as he takes the role of his Shisho (translator note: master, teacher)
It will power the SSD magic sauce, RT operations and other possible uses devs come up with.

It had great reputation with 1st party
Also this time around its an auxiliary processor not the main CPU (ZEN2) and the Navi GPU its beast.
Wouldn't it complicate things? Wasn't the whole PS3 problem it being complicated?
Not the teraplots :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Wait a minute.. I just noticed the Kugoson :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
CELL2 is essentially a two pronged attack originally envisioned by Ken Kutaragi and now Cerny as he takes the role of his Shisho (translator note: master, teacher)
PS3 HBCC(hybrid backwards compatibility chip) is an obvious choice too as you wouldn't have to emulate the Cell, just use a wrapper on RSX.

SonGoku

Wouldn't it complicate things? Wasn't the whole PS3 problem it being complicated?
Nope, because 3rd parties wouldn't need to fiddle with CELL if they dont want to, Zen2 and Navi GPU are competent enough on their own.
Picture the CELL as a free performance gift from Cerny to devs willing to embark in the journey of using CELL.

SSD magic sauce would be done on a fw level and RT ops could be enabled on engines to make it more dev friendly

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom