• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of these are true.

2GHz was insane to do in a console.

It was always speculated with Oberon being Nav10.

At one time Ariel and Oberon were the same just with a name change.

Rt and vrs were just turned off.

PS5 being RDNA 2 flips all this on its head.

So that's the million dollar question right now. Just how many cu's does the PS5 gpu has? RDNA 2, but only using 36? 40?

What exactly is Oberon? And what exactly did the tests show?

Or was it just BC testing...like many said. With the extra cu's not showing up...
And keep in mind, there is zero mention of 40 CU’s in GitHub leak. All we have is the 36 number. We have no idea how many CU’s were disabled for the testing.

Last edited:

CthulhuPL

The thing about Sonys time frame and their silence is...

Who knows.

Really, that may seem anti climatic. But that’s it. Who knows. Is it corona? Is it behind schedule? Is it fear of being slower? Is it big PS4 titles coming out? Is it just not time? Is there nothing to any of this at all?

Who knows.

What I do know however is this...

Sony, for all their arrogance, cockiness and big headedness at times... are not stupid. They are not deaf. They are not blind.

So they hear everybody, the cries, the moans, the people posting funny videos on their tweets.

Whatever they are doing, they know full well.

It’s just not time... Yet. But when they do, expect bombs. Even if it’s 9.2. Even if it’s 11.6. Even if it’s 12.4. They will hammer the point home so much it will make most wish they were silent again.

Because once you start the media machine, it doesn’t stop. And Sony will NOT stop. It will make MS’s media posts look tame.

It’s coming. Just... Not yet. 👍🏻

Soon

To many people think PS5 is RDNA 2 and 12-13tf on the words of so called insiders who are more than likely full of BS. People should expect the worst 9.2tf no RDNA 2 and a possible delay till 2021. Until Sony say different no one on neo gaf knows what's really going on with the PS5..
But these insiders were right about XSX. So they’re wrong just about the PS5?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Listen up, today is my birthday (for real) and I have a lot of family around, presents and a meal... so I’ll be here more than usual 🤣

pqcb9uW.jpg

As a birthday treat can you guys just start being a bit more nice to each other? Cheer up a a bit, eh? This should be a fun thread about technical chat and stuff, a few wish lists and whatever. Instead it’s full of idiots moaning about 9 floppy gits hubs beating off 14 floppy idiots. Just...

XLiXWWV.jpg

Happy Birthday!

But these insiders were right about XSX. So they’re wrong just about the PS5?
Different insiders.
And very different claims.

Non of the insiders claiming Ps5 is close or stronger said Series X is 12TF.
And every insider who said Series X is 12TF assumed that console would be the most powerful.

Also no Insider said/leaked anything about Ps5 anyways.
It's just a lot of prophecy talk.

Last edited:
Fascinating.

I don't see any way that the systems don't end up relatively equal. The evidence points to it being so.

Isn't Lockhhart supposedly an all-digital, streaming box? I'm still not sure that the market is entirely ready for that. I'm still a physical game kind of person.

Microsoft can and will push forward in pioneering that road a lot better than Google has. What a disaster of a system Stadia has been so far.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've seen talk on the internet that the reason why Sony are holding out on more PS5 info is because they have 3 major games still coming out this year. However I don't think this makes much sense because if PS5 has enhanced BC these PS4 games would benefit more because people would buy them because of PS5 hype, unless Sony has launch PS5 games which look vastly better and they don't want them to steal the PS4 games thunder.

Still wanna sell PS4 boxes with those games, locking people into the ecosystem and luring them into a PS5 eventually.

Those buying PS4s with those games are not early adopters for PS5. Especially with launch shortages.

Part of me wants to see the Xbox fanboy meltdown, an anti-github meltdown would be just as hilarious to be honest.

I really believe both of those camps are going to be dining on their equal portions of the black bandit.

How is it even possible for both to eat crow? Either GitHub was an accurate depiction of the PS5's GPU or it wasn't. And given the confirmation of RDNA2, it looks like it wasn't accurate at all.

If it had anything to do with the PS5, it was the old RDNA1 GPU they were going with for a 2019 launch. Those plans were scrapped, and so was the hope of some that that will be the PS5's GPU.

Null_Key

Neo Member
To many people think PS5 is RDNA 2 and 12-13tf on the words of so called insiders who are more than likely full of BS. People should expect the worst 9.2tf no RDNA 2 and a possible delay till 2021. Until Sony say different no one on neo gaf knows what's really going on with the PS5..
I would ask the question are your incredibly high or incredibly stupid, but I already know my answer, you don't get high do you? I mean AMD just confirmed one part of the information, but that can't possibly be true , right? I suppose you are the type to believe if Phil Spencer popped out, pulled his pants and pointed his junk saying 12 TF, then you would believe it, right?

Neo Blaster

And he was 100% right. Sony is arrogant and will keep its business until it capitalize on the losses, just look at what they're doing with their TV's, phones, and the huge comeback, or dominance in the professional camera atmosphere.

Microsoft on the other hand will scrap Xbox Division with zero regrets if they still think it's a waste of time and money.

So yes, it's the last chance for Xbox, but another underdog will rise to fill the void if they ever vanish, might be SEGA this time or Nintendo, or even Samsung/Apple/Huawei.
Didn't Phil once said in an interview he had a though job trying to convince Satia Nadella to keep Xbox division? This is why he's going all in with Gamepass and Xcloud, if they fail I think MS will axe the division.

No i'm insider I know someone who knows someone etc,etc, PS5 will be 13tf + RDNA2 out 2020 and $399.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes. I'm an insider to.
Both console will be above 8TF and they won't be close in performance.
Those were the stupid statements "Sony insiders" made.

I will be 100% right about this, and I'll give everyone in her $1000 if it turns out to be wrong.

Didn't Phil once said in an interview he had a though job trying to convince Satia Nadella to keep Xbox division? This is why he's going all in with Gamepass and Xcloud, if they fail I think MS will axe the division.

Maybe the HW portion of it, but I think they would still make games. Maybe go 3rd party and put GamePass and xCloud on the other systems.

geordiemp

Yes. I'm an insider to.
Both console will be above 8TF and they won't be close in performance.
Those were the stupid statements "Sony insiders" made.

I will be 100% right about this, and I'll give everyone in her $1000 if it turns out to be wrong.

We are just getting stupid trolls now, little kids giggling in bedrooms,.....sigh,

Is that you timdog ?

Last edited:

Here is what Microsoft insider Paul Thurrot said about Xbox and Mixer.

https://www.petri.com/paul-thurrotts-short-takes-microsoft-earnings-special-edition-12

Video games are still not a great business for Microsoft

Microsoft’s Xbox business continues to be a bottomless pit of worry, with no profits over the years and falling revenues in the past two years because we’re between major product releases. But the bigger issue, of course, is that the hardware side of Xbox has always underperformed. And while the subscription services part of that business that is its future—Game Pass, someday xCloud—is finally starting to see some growth, it’s still a tiny business overall. Microsoft reported that xCloud—which is in a very limited public preview that it doesn’t charge for, is somehow “off to a strong start,” and in more realistically good news, Game Pass subscribers did double YOY. But from what number to what number? I do feel that Microsoft will eventually see success in video games, but that will happen in the cloud. And a big part of that success will come from third parties—notably, Sony, the market leader—which will use Azure for their own services. Until then, Xbox will keep treading water. And losing money.

“Microsoft’s Mixer streaming platform has a tough hill to climb, but it’s not insurmountable”

Let me reword that for you: “Microsoft’s Mixer streaming platform has an insurmountable hill to climb

People still believe Ps5 is stronger than Series X or even close?
Why do you guys think no insider said anything since a year. They all went radio silent. No news about Ps5. Still no one said the actual Ps5 TFLOP number or how much more powerful the console is compared to Ps4 or Ps4 Pro.

The 12TF (that turned out to be true) for Xbox Series X came up half a year ago.
Ps5 will be around 8.5TF and that is fine.

7w9hwM9.jpg

DaGwaphics

Fascinating.

I don't see any way that the systems don't end up relatively equal. The evidence points to it being so.

Isn't Lockhhart supposedly an all-digital, streaming box? I'm still not sure that the market is entirely ready for that. I'm still a physical game kind of person.

Microsoft can and will push forward in pioneering that road a lot better than Google has. What a disaster of a system Stadia has been so far.

We don't really know what Lockhart is yet. When talk first started in 2018, it was a hybrid streaming device with some core components handled locally along with the streaming (I'm obviously not a dev, but this sounds like added work, LOL). When WC released the XSX info, which has proved true so far, the description appeared to change, basically with the same hardware as before acting as a lower res box.

We will see what it is, IF it is ever announced at all.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Arcturus is a data centre product?

Just curious to know why any article would suggest its in the Xbox Series X 🤔

Because nobody does their due diligence.

Long time lurker here. Just want to point out that as far as I am aware, Arcturus is not an architecture per se, it is the codename of a chip based on our good friend Vega with all graphics silicon removed. I.e there are no ROPs, TMUs or a display engine.
It's been linked to a yet to be released Radeon Instinct MI100. Supposedly a 128CU (8192sp) compute monster.

Why Vega as a basis for Arcturus? Vega is a compute beast. Instinct MI60, based on the 4096sp Vega20 (a cut down version of which is used for MI50 and Radeon 7) is apparently goes toe to toe in compute workloads eith the 815mm2, 5120 cuda core Nvidia Tesla V100.

So, I'm fairly certain Arcturus won't be used in Scarlett. It's a single chip, not an architecture, designed purely for Machine Intelligence workloads.

GameSpot or whoever was talking through their backsides putting "Arcturus" as Scarlett's architecture, and didn't do any due diligence.

This business with "Arcturus" needs to stop. Arcturus is not an architecture. It's not a successor to Vega, it is a derivative of Vega. It is a singular chip with no graphics functionality whatsoever. It has no geometry, no ROPs, no TMUs, no display output. It is just for compute. It has no other function.

_But what if they took Arcturus and put the graphics functionality back in?_

There already is Arcturus with graphics, it's called Vega 20 (Radeon VII/Instinct MI50 & MI60). It would be absolutely pointless having a 128CU Vega graphics processor in a console cause GCN is massively bottlenecked in graphics workloads. There are occupancy problems with the SIMDs, the cache hierarchy is suboptimal, and there is a geometry bottleneck.

AMD made RDNA for gaming, so Microsoft and Sony will be using Navi derivatives, with some RT customisation.
Arcturus is Vega and Vega, while being an excellent compute architecture, is woeful at graphics. Let it die.

Why is there this bizarre obsession with Arcturus?

Last edited:
oh baby, lockhart, ps5, and xsx will have enough titi flops to make fantastic new sports games for everyone, especially with dem menz playing football, American football, rugby cause they be rough and tumbling all over each other covered with sweat and dirt, grabbin one another trying to kick da ballz, throw da balls, grab da ballz, pass da ballz. ballz ballz ballz, ballz. will look fantastic in your 4k uhdtv.

sony and Microsoft got you covered, they aint be passin out those flops runnin thin honey.

bRnvqce.gif

Azu8QWe.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom