• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Fuck it
EZcnpanU4AAVrUg

Smfh, anyway keep the train going it'll end up at its destination at some point.

icerock

2.5 hours mean an hour long presentation followed by lots of dev interview later. Some choice quotes are gonna come out about the capabilities of PS5, I'm sure everyone will behave sensibly and not be salty about it. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Edit: It's delayed, what a downer. But I can understand it, they want to hold an event at a time where they are able to secure mainstream coverage for couple of days, current atmosphere doesn't allow for that. I don't think we'll have to wait for too long though, maybe a week or so.

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
Now seriously, can someone explain what is happening? Why are they canceling so many events? Something has happened? (no, I don't watch tv)

Ok, now I found the news.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Quick Netflix, prime and all streaming services cut your streams as well because of what's going on smfh. Don't agree with this decision as it has no bearing on what's going on outside. If anything we are still going through a pandemic where ppl are getting aggy and frustrated and if anything we keep calm looking forward to things such as this presentation. This shit just got me tight. I'm all for justice and have been on the fucked up end of police using their authority to disrespect me but everything can't be bad, we need gd shit to look forward to too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But I respect it. US is a major part of the PS family and what is happening right now could make the announcement seem tone deaf. To some people at least.
fuck those people. there will never be a great time to announce a conference. literally everyday we are losing 500 people each to covid 19 in like five different countries. including the u.s. should we postpone the reveal until we get to 0 deaths?

what about rapes? murder? heart attacks? daily terrorist attacks in afghanistan and iraq? i scraped my knee yesterday, delay the announcement please.

i hate when entertainment companies get involved in this shit. its just video games. no one cares what you think. you just make video games. sony needs to stfu and focus on what they do best. if anything, we need to be distracted from this insanity.

This is a bummer, for sure. In the long run it's gonna be okay. Sony still has plenty of time to have their event before MS, lot of June left. Hold this back a week or two, let things settle down, let cities/communities heal, still deliver a knockout performance a little down the line.

This is probably a savvy move overall. Bummer, but an extra week or two won't hurt.

Nickolaidas

fuck those people. there will never be a great time to announce a conference. literally everyday we are losing 500 people each to covid 19 in like five different countries. including the u.s. should we postpone the reveal until we get to 0 deaths?

what about rapes? murder? heart attacks? daily terrorist attacks in afghanistan and iraq? i scraped my knee yesterday, delay the announcement please.

i hate when entertainment companies get involved in this shit. its just video games. no one cares what you think. you just make video games. sony needs to stfu and focus on what they do best. if anything, we need to be distracted from this insanity.
If Sony planned to announce the PS5 one day after 9/11, do you think they should cancel the reveal or not?

SlimySnake

Quick Netflix, prime and all streaming services cut your streams as well because of what's going on smfh. Don't agree with this decision as it has no bearing on what's going on outside. If anything we are still going through a pandemic where ppl are getting aggy and frustrated and if anything we keep calm looking forward to things such as this presentation. This shit just got me tight. I'm all for justice and have been on the fucked up end of police using their authority to disrespect me but everything can't be bad, we need gd shit to look forward to too.
yep fuck cops and police brutality but wtf does playstation have to do with this shit.

this is infuriating. they waited six fucking months to announce their event and then cancelled it two days later. like wtf. just donate your billions, put black kids in expensive private schools, hire more black people than you currently do, who is this going to help exactly?

icerock

My man, take a breather.

It's a business decision as much a political one. Sony are pumping a lot of money into this event, those ad spots don't come cheap and it would've only ramped from here on. They want to dominate the headlines with whatever they show at the event. Apart from gaming centric websites, they wouldn't get as much mainstream coverage as they desire out of this event. Remember, for the masses, this is really the first 'reveal' event for PS5.

Does it suck? Most definitely but understandable too. Like I said, I don't expect them to delay it for too long.

Nickolaidas

yep fuck cops and police brutality but wtf does playstation have to do with this shit.

this is infuriating. they waited six fucking months to announce their event and then cancelled it two days later. like wtf. just donate your billions, put black kids in expensive private schools, hire more black people than you currently do, who is this going to help exactly?
It's about respecting what's happening, rather than changing it. Hypocritical? Maybe, but it is the respectful thing to do. If I feel like laughing in work but my colleague next to me just returned from his dad's funeral, I will try to keep a low profile and won't laugh. Out of respect.

Neo Blaster

I think It's a matter of market visibility, everybody knows USA is not the world, but gaming market is pretty big there. To showcase your product in a moment where one of the biggest markets is not paying attention wouldn't be ideal. They have to wait till the dust settles...

Does not mean I'm not pissed, of course!!

joe_zazen

lol, yeah. We’d be waiting till second coming of jesus for the reveal. we are just going to have to wait until the American news cycle cycles.

SlimySnake

If Sony planned to announce the PS5 one day after 9/11, do you think they should cancel the reveal or not?
surely this isnt 9/11.

we just had elon musk launch two astronauts into space. it was a great inspiring moment. people are craving for something special.

what else should we cancel? tv shows?
lets delay the last of us 2 again.
lets shutdown psn servers.
no one gets to play warzone until cops stop killing black people.
lets shutdown gaf. no more gaming and OT discussion. only the hell that is the politics subforum.
in fact, lets stop having sex. if your gf comes asking for some, tell her to fuck off because shes being inconsiderate. People are rioting outside!! how can we make love!!
No more masturbation. No nut June.

that will surely eliminate police brutality.

HAL-01

surely this isnt 9/11.

we just had elon musk launch two astronauts into space. it was a great inspiring moment. people are craving for something special.

lets shutdown gaf. no more gaming and OT discussion. only the hell that is the politics subforum.
in fact, lets stop having sex. if your gf comes asking for some, tell her to fuck off because shes being inconsiderate. People are rioting outside!! how can we make love!!

youre melting down, dude.
Some live in too much of a bubble to understand the real scale of what’s happening right now, not only in the us but internationally there are protests and tributes towards this civil rights cause. Sony decided it was time to step back for a bit and not take attention away from more important things.

Last edited:
What the hell. I'm incredibly disappointed at Sony for this shit.

I understand what you're saying. It is a bummer. I am really bummed, but if you try to think of the business side....

If you put yourself in the shoes of the upper business execs, there would have been people/outlets calling them insensitive or apathetic if they had been the only ones not delaying an event this week.

it doesn't hurt their timing/positioning whatsoever to push it back a week or two and let things simmer down. Businesses are being burnt to the ground in some cities. It will pass. Timing is important, and Sony still has plenty of time to get it right/perfect

aclar00

Its ok, im sure you'll find something else to do. And as much as you may think Sony is doing this out of respect...they probably arent. Its most likely a tactic. Not only do they drum up support by stating they want to allow more important voices. but it also allows for a bigger audience once the protest subside. A few hardcore gamers being upset isnt going to hurt them financially.

Sony isnt worried about distracting you....especially if the potential fallout is bigger on the other end for moving forward.

FeiRR

Banned
It's about respecting what's happening, rather than changing it. Hypocritical? Maybe, but it is the respectful thing to do. If I feel like laughing in work but my colleague next to me just returned from his dad's funeral, I will try to keep a low profile and won't laugh. Out of respect.
Around 150,000 people die every day on this planet. Claiming that some deaths are more important than others is no different to claiming that one skin colour is better.

Nickolaidas

surely this isnt 9/11.

Don't be a drama queen. It's not like the reveal will be pushed back half a year. We're talking about a few days delay, tops. This thing right now seems to have escalated in a black people rights movement … which I think is huge. I am not an American citizen, but I think it is huge when the news reach a backwater country like mine.

I get the disappointment, I'm disappointed too. But don't look at it as a humanitarian thing. Look at it as business. The PS5 reveal will be totally overshadowed in the US by what's happening. Sony doesn't want that. They want things to calm down so that the internet will talk about the PS5 in the US a lot more than they would right now.

Around 150,000 people die every day on this planet. Claiming that some deaths are more important than others is no different to claiming that one skin colour is better.

Honestly that's not the point right now, with this. The point is there are riots across he streets of America and Sony (and many others) felt it was not the best time for such a tentpole event. It's gonna be fine. This will all pass. Sony still has plenty of time on their side.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Let's not get all political and I respect everyone's view. I'm in NYC, Puertorican, and have been part of protests myself and again I disagree with this move buttttttt

Ima end it here with tht discussion.

Either way hope they have a second placeholder thts not too far away.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Don't be a drama queen. It's not like the reveal will be pushed back half a year. We're talking about a few days delay, tops. This thing right now seems to have escalated in a black people rights movement … which I think is huge. I am not an American citizen, but I think it is huge when the news reach a backwater country like mine.

I get the disappointment, I'm disappointed too. But don't look at it as a humanitarian thing. Look at it as business. The PS5 reveal will be totally overshadowed in the US by what's happening. Sony doesn't want that. They want things to calm down so that the internet will talk about the PS5 in the US a lot more than they would right now.
i think thats even worse if i look at at it as a business decision.

i get what you are saying, but like i pointed out before. this stuff happens all the time all around the globe. we are literally in the middle of a pandemic thats killed nearly 1 million people. they had no issues releasing road to ps5 two days after the u.s effectively shut down. this is just pandering and a huge overreaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom