• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brudda26

There was something about XsX ssd & decompression giving low performance needing revised hardware. Can’t find where I saw it now. But it would indicate the console not ready hence the software needing to run on PC. Could be fud.
We have heard over the past year that xbox was behind on getting hardware from the likes of scheirier etc out to developers and obviously a reason for that could be bad performance of hardware. Though I have a theory I think that the XSX SSD came along later in its development from. It would make sense as they are relying much more on software to make the most of it. If you look at sony they have put heaps of work into loads of hardware customisations for it. I'm not saying XSX doesnt have hardware customisation for it (it has some) just that there SSD development is less mature than what sony has done and that would mean less time will have been spent on that particular area. I think this is why it has the lower speed I dont think they specifically went for that I think they were behind in that area. Hence there focus on teraflops.

We have heard over the past year that xbox was behind on getting hardware from the likes of scheirier etc out to developers and obviously a reason for that could be bad performance of hardware. Though I have a theory I think that the XSX SSD came along later in its development from. It would make sense as they are relying much more on software to make the most of it. If you look at sony they have put heaps of work into loads of hardware customisations for it. I'm not saying XSX doesnt have hardware customisation for it (it has some) just that there SSD development is less mature than what sony has done and that would mean less time will have been spent on that particular area. I think this is why it has the lower speed I dont think they specifically went for that I think they were behind in that area. Hence there focus on teraflops.

As much as I'd like to make fun of MS / XBOX - I would have a hard time believing MS was going to create another generation based on HDDs.
That sounds like making up FUD to me. Whatever the problems may be at MS ( well at least it seems they have problems ) I hope they will take up pace from now on and show of really great things in the future.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I saw new foliage not shown before in the series, those loud shifting clinks, a remodelled Trial Mountain, the kind of minutiae that made me question DF's focus when analyzing the trailer.
For “those loud shifting clinks” it’s that specific car in the demo. It was added to GT Sport this year, it’s the Mazda RX Vision concept car. It sounds the same in GT Sport, it’s a Gr.3 class race car. One of my favorite cars to drive, and yeah it has a great sounding transmission, but it’s not new to GT7. Just a heads up, if you have GT Sport you can drive that car on PS4.

The big changes Polyphony showed in their GT7 trailer (which is longer on YouTube now than was shown in the show) are the return of Trial Mountain, updated career mode more like GT4 or 5, and some new cars, RT, and car tuning is back too.

It’s basically gonna have the singleplayer content GT Sport lacked, but with all the cars of Sport and more, with updated visuals all at 4K60. I’m very excited.

Brudda26

As much as I'd like to make fun of MS / XBOX - I would have a hard time believing MS was going to create another generation based on HDDs.
That sounds like making up FUD to me. Whatever the problems may be at MS ( well at least it seems they have problems ) I hope they will take up pace from now on and show of really great things in the future.
I'm not saying that, did I mention HDD at all no? Just that SSD came along later in its development so that part of the system is less mature.

Shmunter

It's far more likely that they couldn't send devkits to more devs yet (including first party). I doubt that the SSD would be giving problems now.
This, take it as you will...have no idea of the guys credentials....

Nickolaidas

Well I don't leave lol's on posts, I do get a lot of lols, but not for the reason I would hope I get them :pie_grinning_sweat:

On your other points, people don't join in here because if they actually thought the conference was decent, or have hopes for a great Xbox future, they get bombarded with lol's or non-stop comments about what a fanboy they are, or how delusional they are. Why would you even come here then? This topic is mostly Sony fans (which is ok btw), and then some die-hard fans that love it when Microsoft drops the ball. It's just not worth the time for a lot of people.
The flak MS gets for their four-days old conference is unfair, IMO. Showing us tons of game reveals without gameplay sucking dick is hypocritical when Sony did the same thing back at E3 2016 with FFVII Remake and Shenmue III. While gameplay is most certainly welcome, it's not a big deal to be lacking IN THE GAME'S REVEAL.

Halo looked plain, rushed and barebones. Anyone who disputes that is delusional. Also, telling us to look for backstage dev talks for Hellblade 2 counting as a new video was fucking embarrassing. But other than that, the showcase was rock-solid in giving you an idea what to expect in the future, especially considering how new most of those dev teams are in terms of making MS 1st party console exclusives.

As a Sony hardcore fanboy myself, I admit the shit X-Box gets on GAF is grossly unfair. But it isn't any different from visiting twitter and reading X-Box fanboys comments about what losers the 'Sony ponies' are for forking 60 bucks for a 6-hour DLC game (inferring to Miles Morales), while they will be playing 100 games for 1 buck.

Basically, any social media page/outlet which has the fanboy scale going all the way to one side can be a real unfair place for the other side.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Ok, so I have to know... Is that... Anu Start? Like some kind of product? Or is it Anus Tart...like...well sircaw sircaw could probably give us a better definition of a 'tart' but.... Yikes. Gonna stop there!

My ladies are cultured.... sometimes pickled in a jar too. :messenger_grinning:

And for your information, there is nothing wrong with tarts, i devoured many of them in my younger years. I was born to spawn.:messenger_grimmacing_

sircaw

Banned
I'm touched, brother. I really hope the best for you and all the ones you love, you had a great dad and he will always be proud of you indeed.♥

It is very cool, i suggest all Dads out there do this today.

Get a large jar, grab a wad of notes, and place them inside, also, under the very last note, i want you to add something really special, a little extra to make you child smile when he comes to the end of counting all the cash.
I want you to add a picture of Craig.:messenger_beaming:

sircaw

Banned
Wha - Sleepdoctor got banned?!

... that sucks. I liked the guy. 'Disruptive behavior'? I probably missed some posts of his, but I considered him amongst the more level-headed hardcore X-box fans ... if there is even such a thing. Was he spamming the 'report' button or something?

Sleep, if you're reading this, all the best. Take care.

Makes note... Add NICKOLAIDAS to hit list.

cragarmi

I remember @HeisenbergFX4 saying that he heard that ps5 have a more elegant RT implementation but maybe that was just a rumor.
I read somewhere it has something to do with being able to run different parts of the chip at different frequencies at the same time, not just in terms of GPU and CPU, but individual GPU cores or at the very least quads of cores. Leading to more efficient RT somehow?

cragarmi

Probably something like this (From another thread here on Era):

nuBMeaN.jpg
Yep you wanted a black ps5? Snap off the fins!

Disclamer- Sony can not be held responsible for any overheating and/or death as a result.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Makes note... Add NICKOLAIDAS to hit list.

Its a shame he is gone, its never nice to see anyone banned, well scrub that i can think of an entire list worth of people to cull and that's just in this section of the forms alone. :messenger_grinning:

On a serious note, he was leaving trigger warning on posts from people discussing Sony matters, regardless if they were correct or not, he just carpet bombed peoples replies with negative comments/emotes.

A couple of times i even tried to have a conversation with him, but because he had zero points or could not defend his actions, he just left me with, you guessed, it a trigger warning and then went on to shit post someone else's post.

Those issues it itself are not a problem, but when he actively starts to ask people to report people for not agreeing with him or one of his allies in the console post wars, well, that was a big no no from me.

These forums are amazing, you can have a laugh, have some banter and at the same time learn from more informed technical people, its a win win all the way round.

All we need to do is get rid of the Mods, they are Rubbish:messenger_grimmacing_, once we have done that, we can find someone who is cool, cough rad cough and Hip cough. Not sure if those describing terms are right for the youth but when i was a youngster i was Fly. Ok fuck it, i was never cool.

Next....

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Its a shame he is gone, its never nice to see anyone banned, well scrub that i can think of an entire list worth of people to cull and that's just in this section of the forms alone. :messenger_grinning:

On a serious note, he was leaving trigger warning on posts from people discussing Sony matters, regardless if they were correct or not, he just carpet bombed peoples replies with negative comments/emotes.

A couple of times i even tried to have a conversation with him, but because he had zero points or could not defend his actions, he just left me with, you guessed, it a trigger warning and then went on to shit post someone else's post.

Those issues it itself are not a problem, but when he actively starts to ask people to report people for not agreeing with him or one of allies in the console post wars, well, that was a big no no from me.

These forums are amazing, you can have a laugh, have some banter and at the same time learn from more informed technical people, its a win win all the way round.

All we need to do is get rid of the Mods, they are Rubbish:messenger_grimmacing_, once we have done that, we can find someone who is cool, cough rad cough and Hip cough. Not sure if those describing terms are right for the youth but when i was a youngster i was Fly. Ok fuck it, i was never cool.

Next....
Hmmm ... well, like I said, I missed some episodes, apparently.

It could entirely be that but not having devkits for your biggest studio and biggest franchise seems abit odd.
The cost of undercutting your competitor on specs ? control leaks ?
this is bs. i literally just let my ps+ expire this month and i have been a member since the very beginning.
You think it’s BS? I’ve been a PS+ member since it started. They haven’t even sent me an email or notification thanking me for all the money.
I’ve been there since they started online services and not just PS+ and i’ve never received anything from Playstation. Probably because my account is associated with a tier 3 country.
On the behalf of sony :

49nog9.jpg

ToadMan

Yeah I can’t see that MS were going HDD or even hybrid for this gen.

But I can get on board with the idea that MS just viewed the SSD as a faster loading HDD and it wasn’t until later they started to get onboard with Sony’s idea of leveraging the speed to augment RAM and perhaps find improvements in gameplay performance from it.

With the hardware being baked that would lead to the software XVA pieces to try and increase effective data throughput to get the SSD in the game so to speak.

But it’s all speculation for now. It is curious what’s going on with it but we may well be over blowing any tech issues with Xsex and it’s just that MS are trying to avoid generational talk by minimising the Xsex hardware focus for now.

Last edited:
Crazy theory time:
PlayStation and Activision have a marketing deal for Call of Duty. So far, Activision hasn't officially revealed the new Call of Duty game. The free PlayStation game for August is Modern Warfare 2 Remastered. Modern Warfare's season 5 supposedly starts on August 5 and according to some rumors and leaks there is supposed to be some content from the new COD in it. The rumored PS5 event on August is supposed to take place on the 6, so given how Activision and PS have a marketing deal, I'd say it there is a chance they are going to reveal the game at said event. All this could be hinting that the event is indeed happening next week or it could be just me making some mental gymnastics.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy theory time:
PlayStation and Activision have a marketing deal for Call of Duty. So far, Activision hasn't officially revealed the new Call of Duty game. The free PlayStation game for August is Modern Warfare 2 Remastered. Modern Warfare's season 5 supposedly starts on August 5 and according to some rumors and leaks there is supposed to be some content from the new COD in it. The rumored PS5 event on August is supposed to take place on the 6, so given how Activision and PS have a marketing deal, I'd say it there is a chance they are going to reveal the game at said event. All this could be hinting that the event is indeed happening next week or it could be just me making some mental gymnastics.
I think all of the is very likely, not such a crazy theory. The new CoD has always been show on stage at Microsoft or Sony's event at E3, so could be that they'll do the same now at another Sony event. Not sure if Sony would let a game decide the date of their event though, but could be.

Are we expecting pricing reveal during that event?

I think all of the is very likely, not such a crazy theory. The new CoD has always been show on stage at Microsoft or Sony's event at E3, so could be that they'll do the same now at another Sony event. Not sure if Sony would let a game decide the date of their event though, but could be.

Most likely, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to wait more time to reveal it.

I wouldn't say Sony let the game decide. If they have a deal(like the exclusive maps) then Sony probably will have them on their stage as part of the marketing.

In terms of pricing, it depends if they feel confident enough to go for it first given Microsoft's missteps so far. They've been reluctant to go first this entire time, so we shall see.

BGs said a while back(not long ago a couple days)that Sony had more than just one more showing.

Regardless, pre-orders for both consoles will have to start soon, I think. They can't both shy from price forever. We're rapidly approaching August and nothing.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don’t know it its funny, sad, disappointing, or a mixture of all that you and many others view such topics from such a narrow lense.

Save for selective few, who have an undying loyalty to one box which prevents them from liking another, there’s a healthy chunk of regulars on here who wanted MS keynote to kick ass. The simple fact of the matter is, they rolled up with a very meh gameplay footage of their flagship title, while announcing a bunch of stuff using CG trailer which are years away. The worst part is the brief snippets of gameplay we did see, wasn’t even running on the hardware they’ve been so proudly championing for the last 9 months or so. Also, keep in mind this keynote was preceeded by tons of PR talk from MS big suits which was a complete contradiction to what was shown. Cross-gen games won’t hold the games back? Next-gen only games are anti-consumer as you’re forcing consumer to upgrade? Timed-exclusives are a complete counter to what gaming is about? Not only they were wrong on every single count, they themselves pataked in what they previous dubbed as anti-thesis of gaming.

So, why are you and others surprised, that on a gaming enthusiast forum such as Gaf, they are catching flak? There’s a lot of room for discussion on gaming forums if fans can drop the persecution complex, it kills any potential straight-away.

It‘s comprehensively idiotic to want one company to ‘win’ completely over another, because lack of competition ALWAYS negatively affects consumer choice.

If Microsoft crash and burn, Sony will get lazy... Because all massive corporations with no competition always do. That’s bad for all of us.

I‘ve cheerfully ripped Microsoft on here, because it’s so fucking disappointing that their not putting up a decent showing.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m not much into making new threads:

PlayStation 5 Instant Access System Will Be Called Activities

Yeah, that’s a cool idea. Being able to drop straight into specific parts of a game straight from the start menu would be a great feature.

Might be terrible if me but I refused to play MGSV due to that one fact Bo 😭. I can’t. Hayter is Snake.
I'm just runin' my mouth and saying that maybe there is a diegetic reason for 'him' to not be Snake and the VA being different making sense in a narrative that's a possibility when you factor in it's Kojima....
We arent allowed to criticize this stuff? Why dont you guys join in? I was pretty critical of sony's underwhelming conference (Which btw looks like the citizen kane of conferences after the shitshow that was MS's conference).
You see that's you admitting yourself being impulsive and not reacting proportionately in context to anything but just exploding off of stuff for no fuckin reason. Always take correct context into your thinking or reading and it will be solved. Expecting E3 2015 or E3 2016 level of bang for buck was simply unrealistic for a console launch where it is know to be comparatively dry season than the rest of the generation and that is all during a COVID-19 crisis to begin with... then you go back with your current level-headedness and read what your blurbed out back just right after the event and you will see the 'arseholeness' of yourself back then.

Neo Blaster

Our boy Colt made a video counting how much gameplay was shown in the past 2 Xbox showcases and in the PS5 event ("accidentally" leaving the GT7 demo out). The funny thing is, he won't even mention we haven't seen anything running on XSX at those events. Oh man, this is going to be the new narrative "Xbox has shown more gameplay"
Counting seconds now? Damage control is reaching desperation levels, but don't worry, there's always another event we can wait for.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yeah, that’s a cool idea. Being able to drop straight into specific parts of a game straight from the start menu would be a great feature.

I think it may be brilliant for certain types of games for sure. I’m not sure for a game like GoT how it would be used other than to jump back in to a running game state the way that you can from PS4s Sleep Mode.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Counting seconds now? Damage control is reaching desperation levels, but don't worry, there's always another event we can wait for.
Both events lacked enough gameplay to make any conclusions about any game really

SSfox

I’m not much into making new threads:

PlayStation 5 Instant Access System Will Be Called Activities

Well i don't know what to expect exactly, but the idea seems cool if it's what i'm thinking.

Like for a fighting game for example, i can go straight to rank match (or some other specific online mode) without having to boot the game and all.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Well i don't know what to expect exactly, but the idea seems cool if it's what i'm thinking.

Like for a fighting game for example, i can go straight to rank match (or some other specific online mode) without having to boot the game and all.

Not having to have the disc in the drive would be nice! I would assume if this is instant access then it wouldn't need the disc in?

Darklor01

That’s what it sounds like.. but it also sounds like it would know if a tournament or something is going on, tell you it’s going on, and then you can just jump in. Something like that.

Darklor01

Not having to have the disc in the drive would be nice! I would assume if this is instant access then it wouldn't need the disc in?

Hmm, interesting question that. Might know what’s going on in a game but you still need the disc to launch unless you have the digital version. Who knows. Maybe you don’t need the disc.

SSfox

For Disk game it will be just as usual, disk need to be so you can launch the "activity", just a guess but i would assume the activity will have or not have the disk logo depending if you own the game on disk or digital just like PS4 games.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Hard to tell. There are 4 broad "topics" where Sony still has stuff to show and say, but it's impossible to say what will be talked when, in what form and if together or separately.
  1. Additional game announcements and a little more gameplay
  2. UI, system features and backwards compatibility
  3. Price, release date and preorders
  4. Hardware tear-down

If there really is some kind event-equivalent on the 6th of August, I don't think they will cover everything there. I would definitely expect more game-related stuff (because that is the most impactful in general and works best when you package it all together), like announcement/teasers for late 2021 and beyond exclusives, Silent Hill (if it's real), God of War and the such.

Point 3 is its own big thing, it could be part of the next event or it could warrant an additional mini-event later in August. 2 could be included in either of those to some extent, or it could just be talked through blog posts and individual videos over the remaining months. I doubt 4 would be featured in any event, so it will probably be its own thing either during August or at the beginning of September.

Thing is, if the next event is very early in the month, I think we can expect some other important information will be saved until the end of August or the beginning of September, and it could very well be price and pre-orders. If the next event is in mid-late August, they will probably put everything together.

Gamernyc78

Banned

"I hope they will take up pace from now on and show of really great things in the future"

We've been hearing this for about a decade. Hope and faith with Xbox is far past due and not realistic at this point.

By now, I am ready to claim that Lockhart/series S is not going to be release at launch, if it is going to launch at all. It is a bit too late to introduce it, and production need to have started by now. If no one has seen a Lockhart prototype in the wild at this point, I am ready to declare it dead at least at launch time.

THE:MILKMAN

Hmm, interesting question that. Might know what’s going on in a game but you still need the disc to launch unless you have the digital version. Who knows. Maybe you don’t need the disc.

Surely there is something they can implement these days that means it doesn't require the disc be in the drive given games are entirely installed on the HDD/SSD.

For Disk game it will be just as usual, disk need to be so you can launch the "activity", just a guess but i would assume the activity will have or not have the disk logo depending if you own the game on disk or digital just like PS4 games.

It is a little thing but a QoL thing that I would like to see. Doesn't apply to me but if the disc is needed and you are messy with games scattered all over it isn't instant access if you spend 10 minutes looking for a disc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom