• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this differently as possibly Osiris saying Phil in fact has more of a finished product and not just a DevKit.

Plus is he hinting at a $299 price?

Yeah I am just that hungry for info :)
Thats what they call the program. Take home prototype or dev kid? Did the same thing with X. I heard they are way ahead of where they were w/ X at same time frame

Kusarigama

That's actually exactly what I posted as that's what I was told about the FF2400 as far as its ray tracing capabilities. Overall performance should exceed that by a fair margin.

as for your allergies.

In due time when crime fleas my mind
All sneak thieves and playa haters can shine
But until then I keep the trillion cut diamonds shinin brilliant
I'll tell you half the story, the rest you fill it in
Long as the villian win
I spend Japan yen, attend major events
Catch me in the joints, convinced my iguanas is bitin
J-A-Y hyphen, controllin, manipulatin
I got a good life man!

Enjoy yours and take some sudafed.
Has anyone been able to solve this riddle yet?

THE:MILKMAN

The date itself. The numbers.

It Will be earlier than 2013 PSM

The date referring to final spec TF would be far too subtle even for us hardcore geeks. It would be nice if the reveal is earlier than the PS4 reveal, though. Saying that a verified poster over at Reset has said Microsoft's reveal is happening in January too.

They are shadowing each other at this point!

TLZ

Banned
So earlier than Feb 20th, cool and thanx.
The date referring to final spec TF would be far too subtle even for us hardcore geeks. It would be nice if the reveal is earlier than the PS4 reveal, though. Saying that a verified poster over at Reset has said Microsoft's reveal is happening in January too.

They are shadowing each other at this point!
Well he/she already mentioned this v earlier...

I'm Just gonna leave this hear:

PSM: 13/02/2.0

THE:MILKMAN

Well he/she already mentioned this v earlier...

Sure I saw it and if Sony used that exact format (2.0) I still think it would be 1, too subtle for the casuals and 2, spoiling the show for the hardcore (us) if 13 is the TF.

Let's wait and see.

Reactions: TLZ

bitbydeath

Sony hinting at acquiring more devs?

"We are very committed to the types of games we've been making at Worldwide Studios for the last decade: big, spectacular experiences with story and characters at the core. We will keep making these games, because we love to make them. And as a brand we are eager to branch out and start including and curating a new generation of developers, that create new and different experiences for a new generation of gamers."

_sqn_

I believe PCB leak from May was correct and PS5 is 316mm².

I also think they will be shooting for 40CUs (36 active) because of BC (which was confirmed with clocks from Oberon leak) as well as die size (no room for more if 316mm²).

For MS its hard to tell but if PS5 is 316mm² with 256bit bus, then for same amount of CUs you will need ~332mm² if using 320bit bus. With a.i cores and RT I dont think you can fit in 52CUs in 350mm². Maybe, maybe in 360mm² but thats a stretch as well since some will have to be deactivated.

Isn't Samsung SSD for ps5 rumour debunked this staff ?

R600

Banned
Damn I missed this gem by Apisak completely.

Remember Gonzalo 20K score in FireStrike? Seems it posted 2x score compared to ES2 which was first Gonzalo leak clocked at 1.0GHZ. Oberon being 2.0GHZ and FS matching is very interesting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Samsung SSDs COULD be used in game consoles. No confirmation for PS5 using Samsung SSD.

Other than then showing a PlayStation in their own info-graph (vague, I know), but they also do provide the RAM. If the RAM is all tied into the SSD setup like speculated, then shopping from that same vendor would sound more plausible.

Samsung SSDs are top of the line, so it would be a good thing.

Last edited:
Damn I missed this gem by Apisak completely.

Remember Gonzalo 20K score in FireStrike? Seems it posted 2x score compared to ES2 which was first Gonzalo leak clocked at 1.0GHZ. Oberon being 2.0GHZ and FS matching is very interesting.

Can you translate this to my (layman) terms?

R600

Banned
Can you translate this to my (layman) terms?
Latest FireStrike score for Oberon (pressumably at 2.0GHZ) is exactly 2x higher then ES2 of Gonzalo (that one that leaked in April). Score being 20K.

So we have pretty well connected codenames between Gonzalo from Jan and April, as well as Flute and Oberon.

Thats PS5 no doubt about it, just a question if people will accept it.

Last edited:
Latest FireStrike score for Oberon (pressumably at 2.0GHZ) is exactly 2x higher then ES2 of Gonzalo (that one that leaked in April). Score being 20K.

So we have pretty well connected codenames between Gonzalo from Jan and April, as well as Flute and Oberon.

So is that score good? lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

wait, so the new score is 40k? what?

or was the first score 10k?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
From what Apisak said : 10K > 20K

Personally, I think something along 2070Super is absolutely amazing (thats faster then 1080TI).

The only Gonzalo firestrike score I remember was one around 20k. At the time the only frequency we knew about Gonzalo was 1000MHz.
So how can it be from 10,000 to 20,000?

Was there another leak with Gonzalo at 10,000 firestrike? Cause I don't remember it.

Another question. Where was it confirmed that the next Xbox has a 320-bit bus?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Those reveals can't come soon enough so we can put all this to bed.

Then argue about factual specs and their secret sauces. FP1 72TFs PHWAAAAR!!!

Sure all this stuff will be put to bed but then it opens a whole new can of worms.

My Teraflop is bigger then your flop and when Digital Foundry freezes a game and zooms in 750% we will have 1 more blade of grass then you losers.

I can't wait for the reveals either btw.

R600

Banned
The only Gonzalo firestrike score I remember was one around 20k. At the time the only frequency we knew about Gonzalo was 1000MHz.
So how can it be from 10,000 to 20,000?

Was there another leak with Gonzalo at 10,000 firestrike? Cause I don't remember it.

Another question. Where was it confirmed that the next Xbox has a 320-bit bus?
Because you remember it wrong. FS score was from July, and first Gonzalo leak was in January - found by Apisak and running 1.0GHZ.

Second one is from April running 1.8GHZ.

Last one is Oberon running at 2.0GHZ.

It wasnt confirmed per se, but implied in E3 video by MS. 10 chips - 320bit bus.

-kb-

It feels like the evidence for Flute being the PS5 is quite shaky at this point. From what I can tell there is literally 0 direct evidence of it being the PS5 and it could just as easily be a Scarlett part.

R600

Banned
It feels like the evidence for Flute being the PS5 is quite shaky at this point. From what I can tell there is literally 0 direct evidence of it being the PS5 and it could just as easily be a Scarlett part.
Connection is there for everyone to see.

Oberon and Flute have the same GPU ID (different from Arden, that one might be Scarlett). Both share same Gonzalo codename (which was earlier revision of chip) and, most importantely, Oberon has 3 clock speed modes :

BC1 - 800MHZ
BC2 - 911MHZ
BASE - 2.0GHZ

Now, I think I saw first two somewhere this gen...

Last edited:

-kb-

Oberon and Flute have the same GPU ID (different from Arden, that one might be Scarlett). Both share same Gonzalo codename (which was earlier revision of chip) and, most importantely, Oberon has 3 clock speed modes :

BC1 - 800MHZ
BC2 - 911MHZ
BASE - 2.0GHZ

sure but why are you acting like it’s the final GPU for the console?. You seem pretty certain that’s going to be exactly what’s in the PS5?.

R600

Banned
sure but why are you acting like it’s the final GPU for the console?. You seem pretty certain that’s going to be exactly what’s in the PS5?.
Yes, I think 2.0GHZ one from August would pretty much be a final chip. That means, performance wise it wouldnt change.

This is industry standard. With big and hot SOCs, you have to get them from manufacturing line quite a few times until all issues and bugs are fixes. By the end of this year they had to have final chip ready if they want to manufacture ~5-6m by launch in next Oct-Nov.

Imtjnotu

Yes, I think 2.0GHZ one from August would pretty much be a final chip. That means, performance wise it wouldnt change.

This is industry standard. With big and hot SOCs, you have to get them from manufacturing line quite a few times until all issues and bugs are fixes. By the end of this year they had to have final chip ready if they want to manufacture ~5-6m by launch in next Oct-Nov.
So that >20k score is set in stone

-kb-

So if Sony has a smaller APU with similar contents and a slightly higher clock why the extreme cooling solution on the PS5 devkits and not on the Xbox devkits?. Maybe they are aiming for a higher clock speed then the flute leak.

Racer!

So Nvidia have completed the chip they`re launching christmas 2020/Januar 2021, since august this year. Hmm interesting :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Imtjnotu

BC1 - 800MHZ
BC2 - 911MHZ
BASE - 2.0GHZ

What komachi also showed was that bc1 is 36cu's and bc2 is 18. So the Gpu can run different cu counts. It doesn't mean ps5 is stuck at 40 cu's just for BC.

Proelite

What komachi also showed was that bc1 is 36cu's and bc2 is 18. So the Gpu can run different cu counts. It doesn't mean ps5 is stuck at 40 cu's just for BC.

Komachi told RGT that BC2 is actually 40CUs.

I messaged Komachi on Twitter (as we usually swap leaks) and asked if he had more info. He said he can’t reveal where he got the info as he didn’t want anyone to be in trouble, but he didn’t have any more info on the “Oberon Native”. This means the number of Compute Units running at full operating potential (AKA, in PS5 software).
He then said “BC1 is 40CU, BC2 is 18CU, and native is unknown. Perhaps BC means Back Compatible.”

Last edited:

-kb-

Komachi told RGT that BC2 is actually 40CUs.

so we literally don’t know how many CUs will be available for PS5 games or how many the chip even has. It sounds like BC2 could be a mode for PS4 game’s that dont require there to be exactly the same number of CUs as the PS4/pro. But that’s a complete guess by me.

Imtjnotu

Proelite

If there was greater than 40CUs total wouldn't BC2 mode just use them all since it's already not tied to 36Cu like the pro.

If BC2 had 36 CUs then it would have been harder to make the call.

Just my 2 cents on this, from when I first saw the article.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom