• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
Its confirmed no E3 so I think this event should be a blow out with world wide press attention since they are cutting costs to put in the executives pockets by skipping E3.

I don't think be taking direction from the company who ran from the home console industry with their tail between their legs. If they want to make another handheld sure emulate Nintendo they own the sector.
They sure followed their directs though. And it's clearly working.

Mriverz

It would show the sad state of competition of the home console industry that Sony could beyond half ass it and still win 3 to 1 world wide. It would not give me much hope for Sony being more consumer friendly in the least if they know they can put in no effort at this point and win by a landslide. Just sucks Nintendo gave up and MS fucked so bad this generation Sony looks like they are going to coast to victory with out having to fight for our wallets.
Nintendo has far from given up its at 50m sold for the switch.

Captn

Are things about to get real for Nvidia like they did for Intel?

Maybe for a month or 2 but I'm pretty sure when the 3000 series come out, it will be all the same as before. Amd catched up to Intel but I highly doubt they will catch up to Nvidia in the near future. Maybe in 3-5 years ?

Reindeer

Maybe for a month or 2 but I'm pretty sure when the 3000 series come out, it will be all the same as before. Amd catched up to Intel but I highly doubt they will catch up to Nvidia in the near future. Maybe in 3-5 years ?
AMD could hurt them with their pricing by offering slightly less performance for a lot less money. Even having advantage for few months could be huge since Nvidia have been dominating with such ease for so long.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Are things about to get real for Nvidia like they did for Intel?

When’s their financial analyst day?

Q: Lisa, can you give us some idea of what new GPUs you're expected to launch to the rest of 2020, for PCs and for data center?

LS: Yes. In 2019, we launched our new architecture in GPUs, it's the RDNA architecture, and that was the Navi based products. You should expect that those will be refreshed in 2020 - and we'll have a next-generation RDNA architecture that will be part of our 2020 lineup. So we're pretty excited about that, and we'll talk more about that at our financial analyst day. On the data center GPU side, you should also expect that we'll have some new products in the second half of this year.

Shmunter

Walk into thread to get the latest about Next-Gen PS5 & Next Xbox Speculation/Analysis/Leaks.

Walk out being firmly informed developers are all eager to go to pc as the one true platform because they are disappointed in next gen, they also want the simplicity of the one platform that only the pc can provide.

Looking forward coming back in 10 pages and being reminded of the above AGAIN.

Nickolaidas

Also a big LOL at devs wanting just one platform and at the same time expanding from PS5 to PC, which is literally dozens of platforms in itself.
Are you actually trying to say that it is easier to support PC than console? Cause that's crazy. The number of different graphics drivers alone that people use is enormous. Add HDDs and SSDs of varying speeds, cards from 3 GB to 11 GB of RAM, different RAM latencies, different network adapters, different everything. And you think "they just have to support DX"?
Why are you guys so bent on stopping him from shoving his headcanon down our throats? Don't you know that's just rude?

Captn

AMD could hurt them with their pricing by offering slightly less performance for a lot less money. Even having advantage for few months could be huge since Nvidia have been dominating with such ease for so long.

Yes off course they could and they already do it in the mid-range area. But to compete with the high end of Nvidia, they really need to push it hard. I'm all for good competition because at the end of it, it's good for us consumers $$ wise.

hemo memo

Gold Member
They sure followed their directs though. And it's clearly working.

I wouldn’t call frustratingly waiting for the smallest bit of news “clearly working” to be honest.

For Microsoft, we know when will get more information about the Xbox Series X but for Sony we’re on their timeline.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Walk into thread to get the latest about Next-Gen PS5 & Next Xbox Speculation/Analysis/Leaks.

Walk out being firmly informed developers are all eager to go to pc as the one true platform because they are disappointed in next gen, they also want the simplicity of the one platform that only the pc can provide.

Looking forward coming back in 10 pages and being reminded of the above AGAIN.

It’s the same song and dance from last gen.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

Just by quickly reading it once I can already see two reasons why it's fake.

1) PS5 SSD is much faster than the SSD of XSX. Sure, I get this, everyone has been saying this. But if you have specifics of everything then why not the speeds of the SSD?

2) do random devs of third party companies even know when events would take place to discuss the console?

Soadi

1) PS5 SSD is much faster than the SSD of XSX. Sure, I get this, everyone has been saying this. But if you have specifics of everything then why not the speeds of the SSD?

2) do random devs of third party companies even know when events would take place to discuss the console?
If envolved in said event then maybe yes.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I too can read the latest rumours and cherry pick a few things.

Though that “leak” is one of the better ones I’ll be honest. But I can’t help but feel some of it isn’t quite right.

Also, this would suggest to me the ps5 being slightly more expensive, and I actually believe it will be the other way around slightly?

But yes, I wanted all along for both consoles to essentially be “on par” and this is about as close as you can get. The SSD difference makes zero bloody difference.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned

It’s reddit. Take everything with a grain of salt until real confirmation from the respective corporations.

bitbydeath

I too can read the latest rumours and cherry pick a few things.

Though that “leak” is one of the better ones I’ll be honest. But I can’t help but feel down of it isn’t quite right.

Also, this would suggest to me the ps5 being slightly more expensive, and I actually believe it will be the other way around slightly?

But yes, I wanted all along for both consoles to essentially be “on par” and this is about as close as you can get. The SSD difference makes zero bloody difference.

The CPU difference is greater than that of the GPU though right?

They’d probably even out to cost about the same.

This'll probably sound silly, but I'd be bummed if the PS5 OS didn't have it's own pool of RAM.

A few gigabytes of RAM just for the OS ala the PS5 Pro would be nice. It would leave the full 16GB of fast RAM for the devs.

But, we'll see what happens.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't know about believable, but it certainly is the one with the best possible scenario, and that everyone here would like to have.
I just mean they hide the Bullshit well by being realistic and balanced
No games, prices, release dates, no knowledge of BC for PSone/2/3.
Which OsirisBlack has said the devkits don't seem to have.
One console is not stupidly more powerful then the other.
They obviously sprayed V. I. P poo before dumping this.
91sBSiXjaxL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The CPU difference is greater than that of the GPU though right?

They’d probably even out to cost about the same.

The GPU difference is so tiny that multiplatform games won’t touch it, it will barely equal even a frame. The cpu difference is so tiny that the same thing can be applied (though one may argue it may actually benefit a few areas), but these two are still so close that to 99.990% of the population nobody would tell.

The memory confuses me, because I was expecting a separate pool for the OS to use. I can’t believe we are going down this road again.

The SSD talk. Again I can’t be arsed to go into why this is as much of a wash as the cpu/GPU.

HOWEVER.

If the SSD tech is so amazing and cutting edge, coupled with a far superior controller that has a lot of new tech in, along other things, can’t see them being the same cost, as Sony would be eating a massive chunk of the cost.

but I honestly thought that things would pan out the other way around, with Sony having a console that was lower spec ever so slightly on the whole (again still near as damn it that it wouldn't matter), but Ms having the more expensive.

But now, I see it as a totally valid thing to say... It’svery possible MS will actually release the SX CHEAPER than the PS5.

That would be quite the bombshell. It won’t do fuck all to dent the Sony sale machine, haha. But when you see these consoles being the closest any two have ever been in history of competition, but one console is let’s say £50 cheaper... might not be as cut and dry as you think.

Further thoughts: No talk on RT implementation, and fuck all talk about the controller, which Xbox have REALLY fucked up on.

CyberPanda

Banned
I just mean they hide the Bullshit well by being realistic and balanced
No games, prices, release dates, no knowledge of BC for PSone/2/3.
Which OsirisBlack has said the devkits don't seem to have.
One console is not stupidly more powerful then the other.
They obviously sprayed V. I. P poo before dumping this.
91sBSiXjaxL._AC_SX425_.jpg
That VI Poo stuff is amazing

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

Zero909

Banned
GFX FamilyGFX900-905GFX906-907GFX1010-GFX1012GFX1030+
Fabrication Node14nm12nm7nm7nm+
GPUsVega 10, 11*, 12Vega 20Navi 10, 14, 12*Navi 21*, 22*, 23*

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

I'd love that to actually turn out to be true, having pretty much identical consoles would be so beneficial for the developers, and as a result for us gamers. And a pretty powerful consoles as well. That 56CU in the PS5 looks a little strange tho, I'd imagine Sony going for 54 (3x18) for the perfect PS4 and Pro compatibility modes, but who knows, maybe 2 CU would be disabled for better production yields (still +12TF).

chigstoke

This would be the ideal world, similar specced systems to develop for. MS will not want a repeat of XBOne all over again.
Granted I'd be tempted to say 56CU for Xbox and 52CU for PS5, so swapsies. But really either/or is fine with me.

The common consensus with a lot of people is that PS5's SSD is by far superior. I think that's the one thing I'd be tempted to nail to the mast. But even a Series X with spoeds similar to, let's say, a 970 Evo Plus NVMe drive would be brilliant.

I think no matter who is more powerful or whether they're practically the same, the next gen will be brilliant either way. People focus on Teraflops and graphics power but the biggest jump is going to be seen on the CPU side thanks to Zen 2.

Bigger worlds, more complex physics, a decent increase in GPU power, we should get some amazing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom