• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Any one think next gen could be pushed back until next year

Also RIP the people who wont make next gen

Think it's a 50/50 chance. All dependent on the upcoming vaccine and how fast Asia will recover obviously. Come spring cases should subside so there's still time to get things going.

G GlassAwful I’ve spent a long time doing something that I enjoy, while also working other projects with other people that actually have released. I fail to see the connection? That’s like saying I can’t complete a jigsaw at home, because I professionally print them for others.

The two are not connected and you are reaching. Just for the record, my actual job right now is a teacher of special needs children and the vulnerable. However that doesn’t change the fact that over the years I have contributed to many different retail and indie titles.

(Also, just for the record, it’s not a multiplayer mod for quake 2. If you dig a little deeper you would see it’s an engine rewrite from the ground up, with advanced lighting, physics and audio, and shares more in common with later id tech, technology wise.)

@TheThreadsThatBindUs no I did not say lockhart has to run 4k.Lockhart has to run 1080p content hypothetically. The pro did not. If you allowed the Pro to run games at 1080p using its full grunt, that would be a fair comparison.

Gamernyc78 Gamernyc78 the reason I’m stepping away for a while is simple, and during the night, I actually had that reason confirmed even more. While things were getting tougher than I would like last night, in the night I’ve had actual threats sent to me, people with no life, no clue and under some illusion that plastic boxes are life or death. I mean... that’s just sad, man. I’m still going to be posting on the forum, even here every so often, but I’m taking a step back. I stand by what I’ve said, and as I said to you all before, if it turns out bad info, i won’t be running off. I’m still here. You need to take a step back and see the bigger picture my friend, because when you get messages like I got last night that even include my daughter (twitter) then that’s a whoooooole different thing. But I’m still here, not running away like a bitch as you put in, which btw, is one of the reasons I’m no longer participating because people like you drive me mad.

Just be good to each other, believe what you want, but talk common sense with this stuff. I’ll pop back up every so often.
Hey man I'm sorry that shit happened. That's unacceptable.

And I respect someone working on the things they believe in which is why I didn't want to chime in initially, particularly because I could easily have missed something.

I just assumed you, like many others on this forum, were trolling and looking for attention and wanted to make people aware of that possibility. Doesn't mean you should be driven off or worse, someone actually sends threats and shit.

Best of luck to you, I hope the heat dies down and things return to normal.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
G GlassAwful its fine, honestly. I’m just trying to post some facts about things to clear the air, so that assholes like this:

Don’t keep posting bullshit. I mean I’ve already said, multiple times, that I’m not breaking any NDAs or anything. You know, a month or so ago I was just guessing, that’s true. But that’s when I started talking to friends who knew. Funny how that shit works huh? Fatal Enigma Fatal Enigma keeps calling me out here and on twitter but still, here we are. The amazing thing is, he doesn’t realise I’m an Xbox fanboy as well, so he’s sort of shooting himself in the dick there.

But this is what I’m currently dealing with. A few threats, a death/sexual threat against my daughter, some twitter people who lack the ability to read, and some forum goers who don’t really want to accept that BOX A = BOX B.

It’s all good. I’m just face palming at these people. It’s like... it’s a fucking TOY. Talk about the technology, show an interest in how things work, but some people... wow...

Last edited:
So are we at a 90% chance PS5 won't be under 10 Tflops?

no one really knows on this board.

all we have is github, raw data with some open ends that still matches rdna2

and then we have forum posters with cryptic riddles who claim to be insiders, most of which with zero track records and none of which who can just say the actual number (as a dev would have knowledge of).

yea i get the site has a “vetting” method but i have no idea how that works or how easy/hard it is to fake or even if the vetted person really does work for a developer but doesnt actually have real info because they are a low level employee. they could be a janitor for all any of us knows.

So until Sony says something OR a leak as legitimate as github comes out with updated info then the only logical thing to do is to give the edge to the data, github. Word of mouth should never be your prime source of information, its why courts and law enforcement take eye witness accounts with a grain of salt

ill buy both consoles at launch like i always do so i have no skin in the game. I just like to side with reason. Github could very well prove to be misleading, its just that its more reliable than any persons word

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
G GlassAwful its fine, honestly. I’m just trying to post some facts about things to lead the air, so that assholes like this:

Don’t keep posting bullshit. I mean I’ve already said, multiple times, that I’m not breaking any NDAs or anything. You know, a month or so ago I was just guessing, that’s true. But that’s when I started talking to friends who knew. Funny how that shit works huh? Fatal Enigma Fatal Enigma keeps calling me out here and on twitter but still, here we are. The amazing thing is, he doesn’t realise I’m an Xbox fanboy as well, so he’s sort of shooting himself in the dick there.

But this is what I’m currently dealing with. A few threats, a death/sexual threat against my daughter, some twitter people who lack the ability to read, and some forum goers who don’t really want to accept that BOX A = BOX B.

It’s all good. I’m just face palming at these people. It’s like... it’s a fucking TOY. Talk about the technology, show an interest in how things work, but some people... wow...

Sorry you have to go through that man. It's always such a small minority that ruin things for everyone else.

All I can think/hope is the people that act like this are really young and stupid.

kareemna

Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens Could we see a "unique" memory configuration on PS5 or even XSX that 12GB are on a 384-bit bus and 4GB 128-bit (or 64-bit) bus both GDDR6. This would be done since no chips are available for a full 16GB 384-bit clamshell.

no one really knows on this board.

all we have is github, raw data with some open ends that still matches rdna2

and then we have forum posters with cryptic riddles who claim to be insiders, most of which with zero track records and none of which who can just say the actual number (as a dev would have knowledge of).

yea i get the site has a “vetting” method but i have no idea how that works or how easy/hard it is to fake or even if the vetted person really does work for a developer but doesnt actually have real info because they are a low level employee. they could be a janitor for all any of us knows.

So until Sony says something OR a leak as legitimate as github comes out with updated info then the only logical thing to do is to give the edge to the data, github. Word of mouth should never be your prime source of information, its why courts and law enforcement take eye witness accounts with a grain of salt

ill buy both consoles at launch like i always do so i have no skin in the game. I just like to side with reason. Github could very well prove to be misleading, its just that its more reliable than any persons word
github test is for RDNA1 navi 10. performance of cache is identical to navi 10(rdna 1) and has references in the file to navi 10 and not navi 21.

it is PS5 related but its not PS5 final apu. thats 100% knowing what we know today.

could be PS5 in BC boost mode. just like PS4 pro is 2.5 TF in BC boost mode but native is 4.2 TF

Mr Moose

G GlassAwful its fine, honestly. I’m just trying to post some facts about things to clear the air, so that assholes like this:

What the fuck is wrong with people? Weird/sick little dickheads.

B_Boss

i think we should all take a break from this thread. things are getting out of control and there's hardly new next gen news. but i myself will probably be back on here once console news starts picking up again. i feel like im reading the same stuff. stay safe everyone :)

Well, why don’t you take a break. It’s just reading for me personally. I don’t mind. This discussion isn’t driving me insane or anything.

Banned
I could ask, but I won’t, I’m done with asking. I’m just the janitor. I’ll just chat like the rest of us and guess along.

controlahti.jpg

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Dee and the crew are xbox fanboys haha funny you are getting hit from both sides . sorry about that

Oh it’s beautiful, don’t worry. I just wish they bought me dinner first 🤣 it’s funny how just a short time ago, I was called out repeatedly for being this massive Xbox fanboy, and then suddenly I’m a massive PlayStation one. It’s brilliant. It really shows you that when people throw around baseless comments like that, they don’t actually mean a thing, because nobody ever really looks into them.

Take some of the sites reporting what I’ve said for example... they haven’t even reported the right numbers, or the right math. Then you get fanboy getting into arguments.

And right in the middle of It... this beautiful cartoon pigeon...

When you step back and look at it all, you just ask yourself... when did everybody get so coo coo? 🤣

Anyway, guys, please, back on track. Talk about what I said, or talk about other stuff. But let’s not derail the thread for people with small willies.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I've got a few questions for the more technically minded.

How come very little is been said on the CPU speed? Is it just not very important anymore? Could a big difference in CPUs effect console performance relative to each other? Would a strong CPU make up for a slightly weaker GPU?

With the Jaguar CPUs regarded as low midrange even at the start of the gen what benefits could we see in games this gen?

I use to be into pc building back in the day and CPU speed always felt important, wheres it just dosnt now. I'm unsure if it's because technology has maybe changed somewhat. As you can probably tell it's been a long time since I knew about this stuff.

Anyone got an insight into these CPU questions? I'm super curious. It dosnt feel like there would be much of a budget for a good CPU after graphics cards, SSD's, Ram, Controller are all accounted for etc.

B_Boss

Told my friends right now, as we're all playing Division 2 together since it went on sale that the gaming news and event world due to the virus feels very....*

"Transmissions jammed. Proximity coverage only. Backup activated; system rebooted. Now entering dark zone."

Interestingly enough, with the newest expansion (Warlords) they re-implemented that amazing “entering dark zone” line back into Div2. I even loved the patch note that confirmed it. Was bummed when first playing Div2 and learning that it was no longer in-game....annnnd now where was that topic....ah, there it is.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
People make death and sexual threats yeah

I guess anything goes in war unfortunately

Consoles are a serious business. You should see my android mates face every time I get my iPhone out. The sheer rage that covers his face, he goes bright red, he just NEEDS to tell me how wrong I am and how much better android is, theres this fire that burns inside him. Football fans, music fans, film fans... You get them In all walks of life. I have no interest in it. I’ll play anything, on anything, watch anything, listen to anything read anything and talk about anything. My only stipulation is that I myself am enjoying myself. Why would I get off an entire segment of entertainment due to “loyalty”? Makes no damn sense.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

VIDYA GAMZ R ZERZ BIZNS

Oh it’s beautiful, don’t worry. I just wish they bought me dinner first 🤣 it’s funny how just a short time ago, I was called out repeatedly for being this massive Xbox fanboy, and then suddenly I’m a massive PlayStation one. It’s brilliant. It really shows you that when people throw around baseless comments like that, they don’t actually mean a thing, because nobody ever really looks into them.

Take some of the sites reporting what I’ve said for example... they haven’t even reported the right numbers, or the right math. Then you get fanboy getting into arguments.

And right in the middle of It... this beautiful cartoon pigeon...

When you step back and look at it all, you just ask yourself... when did everybody get so coo coo? 🤣

Anyway, guys, please, back on track. Talk about what I said, or talk about other stuff. But let’s not derail the thread for people with small willies.
they got coo coo when they saw 52 coo coos haha team 36 coocoo is a cult and team 60 coocoo is another cult haha you dont wanna mess with these 2.

and yes funny both of them got your number wrong because someone on RE made the mistake in one line (typo)and they all copied it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Banned
Consoles are a serious business. You should see my android mates face every time I get my iPhone out. The sheer rage that covers his face, he goes bright red, he just NEEDS to tell me how wrong I am and how much better android is, theres this fire that burns inside him. Football fans, music fans, film fans... You get them In all walks of life. I have no interest in it. I’ll play anything, on anything, watch anything, listen to anything read anything and talk about anything. My only stipulation is that I myself am enjoying myself. Why would I get off an entire segment of entertainment due to “loyalty”? Makes no damn sense.

oh my god... an iPhone user! that's unacceptable!
who in their right mind would get an iPhone? or any Apple product for that matter?
overpriced pieces of tech garbage!

let's start an Apple vs. Android/Windows war! way easier because we already know Apple is worse! 🤣🤣🤣

zubairali2

Well, why don’t you take a break. It’s just reading for me personally. I don’t mind. This discussion isn’t driving me insane or anything.

what do you mean? im hardly involved in this thread. i read most of the time but all i see is bunch of bickering and loads of leaks that are mostly fake. everything is kind of quiet now so for me im taking a break.

Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens getting threats is so fucking sad and i don't get it .
If PS5 end up being 11.6 and XB 12 that is nothing .
If he wrong and PS5 end up 12 or little over like what OB saying that won't make any difference either .
People just can't seem to be happy that both next gen system will be twins in many ways which great for devs and everyone else.
And both will have there advantages in certain things and hardware for first the time don't have to be a huge factor in you choice of system .

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Yes it did. And when people sprout non-sense they need to be exposed and humiliated. For example, now that we know ET life is likely visiting our planet (the Navy has radar and gun camera recordings of hypersonic vehicles capable of stopping and accelerating instantly and seamlessly traveling through various mediums), the skeptics who claims anyone who believed UFOs could be extraterrestrial were nutcases need to be exposed and humiliated to the point they are laughed at whenever they go into a grocery store or restaurant. This might make people think twice before naysaying the next major breakthrough.
Go take a nap

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The image is an old leak.
Why does it make no sense?
That’s how it always works with graphics cards. Cu count and clock speed make up the teraflops number.

RDNA2 is not a set spec, the same way RDNA1 is not.

What don't you understand that the number of cus and clock speed will vary in gpus using the RDNA 2 architecture?

Gamernyc78

Banned
jason said the same and he is always correct.

I'm in the camp tht wants both to be as close as possible so devs can focus on highest denominators and bring us the best games possible with other things differentiating. Sony already has PSVR on tht end which is a big differentiator imo and Xbox has game pass which is great value however...

The downside if it can even be labeled as one is tht if thy are close in specs it doesnt give me incentive to buy Xbox bcus their ganes don't appeal to me. XCloud doesn't matter to me because we've been had Psnow.

So scenario one 1

Xbox 12tf
Psv 12tf

I just buy Psv

Second scenario

Xbox 12tf
Psv 10 tf

I buy both.

Dodkrake

Banned
No it would not be. How can you say that? The TF numbers don't add up. With an eleven TF GPU the PS5 would not even be a generational leap at all. The PS4 would have had a higher multiple of TFs over the PS3. The facts are not on your side.

An eleven TF GPU in the PS5 would make it the least increase in processing power yet.

Also, we need even greater leaps in TF to make up for the fact that we are entering the uncanny valley, utilizing crazy resolutions, and producing VR games.

The PS3 is 400 gigaflops, or .4 teraflops. The PS4 is 1.84, or 4.6 times more powerful.

Assuming the PS5 is 11, you are talking about 6 times the power of stock 4, which is comparable in terms of year gap between 3 and 4.

It's a bigger leap than before.

The PS3 is 400 gigaflops, or .4 teraflops. The PS4 is 1.84, or 4.6 times more powerful.

Assuming the PS5 is 11, you are talking about 6 times the power of stock 4, which is comparable in terms of year gap between 3 and 4.

not only that but RDNA2 of PS5 Vs GCN of PS4 gains also makes it close to 8.5 times (11.5 tf of RDNA2 is close to 15 TF GCN)

Last edited:

Banned

BUT... BUT... MAH 7X INCREASE!!! lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And so are oat grinders.

my sis in law has some gadget you literally latch onto the side of a table like a vice grip.

you pour in oats or something, grind it up and make homemade oatmeal out of it. It was something stupid like $100.

had to tell the world about it.

I don’t even eat oatmeal. what I should have done is say I eat ready made shit at the store that sells for $3 per box and it sells 100 million boxes per year.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Boy, insiders seem to be a sensitive bunch.
They want to post stuff where nobody knows if their source is accurate or FOS and then are upset when rationale persons are not buying it......I guess we should have accepted that PS5 is 9.2TF, some people are here even now trying to force it down our throats or whatever number they come up with.....If someone comes up with some stats, mentions games that are coming, I'd give more credence to that, but simply quoting a number and then saying the PS5 has no headroom and XBOX has lots of headroom sounds made up and fanboyish at best,,,,,None of the devs know what final PS5 specs will be yet apart from Cerny/Sony, Guerilla didn't even know we would get 8GB till very late...….

It's already been said that Sony is investing lots in cooling, so no one knows what their final clocks will be.....That's why I'm happy they are keeping things locked up tight.....Let people keep low-balling, let them keep saying that XBOX has a better cooling solution, when they know nothing about the PS5....It will only make the PS5 reveal more impactul on landing….

I wasn't going to post anything about this before but after a whole day of riddles, teasing and other sites picking this up...

Did no one bother to spend even 2 minutes googling this guy and his "studio"?

17 years spent making a Quake 2 multiplayer mod with his buddy in their free time that they've yet to release.... 17 years on a Quake 2 mod... that has yet to release.

I mean maybe there's something else substantial filling in his resume that Google doesn't show but his studio's accomplishments don't seem to carry much clout to me.

Ask yourselves if this sounds like a likely source for this kind of information. Oh... and coronavirus sucks and stuff
Hmmmmmmm……..

he was my first block here. he was not the just a little biased. he practically downplayed everything positive about PS and just talked negative about PS. the opposite was about m$.
you don't say, even now he presents XBOX as having more headroom when he says he gets little information on XBOX, but somehow these XBOX fans always have more info on Sony's PS5.....but for some reason are always insistent on Sony releasing specs or they're doomed....I'm saying if you know PS5 info so much, why do you need Sony to release it?

Wasn't there a balance issue on the PS4PRO by having 64 ROPs?
Yes, I'd say it was a price balance more than anything...….Many rumors suggest Sony considered a $500 PRO, they had 64 Rops which was not fed, XBONEX had 32 Rops I year later...….If Sony went for a $500 PRO, they would have added 4-8 more GB's and boosted the cooling solution and bandwidth in 2016, but they were adamant on $399 as an important factor in purchasing decisions based on a research they did prior to PS4, so they settled on that......A $500, 64 ROPS 12GB PRO would have been much more powerful than what XBONEX delivered a year later in 2017......

That's why I always tell folk, Sony is always ahead of the hardware curve......Those who are lowballing, I hope they don't run away when the heat comes, they always seem to run away at the slightest hint of "Nah, I'm not buying your leaks".....And the people always asking if something is confirmed after every leak, after every Pastebin and GitHub spiel, know this....The only time PS5 specs will be official is when Sony says it, you wont miss it. There will be a huge dedicated thread stipulating just that, that Sony said it, not Joe Blow, Brad Sams, Klobrille, Crapgamer and that band....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OK Soony you reading this, we all agree PS5 is 11.6 tf so we dont even care when you announce the info.

Psst guys I am using reverse physiology just play along.
Won’t work.

Sony already announced bad news with Horizon going to PC.

they won’t announce Sony being less powerful than SeX in the same week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom