• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Oh shit good one dude. Turn my argument on me. Fucking smart as fuck. IQ level 9000 here guys. We are not worthy.
Well that seems a little mean

Back on topic

I'd rather companies have a few bigger events than many smaller ones. Smaller stuff can just be social media posts. I hope Sony does the whole shebang except maybe price in June then waits till August (gamescons usual date) for release day and price and preorders open. And MS should reveal price and release date in June or July shows

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Oh shit good one dude. Turn my argument on me. Fucking smart as fuck. IQ level 9000 here guys. We are not worthy.

F2A20378CF9116CEBD0D28DF41DCBD70E228C4B4

What I find frustrating about Microsoft's weak event yesterday is how easy it is now for Sony to turn everything around. Up till now, Microsoft had a great information rollout, while Sony gave off an awkward, incompetent strategy impression.

But now Sony will unveil the PlayStation 5 with Resident Evil 8, Final Fantasy 16, Uncharted 5 and a new Team Ico-game and BAMM, they're the center of all positive media attention.

Microsoft really should have secured at least Resident Evil 8 for their event, plus 1-2 more hype announcements (new Rocksteady-game, new Bioshock, new Tomb Raider, etc.).

Now they've established themselves as the crossgen console that gives gamers no reason to buy the system. Honestly, if their pr-team didn't expect the negative reaction, they should be fired.

Last edited:
Okay so Jason Schreier was on Press Start Podcast. And said some interesting things:

- As far as he knows, Sony plans to have at least one event by early or mid June, as long as the Covid situation doesn't make Sony change it's plans (38:57) this probably means no big reveals this month, sadly

- About Halo Infinite's possible development issues, he said that even if the game needed more time to develop it's almost impossible to delay because it's the big Xbox Series X launch game. And that he has heard, this was years ago so it might not be accurate anymore, that the next Halo (Halo Infinite), was going to be released in "pieces". (1:09:35)

If the Halo thing ends up being accurate it could be because they're against the clock and need to release that big launch title alongside Series X or could also hint to a Game as a Service aproach.

You know these games are created by a handful of people, right? These are small studios who don't have the budget to create amazingly looking games.
That's not the point, the point is that they were used to make first impression, to showcase what a next-gen console is able to deliver.

ubisoft is hardly a small team... they did not show anything substantial either.

Microsoft really should have secured at least Resident Evil 8 for their event, plus 1-2 more hype announcements (nee Rocksteady-game, new Bioshock, new Tomb Raider, etc.).

Now they've established themselves as the crossgen console that gives gamers no reason to buy the system. Honestly, if their pr-team didn't expect the negative reaction, they should be fired.
This is what their whole branding is about, like they were selling CPU/GPU upgrades or something.

and games as a service.

DaGwaphics

Definitely not. But this is a huge blunder that casts shade on next gen as a whole. Who can honestly say that anything here looks better than REAL gameplay from end of gen PS4 title’s, Ghosts & Last Of Us 2 Nope.

Makes me curious if Sony is in a similar debacle where anything they can present right now will not live up to the hype with the benchmark they themselves set. We’ve seen the reactions to that Dark Souls clone doing the rounds.

Next...,

I think shades of what you are saying will even effect 1st party to a certain degree (in both camps). We've reached a point graphically where each generational shift will be less noticeable than the last (in motion). I'm confident both sides will work some magic, but I think many have set the bar too high for themselves. While things will improve and models will have even more polys, the biggest gets will be in size and scale. That's not something that translates as well in trailers. I think this is why Sony lead with the controller, as the features it adds are unique. VR will be another area where next-gen can make itself felt very easily.

There's also development costs, which can constrain some things. The PS360 era to current-gen saw a nearly 4 fold increase in production costs, only the largest of studios could make that kind of jump again. And even if they could many won't, so it becomes an issue of being more efficient with the man hours and $$$.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
That's not the point, the point is that they were used to make first impression, to showcase what a next-gen console is able to deliver.
Sure you can say that it was a bad first impression and that they should've started with their first party stuff maybe, to really show what it can deliver. I think they just want to be able to been on top of everyone's mind from now until holiday 2020, and that they didn't want to shoot their best stuff in the beginning. Like a lot of people already said, they should've lowered the expectations more.

I did like that they gave the opportunity to smaller studios to showcase their games on their platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I forgot how triggered NeoGaf can get.

I'm sorry guys I forgot that in this relm the Contollers and Logos are whats most important.

I think its shitty to downplay what some of these indie devs are working on as trash. There some very good games on show but I guess most of you only want to see exclusive AA game only.

I will go discuss the games in other forums where discussion is civil and doesn't build down to "BuT ThEy HAvE MoRE LiKEs oN InSTAgRAm AnD THE MEaninG BeHInD thE LoGO is VeRy SeNTiMEntal sLoLOL AaA GamES ARe THe OnLY GaMeS WORth TAlKinG AboUT"
I looked for signs of triggered people, nobody except you is going personal. Maybe you meant to quote different people? I mean you should expect this kind of questioning when you put two completely unrelated things (controller vs disappointing games) against one another, like we see where youare going, but your angle makes no sense.

DVpX3JUU0AE2bce.jpg:large

MS are like we have that brand new flying car, but we only demonstrate it's highway cruising abilities, it goes very fast, but this is hardly better as we can already reach the max speeds allowed by law... but they guarantee it has the most powerful engine. Sony only showed off the cockpit, but we assume they will have a flight demonstration when they show something... at least we hope they will I want indies too).

We want our socks blown off!

mrY7iMayf9AuY8Bvc5dpLM8gneex1GjrLFeWL0cS6AE7sYZi0_Qc1C98usP5yAYAZoTZXIZyfLQheQKj-NAf7WE1RP6VfdL5WYM=s0-d

Last edited:
Sure you can say that it was a bad first impression and that they should've started with their first party stuff maybe, to really show what it can deliver. I think they just want to be able to been on top of everyone's mind from now until holiday 2020, and that they didn't want to shoot their best stuff in the beginning. Like a lot of people already said, they should've lowered the expectations more.

I did like that they gave the opportunity to smaller studios to showcase their games on their platform.
like ubisoft?

they should have shown them indies alongside impressive stuff, like Sony did with the ps4.

sircaw

Banned
Well, after that terrible performance, i would hope that Microsoft have really got the message in what they need to demonstrate in their main future show.

I do not want to get on the hype train again but after this, the only way is up and by that i mean a serious jump.

So if you are an xbox fan and you feel abit down, do not worry the good stuff is still to come, and there will be a fuck load of real gameplay, i am sure we can all agree on that.

THE:MILKMAN

Between the custom silicon, the patented cooling solution and the out of the future SSD everybody who expects the PS5 to be cheaper than the SX just because his chip is smaller is fooling himself. It’s going to be very high priced.

See I think there isn't much or any additional expense for Sony here beyond the R&D. I think they made an early choice to go smaller on the GPU and use the saved space/money for the I/O silicon instead. For the SSD they seem to have taken fairly standard flash chips and given them 12 lanes for the speed and 6 levels of priority for multitasking (I think of this as a two lane road versus a 6 lane Freeway/Motorway). We don't know much about the flash controller or whether Sony buy it in and have no idea what this might cost.

Maybe the cooling solution is an increased cost but doubt it makes a huge difference to the BOM but the single biggest cost will still be the APU/SoC. I'm fairly sure it will come in below PS4's 348mm^2 and die size is the main determining factor for cost I believe.

I know I'm in a very small minority here (and non-gaming forums too!) that believes both consoles will probably come in at £350-£400 where everyone else is £450-£600+.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
like ubisoft?

they should have shown them indies alongside impressive stuff, like Sony did with the ps4.
But this isn't the same type of show like PS4 did with the PS4 reveal... That was a 2h long reveal on stage, with press, this was an Inside Xbox episode. It's completely different.

They had one AAA game, because they have marketing rights for it. That's why Valhalla was there, that doesn't change anything about the format of these videos. They should've just not hyped it up as much because people expected games from top 3rd party studios instead of these smaller studios.

Radical_3d

See I think there isn't much or any additional expense for Sony here beyond the R&D. I think they made an early choice to go smaller on the GPU and use the saved space/money for the I/O silicon instead. For the SSD they seem to have taken fairly standard flash chips and given them 12 lanes for the speed and 6 levels of priority for multitasking (I think of this as a two lane road versus a 6 lane Freeway/Motorway). We don't know much about the flash controller or whether Sony buy it in and have no idea what this might cost.

Maybe the cooling solution is an increased cost but doubt it makes a huge difference to the BOM but the single biggest cost will still be the APU/SoC. I'm fairly sure it will come in below PS4's 348mm^2 and die size is the main determining factor for cost I believe.

I know I'm in a very small minority here (and non-gaming forums too!) that believes both consoles will probably come in at £350-£400 where everyone else is £450-£600+.
Adding lanes is not cheap. Otherwise everybody would use the bigger possible bandwidth with RAM. And I don’t know how consoles are priced after the £ fall from Brexit but I expect 500€$ loosing money. 550€$ breaking even-making a small profit.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Adding lanes is not cheap. Otherwise everybody would use the bigger possible bandwidth with RAM. And I don’t know how consoles are priced after the £ fall from Brexit but I expect 500€$ loosing money. 550€$ breaking even-making a small profit.

To be fair the whole pricing thing will be a whole event on its own this time round. Add in the pandemic and already expected high cost consoles......

All I will say is if both come in at PS3/Xbox One prices in the UK (these were £425/£430) then don't buy one as after the hardcore/day 1 purchasers they will cost reduce massively after 6 months. PS3 went to £299 after 6 months and Xbox One dumped Kinect and went to £349 after 6 months.

That so many casually talk about $500£500 (current conversions are one to one $/£) confuses me so much honestly as it just can't be sustained for more than 6 months with a console IMO.

scie

[...]But now Sony will unveil the PlayStation 5 with Resident Evil 8, Final Fantasy 16, Uncharted 5 and a new Team Ico-game and BAMM, they're the center of all positive media attention.[...]

Well there is only the problem that Team-ICO doesn´t exist anymore. It is defunct since 2011 and the founder of Team-ICO left with a lof of old Team ICO veterans and founded a new studio called "genDESIGN". They developed Last Guardin. But here is the next catch genDesign signed this year a multiplatform contract with EPIC Games as publisher.,

M-V2

damn, will be interesting how this game will run on a 10 TFLOPs machine, if even a 12 TFLOPs machine can't do 60 fps :/

I think it's just because it's a new platform, devkit not ready, sdk not ready etc. give it 1-2 years and multiplats will be much better
I see where are you coming from but a cross gen title should easily do 60fps because in 1 or 2 years we will see many games with RT which is very demanding, it seems 60fps on open world games is just a dream after all 😞

Audiophile

I am actually wondering if we are going to see any "Next-Gen-Only" titles this year at all.
Seeing how many titles PS4 still got this and last year I am not sure about Sonys first party studio output. I fear we won't see any exclusive next-gen-only AAA Titles for both consoles until mid 2021/2022.

This has never been the case with Sony and they have made no implication that it'll be any different this time. I flat out will not buy a console until it has next-gen only titles, I've already bought a mid-gen upgrade, I have no interest in a late-gen upgrade.

I expect 1-2 first/second party, next-gen only titles on day one with Sony and 1-2 more within the launch period (~ November-March).

When it comes to the actual launch, I think MS' approach of no next-gen titles at launch is going to leave people underwhelmed and Sony may steal the show.

Ascend

The Inside Xbox event reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 3. It was overall good, but because the ending disappointed, people remember their final emotion and disregard the whole thing based on that alone.

coolmast3r

Big BRUHHHH if a cross gen title can't do 60fps without RT we are secrwed 🤦🤦🤦

Such a big disappointment.
8JpfhGt.jpg
Oh wow.

If Valhalla actually ends up 4K/30FPS that would be hilarious. So much talk about "12 teraflops of processing power" and how "this upcoming generation will change as dramatically as any since 2D to 3D given CPU upgrade" and we are still supposedly seeing a 30FPS cross-gen title which doesn't even look that good considering the on-paper performance gap with the 8th gen.

I really, really hope they are targeting locked 4K/60 with this game.

WHAT IF... Sony has the marketing rights to the games from these studios? (With the exception of Bluepoint Games and

I expect the big games to be reserved for bigger events than Inside Xbox. Like you said the marketing deals will determine where those games will be shown first.

With that in mind we should see them in June or July the rumor hold up.

Ascend

Oh wow.

If Valhalla actually ends up 4K/30FPS that would be hilarious. So much talk about "12 teraflops of processing power" and how "this upcoming generation will change as dramatically as any since 2D to 3D given CPU upgrade" and we are still supposedly seeing a 30FPS cross-gen title which doesn't even look that good considering the on-paper performance gap with the 8th gen.

I really, really hope they are targeting locked 4K/60 with this game.
Technically, a game like Assassin's Creed doesn't really need 60fps. Developers have to choose to sacrifice graphics for framerate or vice versa. And if they are releasing it on the older consoles as well, the push to 60fps on the new consoles can be a possible issue, depending on how the engine works on the consoles. Not that it would be impossible, but possibly, Ubisoft is not willing to pay for the additional work it requires.

Leaving this here;

Audiophile

Neither the Road To PS5 or Inside Xbox May streams were a problem in themselves. It's that they were marketed and hyped poorly; and presented as something they were not.

Some may say part of it is on those who expected something different or who expected something more than what was reasonable. In some regards, perhaps... but these are multi-billion dollar companies who should have entire departments dedicated to taking these things in into account and adjusting accordingly.

This shows to me that parts of these companies remain blatantly out of touch and continues to utilise short-term thinking and bullshit cookie cutter approaches to marketing and presentation. It's problematic when the average GAF, REE or B3D member could probably organise, market and convey this stuff better with an adobe suite, notepad and a few social media accounts.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
what about this?

it's time to take appropriate action? or it ever be right time?

You have been given plenty of chances to drop this petty witch hunt every time it comes up. Take a week off, and when you come back stop jumping at opportunities to derail the threads around it attempting to box moderation into a wall. Moderation is in real time and can only be judged appropriately in that timeframe. When the time comes, we will handle them as we did with several already.

Everyone else, keep this thread on topic with speculation, and do so without attacking one another in which I am seeing crop up again.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Okay so Jason Schreier was on Press Start Podcast. And said some interesting things:

- As far as he knows, Sony plans to have at least one event by early or mid June, as long as the Covid situation doesn't make Sony change it's plans (38:57) this probably means no big reveals this month, sadly

- About Halo Infinite's possible development issues, he said that even if the game needed more time to develop it's almost impossible to delay because it's the big Xbox Series X launch game. And that he has heard, this was years ago so it might not be accurate anymore, that the next Halo (Halo Infinite), was going to be released in "pieces". (1:09:35)

If the Halo thing ends up being accurate it could be because they're against the clock and need to release that big launch title alongside Series X or could also hint to a Game as a Service aproach.

First week of June for a PS5 event is what the whispers have been saying for a couple of weeks now but happy to hear some of these guys repeating it openly.

coolmast3r

Technically, a game like Assassin's Creed doesn't really need 60fps. Developers have to choose to sacrifice graphics for framerate or vice versa. And if they are releasing it on the older consoles as well, the push to 60fps on the new consoles can be a possible issue, depending on how the engine works on the consoles. Not that it would be impossible, but possibly, Ubisoft is not willing to pay for the additional work it requires.

Leaving this here;
With the yesterdays "gameplay" of Vallhalla in mind would you say the supposed 30FPS cap is a required sacrifice for a level of graphical fidelity we witnessed?

I'm just honestly not seeing how what we saw requires (again, supposedly) targeting a 30FPS cap considering hardware it's supposed ro run on.

Ascend

With the yesterdays "gameplay" of Vallhalla in mind would you say the supposed 30FPS cap is a required sacrifice for a level of graphical fidelity we witnessed?

I'm just honestly not seeing how what we saw requires (again, supposedly) targeting a 30FPS cap considering hardware it's supposed ro run on.
No. I don't think the sacrifice would be required. It's more likely that Ubi is unwilling to fund the optimization for 60 fps.

Audiophile

If the Valhalla upgrade is just a bump to 4K @ 30FPS and not much else, that'd be highly disappointing and likely an indicator of a lack of incentive or will to do more rather than system capabilities.

However, if they make additional significant upgrades to the graphics themselves then that would be much more understandable.

I expect, the X1X version will be in the 1620P+ @ 30FPS ballpark already and if all they intend to do is push more pixels -- temporal or spatial -- then I see no reason why the XSX hardware can't do 4K @ 60FPS minimum with that same game. I'd even expect a bump to some filtering and other fx too in addition to the expected reduction in pop-in and very fast loads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom