• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its gonna be funny when the 2tf advantage ends up showing up in a few extra particle effects and the 50% IO advantage, half a second quicker loading times. 😆

Multiplats will be basically the same, and the only real differences may appear in the 1st party titles.

Same as always.

Basically what every sniff of genuine insider information has been saying since before we knew the specifications of either console.
You’re going to need Digital Foundry zoom ins and slow motion shots to point out the differences.

As engines continue to shift towards fixed target frame rates and variable dynamic resolution there’s not going to be much to see from counting frames either.
And frame drops during some scenes are typically CPU bound or caused by cache inefficiencies or memory fetch latencies rather than running out of raw GPU compute capacity.

What separates each console will come down to their unique games. And not just single system sellers but spread and variety of unique games also. Targeting ease of development and removing a lot of the complexity that was previously required could make it a golden era of games.

The console that will have the most graphically impressive game will come down to the talent of the artists and programmers of an individual studio, not a GPU.

Dibils2k

Its gonna be funny when the 2tf advantage ends up showing up in a few extra particle effects and the 50% IO advantage, half a second quicker loading times. 😆

Multiplats will be basically the same, and the only real differences may appear in the 1st party titles.

Same as always.
if the particles are visibly different it will send the internet into a craze, people went crazy over some grass missing on xbox version of gta5

Corndog

Banned
12 tflops 4k
4 tflops 1080p
2 tflops 720p

might as well release a 1 tflops shithole of a console with the same ssd and cpu that runs games at 480p.

we must go lower.

this has to literally be the worst gen ever.
Just skip this one and wait for the next. Then it will be a huge jump.

roops67

Can someone tell me what vetting is done by the mod(s) to confirm a post from a dev is genuine? Is this vetting process 'really' flawless? What are the chances of me fabricating something here and successfully passing it through vetting??
I assure you I've got no nefarious intentions ...just interested that's all :lollipop_hushed:

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Taking no prisoners

images

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know what is the equivalent of the Zen 2 CPU found within PS5 and Series X? as in which off the shelf AMD CPU could we expect to have the same performance as the next-gen consoles?

Digital Foundry described the current to next-gen CPU jump as a "truly generational leap" so curious to see what kind of FPS numbers PS5 or Series X will be able to hit on games like Witcher 3 or AC Unity.

In essence it's time and effort that could of been used on the higher performing spec to create/ polish other content.

I know it won't be as easy as flipping a switch but it shouldn't be difficult for developers to make the game run on Lockhart. The reason why I say this is that Lockharts architecture will be very similar to the XSXs. If Lockhart had a completely different design then I could see it as a problem. However that's not the case here.

icerock

jesus, i havent seen a burn like this since harvey dent in the dark knight.

No need to go that far, there’s been one recently. I suggest digging through Schreiers post history on the other site, he pulled out an absolute heater on one of the resident devs here. It wasn’t pretty.

Taking no prisoners

I didn’t know that 5nm chips were already in production. Can someone tell AMD? I mean seriously, you all are going to hang your hat on a tweet from a person who is mentioning a spec APU that literally isn’t even in AMDs pipeline for the next 18 months per AMD themselves.

Matts comments makes no sense.

At this point he’s salty. He doesn’t know anything. Y’all need to be smarter. AMD has no 5nm chips per AMD Ignore Him.

icerock

I didn’t know that 5nm chips were already in production. Can someone tell AMD? I mean seriously, you all are going to hang your hat on a tweet from a person who is mentioning a spec APU that literally isn’t even in AMDs pipeline for the next 18 months per AMD themselves.

Matts comments makes no sense.

At this point he’s salty. He doesn’t know anything. Y’all need to be smarter. AMD has no 5nm chips per AMD Ignore Him.

That went straight over you head, whoosh!

Matt is taking the piss out of him. He’s suggesting 20 CUs on an even advanced node would be fit for the purpose of a handled at 720/1080p, which Lockhart is not. Its a full fledged next-gen console meant to last next 7-8 years.

That went straight over you head, whoosh!

Matt is taking the piss out of him. He’s suggesting 20 CUs on an even advanced node would be fit for the purpose of a handled at 720/1080p, which Lockhart is not. Its a full fledged next-gen console meant to last next 7-8 years.

Can you Tell me what the 4d chess was?

Tom Warren talking about a 20 CU 7nm chip for a small form size 1080p console makes sense.

what they heck does a 5nm chip have anything to do with it?

AMD won’t be on 20 CU for 2 years. Matt knows shit.

20 CU was theorized on the github leai. Which has been correct for the most part. what has Matt said that is anyway in the realm of possibility. Can you point me to one thing he’ssaid that that has been accurate?

Last edited:

roops67

You're not going to pass off a DualShock 4 controller as a Dual Sense controller right?

:messenger_winking_tongue:
Nah nothing like that. Whats with all the pigeon references? I'm feeling left out on the inside joke :messenger_loudly_crying:

I'm referring to a recent post claiming inside info from a dev. I'm not gonna call it out as BS till I got some facts right... but it sure smells like sircaw's breath :messenger_medmask:
Sorry sircaw don't take it personally, I needed a fishy reference :messenger_peace:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Awwh come on, try me. I hate being late to the party and missing out the fun. It's like hearing the punchline without the joke
odium used to be a gaf insider, talked about pigeons a lot. not sure why. he got owned by jason schrier on era after odium shared a doctored video of him saying he hates all xbox fanboys. jason then posted the non doctored video of him saying he hates all fanboys, and odium was banned soon after that.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Awwh come on, try me. I hate being late to the party and missing out the fun
Was just kidding around....I look for any excuse to use that Joker meme lol

But yeah if you want an explanation...well...where do I even start?

There once was a man named Odium on this thread, he was a console enthusiast and also a part time pigeon whisperer.

Long story short, he claimed to know the PS5 specs and this was before Cerny’s tech talk, him being a a pigeon whisperer, naturally he decided to communicate these specs in pigeon language.

Here is what manifested from that communication and I’m sorry to all those who are still suffering pigeon trauma thanks to this pic
HtDcIIt.jpg

Yes I know, it’s horrible to look at. The amount of cucoos was meant to be the amount of CU’s in the PS5 and the 1600 on the address was supposed to be the clock speed. Wrong I know. I’m actually losing brain cells writing this lol

After Odium was proved wrong he disappeared from this thread, however legend has it he will return one day as a fully fledged pigeon in attempts to communicate his tech wisdom in cucoo language. The End.

Last edited by a moderator:

roops67

odium used to be a gaf insider, talked about pigeons a lot. not sure why. he got owned by jason schrier on era after odium shared a doctored video of him saying he hates all xbox fanboys. jason then posted the non doctored video of him saying he hates all fanboys, and odium was banned soon after that.
Gotta say that's just straight up weird! Not sure to laugh or say 'eh?'. I guess odium himself was a Xbox fan pretending to be an insider??
Thanks for filling in the blank tho 👍

roops67

Was just kidding around....I look for any excuse to use that Joker meme lol

But yeah if you want an explanation...well...where do I even start?

There once was a man named Odium on this thread, he was a console enthusiast and also a part time pigeon whisperer.

Long story short, he claimed to know the PS5 specs and this was before Cerny’s tech talk, him being a a pigeon whisperer, naturally he decided to communicate these specs in pigeon language.

Here is what manifested from that communication and I’m sorry to all those who are still suffering pigeon trauma thanks to this pic
HtDcIIt.jpg

Yes I know, it’s horrible to look at. The amount of cucoos was meant to be the amount of CU’s in the PS5 and the 1600 on the address was supposed to be the clock speed. Wrong I know. I’m actually losing brain cells writing this lol

After Odium was proved wrong he disappeared from this thread, however legend has it he will return one day as a fully fledged pigeon in attempts to communicate his tech wisdom in cucoo language. The End.
Oh wow, but how the fook were we supposed to interpret that, couldn't get more ambiguous then that!! Coo coo ROFL
Thanks man, now I feel complete :messenger_beaming:

I would've posted this sooner - but much like Warren, many gaming journalists and influencers are waayyyy out of their depth when discussing tech-specs. It's a cringey, honestly.

like forums discussions? because I think Warren knows more than any of us.

Well yes in one length, but the XSX is a protruding lump whichever way you lay it. #notwarring

Well, at least you can put it on more than one way without the need of a stand. And XSX is smaller than most people think. And PS5 is larger in two ways, it is larger than XSX.

Last edited:
Tom Warren doesn't know what he's talking about, but from what I've seen, neither does Hargett.
You realize that Hargett was a principle software engineer on the PS5, right? He obviously doesn't know all the inner workings at Microsoft, but the man has experience in the business of console making and certainly has an understanding of hardware on a level most don't.

Last edited:
off subject do ps5 and series x games have 7.1 surround or is it still 5.1? Are surround sound headphones worth it?
Both consoles have dedicaded 3D audio chips so I'd say even if some developers don't take advantage of it ,7.1 will be the standard. And answering the second question, yes, a surround headset would be worth it if you are planning to get one

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You realize that Hargett was a principle software engineer on the PS5, right? He obviously doesn't know all the inner workings at Microsoft, but the man has experience in the business of console making and certainly has an understanding of hardware on a level most don't.
And talks about 5nm chips that aren't even out this year as a hardware piece for XSS... So if Tom Warren talks about tech he knows nothing about he's a fanboy and an idiot. If Matt does it it's all good.

Brudda26

Can you Tell me what the 4d chess was?

Tom Warren talking about a 20 CU 7nm chip for a small form size 1080p console makes sense.

what they heck does a 5nm chip have anything to do with it?

AMD won’t be on 20 CU for 2 years. Matt knows shit.

20 CU was theorized on the github leai. Which has been correct for the most part. what has Matt said that is anyway in the realm of possibility. Can you point me to one thing he’ssaid that that has been accurate?
That's the point he is making with tom being fast and loose with reporting. Matt is saying that 5nm stuff on purpose as its realm of possibility but likely it wont be as a example of tom reporting. Also matt is former principal PS5 engineer. He knows more than pretty much everyone.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

So who was it that brought up the 5nm chip and portable device theory, my understanding was that it was Matt not Tom.

If so why is Matt calling Tom out when Matt just went with a completely left field theory, was it supposed to be some troll mockery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom