• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's also mind blowing is that NVIDIA has the the same terminologies for VRS, Mesh Shader, SFS, etc. DirectX is a hardware abstracted API that AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel can do their implementations. And each company have different implementations. It's obvious that the next gen GPU technologies have been in work for a long time and DirectX is one way to utilize them. Sony has not confirmed nor denied these features exist although the implications are that they do exist and/or further customized.
pc games are dominated by dx. Do people forget both amd and nvidia are selling pc gpus?

duhmetree

What's also mind blowing is that NVIDIA has the the same terminologies for VRS, Mesh Shader, SFS, etc. DirectX is a hardware abstracted API that AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel can do their implementations. And each company have different implementations. It's obvious that the next gen GPU technologies have been in work for a long time and DirectX is one way to utilize them. Sony has not confirmed nor denied these features exist although the implications are that they do exist and/or further customized.
We dont know what they have or what they're using but we DO KNOW their games are looking phenomenal. All their AAA games have RayTracing and near-instant loading. If anything, Sony may be better off without DXR and 'full RDNA2 specs'... DXR seems to be too demanding.

I was hoping for more confirmation today but we're gonna have to keep waiting.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I'm genuinely thinking about that right now, some people are coming on here pretending there was sort of big win for team Green and some major disappointment for Team Blue, I really don't see it honestly. Unless people had some wild expectations for todays event or something but who knows lol

Yes exactly, I consider RGT a very reliable source as many of you already know. If his information is correct then Sony won't say it flat out, it's never been their style, we'll likely hear it in some sort of interview with Mark Cerny or even developers but God knows when.

Even other information which he has leaked, like PS5's APU unique customisations and certain features which will influence AMD's Roadmap like RDNA 3, well we won't even find out till a year from know when RDNA 3 gets revealed.

Yeah, I don't get the drama either. Both Sony and MS have been saying "Custom RDNA 2" for a long time. Now we know MS is more standard with the desktop implementation of RDNA 2. Doesn't mean that anything is necessarily MISSING for Sony or BETTER for MS. Just is.

Sony may have kicked off something that RDNA 2 uses standard in favor of their own custom designed implementation, which is likely.

In the end...so far we're seeing the same games run at the same resolution and frame rate, so at least SO FAR, there doesn't seem to be anything positive about being all RDNA 2 or spectacular about NOT being all RDNA 2. Maybe we'll see more as we get closer and then beyond launch? But right now it still is what we've been thinking it was for a long time now....the closest generation ever, at least as far as the power calculation.

Yeah, I don't get the drama either. Both Sony and MS have been saying "Custom RDNA 2" for a long time. Now we know MS is more standard with the desktop implementation of RDNA 2. Doesn't mean that anything is necessarily MISSING for Sony or BETTER for MS. Just is.

Sony may have kicked off something that RDNA 2 uses standard in favor of their own custom designed implementation, which is likely.

In the end...so far we're seeing the same games run at the same resolution and frame rate, so at least SO FAR, there doesn't seem to be anything positive about being all RDNA 2 or spectacular about NOT being all RDNA 2. Maybe we'll see more as we get closer and then beyond launch? But right now it still is what we've been thinking it was for a long time now....the closest generation ever, at least as far as the power calculation.
actually by looking at hardware architecture and configuration, I can almost conclude the tweet about the front end is very credible. The fact that rdna2 is on the same node reinforced it.

Games Dean

Hey Pep, how many weeks till the PS5 comes out?
bf68H.gif

Dnice123

Also RGT has been right lately. He could be right about PS5 too, but as long as Sony doesn't say a thing... we just can go with the things that have been publicly said.

These systems will be taken apart and the APU die will be put under electronic microscopes a few days after they are released. Chipworks did it 5 days after PS4 release. So we'll find out soon.
ps4-reverse-engineered-apu.jpg

I do find it interesting folks seem to be under the impression Microsoft (and Sony) for that matter are blind to what the other is doing. I'm quite sure they have already gotten access to one another's hardware taken it apart, priced it out, and put everything under microscopes.

These systems will be taken apart and the APU die will be put under electronic microscopes a few days after they are released. Chipworks did it 5 days after PS4 release. So we'll find out soon.
ps4-reverse-engineered-apu.jpg

I do find it interesting folks seem to be under the impression Microsoft (and Sony) for that matter are blind to what the other is doing. I'm quite sure they have already gotten access to one another's hardware taken it apart, priced it out, and put everything under microscopes.
By now, yep. But before, they may not necessarily have access to the hardware itself. But direct access or info on certain parts through supply chain is possible. Research papers and patents are also publicly available.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Sony needs to answer that MS tweet...

I don’t know, maybe if they throw some buzzwords like GNM-X-RayTracing-Ultimate, GNMFoveatedRendering-12 or PS5Direct-GNM-I/O it will work.

I really don't think they do. So far the games are all running same resolution and frame rate and Sony has shown way more with Ray Tracing, etc. They'll have an immense speed advantage as far as loading games as well. So they're just fine. The average consumer doesn't CARE about "RDNA 2" or anything like that either. They'll see great looking games, super fast loading and power on (we assume), and they'll make their choices.

It's us tech geeks that are even curious about these esoteric features of the consoles and their chipsets. SOME of us may even make purchasing decisions based on that, but that will be a very few. Most buy because of the ecosystem they prefer and the games they prefer. Or they buy both.

TLZ

Banned
AZDlqur.png

Just got rejected from RE lol .. wtf it’s the same email and it’s a professional one, wtf is wrong with this website?. Is this how they welcome the new comers?.

btw I registered with the same nickname ( Captain Hero ) is that the reason? Lol
Captain Hero Captain Hero Why are you even registering with these snowflakes?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I'm confused about something.

What's the horrible news that came out of this conference?
X-Box fans will now once more claim that PS5 is RDNA 0.7 or something.

Same shit, different day.

It also directly revealed that some features are exclusive to the Series S/X though, it goes both ways. Why haven't sony talked about SuperResolution, VRS, etc? Because they likely don't have it.

The PS5 is able to pseudo-upscale its games' resolution to the point DF cannot tell if they're watching 1440p or native 4K.

Who gives a fuck about 'SuperResolution' or whatever term fanboys use to get their 'gotchas'?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
The PS5 is able to pseudo-upscale its games' resolution to the point DF cannot tell if they're watching 1440p or native 4K.

Who gives a fuck about 'SuperResolution' or whatever term fanboys use to get their 'gotchas'?
Just because they can't pixel count doesn't mean they can't tell if it's native 4k or not.

"SuperResolution" isn't a fanboy term, it's literally the name of AMDs feature lol. It's Machine Learning driven upscaling, like DLSS. Sony have not mentioned anything about it, so it seems like they don't have it since they don't have the full RDNA2 feature set.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Just because they can't pixel count doesn't mean they can't tell if it's native 4k or not.

"SuperResolution" isn't a fanboy term, it's literally the name of AMDs feature lol. It's Machine Learning driven upscaling, like DLSS. Sony have not mentioned anything about it, so it seems like they don't have it since they don't have the full RDNA2 feature set.
Or they have it and don’t talk about it ...
but focus on output/games.

LiquidRex

So what's the story today, has Sony revealed PS5 has RDNA 3 secret sauce. 😜

For some reason, my input is no longer required and as a result I can't join the conversation in further posts... That's a shame... I really enjoyed this thread.

Sorry if I upset anyone, was never my intention.
🤷‍♂️

To any admins watching, let me back in.... I'm one of the nice guys. 😉

Interesting... Can't wait for comparison vids XSX vs PS5 🤔

Looking forward to seeing MGS again... He's kept us waiting. 😛

So now the discussion is Demon Souls has no RT 🤷‍♂️

I did say Silent Hill is real, but that's no all. 😋

Hey Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem who let you back in. 😛

Last edited:
Dee: I triEd 2 teLL DeM! 🤣🤣🤣

Lapping up PR arse fluff, Sony implemented their own customised solutions fuckwit. FFS. Get off twitter, listen to unbiased sources of information, preferably peeps with computer science degrees.
Oh, man. Look at this, I really don't know what happened today to make him say this. Is like if PS5 not having DirectX12 or other features means the PS5 is weaker than the PS4 Pro or something.

Last edited:

Hashi

Those are tricks to hide low quality assets. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

geordiemp

What?
You saw what the PS5 had to do for it's cooling solution, including a massive heat sink, and liquid metal and it's only a 36CU GPU.
If MS ran the Series X to 2 or more GhZ like the PS5 did, using a 52CU GPU, what type of cooling rig do you think they would have had to implement?
That's exactly why they had the clocks they do. Nothing to do with if the CU is a RDNA 2 CU.

What, so XSX has Pervasive fine grain clock gating ? Really ?

hlcDnaT.png

Last edited:

geordiemp

Sony have their own feaure set, their own Geometry engine and their own VRS.

jcinx8C.png

Its sony RDNA2 as it does what Sony need which is more advanced VRS that can also do VR, Sony needa VR type VRS as well.

Same goes for mesh shader, sony need a custom one that is performant in VR. There are more patents, you intereted. Probably not.

Last edited:
Not really, white paper will confirm what Kitty has stated.

They are laughing at all the RDNA2 stuff, it is amusing.

Just let it go. You are like the Xbox nuffies who are saying the PS5 is only software based RT.

Hardware Times spoke to AMD directly about the XSX GPU, and I quote " I spoke to AMD and turns out that the GPU is the full-fledged RDNA 2 (The PS5 GPU isn’t confirmed to be based on the same as of now) "

You seem to want it to be true rather than knowing it is.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Just let it go. You are like the Xbox nuffies who are saying the PS5 is only software based RT.

Hardware Times spoke to AMD directly about the XSX GPU, and I quote " I spoke to AMD and turns out that the GPU is the full-fledged RDNA 2 (The PS5 GPU isn’t confirmed to be based on the same as of now) "

You seem to want it to be true rather than knowing it is.

I will let it go, if CU individual frequency or hotchips is not sufficient, AMD white paper will seal the deal anyway. It will be plain as day and that will wrap it up for good with no wiggle room at all.

Back on topic, new DF video

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom