• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Dealer, you can run the enhanced Sea of Thieves XSX version from an external drive.
They think is weird because we've been hearing from both companies that for a game to take advantage of the console's I/O you would need to play from the internal storage.
Tbh, this podcast is interesting, no warring just answering questions about the console.

Banned
According to Dealer, you can run the enhanced Sea of Thieves XSX version from an external drive.
They think is weird because we've been hearing from both companies that for a game to take advantage of the console's I/O you would need to play from the internal storage.
Tbh, this podcast is interesting, no warring just answering questions about the console.

this could be an exception for cross gen patched games. What would be a great feature would be the option for developers to greenlight external usb drives for their games if they decide that the SSD was not needed for any crucial in game design decisions.

that way you could trade speed for storage space if you wish

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Have some FUD HUD, Gaf.
ky2aXiQ.jpg

onQ123

Reviewers/youtubers & other media people seem more exited about PS5's controller than they are about the whole Xbox Series X.
Microsoft will have to do something to keep it from being a one sided race because right now it look like Halo is the only thing they will have planned for the next year or so to even fight back. A RT Minecraft bundle for the Series S should get some momentum if they can pull it off.

Andodalf

Banned
Reviewers/youtubers & other media people seem more exited about PS5's controller than they are about the whole Xbox Series X.
Microsoft will have to do something to keep it from being a one sided race because right now it look like Halo is the only thing they will have planned for the next year or so to even fight back. A RT Minecraft bundle for the Series S should get some momentum if they can pull it off.

Starfield.

Tmack

This could be the video if true. He gave a full UI walkthrough before embargo ended.

edit: Didn't know Microsoft could practically brick a console remotely by someone username or maybe they used the S/N .. idk!

Ha, and he not even got enough views with that crap video to pay for an xbox by his own means (less than 100k views right now).

This could be the video if true. He gave a full UI walkthrough before embargo ended.

edit: Didn't know Microsoft could practically brick a console remotely by someone username or maybe they used the S/N .. idk!

Xbox usually introduce a small code hidden in your UI in case someone show something which should be not be public.

I remember they did that in Xbox 360 in the icon in the right bottom, the waves indicates the ID of your console.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
What are the chances of Sony and Microsoft having the same idea ("activities" or "events") during developmonet of their respective consoles? Gotta be 1%. Imma calling FBI!

Was a tough decision but I canceled my Series X tonight. The first time since the 360 I’m not buying a Xbox on release day but I have a one x and a PS5 preordered. Just don’t feel the need for it right now.
The thought has crossed my mind to cancel my Series X pre-order also since seeing the reviews but I know I will just buy it later on once exclusive games start coming out so I guess I will just keep it.

It's kinda annoying how easily everyone can just grab a headset, but the one I paid for 2 months ago still hasn't arrived or even shipped yet.

I don’t see the point of getting it before the PS5. But it is strange that Amazon has not shipped out the headsets yet when all of the other retailers have.

Zadom

Reading things about the controller like in this article get me excited.

Let’s end our brief tour of ingenious uses of basic technologies on a high note. A very high note: Sony’s PS5 controller appears to be a triumph of good design. We’ll need to use it for longer and fully review it to verify our early impressions, but oh boy is it a fun little gadget.

Andrew Webster wrote up some impressions, and the TL;DR is that it has haptics that are more advanced than any I’ve felt — in more ways than one. Firstly, the controller can make all sorts of subtle, discrete (and discreet!) taps that are tied to what’s happening in-game. You can really feel the difference when your character walks on a hard surface or a soft surface.

Second, the triggers have a mechanism for adding tension when you pull on them. There’s a motor attached to a corkscrew that’s geared up against the trigger; just look at the illustration in this post. It introduces a lot of new mechanics to games — or at least the possibility of them.

I got to briefly try the controller myself and I fully understand why everybody is so hyped up over a thing that’s so seemingly mundane. It’s just a very thoughtfully designed object that creates new experiences simply by creative use of simple components.

All of these features could have fallen flat. It’s not enough to have the neat idea, you have also have to have excellent execution. Today, just as a break, take a second to appreciate when those two things come together.

THEAP99

Banned
Reading things about the controller like in this article get me excited.

Let’s end our brief tour of ingenious uses of basic technologies on a high note. A very high note: Sony’s PS5 controller appears to be a triumph of good design. We’ll need to use it for longer and fully review it to verify our early impressions, but oh boy is it a fun little gadget.

Andrew Webster wrote up some impressions, and the TL;DR is that it has haptics that are more advanced than any I’ve felt — in more ways than one. Firstly, the controller can make all sorts of subtle, discrete (and discreet!) taps that are tied to what’s happening in-game. You can really feel the difference when your character walks on a hard surface or a soft surface.

Second, the triggers have a mechanism for adding tension when you pull on them. There’s a motor attached to a corkscrew that’s geared up against the trigger; just look at the illustration in this post. It introduces a lot of new mechanics to games — or at least the possibility of them.

I got to briefly try the controller myself and I fully understand why everybody is so hyped up over a thing that’s so seemingly mundane. It’s just a very thoughtfully designed object that creates new experiences simply by creative use of simple components.

All of these features could have fallen flat. It’s not enough to have the neat idea, you have also have to have excellent execution. Today, just as a break, take a second to appreciate when those two things come together.
I sadly have strong pessimism that that reviewers will say something along the lines of "astrobots dualsense features blew me away. Sadly, when I played other games like Spider-man and sackboy, the dualsense did not have as much effort put into it."

I said it before and I'll say it again, just make team asobi the official dualsense implementation team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom