• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. Just looking through John’s (from DF) Twitter, he seems to be going all out on trolls and fanboys accusing him of stuff. I know it might be a little funny to see but it’s also a little concerning, it’s clear he’s been suffering from mental health issues (I’m not saying that as a dig). I kinda empathise with him, the lead up to this next-gen has been extremely toxic and it’s easy to get caught up in a lot of this stuff, especially now that a lot us are stuck at home thanks to the lockdown (well here in the U.K anyway).

Grinchy

Banned
Holy shit. Just looking through John’s (from DF) Twitter, he seems to be going all out on trolls and fanboys accusing him of stuff. I know it might be a little funny to see but it’s also a little concerning, it’s clear he’s been suffering from mental health issues (I’m not saying that as a dig). I kinda empathise with him, the lead up to this next-gen has been extremely toxic and it’s easy to get caught up in a lot of this stuff, especially now that a lot us are stuck at home thanks to the lockdown (well here in the U.K anyway).
I feel like I've seen so many instances in the last couple years where he just takes internet bullshit way too seriously. I don't know why he even gets so heavily involved with internet idiots in the first place.

He used to come into threads on here, see 9/10 people telling him how great a video was, and then the 1/10 internet fuckstick would get his full attention and it was like the other 9/10 comments were background noise. I feel like he could learn how to ignore the people whose only goal is to get a rise out of him.

Yeah, he just needs to block every single one of those toxic fanboys. I don’t know why he tries to argue with those guys. All those guys on Twitter are kids anyway, they wouldn’t even be able to look into your eyes If you would discuss this matter in real life personally.

user1337

Overall I think they are using generic 7.1 channel or limited sources as I wasn't impressed by 3D audio in this little game, maybe to save space? The resistance in the adaptive triggers are a bit aggressive to my liking although cool, but might tune them down to weak or something less intense.

With regards to the 3D sound effect:

- I've realised that with last gen games, you are better off switching it off completely. It created a 3D effect from audio that was not designed with this tech in mind, and can actually throw you off the game. Case in point, Apex legends. The over the top 3D affect made all other sound slightly muffled. I'm sure I could get used to it over time, but not really needed. So I switch it off.

- In new games that are made with 3D audio in mind it's actually quite nice. Case in point, Demons Souls. Sounds great on it and since I haven't played demons souls with normal audio for over 500 hours like I have with Apex, I have no reference point for "non-3D audio". So for this I switch it on.

This brings me to a my pet peeve on the current audio options on the "Control Centre (quick menu)". It doesn't let me quickly switch 3D affect on or off. You have to go all the way into the full settings screen, audio screen, then scroll down to 3D, then switch it on or off. Would make life a lot easier if there was a simple switch in the quick menu.

With regards to the Trigger:

I have set mine to "low". With close to 1000 hours of rocket league and countless hours on FPS games, my trigger finger is majorly fatigued lol. The resistance, while feeling great, very quickly starts getting uncomfortable for me. I blame this RSI entirely on rocket league lol. Blasted game is making me miss out on such a cool feature. Envious of people who are able to keep this on high and enjoy the affect fully.

With regards to Haptics:

Really like it! Really enjoyed how its able to simulate vibrations are specific parts of the controller and vary the type of vibrations.

With regards to UI:

Smooth as silk. Needs a bit of getting used to though. Way too used to double pressing PS button to jump between 2 things. Can't technically do that anymore.

Everyhting else:

Bloody brilliant! Bring on God of War!

Last edited:

Zheph

I've been tweeting him so many times to not engage or at least quickly check the profile of the people he is answering to... kinda sad to see all that bickering tbh

PaintTinJr

Dude, no, why?!

Headphones are not meant to be used at max volume :messenger_grimmacing_

99.99% chance to cause hearing damage with max volume on about any headphones. I just dont get how and why people do this:messenger_sad_relieved:

Most headphones should be painfully loud after 50-70%, yet I read so often about using max volume.

Sound quality is also worse as distortion comes + ears are saturated by way too loud noises.

Well they are your ears. But just know, it is not safe at all.

Many even claim that they use Sony wh1000xm3 at max volume, which is around 100dB or more. I have them and they are painfully loud at 40-50% and at max thry are like tiny speakers screaming across the room.

It is like rock concerts, some people dont notice/feel it is way too loud to be without ear plugs = hearing damage is possible even from 1 concert.

People, dont fuck up your only set of current gen ears:messenger_pensive:
To be fair I would like the chance to try my Sony WF-1000XM3 wireless buds on ps5 with 3D audio at any volume.

Anyone want to guess which hardware company's products I love buying don't work together?

And although I thought I could just relay the 3D audio to them through my Sony HT-NT3 soundbar - using the bluetooth transmit feature, like I could on PS4/Ghost of tsushima - you can only turn on the 3D audio feature of the PS5 with a phono jack inserted into the DualSense or a whitelisted pair of headphones working.

So now I'll be needing to get a phono to bluetooth transmitter - and figure out a way to power it while cabled into the pad when sat on the sofa.

I wish Sony would just add an expert mode to the bluetooth accessories menu where you can override their whitelisting. They should forget about wasted effort on green packaging if they are going to make people like me buy another set of bluetooth phones or transmitter (made of plastics), which does far more damage to the planet.

Really disappointed that the bluetooth functionality on the PS5 at launch still hasn't reached the level of an Android 6.0 smartphone.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yup seem’s like the game is running through BC mode on PS5. Although I’m confident Rockstar will give it a next-gen patch similar to what they’re doing with GTA 5. The game is absolutely gorgeous.
The game needs a next gen update with proper HDR. Their implementation is straight trash

FunkMiller

Dude, no, why?!

99.99% chance to cause hearing damage with max volume on about any headphones. I just dont get how and why people do this:messenger_sad_relieved:

Most headphones should be painfully loud after 50-70%, yet I read so often about using max volume.

Sound quality is also worse as distortion comes + ears are saturated by way too loud noises.

Well they are your ears. But just know, it is not safe at all.

Many even claim that they use Sony wh1000xm3 at max volume, which is around 100dB or more. I have them and they are painfully loud at 40-50% and at max thry are like tiny speakers screaming across the room.

It is like rock concerts, some people dont notice/feel it is way too loud to be without ear plugs = hearing damage is possible even from 1 concert.

People, dont fuck up your only set of current gen ears:messenger_pensive:

As someone who suffers with tinnitus, I endorse all of this message 👍

FunkMiller

The problem for John is that his livelihood is partly dependent on courting and communicating with people on social media. Which exposes him to some utter cunts.

The mental health problems being suffered by folks who rely on social media for their jobs must be sky fucking high at this point.

Xbox SX truly is the best place to play m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶-̶p̶l̶a̶t̶f̶o̶r̶m̶ last gen games.
giphy.gif

Thirty7ven

Banned
Dude, no, why?!

My ears hurt from the default volume the PS5 came with. Literally, painfully loud.

Fordino

I had some hope of getting my first platinum trophy on Astrobot. Man. Those speed runs require each to be under 50 sec. I played for 3 hours today and couldn't get em all together under 7 min. I am getting old for sure.
The speed runs aren’t needed for the platinum, that trophy isn’t part of the main trophy list.

I’ve only ever done one speed run and have got the platinum.

FrankWza

I had some hope of getting my first platinum trophy on Astrobot. Man. Those speed runs require each to be under 50 sec. I played for 3 hours today and couldn't get em all together under 7 min. I am getting old for sure.
The speed runs aren’t needed for the platinum, that trophy isn’t part of the main trophy list.

I’ve only ever done one speed run and have got the platinum.
Yup. Easy platinum trophy but that speed run gold trophy is harder than getting the platinum. It’s not that hard but definitely the most challenging trophy in the game.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And that I did. Because I don't have a choice, lol. Anyway, I would give Astro's Playroom 10/10 for being free, and 9/10 if it was for like $30.

Speaking of haptic feedback, it's very impressive, really feels organic.

But adaptive triggers, well they are tiresome after some hours, I'll leave them on default and see how they react on other games. If they are as stiff as they are now on Astro I'll tune them down.

Overall, I understand the feedback better from HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and @onesvenus now, although I won't close them but understand that some might not like some of those features.

Pulse 3D only tested on Astro, and overall it's pretty light and comfy, but sounds like $100, it's not punching above its weight. Maybe Astro isn't as good as when went to the menu for HRTF profile (I preferred the default) it sounds much more impactful. Volume is perfect and high enough at full (I always go full), but compared to my previews experience on Astro A40+Mixamp it feels muffled or chocked on Astro's Playroom. Put in mind this is only on one game that's tiny and 100% doesn't have a wide range of 3D audio space.

Controllers feel as if I didn't change my DS4, which is great, but slightly better especially the grips as my hands tend to sweat.

And turned off the auto (rest mode) for all situations just to be safe. The console literally has no sound, but I didn't play and discs nor I do anyway since 6 years of being fully digital. My base PS4 and PS4 Pro all of them are silent, and I don't clean them at all. With PS5 I might clean it now because it's to easy using a vacuum machine.

Sadly, all PS collections I already have, so nothing new to me. Next is Bugsnax.:lollipop_crying:

Glad you got your machine and are enjoying it.

The triggers for me its not that I don't like them overall I just dont care for them in certain games and tiresome is an excellent choice of words for them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Teraflops and CU count mean nothing!

Teraflops do mean something. They just aren't the only thing.

Remember what Jason Scherier has said after Cerny’s Road to PS5?!

1D219BI.jpg

iYPjUT5.jpg

KiUjc1j.jpg

Most people will look back at Jason Schierer's journalism about the run up to these next-gen consoles with a totally different eye in a year. So far he's been SPOT ON!

I feel like I've seen so many instances in the last couple years where he just takes internet bullshit way too seriously. I don't know why he even gets so heavily involved with internet idiots in the first place.

He used to come into threads on here, see 9/10 people telling him how great a video was, and then the 1/10 internet fuckstick would get his full attention and it was like the other 9/10 comments were background noise. I feel like he could learn how to ignore the people whose only goal is to get a rise out of him.

It's the same trap that millions of others are struggling with these days........How to manage what's real and what's fake on social media. If you take it too serious, it'll drive you nuts.

oldergamer

Is this dlc?

Its a bad time to be an xbox fan, these guys cant get anything right, they try to boicot Miles Morales with the DLC narrative and now they got themselves a short length game too, lol.
Karma is indeed a bitch.
like seriously. you argue 6 - 10 hours is good, you can't turn around and argue that 8 - 10 is not. be consistent. There is no other Medium game on the market to compare it to, or addons to compare. If a Medium game was out and had 16-20 + hours of gameplay, i would say this is an addon.

LucasBR

When was the first PS4 hardware review launched? As I'm not buying the PS5 now I'd like to know if its within 6 months after the launch or so.

THEAP99

Banned
like seriously. you argue 6 - 10 hours is good, you can't turn around and argue that 8 - 10 is not. be consistent. There is no other Medium game on the market to compare it to, or addons to compare. If a Medium game was out and had 16-20 + hours of gameplay, i would say this is an addon.
? They made fun of Miles Morales for being short. So now I will make fun of their only relevant (timed) exclusive they have for god knows how long

Dibils2k

Its a bad time to be an xbox fan, these guys cant get anything right, they try to boicot Miles Morales with the DLC narrative and now they got themselves a short lenght game too, lol.
Karma is indeed a bitch.
problem here is that it works both ways, all the sony fans defending the short game will now have ago at this one :messenger_grinning_squinting:

this is why fanboyism is so hilarious to anyone thats on the outside

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I know you said you weren't into Souls type of games, but it's exactly why recommended it :p. The audio there, to me, seems exactly like what Cerny was talking about in Feb. No other game I played so far sounded like this. I could count the number of enemies off screen based on sound alone :messenger_open_mouth:

Yeah I believe so as well according to what I've read. Also seems the case with Ratchet, GT7, Returnal. Not sure about Spider-Man MM.

I finished Astro, then tried Bugsnax and nearly went to coma from boredom, then tried Genshin which is pretty nice actually. Just noticed that the salary has landed, time for a shopping spree.🥳

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Glad you got your machine and are enjoying it.

The triggers for me its not that I don't like them overall I just dont care for them in certain games and tiresome is an excellent choice of words for them.

Yeah man I was so worried I'll get whine or anything. It's literally on now while I'm on PC and it's not producing any kind of sound, and I'm not exaggerating. Overall my room is usually cool (AC on) and around 18-23C.

Tuned the adaptive triggers to medium and they are now wonderful! Gonna download Spider-Man MM and try it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom