• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mansoor1980

ConventionalLeadingCowrie-size_restricted.gif

mansoor1980 mansoor1980 's idea ;)
this is perfect. thank u sir

HoofHearted

It depends if it was his idea for Gamepass or not. I do like Phil, but he plays to the crowd and they don't bring him to task on his bullshit.

Xbox is dead (or will be as a console), long live Gamepass.

Mark my works, before PS5 is retired, Gamepass will be on Playstation. Natya said it himself, there's 3 billion gamers out there, and they will not neglect the millions of people that love to play on Nintendo and Sony platforms.

I wouldn’t necessarily say the Xbox console is “dead”. Years ago when Microsoft brought the Surface to market - many thought that it wouldn’t last. At that time the messaging from Microsoft was that they wanted to re-establish a reference design which (imho) they largely achieved. In similar fashion - I expect that Xbox console(s) would continue to be established as the “reference” design as well.

I agree with you that I wouldn’t be surprised if PS5 at some point is also on Game pass. Gaming as a service is clearly the next wave of expansion in the industry - and like with other PaaS offerings- will become a key focal point in the coming years.

The real question is - where will this all land in a few years and how will it affect the landscape of the game industry heading into the next wave of consoles?

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Says They Will Continue To Make Great Games For The PS4

”We do feel that we have a responsibility to that very large community, and an opportunity to carry on making great PS4 games for as long as the need is there. And I think that is the right thing to do, it’s the rational thing to do, and I think you will see a tail with PS4 that you did not see with PS3. But that said, as time passes, you’re going to see more and more emphasis on PS5 development and the PS5 SKU will be the lead SKU.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Jim Ryan Speaking in Japanese | PlayStation Partner Awards 2020 Japan

Even though he's reading off a script, kudos to him for trying. Cause he could've easily just spoken English with translation and people would've been ok with that.

he was pushed in fast so yea he's just learning. anyone that takes that role has to learn the Japanese language fast. they stay 3 weeks at scej and 1 at scei. its a hard timeline.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
MS really needs to get a $400 diskless edition out for XSX.

Might be afraid to have an X level machine within $100 of the S.. but at this point, the PS5 is stomping all over the XSX value if you don't need disks. (and beating it if you do need disks, although it's pretty close to a tie)

Seems like an excellent next-gen version of the game. Especially with the virtually zero load times.

PS5 takes the win on performance with locked 60fps.

Both the XSX and XSS dropping frames with the parametric camera angle is curious. Could be an issue with higher levels of geometry draw with those angles (with each crowd NPC being a geometric model instead of a flat decal like on some games). We know PS5 has higher geometry throughput as well as being more advanced with the bespoke GE.

As much as I recognize the XSS version is the Next-Gen version in 1080p, so superior to the PS4 Pro/XB1X versions in terms of pixel quality, with MS's marketing hard on for pushing resolution above all else, I find it hilarious that the XSS is 1080p when even the PS4 Pro runs at full native 4K res.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say what everyone else is thinking... the XSS is a POS and MS should have aborted the idea at the design stage.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MS really needs to get a $400 diskless edition out for XSX.

Might be afraid to have an X level machine within $100 of the S.. but at this point, the PS5 is stomping all over the XSX value if you don't need disks. (and beating it if you do need disks, although it's pretty close to a tie)
The XSX BOM is much higher. they cant just put out a $400 discless version. PS5 BOM is $450 with disc, $430 without. Thats a $30 loss on BOM alone before the retailer cut and distribution costs are factored in. XSX has a bigger GPU, way more expensive vapor chamber cooling solution and more expensive ram modules. At best, they have a BOM of $500, worst case we are looking at $520-530 like Zhuge said.

Removing $20 is not going to work and they will be taking a minimum $100 loss before retailer cut and shipping costs. You cant just make that up by having people only buy from your digital store.

I think Sony ending up at $450 despite cheaper ram modules, way cheaper heatsink solution and 20% smaller APU messed up their $399 dreams for the Physical edition, but if Sony wasnt able to meet their target, MS definitely didnt either.

Besides, the PS5 digital edition is basically just for show. Only around 10% of all consoles sold are Digital. No one seems to have an issue paying $500 for a PS5 right now. Maybe in a year when casuals start buying in and things get cheaper. But by then the ps5 will get cheaper as well.

IntentionalPun

As much as I recognize the XSS version is the Next-Gen version in 1080p, so superior to the PS4 Pro/XB1X versions in terms of pixel quality, with MS's marketing hard on for pushing resolution above all else, I find it hilarious that the XSS is 1080p when even the PS4 Pro runs at full native 4K res.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say what everyone else is thinking... the XSS is a POS and MS should have aborted the idea at the design stage.

I think the S's only chance of making a splash is at $200.

It's already attracting some Playstation gamers as a cheap Gamepass machine, $ $200 it would be a no brainer for a lot of people.

I still wish the fucking thing didn't exist, and kinda hope devs refuse to support Xbox over it.

It's already attracting some Playstation gamers as a cheap Gamepass machine, $ $200 it would be a no brainer for a lot of people.

I still wish the fucking thing didn't exist, and kinda hope devs refuse to support Xbox over it.

At $200 it would have been even weaker and even more of a burden weighing down the ambitions of game devs going into next-gen.

I wish devs could refuse to support it, but I don't see that happening.

I'm half expecting to see far more "defacto" third party exclusives for PS5, primarily because devs want to make a certain game and recognize it won't work on the XSS. Kinda similar to how many games were exclusive to the 360 early in that gen, because the devs just struggled to work with the PS3's Cell CPU.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
At $200 it would have been even weaker and even more of a burden weighing down the ambitions of game devs going into next-gen.

I wish devs could refuse to support it, but I don't see that happening.

I'm half expecting to see far more "defacto" third party exclusives for PS5, primarily because devs want to make a certain game and recognize it won't work on the XSS. Kinda similar to how many games were exclusive to the 360 early in that gen, because the devs just struggled to work with the PS3's Cell CPU.
i think the fact that even the PS4 Slim never hit $200 MSRP and only went on sale at $199 on Christmas or Black Friday shows that the days of $200 consoles on store shelves are long gone. Silicon node shrinks are making things smaller yes, but the cost savings are just not there. RAM continues to be expensive because of those damn cellphone manufacturers hogging up the ram manufacturing, and launching a discless box for price conscious consumers makes no sense as the Xbox SAD's sad sales showed.

I am curious to see how the actual next gen only PS5 games will look and play. I no longer have any concerns about the PS5 not being strong enough, and am hopeful that we see some truly next gen physics and destruction next gen. So far, the reflections in Spiderman and the destruction of wooden objects that dont disappear are rather impressive but dont change the gameplay in any meaningful way.

Last edited:

SSfox

Something to take away from all this comparisons is that Sony are kings when its comes to the quality, power and efficiently of a console hardware, the only time they got beat in that area was only when others came with new hardware months/years later, or with more expensive price, or both, but in simultaneous releases cases with same price Sony are unbeatable in that area. (except the PS3 that was a very special case, and while still tho Sony ended proving that the hardware was a beast with its 1st party games)

IntentionalPun

The XSX BOM is much higher. they cant just put out a $400 discless version. PS5 BOM is $450 with disc, $430 without. Thats a $30 loss on BOM alone before the retailer cut and distribution costs are factored in. XSX has a bigger GPU, way more expensive vapor chamber cooling solution and more expensive ram modules. At best, they have a BOM of $500, worst case we are looking at $520-530 like Zhuge said.

Removing $20 is not going to work and they will be taking a minimum $100 loss before retailer cut and shipping costs. You cant just make that up by having people only buy from your digital store.

I think Sony ending up at $450 despite cheaper ram modules, way cheaper heatsink solution and 20% smaller APU messed up their $399 dreams for the Physical edition, but if Sony wasnt able to meet their target, MS definitely didnt either.

Besides, the PS5 digital edition is basically just for show. Only around 10% of all consoles sold are Digital. No one seems to have an issue paying $500 for a PS5 right now. Maybe in a year when casuals start buying in and things get cheaper. But by then the ps5 will get cheaper as well.
Personally think people take BOM estimates way too seriously.

Tmack

Don't give me bullcrap excuses like doing a business, you could sell drugs and calling it doing business, but should we sell drugs? I'm talking about doing what's right or wrong. Obviously what this guy is doing is destroying valuable resources for some of us and should we support his channel? Nah.

Your "valuable resource" is a mass produce 500 USD piece of plastic and metal that this person bought and can do whatever he wants with it.

Were he exploding a cargo of rice in in a country facing starvation, i would agree with you. He`s not.

• LOL
Reactions: Rea

no... ms should have a fire stick equivalent for xcloud. As in, subscribe for a year and get the stick for free.

XSS has a very awkward positioning. But it’s not a bad decision. Xbox needs to try different things to compete for market share. There isn’t much for them to lose.

Dolomite

It depends if it was his idea for Gamepass or not. I do like Phil, but he plays to the crowd and they don't bring him to task on his bullshit.

Xbox is dead (or will be as a console), long live Gamepass.

Mark my works, before PS5 is retired, Gamepass will be on Playstation. Natya said it himself, there's 3 billion gamers out there, and they will not neglect the millions of people that love to play on Nintendo and Sony platforms.
Lmao y'all have to cool it with this "MS will dissolve Xbox" fantasy we've been hearing since 2013. If they can survive the world's worst launch, Don Mattrick, DRM hate, and manage to sell 30million people a Kinect they can likely afford a few poor DF comparisons and lean launch titles. Sony will either keep up by offering a comprehensive response to Gamepass, or MS will get thier shit together and pump out something undeniablly AAA From thier 15 studios. Sony doesn't want GP on the PS5 anymore than you do

Last edited:
i think the fact that even the PS4 Slim never hit $200 MSRP and only went on sale at $199 on Christmas or Black Friday shows that the age of $200 consoles on store shelves are long gone. Silicon node shrinks are making things smaller yes, but the cost savings are just not there. RAM continues to be expensive because of those damn cellphone manufacturers hogging up the ram manufacturing, and launching a discless box for price conscious consumers makes no sense as the Xbox SAD's sad sales showed.

I am curious to see how the actual next gen only PS5 games will look and play. I no longer have any concerns about the PS5 not being strong enough, and am hopeful that we see some truly next gen physics and destruction next gen. So far, the reflections in Spiderman and the destruction of wooden objects that dont disappear are rather impressive but dont change the gameplay in any meaningful way.

I agree.

One point of correction though is that mobile devices use LPDDR memory, which is a different technology and not made on the same semiconductor process as desktop/console RAM chips.

Desktop RAM is expensive because of the demand from the datacentre and crypto segments, combined with a lack of supplier investment in increasing manufacturing capacity. RAM prices had every reason to have cratered after we came down from the peak of the crypto boom. The prices re being artificially kept high by RAM suppliers, for no other reason than their own selfish preservation of their bottom line.

Lmao y'all have to cool it with this "MS will dissolve Xbox" fantasy we've been hearing since 2013. If they can survive the world's worst launch, Don Mattrick, DRM hate, and manage to sell 30million people a Kinect they can likely afford a few poor DF comparisons and lean launch titles. Sony will either keep up by offering a comprehensive response to Gamepass, or MS will get thier shit together and pump out something undeniablly AAA From thier 15 studios. Sony doesn't want GP on the PS5 anymore than you do

200.gif

Did you just say, "Sony will keep up with MS"?!?!?..... :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Have you not been paying attention at all?

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member

Well, I still think that MS is likely to abandon hardware if they don't do markedly better than this past generation. They simply cannot justify bleeding out that kind of money without ROI. But we will see. WAY too early to call that in any case. As for GamePass...that is clearly MS's focus. I have to wonder if we haven't seen the beginning of a 'Sony GamePass' type of offering with this recent PS Plus collection that's available to all PS+ subscribers. I will be curious to see if Sony even views GamePass as something that needs to be competed with. Time will tell!

Sinthor

Gold Member
i think the fact that even the PS4 Slim never hit $200 MSRP and only went on sale at $199 on Christmas or Black Friday shows that the days of $200 consoles on store shelves are long gone. Silicon node shrinks are making things smaller yes, but the cost savings are just not there. RAM continues to be expensive because of those damn cellphone manufacturers hogging up the ram manufacturing, and launching a discless box for price conscious consumers makes no sense as the Xbox SAD's sad sales showed.

I have to agree. I too think the day of a $200 console is over. Just don't see how that price point can have relevant products produced in order to meet that pricing goal. MAYBE in conjunction with something like a 5 year GamePass subscription sign up or something. But certainly not on its own.

This generation looks very promising so far and I too can't wait to see what we get in another year or so when things come out that are FULLY targeted and developed for this generation of hardware only!

IntentionalPun

Eh.. all the positive news about Xbox coming from Microsoft has a HUGE caveat to it; every time the CEO mentions Xbox and their support of gaming he brings up "one billion gamers", I think he actually said "3 billion gamers" in his last statement.

It's pretty clear the blank check they have right now is because Spencer convinced their leadership that cloud gaming was going to rocket Xbox revenue way beyond what consoles are capable of and bring as well as make MS a go-to for providing streaming hosting for other companies.

We have no idea:

- How successful cloud gaming will be
- Whether that success will even come close to matching MS's/Satya's/the rest of their board of directors expectations
- Whether that success will happen fast enough for MS's/Satay's/the rest of their board of directors expectations

And the reality is that for now there is no cloud gaming market.. so "Xbox" is it's success on consoles and PC. We've seen that early momentum can change a generation and be hard to come back from.

I don't WANT them to kill Xbox or fail at consoles.. but I think all these tech giants being bullish on cloud gaming is going to be a story 5 years from now about how it's still not gone anywhere and people sitting on MS's board are going to start asking questions. It's not about what they can or can't afford; if they spend many billions on gaming and do not reap rewards that effects investor confidence in their decisions.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Phil had to fight for it. MS was going to kill it after the disastrous xbox one launch.

Bingo! And also it could be seen in how they were getting rid of their development teams. To say that MS was not seriously considering exiting the hardware market during this past generation is simple ignorance. This is also pretty evident from the fact that even when they decided to go forward, things had been hampered to the point that we see now, where they had to introduce hardware without much in the way of dedicated games for it. It's all right there for people to see.

I'm sure as well that if THIS generation progresses in the same manner, they will go beyond considering exiting hardware and DO it. I don't want that to happen, to be clear. But I don't think MS has helped themselves either with the introduction of the Series S and some of the other moves they've made so far.

Dolomite

Well, I still think that MS is likely to abandon hardware if they don't do markedly better than this past generation. They simply cannot justify bleeding out that kind of money without ROI. But we will see. WAY too early to call that in any case. As for GamePass...that is clearly MS's focus. I have to wonder if we haven't seen the beginning of a 'Sony GamePass' type of offering with this recent PS Plus collection that's available to all PS+ subscribers. I will be curious to see if Sony even views GamePass as something that needs to be competed with. Time will tell!
They are making $$$ despite a pandemic launch and better than thier last launch, less than Sony but not failing. Hell in some areas, more than Sony. They went into this launch knowing thier position last gen, Knowing that Sony has the greater Mindshare, and market share. Do you realize how bad you have to fuck up, to really be done with hardware? The last console to get discontinued early was Sega's.......over 20 yrs ago. As it stands and for the future that MS has openly planned for, hardware( PC, Xcloud and Series consoles) is at the forefront. 15 internal studios have to make up for the software slack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom