• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ12

Why so special Jim?
At least we have something to speculate on for a few pages lol.

Controller imptivments: check
Ray tracing: check
Processor improvement: check
GPU upgrade: check
Storage improvement: check
Audio improvement: check
VR: ?
Bc: ?

Cannot think of anything else

Last edited:

xool

「でもね。PS5にはこれら以上に、従来のゲーム機とは違うユニークな要素がまだまだあります。『もっと大きな違い』については、我々はまだアナウンスしていませんからね」

“But you know. There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The ‘bigger differences’ have yet to be announced.”

This is 2015 era MS level messaging - "more to share later"

xool

At least we have something to speculate on for a few pages lol.

Controller imptivments: check
Ray tracing: check
Processor improvement: check
GPU upgrade: check
Storage improvement: check
Audio improvement: check
VR: ?
Bc: ?

Cannot think of anything else
Software and social stuff possibly .. maybe more on sharing .. (remember those sharing patents similar to Stadia's claim about sharing state - something to do with metadata iirc)

Everything Sony does points to less powerful I leaned these days :D

This is my feeling as well based on the current messaging tactics by the two companies.
I am a self-admit Playstation fanboy who will likely never get an Xbox, but this is how I feel at the moment.
It is like when a poor dude is talking to a girl he likes, he will likely only present good points outside of his wealth.
Then boom, another dude with wealth flashes his money and buys gifts for the girl.
I am just excited to see the box, although ideally the dude will be wealthy and have all the right qualities, giving me all the right emotional triggers and feels.
What am I talking about? lol

Phison at CES:

CA4Pz7LGp98iCyASmYnEbF-970-80.jpg

8TB NVMe SSD, 16TB SATA. WTF!!!

Ewww, QLC NAND :pie_smirking: . (people better understand I'm joking....partially :devilish: )

Klee said the consoles are close in power, but that could be 5% or even 25% ..

.. 20% difference is close in real world terms (11TF vs 9.2TF) - that's like a 1440p vs 1300p image - likely you wouldn't spot obvious difference is blind comparison tests.

In terms of the console warz though +20% or 11TF vs 9TF is massive ..

9.2 vs 12 is close, just not as close as some would probably want it to be.

Why is Timdog talking about himself in third person? There ain't many more people than him that make a big deal about tflops.

Stop it, everybody on here cares. The only reason why there's an attempt to downplay it as of late is because it may not go the way some want it to. Everybody on here was all over tflops back when the ps4 had the edge over the xbox one. I say now as I said then, which one is more powerful isn't as important as knowing that one isn't somehow incapable of creating amazing looking games. For the kinds of games we're expecting, it's more important now, but devs making games on ps5 will be more than well served because that's still a shit ton of power for a console even if the expected numbers turn out true.

I find it hilarious that people in a thread specifically obsessed over teraflops and other tech aspects are suddenly acting like the most important part of these new consoles is suddenly not important. CPU, awesome, ssd, incredible, faster and more ram, awesome, but drop all of that into the current gen systems minus the next gen gpu and next gen isn't next gen. The total package is important, it's a balance, but the GPU is the most important piece of these new consoles. It always is. It along with the CPU will be most responsible for what we're seeing in games over the next couple of years.

Reindeer

Stop it, everybody on here cares. The only reason why there's an attempt to downplay it as of late is because it may not go the way some want it to. Everybody on here was all over tflops back when the ps4 had the edge over the xbox one. I say now as I said then, which one is more powerful isn't as important as knowing that one isn't somehow incapable of creating amazing looking games. For the kinds of games we're expecting, it's more important now, but devs making games on ps5 will be more than well served because that's still a shit ton of power for a console even if the expected numbers turn out true.

I find it hilarious that people in a thread specifically obsessed over teraflops and other tech aspects are suddenly acting like the most important part of these new consoles is suddenly not important. CPU, awesome, ssd, incredible, faster and more ram, awesome, but drop all of that into the current gen systems minus the next gen gpu and next gen isn't next gen. The total package is important, it's a balance, but the GPU is the most important piece of these new consoles. It always is. It along with the CPU will be most responsible for what we're seeing in games over the next couple of years.
You didn't even get what I was saying, but I'm not surprised.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
People always cared about power secondarily. The PS2 and PS1 weren't the most powerful and they did just fine. The only reason everyone kept bringing it up with PS4 and X1 is because people kept arguing it with cloud and esram and all that. It's kinda like how people don't argue as much whether the clone wars movie is great as they do over whether last jedi is great. We all just accepted one as shitty and don't argue it while the other people will never stop fighting over. Except this is more raw numbers than interpretation of film so it should have been settled long before we started seeing 720p vs 900p games.

People always cared about power secondarily. The PS2 and PS1 weren't the most powerful and they did just fine.

PS1 launched two years before the N64. PS2 launched a year and a half before the Xbox & Gamecube. 1-2 years is almost an enternity in technology

Here is an article from the NY Times about the PS2 back in '99 and Phil Harrison hyping up the emotion engine.

Sony executives said they intended the name Emotion Engine to convey the hope that game developers would use the chip's power to create virtual worlds rich in subtlety and nuance.

"We're hoping that you will go beyond driving and shooting and killing people," Phil Harrison, a vice president at Sony Computer Entertainment, told the developers. "We are looking for a new generation of software that has the same impact on a person as a great book or a great movie."

Playstation was always branded in power. The only console they launched that wasn't definitive in power was the PS3, but to this day people give it the edge over the 360 due to the Cell.

CJY

Banned
It is part of it... I edited this photo myself in lightroom and pumped up the exposure. The ram is there, you just cant see it unless you pump the brightness way up. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.
oh sorry, I actually did try it, but just in windows photos app and saw nothing strangely. Thanks for the heads up.

gonna give it a try in lightroom on mac later

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Updated leak tracker.

If anyone else has claims they remember (and from who), please share. Anyone know who said the +/- 10% claim?

Guy who leaked Oberon specs (from around spring 2019): 9.2TF

Klee: More than 10TF, PS5 > XSX by 5% (none over 11TF). Then claimed XSX is slightly more than 12TF at “bingo” 12.1TF. Lockhart model cancelled

Osiris: More than 10TF. PS5 > XSX. 11.6 and 12.4. Since PS5 is better, then PS5 is 12.4TF and XSX at 11.6TF

Matt from Reeee (Matt the moderator): XSX > PS5

Jason Schreier: Aiming for 10.7TF+. Both similar

Tim Dog: ???. But seems confident XSX > PS5

Un-named journalist: 13TF devkit

“Unknown” pastebinner: PS5 has double gpus for 14.2TF. 😉

Last edited:

demigod

Updated leak tracker.

If anyone else has claims they remember (and from who), please share. Anyone know who said the +/- 10% claim?

Klee: More than 10TF, PS5 > XSX by 5% (none over 11TF). Then claimed XSX is slightly more than 12TF at “bingo” 12.1TF. Lockhart model cancelled

Osiris: More than 10TF. PS5 > XSX. 11.6 and 12.4. Since PS5 is better, then PS5 is 12.4TF and XSX at 11.6TF

Pretty sure the bingo was something else and not 12.1. But he did say xsx is 12tf.

This is my feeling as well based on the current messaging tactics by the two companies.
I am a self-admit Playstation fanboy who will likely never get an Xbox, but this is how I feel at the moment.
It is like when a poor dude is talking to a girl he likes, he will likely only present good points outside of his wealth.
Then boom, another dude with wealth flashes his money and buys gifts for the girl.
I am just excited to see the box, although ideally the dude will be wealthy and have all the right qualities, giving me all the right emotional triggers and feels.
What am I talking about? lol

I know the feeling man, except I would just get both consoles sadly

44alltheway

Looks like we have hit a dry spell for leaks. It felt like since TGA there was a constant flow of stuff coming out, whether it was true or not. I guess we were due for this. Probably will pick up end of January/beginning of February.

Updated leak tracker.

The <10% claim was from klee. He said difference between sex and PS5 wasn't double digit and everybody interpreted it as <10%.
Also even though klee said PS5>SeX and Matt said he would guess SeX>PS5, klee said he didn't disagree with Matt. So I interpret that as both consoles being really close and Matt and Klee expecting Microsoft to beat Sony in teraflops before launch.

I also think that's one of the reasons why David Prien doesn't share specs with anybody yet. Because they are not final.

Last edited:

MaulerX

He requested it because he couldnt handle people constantly asking questions about the information he had but wouldn't share

In all fairness he kept doubling and tripling down on the same info he got six months ago. You can't do that and expect not to be questioned about it. At some point, if you're going to continue with the same rhetoric, then you need to start showing the goods. Which he refused to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom