• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear diary,

l8aSwwj.gif

OsirisBlack

Banned
Game 000000 O. “Newer tools are much more refined for Sony’s machine. XseX is slightly ahead in Spec on new gdk.” They do not have final PSV Development kit and the person I know that has access to it won’t talk about it. Asked about numbers “12.2/12.4 not exactly numbers that is how minimal the difference is.” As far as the game, I’ll write up what I just saw and talked about when I’m not on my phone.

M-V2

Game 000000 O. “Newer tools are much more refined for Sony’s machine. XseX is slightly ahead in Spec on new gdk.” They do not have final PSV Development kit and the person I know that has access to it won’t talk about it. Asked about numbers “12.2/12.4 not exactly numbers that is how minimal the difference is.” As far as the game, I’ll write up what I just saw and talked about when I’m not on my phone.
Then what's the minimal TF differences in your opinion??

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

So Xbox is ahead again in spec...? But it still doesn’t matter as they are really close? Man I can’t keep up.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Thank you for this and look forward to your write up.

12.2 to 12.4 that is super close to each other

So Xbox is ahead again in spec...? But it still doesn’t matter as they are really close? Man I can’t keep up.

Again? ;)

Last edited:

Gudji

That's what he wrote. New xbox sdk is slightly ahead in power, very small difference, should't be more than a a few MHz, which if true is literally nothing. lmao

ANIMAL1975

Same devs you talked before or new source? And is it the series X devkit final already?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Let me hurt some people here, does a 9TF machine could do 4k@120-240fps with RT enabled?? 👀
xzZyhdM.jpg

IIRC Polyphony showed off 240 fps running on four PS3 combined at Full HD. So they would need the power of 16 PS3 in a console to run 4K/240 at GT5 graphics. PS3 was around 400 Gigaflops (just GPU), so a 6.4 TF machine should be able to do that. Not with raytracing enabled, though. And not with GTS graphics.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
That's what he wrote. New xbox sdk is slightly ahead in power, very small difference, should't be more than a a few MHz, which if true is literally nothing. lmao

Then that’s exactly what he said lol. They are pretty much on par apart from a tiny difference, but the sx is ahead that tiny difference.

But the difference is next to nothing.

Good stuff to my ears, regardless of who has that tiny insignificant performance edge.

But of course, neither platforms have finaL dev kits out. But I can’t see it changing much anyway.

So as far as I’m concerned, it’s all gravy. Both machines are high spec and both are on par.

Perfect.

M-V2

IIRC Polyphony showed off 240 fps running on four PS3 combined at Full HD. So they would need the power of 16 PS3 in a console to run 4K/240 at GT5 graphics. PS3 was around 400 Gigaflops (just GPU), so a 6.4 TF machine should be able to do that. Not with raytracing enabled, though. And not with GTS graphics.
🤦

DaGwaphics

A new leak. That should spice things up.

Anything can happen, just a sign that no one should be cocky at this point.

Hopefully things start to light up soon.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Less than 2% difference is just perfect, no matter which one has the edge. Hyping up here.

Gudji

With no final psv gdk so we don't know what's going to happen. The info to take out of this is onceeeee againnnn double digit consoles and ppl with the github stance are going to look like 🤡

Well yeah but if what osiris is saying is true, even if it's not the final devkit it will be an insignificant difference. It's just for bragging rights and the best case scenario for everyone (except tim dog).
Even 1 TF difference would be meaningless but whatever.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Didn't his source say they don't have PS5 new devkit? As far as he said, latest SX devkit > PS5 last devkit

To be honest I doubt anybody has final devkits, even now. But it’s been a clear fact with pretty much every leak so far that the PS5 kits that ARE out there are far ahead of Xbox and they are behind schedule there. So that makes sense.

I mean, this would be exactly what I would like in an ideal situation. Console A is console B, minus the most stupid little bit of nothing nobody will ever see. I couldn’t ask for me.

Of course there is plenty of time for MS to put their foot in it yet, as usual 🤣

Gamernyc78

Banned
What HeisenbergFX4 just hinted at is that Xbox has been ahead all the time.

And? There's no proof on that. They are so close tht flip flop could have happened several times during testing of multiple dev kits and will happen again. As stated "not final psv gdk"

I don't get how someone can make tht determination when dev kits are being tested and power wise both are so close.

In the end it's looking like thy are very close, as a matter fact it just seems as factual at this point and ppl should be happy. And second thing to take away ps5 features are more refined and tht once again alludes to the better SSD and RT solutions on PS5.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What HeisenbergFX4 just hinted at is that Xbox has been ahead all the time.

I was hinting that when the consoles launch the XsX would be more powerful and have stayed the course.

People under estimate the leaks of a month or two ago where numbers were at that time how much more mature the PS5 DKs were compared to XsX.

Just using examples here.

I don't put much stock into DK2 PS5 being strong then DK1 XsX

darkinstinct

Wasn't there talk a week or two ago that XSX devkits aren't supposed to arrive at third parties until April? And why does your source just ten days ago not want to talk to you again about numbers, but now he does?

when pressed about the old numbers still being correct 11.6 and 12.4 response I got was.”Not going to do that to youagain, some tweaks same ballpark, same advantages and disadvantages.”

I'd also be very surprised if final devkits come out before June. Way too early.

Neo Blaster

I mean, this would be exactly what I would like in an ideal situation. Console A is console B, minus the most stupid little bit of nothing nobody will ever see. I couldn’t ask for me.

Me too, so much time wasted on resolutiongate. Of course, there will still be those who will brag about 1 fps and a blade of grass difference on that absurdly boring DF comparison. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

M-V2

People who want to either console to be less powerful are 1 of 2 or both.

1- Their prefred console sucks & has nothing to brag about but power, so they need that advantage to brag about it.

2- people who want to spend their whole time on digital foundry videos to zoom in 400x to see the differences to make themselves feel better & justify their purchase.

Both consoles being on par is good for EVERYONE.

I was hinting that when the consoles launch the XsX would be more powerful and have stayed the course.

People under estimate the leaks of a month or two ago where numbers were at that time how much more mature the PS5 DKs were compared to XsX.

Because of my English I think I don't understand you well 😂, the numbers of a month or two ago do you mean the 9 Tflops of PS5? is that so many numbers have come out that this is already crazy 😂. Thank you

OsirisBlack

Banned

This I have no idea about. The person I told you about privately won’t say anything one way or the other.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

So it was the other way around, PS5 11.6 and XSX 12.4 then PS5 closed the gap to 12.2 vs 12.4? I like this fight, let them push to the limits!

OsirisBlack

Banned
Wasn't there talk a week or two ago that XSX devkits aren't supposed to arrive at third parties until April? And why does your source just ten days ago not want to talk to you again about numbers, but now he does?

when pressed about the old numbers still being correct 11.6 and 12.4 response I got was.”Not going to do that to youagain, some tweaks same ballpark, same advantages and disadvantages.”

I'd also be very surprised if final devkits come out before June. Way too early.

he didn’t give me any numbers read the post more clearly. “Not exact numbers” he was stating how minimal the difference is .

darkinstinct

Why? That was Osiris information too, don't you remember? At least up until now.
You have to change your story at one point to fit more with reality. :) I fully expect Osiris' source to widen the gap in the future. Those pesky production issues, had to dial back to 11 TF. Oh, that raytracing hardware eats into TF, now it's at 10. Damn, 3D Audio calculations were included in the total number, the GPU alone is actually at 9.2 TF. "Sorry guys, I just reported what I was told. Don't kill me." It's very transparent what he is doing.

sinnergy

See ...
But doesn’t matter Series X has the thermal room to overclock 50 MHz on the GPU, easy with 56 CU, and the tower design, that’s 0.5 TF, they will be always ahead.

even a CPU OVERCLOCK is in the picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom