• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

efUePW6XyJJvvUwqUtCidL-650-80.jpg

This says x2 :messenger_weary: am I looking at the wrong thing?

Looks like 2 lanes to me even for the internal SSD.

I hadn’t noticed before but the external SSD from seagate is also 2 lane ...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Seaga...SD-module-for-the-Xbox-Series-X.482669.0.html

Dodkrake

Banned
So, APU is around the same size as in X1X, but it will be more expensive. Oh, boy
u6DpdwnZaBFNAYjjjMijVN-650-80.jpg

499$ is minimum

Seems like Sonys and AMDs approach of stackable chiplets with 36/40CUs is the correct one. Fewer CUs = lower cost. Since RDNA 2 allows for absurdly high clocks, you can then compensate the fewer CUs high higher clocks. Some things you loose, like shader units, but some you win, like faster resterizarion, etc. It's a trade off. But MSs approach seems interesting nonetheless.

kyliethicc

One thing that’s impressive to me about Series X is, that thing can output 8K video at 60 Hz with FRL HDR10 4:4:4 10 bit RGB (using DSC). That’s fucking crazy that a game console can output that level of video.

Seems like overkill, (but really cool,) but because it’s so strong, now there’s no way we get a “pro” or “x” mid gen upgrade this time. This is like if the Xbox One back in 2013 had launched with the Xbox One X‘s video output capabilities.

no. and in fact your late edit answered my question

so am I correct? I bet I am. halo 5 has a really high ceiling on gameplay. I'm pretty sure you got eaten alive until you couldn't handle it and rage quitted and deleted the game:messenger_beaming:
I know so many such stories, and the time you say you spent looks like proof :messenger_beaming:
BUT, high ceiling is only good news for those who play halo.

maybe if you have time and appetite, you should re-install and try -with patience- then you will discover what is special about it.

I didn't play the multiplayer. I'm more into single player games.

I just finished Doom and Doom eternal on Ultra Violence and I got the platinum in Bloodborne plus I play alot of From Software games even NiOh.

So I'm used to difficult games.

There really wasn't a need for you to be disrespectful.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

kyliethicc

So 4 for the internal SSD and 4 for the external. 2x PCI Gen 4.

8LILy96.gif

See that’s what I thought it would be too. 4 lanes for each drive. And they do list 8 lanes connecting to their I/O hub on the system slide. But then in that other slide on I/O, they list each drive as 2x. That only means 2 lanes each, I think.

4 lanes of PCIe Gen 4 can hit 7-8 GB/s raw, so Micrsoft doesn’t need that much bandwidth. Sony does.
2 lanes can deliver 3-4 GB/s raw, so that would be enough for the XSX SSD.

OMFG

I meant Elden Ring.

118394_200w.jpg

Eldritch Moon is a set from Magic the Gathering. No idea how it popped in my head.

I'm gonna be honest here and say I'm quite disappointed it was just a confusion in the name... Eldritch Moon is metal as fuck, made me wish it was a real game on name alone :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sounds like the subtitle for a Bloodbourne sequel lol

I didn't play the multiplayer. I'm more into single player games.

I just finished Doom and Doom eternal on Ultra Violence and I got the platinum in Bloodborne plus I play alot of From Software games even NiOh.

So I'm used to difficult games.

There really wasn't a need for you to be disrespectful.
I wasn't disrespectful though. I am sorry if you perceived it that way. the "getting your ass served until rage quit" is the constant truth about halo arena for new players.
and its ok to play single player games. its just that this is not where the meat and bones of halo is.

Last edited:
See that’s what I thought it would be too. 4 lanes for each drive. And they do list 8 lanes connecting to their I/O hub on the system slide. But then in that other slide on I/O, they list each drive as 2x. That only means 2 lanes each, I think.

4 lanes of PCIe Gen 4 can hit 7-8 GB/s raw, so Micrsoft doesn’t need that much bandwidth. Sony does.
2 lanes can deliver 3-4 GB/s raw, so that would be enough for the XSX SSD.

Makes sense because if Sony went with two lanes it would be a severe bottleneck.

icerock

Seems like Sonys and AMDs approach of stackable chiplets with 36/40CUs is the correct one. Fewer CUs = lower cost. Since RDNA 2 allows for absurdly high clocks, you can then compensate the fewer CUs high higher clocks. Some things you loose, like shader units, but some you win, like faster resterizarion, etc. It's a trade off. But MSs approach seems interesting nonetheless.

PS5 SoC is monolithic, not chiplet. And yes fewer CUs mean lower cost.

Some basic math, Series X SoC is 360.4mm2. 47.5% of that space is being taken by GPU alone i.e. 171.19mm2. Series X has 56CUs, PS5 has 40CUs. Keeping in mind density scaling, PS5 SoC should be ~28% smaller. Assuming, the extra I/O customization takes up additional space on the die by another 10-15mm2. We are looking at an APU the size of ~280-285mm2.

I wasn't disrespectful though. I am sorry if you perceived it that way.
and its ok to play single player games. its just that this is not where the meat and bones of halo is.

To be fair I'm anti social so I tend not to get into multiplayer that much. It's why single player games are so important to me. After 3 years I can pretty much tell if I'm going to enjoy the single player or not.

Halo 5s single player campaign was extremely lacking when compared to something like Doom for example.

The way I read your comment was " ha ha you whiny bitch you couldn't handle the game you suck".

Dodkrake

Banned

Some basic math, Series X SoC is 360.4mm2. 47.5% of that space is being taken by GPU alone i.e. 171.19mm2. Series X has 56CUs, PS5 has 40CUs. Keeping in mind density scaling, PS5 SoC should be ~28% smaller. Assuming, the extra I/O customization takes up additional space on the die by another 10-15mm2. We are looking at an APU the size of ~280-285mm2.

Just a thing, I said stackable, not stacked. AMDs stacked chips are 2x40. Sony's is 40 and we could arguably see an 80cu (8 CUs disabled) design in a few years.

To be fair I'm anti social so I tend not to get into multiplayer that much. It's why single player games are so important to me. After 3 years I can pretty much tell if I'm going to enjoy the single player or not.

Halo 5s single player campaign was extremely lacking when compared to something like Doom for example.

The way I read your comment was " ha ha you whiny bitch you couldn't handle the game you suck".
that's funny because you dont seem antisocial.
as I wrote above, the "getting your ass served until rage quit" is the constant truth about halo arena for new players. I wrote also that this is a very common story for new players that end up unistalling the game :messenger_beaming:
even a regular halo player that hasn't played for a couple of months will probably get his ass served until getting back up to shape.
so, absolutely nothing personal, and I fully respect your single-player skills master cornholio :messenger_beaming::messenger_sunglasses:(y)

ps. maybe try at least halo 5 warzone? you dont have to speak to absolutely anyone there :]

Last edited:

ToadMan

There's four isn't there? In two groups of two for the external but four together for internal.

8LILy96.gif

1XLKZkf.gif

Just based on that hot chips slide - x2 PCIe Gen4 for internal SSD.

Just reading that cold I’d say that’s 2 lanes for the internal SSD.

Looking back MS never really specced their SSD anywhere - the only references I can see to x4 lanes were 3rd party sites. Maybe the x4 lanes was an assumption based on what a standard quality SSD would use.

kyliethicc

Couple things though, we don’t know if XSX and PS5 CUs are the same size, and we don’t know if PS5 has 40 CUs. We know it has 36 active and the tempest engine was made from 1 or 2 CUs, plus however many are disabled. There’s a chance PS5 has 44 CUs total. Plus, if one has larger CUs, that could affect die size as well.

that's funny because you dont seem antisocial.
as I wrote above, the "getting your ass served until rage quit" is the constant truth about halo arena for new players. I wrote also that this is a very common story for new players that end up unistalling the game :messenger_beaming:
even a regular halo player that hasn't played for a couple of months will probably get his ass served until getting back up to shape.
so, absolutely nothing personal, and I fully respect your single-player skills master cornholio :messenger_beaming::messenger_sunglasses:(y)

What I mean by anti social is I try to stay away from people. I don't go to parties and I don't hang out with others. After work I just go straight home and I don't interact with people.

The internet is a different thing since it's not a direct interaction with people. I don't have a problem talking to someone over the phone but put that person in front of me and it's a different story.

splattered

Even though i have a family and lots of friends i'm very anti social myself... yet i spend more time playing MP games than anything else lately. Maybe it gives me the social outlet online that i don't want in person? I dunno.

One of my best friends is also anti social yet he won't touch a MP for anything and wishes they would die out completely.

Different strokes for different folks i guess, nothing wrong with preferring one thing or the other. 👍

Stuart360

You dont have to be social to play multiplayer. I dont even use a headset, and turn voice chat off when i play lol, unless i'm playing with a friend. In fact i'd bet most people play MP like that, when not playing with friends.

Last edited:
Even though i have a family and lots of friends i'm very anti social myself... yet i spend more time playing MP games than anything else lately. Maybe it gives me the social outlet online that i don't want in person? I dunno.

One of my best friends is also anti social yet he won't touch a MP for anything and wishes they would die out completely.

Different strokes for different folks i guess, nothing wrong with preferring one thing or the other. 👍

Don't get me wrong I don't want multiplayer games to die. I just want to be able to enjoy my single Player experiences.

What I mean by anti social is I try to stay away from people. I don't go to parties and I don't hang out with others. After work I just go straight home and I don't interact with people.

The internet is a different thing since it's not a direct interaction with people. I don't have a problem talking to someone over the phone but put that person in front of me and it's a different story.
well, that's not a bad habit at all for 2020, the covid year. there are multiplayer games though that offer the higher, more unpredictable challenge of playing with/against other human beings, that dont really require for you to talk/co-operate with others too much
just my 2c's

Dodkrake

Banned
Couple things though, we don’t know if XSX and PS5 CUs are the same size, and we don’t know if PS5 has 40 CUs. We know it has 36 active and the tempest engine was made from 1 or 2 CUs, plus however many are disabled. There’s a chance PS5 has 44 CUs total. Plus, if one has larger CUs, that could affect die size as well.

Not this again. The tempest engine is a co-processor based on a CU, it's not a CU. The ps5 is very likely to have 40CUs with 4 disabled based on the actual active CU count (36).

icerock

Why wouldn't they be same size? They are all RDNA2 CUs. It's fair to assume the PS5 will have 40CUs in total, turning off 4CUs is enough for healthy yields. Spending more on die by adding more CUs which you'll end up disabling anyway doesn't make a lot of sense.

On Tempest Engine, it's likely a separate thing on the SoC. In RDNA architecture, you disable 1WGP (Work Group Processor) at a time which houses 2CUs. And since there are 2 Shader Engines, you have to disable 2WGPs, one on each SE, which means 4CUs in total. Tempest will be separated from it, because during fabrication there's no way of knowing which one of these CUs wouldn't function. If it were part of the makeup of core 40CUs, there is a possibility the modified CU which works like SPU aka Tempest Engine would not function which would mean the whole chip is useless even if rest of 39CUs are active. Again, this wouldn't work given the makeup of RDNA as I mentioned above, you have to disable WGP in each SE.

kyliethicc

Why wouldn't they be same size? They are all RDNA2 CUs. It's fair to assume the PS5 will have 40CUs in total, turning off 4CUs is enough for healthy yields. Spending more on die by adding more CUs which you'll end up disabling anyway doesn't make a lot of sense.

On Tempest Engine, it's likely a separate thing on the SoC. In RDNA architecture, you disable 1WGP (Work Group Processor) at a time which houses 2CUs. And since there are 2 Shader Engines, you have to disable 2WGPs, one on each SE, which means 4CUs in total. Tempest will be separated from it, because during fabrication there's no way of knowing which one of these CUs wouldn't function. If it were part of the makeup of core 40CUs, there is a possibility the modified CU which works like SPU aka Tempest Engine would not function which would mean the whole chip is useless even if rest of 39CUs are active. Again, this wouldn't work given the makeup of RDNA as I mentioned above, you have to disable WGP in each SE.
Yeah but Sony and Microsoft could customize their CUs, it’s possible. They might not be the exact same size, but might be. Until we see the PS5 SOC, we can’t really know how big it is. My point was just that the Tempest Engine will add to the overall die size.

BGs

Industry Professional
And yeah sorry didn't get to line up our schedules this past weekend to play with the Bird.

We have spoken just rumors he does seem to think we get "something" near the end of this month.

I havent followed up with him though still kind of unplugged for a bit checked in and saw @Bo_Hazem had returned and that was post worthy to me :)

Next week?

Edit. Sorry guys, my phone hate me and lost an interrogation "?".

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
No. Is a mistake. I'm not sure. I think between 25-27 but really I don't know.

It was at the end of the month, I expected this week, but since I'm not sure, that's why I ask him if it will be next week.

The same week as ONL?.. or.. As part of ONL? Hmmm.. I didn't expect that. I figured.. somewhere in September... maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom