• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING ME RN, I CAN’T BELIEVE I’M LITERALLY LOSING MY MIND OVER THIS SHIT.

A6C807DF483521DDDB462DAD2D91C99FF6956FDA

Geoff knew right away that wasn't a real PS5, wonder if he knows some more...

onQ123

You can say Thunderbolt then, and the need to license it from Apple. Not sure if that's good enough, a chiplet or stacked would be better in terms of latency.

Unless it's USB4

Putting Thunderbolt into USB 4
So to make things simpler Intel announced that it has contributed its work on Thunderbolt to the USB Promoter Group - the industry body that decides what the USB standard should mean.

That means Thunderbolt will basically underpin USB 4.0, so all USB 4.0 devices and ports will be automatically compatible with Thunderbolt devices for super-fast data transfer as well as device charging and display across a single cable as now.

Device makers will be able to make Thunderbolt devices without paying royalties to Intel, which should make adoption easy.

Intel is also integrating Thunderbolt 3 into Intel CPUs now, beginning with Intel's latest 10th generation Core processors.

schaft0620

LTTP: A fucking cake? I left band practice early for a fucking cake. Figures.

I'm working on a review under embargo
45 minutes into Madden (fuck Madden)
I'm like 5 hours into Avengers
Tony Hawk tomorrow
NBA 2K21 tomorrow
Two birthday parties this weekend
And I just spent two hours waiting for PS5 news so I can try to make up for all of the content creation I'm loosing by not being at E3/TGS/Gamescom.

2020 has been a never-ending series of minor inconveniences but I'm thankful its just that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Unless it's USB4

Putting Thunderbolt into USB 4
So to make things simpler Intel announced that it has contributed its work on Thunderbolt to the USB Promoter Group - the industry body that decides what the USB standard should mean.

That means Thunderbolt will basically underpin USB 4.0, so all USB 4.0 devices and ports will be automatically compatible with Thunderbolt devices for super-fast data transfer as well as device charging and display across a single cable as now.

Device makers will be able to make Thunderbolt devices without paying royalties to Intel, which should make adoption easy.

Intel is also integrating Thunderbolt 3 into Intel CPUs now, beginning with Intel's latest 10th generation Core processors.

Yup, but it's not out yet, I know about it. Can't see Sony having a prerelease version.:messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I'm working on a review under embargo
45 minutes into Madden (fuck Madden)
I'm like 5 hours into Avengers
Tony Hawk tomorrow
NBA 2K21 tomorrow
Two birthday parties this weekend
And I just spent two hours waiting for PS5 news so I can try to make up for all of the content creation I'm loosing by not being at E3/TGS/Gamescom.

2020 has been a never-ending series of minor inconveniences but I'm thankful its just that.
2020......it's a bitch. Way to stay positive though! We like to bitch about what's wrong and not appreciate what's right.

kyliethicc

do you agree with coreteks that ps5/xsex due to efficiency will perform like a rtx 3070? if so that pretty impressive!

I dont know how they will stack up
The new consoles will likely be around the RTX 3060 initially, which will be around $350.

That will be Nvidia's GPU offering for people with PCs currently who want to spend around $500 to upgrade their PCs to match the new consoles. $350 for the new GPU and then around $150-200 for other upgrades will be what many PC gamers will do, instead of just buying a new $500 console.

That's why the 3070 = 2080 Ti but only for $500 was a big deal for PC gamers. It shows how great a value the 3060 will be.

Maybe in some games by the end of the gen consoles will over perform because devs will have had years for optimization (like how TLOU2 runs on a base PS4.)

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The new consoles will likely be around the RTX 3060 initially, which will be around $350.

That will be Nvidia's GPU offering for people with PCs currently who want to spend around $500 to upgrade their PCs to match the new consoles. $350 for the new GPU and then around $150-200 for other upgrades will be what many PC gamers will do, instead of just buying a new $500 console.

That's why the 3070 = 2080 Ti but only for $500 was a big deal for PC gamers. It shows how great a value the 3060 will be.

Maybe in some games by the end of the gen consoles will over perform because devs will have had years for optimization (like how TLOU2 runs on a base PS4.)

Yeah I have no idea (my new standard answer btw)

;)

aclar00

The PS5 USB-C port could be anywhere from 5 to 20 Gbps. My guess is 10 Gbps.

Why even use C? Not complaining, actually always wondered why computets and other devives havent completely gotten rid of A to reduce space. Outside of the space saving is there a benefit?

Hope they include a C to C cable

kyliethicc

Why even use C? Not complaining, actually always wondered why computets and other devives havent completely gotten rid of A to reduce space. Outside of the space saving is there a benefit?

Hope they include a C to C cable
C is just the future and a way better connector. Pretty sure there is some stuff Type-C can do that USB-A cannot.

I hope its C to C cable included too. Just that alone is a huge quality of lofe improvement, reversible connectors on both ends of the cable for charging the controller.

Might also have some benefits for a future PSVR 2 headset that needs a 10 or 20 Gbps USB-C port. Idk.

Last edited:
Well, she's an internet tough girl 😁

We jest but she and the few others that still hang around on Gaf after the split; not caving to peer pressure, says a lot. As does ignoring the alt-boys occasional teenage-like outburst with the usual nonsense generalizing females in the industry as all being diversity hires and the usual diatribe.

BGs

Industry Professional
Don't blame HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 . Technically the announcement of the "event" could be today Friday (without specifying time zone). That does not mean that it necessarily has to be the announcement of the "event" today. What should be certain is that the "event" should be before the end of next week. And at the moment I do not know that they have postponed it (that they could do it, but it would be illogical, for one thing in particular, although this parenthesis is only my opinion). MS is waiting to see what price PS5 sells for. And Sony is in no rush or need to show it off.

-Arcadia-

Banned
We jest but she and the few others that still hang around on Gaf after the split; not caving to peer pressure, says a lot. As does ignoring the alt-boys occasional teenage-like outburst with the usual nonsense generalizing females in the industry as all being diversity hires and the usual diatribe.

I super-appreciate the kind words, but I’d like to think I’m not special for that. In reality, people say a lot of stuff, some of it is right, some of it is wrong, and I think it’s in everyone’s best interest not to get too worked up about it.

I was here when people like Devolution would throw tantrums and fits, and threaten to quit, just because a few users didn’t say the things they wanted, and consequently get mods to reshape the entire board for the worst, chipping away at everyone’s fun. I onboarded that, and vowed to never do that. If I get mad at something, I will fight my own battle, not cry-bully.

We really have something wonderful here, and it’s my privilege to be part of it, rather than the other way around.

Plus. I regularly say the most offensive things on Gaf, so, I need to be able to take what I deal out, hahaha.

Last edited:
Don't blame HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 . Technically the announcement of the "event" could be today Friday (without specifying time zone). That does not mean that it necessarily has to be the announcement of the "event" today. What should be certain is that the "event" should be before the end of next week. And at the moment I do not know that they have postponed it (that they could do it, but it would be illogical, for one thing in particular, although this parenthesis is only my opinion). MS is waiting to see what price PS5 sells for. And Sony is in no rush or need to show it off.
JSsOAfl_d.webp

And remain indoors :p

I super-appreciate the kind words, but I’d like to think I’m not special for that. In reality, people say a lot of stuff, some of it is right, some of it is wrong, and I think it’s in everyone’s best interest not to get too worked up about it.

Well you're right. A lot of thick skin girl's out there. Just saying... we can tell from the lot based on the environment alone.

BGs

Industry Professional
Have you also heard that from your sources?
I don't know what sources HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has but my pigeons (Developers of second party studios in this case) say similar things. Obviously those pigeons are not Sony, therefore the information is not absolutely solid.

But I do not consider that it is smart to attack those who try to bring information with good intentions even if in the end it may be imprecise (since in life there are many types of information, in good faith and / or in bad faith, but you do not have to forget that There are also unforeseen events that make you change your plans, especially in the current world situation). Without those people the wait would be more tedious and more inaccurate, I guarantee it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom