• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People expecting a "sony answer" are gonna be disappointed. PS5 has an extremely solid first year and PS4 ended with some of the biggests games of the gen... They gonna keep it that way

Well, Sony did say they were looking to acquire new studios for awhile now.

Jim Ryan, President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, revealed in July 2019 his intentions to purchase more development studios. It was shortly after that the company confirmed the acquisition of Insomniac Games.

According to the report, “Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to invest in, or acquire, firms with abundant creativity and cutting-edge technologies to build up Worldwide Studios, an association of first-party title production studios.”

Before Tencent acquired the studio.

Sony Corp. is weighing a bid for Leyou Technologies Holdings Ltd., people familiar with the matter said, paving the way for an intensified bidding war for the Hong Kong-listed gaming firm.

There's no doubt that Sony is still actively looking for studios.

The question is which studio they acquire and when.

People expecting a "sony answer" are gonna be disappointed. PS5 has an extremely solid first year and PS4 ended with some of the biggests games of the gen... They gonna keep it that way
Sony's answer is to continue doing what they are doing.
Microsoft will have to let Bethesda games multiplat for many years to return their investment. Otherwise, they will have to trim the fat, and in this case they get no benefit other than killing them.

TheAssist

Now I wonder. If MS tries to get rid of the hardware business (its really not part of their core expertise) while Sony wants to hold on to theirs (still making phones and TV among other things) will Sony use their Service to sell hardware along the line. So MS tries to bring gamepass to everything to make more money with it, while Sony might want to use their gaming, movie and music services to sell their hardware. Buy a Bravia and get 3 years of Sony Music, Playstation now and a library of their movies? That sounds more like Sony to me.

One tries to get rid of the the hardware to sell more services the other one uses services to sell more hardware (TV and phone business is very competitive, but I dont see Samsung or LG offering anything similar, unless they integrate gamepass and other things. I think they already do so with spotify).

TheAssist

Duuuude
You start with <<IGN IS DUMB>>
And finish with <<You will see bethesda game not only on playstation but everywhere>>
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I didnt have the time to watch the video, but the title states they deny PS doom, etc. I say they wont. They bring it to everyone. I dont see your point unless IGN says the exact same thing in the video, in which case their title is stupid and misleading clickbait. So typical IGN

They definitely should be doing that, the future is looking more and more like consolidation and anything not grabbed might end up on a competitor's exclusive portfolio. It's kind of unfortunate, but it seems more like the end of 3rd party AAA is coming.
The problem is that spending that much will not really benefit Sony. If the big publisher doesn't do well, then that will stress them financially and shareholders will ask to cut them down. Same for Microsoft, don't expect Bethesda acquisition to be a honeymoon. By buying them, they need to prepare for a hard work.

HAL-01

Shitty amazon is shitty

B0VfjZt.png

Neo Blaster

No point in buying these unless they are exclusive to push gamepass and series consoles. Sony spent a lot of money on spiderman but that is never going to Microsoft and probably PC. Minecraft was long ago and more a service game. The stages of grief suck.
The premise of having these games on the service at no extra cost for subscribers is already pushing Gamepass and consoles, man. Exclusivity on such known franchises will just make MS loose money and make it harder to recoup those billions.

And dude, the way you write makes you look like you've already gone through stages of grief...many times.

I didnt have the time to watch the video, but the title states they deny PS doom, etc. I say they wont. They bring it to everyone. I dont see your point unless IGN says the exact same thing in the video, in which case their title is stupid and misleading clickbait. So typical IGN
Well...
To help you in your thinking,
If you like bethesda games,
if you want bethesda games,
you should be at a store right now
fighting for that preorder

Look at the launch line-ups people. Sony's is arguably their strongest launch line-up ever (with Demon's Souls and Spiderman:MM) whereas Xbox's looks like their objectively worst. With pre-orders open today where is the confirmation of that Series X launch line-up?

Bethesda acquisition is more promise of 'the games are coming'. But Elder Scrolls is years away. Fallout is probably late gen and we've just had Doom so the next one is 3 years away minimum. So from 2022 onwards Series X may be bolstered by console exclusives from franchises above.

This doesn't make up for a shocking lack of games the first year or how I can buy everything that's out on it on my PC! Let's get some perspective here.

Pre-orders for Xbox Series X / S are live on Argos and Game in the UK (nothing on Amazon just yet).

Going to be interesting to see how fast they sell out compared to the PS5.

Given that right now I'm able to buy from both retailers without trouble, I'm going to say it'll be a slower uptake.

Neo Blaster

No one outside the fringe believe that. This just saved the launch and gets the fan base excited enough while they make some other moves for content before the new studios start producing. This just kept Sony from steamrolling to 85% market share.
At least you admit there's a problem with XSX/XSS launch, but how is launch saved exactly? By adding old multiplat games to a list of already old multiplat games(GT on PC, Tetris and Yakuza on PS4)? Last time I checked those new studios aren't launching anything new within the next 6 months, so more promises of future games like we've already seen?

CrysisFreak

Banned
Some people who say that stuff like TES VI and F5 is coming to PlayStation still are doing so with way too much confidence imho.
We don't know and Minecraft sure as fuck does not set any precedent here.
At all, it was released already on PlayStation so yeah it just stayed.
Honestly I doubt the next TES will be on anything other than PC and X jfl.

PC World's website right now! LOL!

3A3qwe0.png
WTF?

Some people who say that stuff like TES VI and F5 is coming to PlayStation still are doing so with way too much confidence imho.
We don't know and Minecraft sure as fuck does not set any precedent here.
At all, it was released already on PlayStation so yeah it just stayed.
Honestly I doubt the next TES will be on anything other than PC and X jfl.

There is 0 reason to put TES VI on PS5
The game will be on Console, PC and Phone. That's more than enough.

Last edited:

scie

I was able to grab one from Amazon and they were late in my country, but their stock was sold out within minutes. Also the official price for the new XSX controller is 59,99€ and some german retailers like Mediamarkt still have some available even for delivery at launch

Last edited:

zubairali2

series s is still up on amazon uk but series x already sold out

edit: argos and currys pc world are also sold out for series x, however series s seems to be in stock still 🤔

Last edited:

BoxFresh123

Series S still widely available on Amazon so either they stocked that thing up like crazy or demand is a tad lower than expected?

Last edited:

FranXico

Oh wow did they actually release that Ebris game on PS4?, i didnt realize. I know it was slated for console, i did a thread about the game on here. It bombed pretty hard on PC so i figured they just gave up.
Yeah, they're just starting. Anyways, both consoles will get this game. Gotta LOL at "it wasn't marketing!" Sony didn't pay up, obviously.
It's better for them to do it this way though.

Shmunter

I renounce Sony pushing back on the Bethesda buyout with Similar tactics. A few money hats here and there for specific titles puts funding into the system, and that's ok, these titles eventually make their appearance everywhere. Want exclusives...build them, build the studios - do not take shortcuts.

The Ninja Theory buyout was bad enough, and here we go again.

Last edited:

sandkiller

Today I am depressed to see that my games of Spiderman on PS4 will not be able to take advantage of them on PS5, I hope the same will not happen with Tsushima or TLOU2, because otherwise, seriously, in my opinion, and looking at the latest events (Bethesda, IG, prices of games and accessories, reservations, etc.), if we did not take into consideration the chip "Cell" (present in PS5 too in some way) and the difficulty of development that it entailed, we could say that it seems that Sony is returning to the time of PS3.

If PS5 fails I will begin to think that the Cell is the Phill Garrison of microprocessors. Wherever it goes, it fails.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , have you thought about buying TakeTwo for Sony with the change that you get back from buying a HappyMeal?

What do you mean by this:

the chip "Cell" (present in PS5 too in some way)

Aceofspades

Banned
Pre-orders for Xbox Series X / S are live on Argos and Game in the UK (nothing on Amazon just yet).

Going to be interesting to see how fast they sell out compared to the PS5.

Given that right now I'm able to buy from both retailers without trouble, I'm going to say it'll be a slower uptake.

It WILL be way slower than PS5, eventually they will both sell out, but PS5 will definitely be harder to get well into Q1 2021. Xbox will be readily available everywhere

chonga

Series S still widely available on Amazon so either they stocked that think up like crazy or demand is a tad lower than expected?
And elsewhere too. Either they have too much stock or not enough demand for it as you say. We'll likely never know until sales data comes out in December.

ShopTo shows numbers of people with the item in their basket and it is really very low compared to the PS5 and also a lot lower than the Series X when it was available (SX is sold out now so shows the number who had in their basket at the time it sold out - you can't add it now).

Interestingly when the PS5 sold out the numbers were in the thousands, for Series X it is just a couple of hundred.

kensama

Today I am depressed to see that my games of Spiderman on PS4 will not be able to take advantage of them on PS5, I hope the same will not happen with Tsushima or TLOU2, because otherwise, seriously, in my opinion, and looking at the latest events (Bethesda, IG, prices of games and accessories, reservations, etc.), if we did not take into consideration the chip "Cell" (present in PS5 too in some way) and the difficulty of development that it entailed, we could say that it seems that Sony is returning to the time of PS3.

If PS5 fails I will begin to think that the Cell is the Phill Garrison of microprocessors. Wherever it goes, it fails.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , have you thought about buying TakeTwo for Sony with the change that you get back from buying a HappyMeal?

What???
We have multiple developer saying how easy it's to develop for PS5 and you come with FUD from Xbox fanboy with that PS3 narrative (I'm a little disapointed to see those word in your mouth to be honest). What happened to you just because of Bethesda buy?
For Spiderman this the remaster that is not cross save because the game was reworked with new technology of the PS5 (SSD, ....) that's why its not cross save. If i havn't missed something they don't say that the BC Spiderman will not able to use save from PS4?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom