• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that spending that much will not really benefit Sony. If the big publisher doesn't do well, then that will stress them financially and shareholders will ask to cut them down. Same for Microsoft, don't expect Bethesda acquisition to be a honeymoon. By buying them, they need to prepare for a hard work.
Might not even be a choice at the end. When you have a couple players in the market and one of them starts absorbing all oxygen in the room, your only option is anticipating this move and fight fire with fire. Doesn't mean you go on a shopping spree, but you need to identify the targets that are in play and make a move before the opponent does.

Does it mean buying Take 2 or Activision? No, that's stupid. Does it mean purchasing more "Insomniacs", yes, that's exactly what it means.

zaitsu

Banned
Might not even be a choice at the end. When you have a couple players in the market and one of them starts absorbing all oxygen in the room, your only option is anticipating this move and fight fire with fire. Doesn't mean you go on a shopping spree, but you need to identify the targets that are in play and make a move before the opponent does.

Does it mean buying Take 2 or Activision? No, that's stupid. Does it mean purchasing more "Insomniacs", yes, that's exactly what it means.
Nobody buys T2 and Activision. They are too big, and not interested.

EifaEsfU8AETrAz

This is beyond 3-1 PS5. This is pretty bad for xbox they are in trouble.

And elsewhere too. Either they have too much stock or not enough demand for it as you say. We'll likely never know until sales data comes out in December.

ShopTo shows numbers of people with the item in their basket and it is really very low compared to the PS5 and also a lot lower than the Series X when it was available (SX is sold out now so shows the number who had in their basket at the time it sold out - you can't add it now).

Interestingly when the PS5 sold out the numbers were in the thousands, for Series X it is just a couple of hundred.

Not surprised UK is PS Nation & It will be the same worldwide. Xbox are not even in some regions that PS sell. PS brand is massive worldwide. NeoGaf,Twitter & console war guys have no clue. In the real world. How many of you yanks actually left america lol. Casuals are simply going from PS4>PS5 & those that were disappointed with the Xbox will leave.

This was over this gen with digital librarys. And it was dead after the first showcase where the world was locked down at home watching. All this other shit is internet crap that casuals don't give a damn about. When they have the cash & the time they are going to buy what is popular ,what is known to them & what has served them well for 1-8 years.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I love how everyone is getting frustrated about not being able to secure a preorder from retailers, while my country is simply trying to secure retailers that might one day offer preorders. :pie_disappointed:

Y'all and your first world problems. I'm fully prepared to wait until the new year to land a PS5. I might have to schedule a visa run to Japan, for the express purpose of ganking a box.

Nobody buys T2 and Activision. They are too big, and not interested.
Fully agree, just trying to temper down people with weird delusions that such deals are even possible :)
But picking up talent and IPs from existing publishers, yes of course. So teams like Atlus, Kojima Productions, From Software... those are really good targets. You don't need to necessarily buy the whole chicken to get a few eggs :)

Last edited:

Rudius

Well, the XBox Series S and Series X have both had their prices for Brazil revealed just now.

SS: R$ 2.999,90 ($554)
SX: R$ 4.999,90 ($924) (same price as PS5 with BD drive)

Fuck this place, seriously.
At least the price difference is the same as in the rest of the world. Sony scalped us more with a 10% difference between models for no reason at all. Actually the is reason Is: "fuck you!"

BGs

Industry Professional
What???
We have multiple developer saying how easy it's to develop for PS5 and you come with FUD from Xbox fanboy with that PS3 narrative (I'm a little disapointed to see those word in your mouth to be honest). What happened to you just because of Bethesda buy?
For Spiderman this the remaster that is not cross save because the game was reworked with new technology of the PS5 (SSD, ....) that's why its not cross save. If i havn't missed something they don't say that the BC Spiderman will not able to use save from PS4?
giphy.gif

Maybe the translation was not good?

It is much easier to develop for PS5 than for PS3. At no time have I said otherwise, if this is reflected in the text then it is wrongly translated.

I thought my comic hysteria-type response was understood. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Although it is true that in my view Sony is making some mistakes that it already made in the days of PS3 (And I don't mean the hardware, but the business strategy).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough but surely MS knew this? Why did they make so many available. Series X is sold out but this is widely available.
Stock for black friday when parents have to buy their children a console

So, I was told by the central office of retailer chain I have made my preorder with, that for the first numbers of preorders there is for them an associated microsoft coupon, which -in his exact words- probably is for day 1 bonuses

Last edited:

kensama

giphy.gif

Maybe the translation was not good?

It is much easier to develop for PS5 than for PS3. At no time have I said otherwise, if this is reflected in the text then it is wrongly translated.

I thought my comic hysteria-type response was understood. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Although it is true that in my view Sony is making some mistakes that it already made in the days of PS3 (and I do not mean the hardware).

I'm cool don't worry. ;)
Just maybe i misinterpreted your comment.
For mistake from Sony, the only one i see is the price of game but is it so irrelevant to increase price?
We want want more blowing game from developer and want to pay less and in the same time the budget for a game to develop is increasing.

Well, Sony did say they were looking to acquire new studios for awhile now.

Before Tencent acquired the studio.

There's no doubt that Sony is still actively looking for studios.

The question is which studio they acquire and when.

Sony is usually on a "lets buy this small but talent study, give them money and make It grow big" aproach wich is more legit imo

Shmunter

What???
We have multiple developer saying how easy it's to develop for PS5 and you come with FUD from Xbox fanboy with that PS3 narrative (I'm a little disapointed to see those word in your mouth to be honest). What happened to you just because of Bethesda buy?
For Spiderman this the remaster that is not cross save because the game was reworked with new technology of the PS5 (SSD, ....) that's why its not cross save. If i havn't missed something they don't say that the BC Spiderman will not able to use save from PS4?
The Tempest to Cell was a Sony self comparison based on Cell being a stream processor - it's what made the PS3 such an audio powerhouse. There is no comparison here for general compute and game logic. Unrelated and I think he knows that but broken English is in the way.

The Spiderman thing is a travesty. They could patch the PS4 game with PS5 code and we'd have the enhanced game and saves too. But they want to extract money instead. The whole thing smells to high heaven and I'm still hopeful they'll come to their sense.

Edit: I see BG already clarified

Last edited:

kensama

The Tempest to Cell was a Sony self comparison based on Cell being a stream processor - it's what made the PS3 such an audio powerhouse. There is no comparison here for general compute and game logic. Unrelated and I think he knows that but broken English is in the way.

The Spiderman thing is a travesty. They could patch the PS4 game with PS5 code and we'd have the enhanced game and saves too. But they want to extract money instead. The whole thing smells to high heaven and I'm still hopeful they'll come to their sense.

Edit: I see BG already clarified

For the CELL i red correctly and that's why i doesn't understand the relation made between an audio proceessor based on cell's SPU and his comment.
But that's closed.

For Spiderman yep but if sales don't go in the Sony's direction they will back pedalling

(y)
it is very rare for me to get pissed with anything related to video games, but sony managed to do just that with spiderman BIG TIME!!

and this after the video demonstrating spiderman ps4 on ssd benefits side by side and cerny's presentation....
fuckin' scalpers

Last edited:

That's also what I think they should do. Buy developers not publishers. Bethesda is not a good move by Microsoft, they will have to undergo synergy sooner or later ( no matter what the PR says).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Today I am depressed to see that my games of Spiderman on PS4 will not be able to take advantage of them on PS5, I hope the same will not happen with Tsushima or TLOU2, because otherwise, seriously, in my opinion, and looking at the latest events (Bethesda, IG, prices of games and accessories, reservations, etc.), if we did not take into consideration the chip "Cell" (present in PS5 too in some way) and the difficulty of development that it entailed, we could say that it seems that Sony is returning to the time of PS3.

If PS5 fails I will begin to think that the Cell is the Phill Garrison of microprocessors. Wherever it goes, it fails.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , have you thought about buying TakeTwo for Sony with the change that you get back from buying a HappyMeal?

I think buying Rockstar alone is massive, but it'll be too expensive that you can spend the money more wisely on already friendy studios like Kojima Productions, Bluepoint, Atlas. Konami and Sega are less expensive and have massive titles.

d4bebc5031ba606246b62c5cee5cf932ad8652abv2_hq.jpg

bvk0d7Y.png

Sony as well has plenty of neglected IP's that are begging to return. With such money or less, you could buy both, not to mention that you can push PES over FIFA.

I think buying Rockstar alone is massive, but it'll be too expensive that you can spend the money more wisely on already friendy studios like Kojima Productions, Bluepoint, Atlas. Konami and Sega are less expensive and have massive titles.

d4bebc5031ba606246b62c5cee5cf932ad8652abv2_hq.jpg

bvk0d7Y.png

Sony as well has plenty of neglected IP's that are begging to return. With such money or less, you could buy both, not to mention that you can push PES over FIFA.
TBF, Sega and Konami are worthless. Thier IPs are mostly dead and requires alot of investment to revamp them. You are better with new studios and new IPs.
What sony need to do now is secure what they have, Bluepoint, Kojima, Housemarque, level 5. Then move into some external acquisition.

I believe Sony got little arrogant and didn't feel the need to secure developers while putting exclusive games on PC. They thought Microsoft is dead. I am glad Microsoft bought Bethesda ( even though I don't thing Microsoft will manage them well). At least the can light a fire near Sony's ass and keep them in check. At the end, we win.

Aceofspades

Banned
Yeah I understand how market cap is calculated. They idea is that all current shareholders could sell off all stock and suddenly they'd have 1.5 trillion in cash. Obviously such a scenario is theoretical. Any firesale in reality would drive the price down rapidly, etc.

But it is a very accurate measure to compare corporations' values. Price+volume.

Not at all, example, look at TESLA and Nikola

Those shares are traded in a secondary market, I buy share from another customer who sold those shares. MS has nothing to do with these transactions or no benefit at all.

So, market cap being 1T or 1M is simply a market perception of the value of the company, its no where near being an accurate representation of state of any company.

FunkMiller

I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised, but yesterday's big Microsoft acquisition announcement has really brought out the worst in the hardcore console warriors.

The irony being of course that Sony and Microsoft would jump into bed with one another in a fucking heartbeat if they smelled profit in it.

The idea that there's this big all out warfare going on between two large corporations is laughable, once you grow up a bit and look at the world the way it really functions.

zaitsu

Banned
TBF, Sega and Konami are worthless. Thier IPs are mostly dead and requires alot of investment to revamp them. You are better with new studios and new IPs.
What sony need to do now is secure what they have, Bluepoint, Kojima, Housemarque, level 5. Then move into some external acquisition.

I believe Sony got little arrogant and didn't feel the need to secure developers while putting exclusive games on PC. They thought Microsoft is dead. I am glad Microsoft bought Bethesda ( even though I don't thing Microsoft will manage them well). At least the can light a fire near Sony's ass and keep them in check. At the end, we win.
I think Sony would finally come to an understanding that this generation has no place for arrogant Sony. MS will keep them in check. And thats great.

zaitsu

Banned
I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised, but yesterday's big Microsoft acquisition announcement has really brought out the worst in the hardcore console warriors.

The irony being of course that Sony and Microsoft would jump into bed with one another in a fucking heartbeat if they smelled profit in it.

The idea that there's this big all out warfare going on between two large corporations is laughable, once you grow up a bit and look at the world the way it really functions.
Tbh im really sure thats last xbox console. They will just sell gamepass on PS5 and PCs and wont bother with sales of their own consoles. Its easier to make cash on every sold playstation than competing with them.

welshrat

Be interesting to see what the preorder state is like at the end, I have just been on shopto.net to see what the site is like. I could not get onto the site at all when I was turning my PS5 register interest into a preorder and had to keep refreshing whereas today there is no such issue, of course they may have increased capacity so it might not be indicative of anything.

Last edited:
Sega and Microsoft have been close, with the Dreamcast, then putting Sega games on the original Xbox, and then recently then deciding to put LAD on the Series X, could SEGA be next after Zenimax?
Damn, imagine if Microsoft starts buying more publishers to have a lot of big names on their service day one. That could be the solution to what is said about how some publishers don't want to put their games on Gamepass on day one.

lK8RUGq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom