• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation Gameplay

That is incorrect.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/plaster-bla...fully-procedural-destruction-system-explained

It may look like its not procedural because most of the destruction they demonstrate is from breach charges which create the same size hole every time. Which of course, is what breach charges were designed to do.

Pretty sure this is incorrect.

That article is nearly 2 years old and does not explain much of anything. The game looks graphically different now then its first showing .Aren't there designated spots (windows, floor panels) that break away to reveal something behind them? That is usually a tell tale sign that it is not procedural.

Do you have any good video that show how shooting holes or blowing holes in walls with grenades (not breaching charges) looks different every time? Or is it the same pieces which fall out? Or the hole is different every time?

Every real media I have seen, not PR pieces, seems to show the same facets of the old replace geometry type of destruction in games. Nothing like fracture.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Game design that isn't possible on last gen most certainly exists.

Parts of game design you mean, or parts of rendering, pasted over the same genres that have been around over multiple generations. Is that your idea of 'gameplay' that is literally impossible on last gen?

When people say "gameplay", that usually implies the entire game design itself, not just certain elements of an already existing template.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That is an evolution of previous concepts though, all of your examples, not a revolution of gameplay design that literally could not be done. As you say yourself, they could be done with downgrading, but that is the point. Everyone could be with downgrading to some degree, unless we're talking about literal 2D to 3D dimensional concepts, and even that technically could be simulated by 2D artwork to some degree
Obviously it is an evolution on existing concepts but it's next gen in the sense that it can't be done without incredibly heavy revisions. Shadow of Mordor's last gen port is a perfect example of what happens when something that only works with these consoles is chopped up to try and run on last gen. Sure the core concepts are similar but it can't keep up in anyway shape or form in terms of the game's mechanics and design and is a shell of the "true" version that the devs intended.

Parts of game design you mean, or parts of rendering, pasted over the same genres that have been around over multiple generations. Is that your idea of 'gameplay' that is literally impossible on last gen?

When people say "gameplay", that usually implies the entire game design itself, not just certain elements of an already existing template.
Read the above.

Battlefield 4 has 64 players on console with huge maps. Pretty sure that wasn't possible last gen, at least not that I remember. It's the one game that has stood out to me more than any other as next gen.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
"Cutting graphical fidelity" doesn't give you infinite processor and memory capabilities. Some of the bigger open world games would have been literally, actually impossible on those systems due to RAM constraints alone.
Which ones are you thinking of, specifically? The reason I'm not sure this is true is because giant open worlds have been around forever (look at, say, Daggerfall). Downgrade graphics enough, simplify animations, make textures low-res or non-existent in places, reduce things like weather and ambient effects, and I'd be very surprised if something like, say, GTA: San Andreas couldn't do the same gameplay things as Witcher 3.

This is basically a theoretical thing, because below a certain level of graphical quality, no developer is going to downgrade further for gameplay advancements (and virtually no one would buy games by developers that do). In that sense, yes, better hardware is still enabling gameplay advancements.

Broritos

That article is nearly 2 years old and does not explain much of anything. The game looks graphically different now then its first showing .Aren't there designated spots (windows, floor panels) that break away to reveal something behind them? That is usually a tell tale sign that it is not procedural.

Do you have any good video that show how shooting holes or blowing holes in walls with grenades (not breaching charges) looks different every time? Or is it the same pieces which fall out? Or the hole is different every time?

Every real media I have seen, not PR pieces, seems to show the same facets of the old replace geometry type of destruction in games. Nothing like fracture.

It's different. You can literally create eye sized holes on any surface of a destructible wall with bullets or a melee attack.

https://youtu.be/K28Ih90PRG0?t=1m57s

Notice the bullet holes.

There are, but it's a mix.

There are specific panels and doors that can be breached and blown away completely. However, you can also just shoot parts of the cover away instead. A boarded up door can be breached with a charge, or you can knock bits of it away with melee or bullets.

There are also floors and walls that you can blow little bits and pieces away from. Creating "murder holes" in walls is a legitimate and important tactic. Lots of people prefer to shoot away just a small corner of a wall and go prone to peek out and shoot people.

Most walls actually have one drywall panel, a wooden frame, and then another drywall panel. Shotguns can quickly blast large holes through them, whereas a pistol takes multiple shots and really only create small holes (unless, of course, you continue shooting around it to widen it).

Here's a clip of me shooting someone through a wall. Note how the bullets eventually blow open a larger part of the wall, but it looks NOTHING like what a breaching charge does. You can also see that I blew a part of the wall closest to me, but not the second layer, which is just bullet holes. Breaching charges tend to create more uniform openings, I agree, which is maybe why you're thinking it's not procedural at all. It's possible it's some weird hybrid mix?

It's nothing like, say, BF4, which is all prefab (except maybe for the microdestruction that's in *some* maps). There don't seem to be any advanced physics, like fracture, but they're not really necessary in this game.

EDIT: Ah, the video below is perfect and shows numerous examples. BOOM.

Razzorn34

Well that's what people have to think about before inventing nebulous terms even they can't agree on.

Sometimes people use it for defining console gens, other times people use it to reference systems in already existing games and franchises that have been upgraded to take advantage of things that were not possible on previous technology, and there are those who just think something that literally could not be done period in any sense is the only thing that defines "next gen gameplay".

We've had all 3 in this thread, and it should be narrowed down

For me, it is things that that could not be done in the previous generation in any sense. But, I'm also interested in what other people define that as, and what they think that entails. Hense, the conversation.

Sure, next generation is nothing but a marketing term, but we have no other term to emphasize something has taken the next big step. I cannot agree with people saying there is no such thing as next generation gameplay. There are examples, but they are definitely few and far between. All this means is that we have hit a point of stagnation in the gameplay department.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
For me, it is things that that could not be done in the previous generation in any sense. But, I'm also interested in what other people define that as, and what they think that entails. Hense, the conversation.

Sure, next generation is nothing but a marketing term, but we have no other term to emphasize something has taken the next big step. I cannot agree with people saying there is no such thing as next generation gameplay. There are examples, but they are definitely few and far between. All this means is that we have hit a point of stagnation in the gameplay department.
I'd say it's more of a stagnation in terms of what genres are gonna be done with a huge budget with a million copies in mind for sales. So devs are focusing on expanding existing concepts past what was possible before as well as merging genres.

kuroneco

Playroom, Share play,interact with game broadcasting (game makers should try this more)

The term of "game play", what is exactly a "game play" anyway

If we are talking about new genre of gaming, no, nothing new since the PS2 era.

I'm still waiting to see what way(s) this ultimately proves to be a let down of the hypiest of over-hyped hype.
I mean we have seen this demonstrated quite a bit now and it's not like Dave Jones is out with a crap ton of hyperbole. It seems like what they are showing is what we will get. Not sure what your big let down is gonna be.

DriveClub is the answer for this and the thread you mentioned, OP.

It's graphics were definitely not possible on previous gens.

The reason I mention DriveClub in this thread is that the lighting in that game, as well as the weather effects are so awesome that they actually impact the gameplay that's underneath.

Try driving a track at midnight, with heavy snow or rain enabled. These graphical effects severely impact the round time and outcome in a race. At times you litterally can't see anything and you're driving blind on instinct.

Never played anything like it on earlief consoles.

RedSwirl

Which ones are you thinking of, specifically? The reason I'm not sure this is true is because giant open worlds have been around forever (look at, say, Daggerfall). Downgrade graphics enough, simplify animations, make textures low-res or non-existent in places, reduce things like weather and ambient effects, and I'd be very surprised if something like, say, GTA: San Andreas couldn't do the same gameplay things as Witcher 3.

This is basically a theoretical thing, because below a certain level of graphical quality, no developer is going to downgrade further for gameplay advancements (and virtually no one would buy games by developers that do). In that sense, yes, better hardware is still enabling gameplay advancements.

Without procedural generation? I don't know if you could get the world to that size on any earlier console without a ton of loading screens.

The closest thing I can imagine is Ultima Underworld, which had a lot of the same gameplay as Elder Scrolls but was in a more Bioshock-scale setting back in 1992 (ported to PS1 in 1994 I believe), but with graphics that look like DOOM.

ChouGoku

I played Ground Zeroes, and I felt that the controls and mechanics of Splinter Cell: Blacklist is better. I don't know if MGSV did refine it from GZ though.

My vote goes to Wonderful 101. The combat mechanics are very brilliant.

Edit: Also Zombi U. Best usage of Gamepad.

I played ground zeroes the other day after binging ~70 hours into MGSV and I can't believe how terrible they were compared to V and I loved GZ

Sesha

you could say that about every game ever to be honest in some fashion, with enough downgrading.

This idea of "next gen gameplay" is nonsense applied to generational standards, and has only to do with how imaginative devs are.

On-the-fly Style-switching and Devil Bringer were supposedly planned for DMC3 but dropped because of RAM issues. So you could argue they could be considered a form of "next-gen gameplay". I doubt stuff like Guard Flying would have been possible on the PS2 either.

Chairman Yang

Without procedural generation? I don't know if you could get the world to that size on any earlier console without a ton of loading screens.
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding what you mean by procedural generation, but even if the content was not procedurally generated (and maybe just quick-to-create copy/pasted stuff), wouldn't a gigantic open world still be possible?

My understanding is that streaming technology (and I guess storage capacity) is the real determinant of how big an open world can be. Only a little bit of the game is in memory (and needs processor power) at any one time. GTA: San Andreas could've had a vastly larger open world and still worked, although for various reasons that wouldn't have made economic or gameplay sense for Rockstar.

SomTervo

Arkham Knight

• no loading screens
  • switchable FreeFlow characters mid combo
  • seamless Batmobile integration

It would be impossible on last gen.

The Witcher 3
- no loading screens across areas significantly larger than AK's Gotham City - with more interiors
- combat with four gameplay mechanics in work at once, and later in the game with multiple AI characters and factions in combat at once
- seamless horse/boat travel

Both great showcases of current-gen-only possibilities.

DriveClub is the answer for this and the thread you mentioned, OP.

It's graphics were definitely not possible on previous gens.

The reason I mention DriveClub in this thread is that the lighting in that game, as well as the weather effects are so awesome that they actually impact the gameplay that's underneath.

Try driving a track at midnight, with heavy snow or rain enabled. These graphical effects severely impact the round time and outcome in a race. At times you litterally can't see anything and you're driving blind on instinct.

Never played anything like it on earlief consoles.

V-rally 1 on ps1 had some really harsh night tracks, if you crashed and broke your lights you could see NOTHING lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rainbow Six Siege's destruction is seriously impressive. Being able to make small peepholes to fire through as well as being able to take down full walls for flanking routes makes the maps and rounds very dynamic in a way that few other shooters can be and it does it at 60fps.

Seems like a lot of people are confusing gameplay with graphics in this thread. To be honest there are very few (if any) examples of actual gameplay that couldn't be possible on last gen, but I have to admit that the ones that do all seem to be Microsoft's cloud stuff. The AI in the Forza games are realistic and flawed just like people, and the destruction tech in Crackdown looks absolutely crazy.

Other than that I really don't think there's anything else.

SomTervo

Rainbow Six Siege's destruction is seriously impressive. Being able to make small peepholes to fire through as well as being able to take down full walls for flanking routes makes the maps and rounds very dynamic in a way that few other shooters can be and it does it at 60fps.

True that. It's practically voxel-based, but far more controlled than voxels. Different materials are penetrable at different rates. If you're on an embassy map, fewer of the walls will be penetrable than if you're on an outback shack map.

Last night on co-op I killed about 6 terrorists with my shotgun by blasting holes through the walls whenever they tried to duck into cover.

Then we played a map in a government building and suddenly - hoho - I can't shoot through any walls. All reinforced/multilayered. I'd only ever damage the surface.

It gets even more amazing when floors get damaged and even the enemy AI starts shooting you through the floor so you have these amazing, dynamic vertical gunfights.

Last gen still got destructibility - eg in Battlefields - but it was never this detailed or realistic at an intimate, micro scale. Also all the particles stay in the map, so there's legit debris strewn everywhere.

There is no such thing as next gen gameplay.

i think that's the best answer so far.

I don't think that's true. It shows a lack of imagination saying as much. In 30 years you think gameplay will be exactly as it is today? That is won't have expanded/developed at all? That's essentially what you're saying with the statement 'next-gen gameplay is an impossibility'.

Two generations ago it would have been literally impossible to have as many mechanics and actions as there are in Metal Gear Solid V: TPP. Literally impossible. If you counted it up, MGS2 and 3 had half as many actions as MGSV, and a fraction of the contexts/opportunities. It would be impossible to have AI that good, and it would have been impossible to have gameworlds that large, or physics that dynamic. All of those are gameplay elements. All of which are directly constrained to the console generation in question. "Gameplay" as a whole is a symbiosis of all of these elements, and the scope + depth only increases per generation, so yes, gameplay can be 'next-gen'.

Our games right now are still constrained by last-gen and archaic design approaches, but by the end of this generation we'll probably be seeing interactions we could only dream of last gen. Even some of the stuff I was doing in Dying Light and The Witcher wouldn't be doable last-gen. Perhaps this gen is a bit too much of a stepping stone to the next level of interactions, but within another console generation or two I think we'll be seeing amazing stuff.

Chairman Yang

I don't think that's true. It shows a lack of imagination saying as much. In 30 years you think gameplay will be exactly as it is today? That is won't have expanded/developed at all? That's essentially what you're saying with the statement 'next-gen gameplay is an impossibility'.
I don't think that's what they're saying at all. Instead, they're saying that technological factors haven't been the limiting factor for the gameplay advancements we've seen so far this generation. Gameplay has obviously advanced, and will continue to do so, but that's really a function of continued progression in game design, and not a matter of the new consoles unlocking new capabilities.

Two generations ago it would have been literally impossible to have as many mechanics and actions as there are in Metal Gear Solid V: TPP. Literally impossible. If you counted it up, MGS2 and 3 had half as many actions as MGSV, and a fraction of the contexts/opportunities. It would be impossible to have AI that good, and it would have been impossible to have gameworlds that large, or physics that dynamic. All of those are gameplay elements. All of which are directly constrained to the console generation in question. "Gameplay" as a whole is a symbiosis of all of these elements, and the scope + depth only increases per generation, so yes, gameplay can be 'next-gen'.
Of course our opinions are unverifiable, but I find your prediction here extremely hard to believe. Take the last-gen version of MGS5. Are you really saying that, with the graphics severely cut down, it wouldn't be possible one generation before? Why? What would constrain it? MGS2/3 had cutting-edge graphics in their day. Why couldn't they do more if they aimed much lower in terms of polycount, animation quality, textures, and so on?

Despite being more common nowadays, huge gameworlds have existed for a long time. AI doesn't seem to be significantly better, in many cases, than the days of Half-Life 1, FEAR, or old multiplayer bots. I don't know what you mean by "dynamic physics" in this context, but they too have been around for a long time; even the PS2 generation had games like Psi-Ops and the original Red Faction.

I really think you're severely underestimating the scope and ambition of old games. I'm not saying more power isn't important. It is. I think most people won't accept horrendously ugly games despite their huge ambition (although I think there are exceptions even here). But in raw gameplay complexity, the only real, recent example of better tech enabling new gameplay possibilities is Crusader Kings 2/EU4/Victoria 2, maybe.

Our games right now are still constrained by last-gen and archaic design approaches, but by the end of this generation we'll probably be seeing interactions we could only dream of last gen. Even some of the stuff I was doing in Dying Light and The Witcher wouldn't be doable last-gen. Perhaps this gen is a bit too much of a stepping stone to the next level of interactions, but within another console generation or two I think we'll be seeing amazing stuff.
I'd be very curious to know what Dying Light/Witcher stuff wasn't possible last-gen. Just because certain things weren't done on older tech, doesn't mean they couldn't have been done.

Rembrandt

Banned
Maybe the Crackdown 3 destruction?

this and Shadows of Mordor are the best examples. These were things that just couldn't be done on consoles. Look at the last-gen port of Shadows of Mordor.

I think next-gen gameplay is a pointless label used by people to whine more or criticise games they don't like. The closest I can think of is "No Man's Sky", that is an idea that wasn't possible on last-gen games. You're on a planet, you can mine, trade, shoot and explore then when you're bored take off and head to countless other planets.

If you can name an example and define it, it isn't totally useless. I think it's a weird criticism to level at a lot of games, but through each gen there has been gameplay implemented that couldn't be done in the previous.

I'm still waiting to see what way(s) this ultimately proves to be a let down of the hypiest of over-hyped hype.

smh.

I would argue the NPC density in DR3 is an example. If only we could get that many NPCs on screen at once in any other game. The opening scene blew my mind.

Top Bottom