• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Stop NextGen: Have we already seen the last wave of big CurrentGen-announcements?

I expect the first nextgen system (MS/Sony) to launch in ...

Votes: 23 35.4%

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • Later than 2020

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KevinKeene

Banned
See question in title. Obviously I'm excluding the Switch from that debate for various reasons.

Speaking about the PS4's and Xbox One's upcoming games, have we already seen the last wave of big game announcements? That thought popped up in my head while I was browsing the Anthem-thread and contemplating to buy an Xbox One.

There's Anthem, Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Halo Infinite, Cyberpunk 2077 and others we saw at E3. Will these be the final blockbuster AAA titles for currentgen systems? Or can we hope for another batch of new announcements?

Bethesda has kinda already given up on this gen, showing just title names of games that are far in the future. But can we ecpect GTA6 on PS4 and Xbox One? What about a new big Square Enix-game? FF16? Will Ubisoft release a new AAA ip or wait until nextgen? What about a new Fable-game? A new Bloodborne? Then there's the biggish sort of games: Rocksteady's new game? A third Tomb Raider-game? The revival of Mass Effect? And so on.

What do we know, what do you expect?

JangoRain

In short, I think so. However I would not be surprised if there’s 1 or 2 AAA games that bridge the gap and are released on both current gen ps4&xbone and neXtbox and ps5.

magnumpy

well bethesda has fallout 76 coming out for I assume current generation systems. beyond that next gen is difficult to say...

Mochilador

It feels that way. Games nowaday take a long time to develop.
Maybe they still have a few surprises for this gen.

It feels that way. Games nowaday take a long time to develop.
Maybe they still have a few surprises for this gen.

I think this is the reason the PS5, etc generation will be the longest. With games taking so many years to develop. The 5 year generation model no longer works if it takes 5 years to make a next gen game. Who wants their favorite developers to only release one game a generation? Its looking that way for Rockstar games already.

Of course I may be wrong about this.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
Unfortunately with all the delays, it seems like the industry is trying to move on as soon as possible. 2019

Velius

Banned
I do. I think next year we see one or both of the new ones.

This whole generation was a fucking bust. Constant promises. Next year. Next year.

Like... Bloodborne delivered. That was it.

Mochilador

I think this is the reason the PS5, etc generation will be the longest. With games taking so many years to develop. The 5 year generation model no longer works if it takes 5 years to make a next gen game. Who wants their favorite developers to only release one game a generation? Its looking that way for Rockstar games already.

Of course I may be wrong about this.
Yeah, 4~5 years generations don't seem feasible anymore. Takes forever to make a game.

Fbh

Before E3 I would have told you 2020 is the earliest we we would see a next gen system. Now I see 2019 as a very real possibility.

Sony had nothing new to announce which at least to me confirms that these are the last big PS4 games (some of them probably cross gen )

Since there were no games attached to the announcement of the studio acquisitions by MS I have to guess all their stuff is targeting the next Xbox.

Third parties, for the most part, either announced things that are coming soon (Fallout 76, DMC5, etc) or things that seem to be several years away (Elder Scrolls, Cyberpunk, etc).

I sort of agree with people hoping next gen is longer with how long games take to make now.
Last gen we got 2 elder Scrolls and 2 fallout games. This gen it's 2 Fallout and no elder Scrolls. Last gen we got GTAIV, V and RDR, this gen it seems like RDR2 will be the only new Rockstar game. Last gen we Got Uncharted 1,2,3 and TLOU, this gen it was U4, a half sequel and TLOU2 , etc

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
E3 was light on 2019 commitments. Sure we got a few games but developers were pretty coy what systems games were running. I don't remember anything high profile with a 2020 date for PS4/XBOX One or X?

2019 seems like it will be kinda of a last hurrah for this gen. I think next E3 we are going to see a ton of next gen games with a mix of cross gen games.

Nope, not a chance.

Last gen was 7 years and we literally just got the One X and PS4 Pro.

People saying it will be next year after those just came out are crazy.

Last edited:

PhineBuyM3

I do. I think next year we see one or both of the new ones.

This whole generation was a fucking bust. Constant promises. Next year. Next year.

Like... Bloodborne delivered. That was it.

This gen has been wack as fuck for me. Sequels I really wanted don't seem to have a chance in hell in coming out and the one game I was looking forward to was trash.

Before E3 I would have told you 2020 is the earliest we we would see a next gen system. Now I see 2019 as a very real possibility.

Sony had nothing new to announce which at least to me confirms that these are the last big PS4 games (some of them probably cross gen )

Since there were no games attached to the announcement of the studio acquisitions by MS I have to guess all their stuff is targeting the next Xbox.

Third parties, for the most part, either announced things that are coming soon (Fallout 76, DMC5, etc) or things that seem to be several years away (Elder Scrolls, Cyberpunk, etc).

I sort of agree with people hoping next gen is longer with how long games take to make now.
Last gen we got 2 elder Scrolls and 2 fallout games. This gen it's 2 Fallout and no elder Scrolls. Last gen we got GTAIV, V and RDR, this gen it seems like RDR2 will be the only new Rockstar game. Last gen we Got Uncharted 1,2,3 and TLOU, this gen it was U4, a half sequel and TLOU2 , etc
Actually from Rockstar last gen we got GTA IV (and two expansions), Midnight Club LA, LA Noire, Max Payne 3, GTA V, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Red Dead Redemption (and Undead Nightmare), , and GTA Vice City Stories and Liberty Cities Stories.

This gen, absolutely nothing at the moment. Red Dead will probably be their only game for this gen.

There won't be traditional transition to next gens this time. Everything is becoming platform and GaAS games want as big audience as they can get - so realistically we will be looking at several years of cross gen development with new models replacing current Pro/X one at the top.

Last generation HAD TO end when it did because the hardware was just so egregiously behind the rendering technology that it couldn't properly handle it. For the Xbox One and PS4 we're no where close to that even with the base systems let alone the Pro and X; so people crying out for a new generation are frankly insane.

I know something or maybe even both will hit before this date, but I don't want to see anything new until 2021 at least. It's not necessary and I feel like this generation is forcibly being cut short.

Klik

Nope, not a chance.

Last gen was 7 years and we literally just got the One X and PS4 Pro.

People saying it will be next year after those just came out are crazy.
It was 7 years because it was a economic reccession and Sony didnt make any profit of PS3 until 2010.

Also,holiday 2019 its gonna be 3 years since PS4 Pro was released. And it has been said PRO doesnt extend generation

Last edited:

McHuj

I think any future big announcements are pretty much guaranteed to be cross-gen games and even games like Cyberpunk likely are already.

Wouldn’t surprise me either if Last of Us 2 was already being designed to run on PS5 natively as well.

Trogdor1123

It's shocking how many games seem to have almost skipped an entire generation. It's one thing I will really remember about this generation

NahaNago

This has been one weird gen. I really want it to end as quickly as possible for some odd reason. My only hope is if next gen comes to an end sooner rather than later that for the PS5 , Sony puts it foot down and ports these end of the ps4 gen games to the PS5. That was the biggest mistake in my opinion when it came to the start of this gen. I'm still annoyed that they didn't put GT6 and Puppeteer immmediately on the PS4 and bump Driveclub a year later.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

This gen, absolutely nothing at the moment. Red Dead will probably be their only game for this gen.

They had GTAV and then their time went into GTA Online. If multiplayer wasn’t a thing we’d likely have almost just as many games right now.

Last edited:
I expect another 2+ years of PS4 and X1 and/or 2+ years of significant "cross gen" releases at retail. The slower adoption of 4k, the bloated AAA budgets, the uncertain future (will people copy the Switch or not?), and the mid-gen upgrades (Pro and X1X) make it much easier to delay the next generation. Additionally, hardware production has been constrained by cryptominers and smartphone producers, so I don't see how we can easily leap into the next generation until those are alleviated.

That's plenty of time for at least a handful of big-name titles for this gen of consoles.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
To answer the title: yes, and I think it's likely some of the titles already announced at E3 this year are going to end up being cross gen. (Halo Infinite, Cyberpunk)

odhiex

I am kinda expected that the next gen console(s) to arrive in 2020, but I really wish the developer(s) and publisher(s) don't abandon the PS4/XONE's huge player base so soon. Heck, there are still that many gamers in the "third-world countries" who have yet to play games on PS4 or XBox this gen.

Of course we've naturally wanted the latest and greatest, but don't forget that many of us are not as lucky as we are. I hope Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo still supporting the old legacy hardwares for as long as possible.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I think most of the big titles will be cross gen. Cyberpunk and Starfield are all but confirmed at this point. I suspect this means we'll see reveal events end of 2019, with E3 2020 as the big show, holiday 2020 launch. Plenty of time for good titles.

I think the biggest difference between this gen and next will be that backwards compatibility won't have to be emulated, so everything - in theory - carries forward. Not sure how this is going to impact what games get next gen "special editions", so it'll be interesting to watch how they handle it. I think Sony will be more reserved on that front; Microsoft is moving towards a totally unified library, so I suspect the next Xbox supports literally everything from the get go. That's a huge incentive. PS4 killed Sony' backwards compatibility movement, so I'm not sure how they'll handle it, if at all.

Atra Mors

Neo Member
I believe we have.

The Last Of Us II in particular I think will be for the PS4 what it's predecessor was for the PS3, a final game of sorts to show the full capabilities of the system and a farewell to the current gen.

PS5 shouldn't be too far behind after the game is released.

Last edited:
Top Bottom