• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Yakuza Title to Receive Detailed Information on August 29th

Mista

Banned
Shin-Ryu-ga-Gotoku-1024x576.jpg

Today, publisher Sega confirmed who would be playing the main female co-star alongside Kasuga. It’s Eri Kamataki, selected from 10 finalists following an audition that attracted nearly 1,000 actors.

Sure, it’s not much by way of a big announcement. But series producer Toshihiro Nagaoshi did confirm that detailed information on the game would be revealed on August 29th. Given how close this is to the Tokyo Game Show in September, it wouldn’t be weird to see the first teaser trailer.

Kazza

They normally save the juicy stuff for the Tokyo Game Show in September (that's where Judgment was announced), so I'm going to keep my expectations low for this August event to avoid disappointment. A proper gameplay trailer would be great though.

Ellis

Even though Kiryu will be missed greatly, I'm excited to see these new faces for a game-or-two before his inevitable return, by the end of next year lol

sublimit

Banned
I still can't believe they greenlighted this lame character design to fill the protagonist shoes of one of the most iconic characters in gaming. It almost feels as if it's some kind of joke/farce.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Mista

Banned
I don’t mind Kasuga’s design nor him being an asshole. I’ll wait and see myself before jumping to conclusions

I didn't like the design initially either Kasuga is alright in the mobile game. Thugs make fun of his hair all the time and he is semilar to Akiyama. I don't know about this new design. Looks worst to me at the moment.

Kazza

Still 4 more days until the 29th, but in the meantime a Yakuza producer was interviewed at Gamescon and revealed the following info:

Sato wants to reassure fans that Kasuga will be just as "cool" as his predecessor. At Gamescom, the producer's interpreter said: "There might be some fans who are worried the new character might not be cool, might not be attractive, or might not be that interesting. [Sato] wants to reassure [fans] that they're on a good track to create a new, very interesting and very lovable character. He wants the fans to trust them that he will create something cool for them."

According to Sato, the character swap is something that the studio has been considering since the original game. "When we started out with Yakuza one, we were talking about, 'Yeah, it would be cool if we could use Kiryu through Yakuza 2 and 3, but then we'll probably have to change it,'" Sato said. "And then Kiryu became a more and more...let's say attractive and interesting character, so while in four we added [some] other main characters and, [with] five, even more main characters, at the end of the day the story of Kiryu lasted longer than just three Yakuza titles. It lasted six Yakuza titles."

Further Yakuza 7 details will be shared at a press conference in Tokyo next week. It's a pivotal moment for the developer. The new character should make Yakuza 7 another jumping-on point for newcomers. Sato describes Kasuga, and the larger game, as a blank piece of paper. "There's a lot of pressure, of course," he said. "And there's a lot of hard work you have to do when you're starting anew, but it's also an opportunity to think about new backstories, new possibilities, new mechanics when you're creating something from scratch that no Yakuza fan knows anything about."

I think the team have a good enough track record for me not to worry about the new character. For me the most important thing is the new mechanics. There will be people who have played through 7 Yakuza games in the past three years (9 if you include Judgment and FotNS), so I feel they have to change things up gameplay-wise a bit more than they usually do, especially seeing as we are in for yet another adventure in Kumarocho. I assume the next entry will be utilising the Dragon Engine, so they should be able to focus on the mechanics a bit more.

Last edited:

nowhat

I missed Karaoke and the bad ass songs while playing Judgment
I think that the more egregious mistake was not having a fishing minigame.

Now don't get me wrong, had there been one I probably would have tried it once and leave it at that. But Japanese studios tend to include fishing in their games, whether that makes sense or not. And in Judgment, there is an indoor fishing place the main character frequents. And yet you can't fish.

mejin

Still 4 more days until the 29th, but in the meantime a Yakuza producer was interviewed at Gamescon and revealed the following info:

I think the team have a good enough track record for me not to worry about the new character. For me the most important thing is the new mechanics. There will be people who have played through 7 Yakuza games in the past three years (9 if you include Judgment and FotNS), so I feel they have to change things up gameplay-wise a bit more than they usually do, especially seeing as we are in for yet another adventure in Kumarocho. I assume the next entry will be utilising the Dragon Engine, so they should be able to focus on the mechanics a bit more.

I can't wait I expect the game to be available worldwide next year. big jump in how things are done.

The Snake

It's crazy to think of people concerned about not having Kiryu around. I love the guy and I'll miss him to some degree, but it's time to let go. They stretched the absolute hell outta that guy's story, which "ended" with each entry.

Top Bottom