• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

hitsugi

I did a factory restore from the new 4.4.3 image on my N5.

All went smoothly except I forgot about my authenticators. What a bitch to set those up. Thankfully I had some backup codes tucked away. I really wish that stuff just synced to google's servers. I never had problems with stuff like that when I used an iPhone. In fact, probably going to switch back to iPhone with the next model, too many wonky things to deal with on Android, bleh.

Anyway, it's running great. Not sure i'm keen enough to notice any display changes if they actually altered it. Seems similar to me.

Forget color calibrations... those can be fixed - what's up with the focus enhancements?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Looks like 4.4.3 didn't fix my radio issue in straight talk at&t LTE disconnecting constantly, guess I'll have to replace it with the 4.4 radio and figure out how to do that.

terrier

Looks like 4.4.3 didn't fix my radio issue in straight talk at&t LTE disconnecting constantly, guess I'll have to replace it with the 4.4 radio and figure out how to do that.

it didn't fix my exchange issues either :(
I'll have to stick to cloudmagic, but, weird that stock email app works on other devices and not my nexus 5

Zoe

I'm on Sprint, but the issue seems to be the phone overriding the manual time zone setting you put in and switching to automatic time zone.

I'm not using the manual setting, and it keeps syncing incorrectly. It woke me up at 2AM this morning instead of 6:00 :\

Laekon

Just posting this as an FYI. After getting in an accident I had the screen replaced only to find out something was wrong with the camera( black spot). Screen cost more than I thought but every placed I called north of LA quoted $170 to $180.

Screen replacement $170
Camera $30

hitsugi

That might be an issue with your settings. I have tons of pictures taken with the N5 camera since November last year and all the daylight/sunlight shots are in the range of 100-103 iso.

I was exaggerating, however since 4.4.2 (?) which is when I believe they "sped up" the shutter by boosting the ISO levels through the roof instead of utilizing OIS, I haven't taken a shot at under 400-ish ISO. Even under fluorescent lighting. Sometimes shots outside in clear day are 1000+

lunchtoast

Was getting
e error in /tmp/update.zip (status 7)
when trying to update. This happened with 4.4.2 also.

Had to flash stock for it to work. It might have been clockwork or titanium backup, not really sure why it always did that. Decided not to install those this time around since I use skipsoft for backups anyways.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Was getting
e error in /tmp/update.zip (status 7)
when trying to update. This happened with 4.4.2 also.

Had to flash stock for it to work. It might have been clockwork or titanium backup, not really sure why it always did that. Decided not to install those this time around since I use skipsoft for backups anyways.

I always get that error when zip flashing. Now I just flash the boot and system image through adb.

HeySeuss

Thinking about getting this phone now that I'm month to month with Verizon. Want to switch to prepaid. My gf has net10/att lte but a couple posts up somebody said there are radio issues with straight talk/att lte which is owned by the same company.

Is it a software issue or just a hiccup that that guy has that isn't normal?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thinking about getting this phone now that I'm month to month with Verizon. Want to switch to prepaid. My gf has net10/att lte but a couple posts up somebody said there are radio issues with straight talk/att lte which is owned by the same company.

Is it a software issue or just a hiccup that that guy has that isn't normal?
IDK it might just be my area it only happened around 4.4.2 but it could be other factors.

Does Google usually announce any new Nexus devices during I/O or another time? My brother hates his phone and wanted a Nexus 5 but I told him to wait and see if there will be a new one this week.

My Nexus 5 went from charging really quickly to charging slowly, as of a month ago. There doesn't seem to be anything strange in the battery stats. It was a sudden drop in charging speed without anything else seeming to change.

Does Google usually announce any new Nexus devices during I/O or another time? My brother hates his phone and wanted a Nexus 5 but I told him to wait and see if there will be a new one this week.
I would expect a new Nexus 7 rather than a phone, judging from past years.

mturco

Generally, no. They didn't this year either. I would expect a Nexus tablet whenever Android 5.0 is released (which is apparently sometime this fall) and a new Nexus phone potentially never if the rumors are to be believed. But if they were going to release another Nexus phone, it'd be in the fall as well (they've been released in late October for 3 years now).

So, in other words, tell him to buy a Nexus 5 now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Here is the 4.4.4 changelog. They finally pushed the update to me a few hours ago. Glad I only had to wait a few days this time, even if the update is fairly inconsequential this time around.

I really wish they would just do it the apple way, where everyone on vanilla android can get the update OTA immediately.

solid mike

Planning to get one soon. If I don't really give a shit about how poor the camera is (I really don't since I close to never take any pictures), I think the Nexus 5 is the best value phone in the market today.

What do you guys think?

mturco

Planning to get one soon. If I don't really give a shit about how poor the camera is (I really don't since I close to never take any pictures), I think the Nexus 5 is the best value phone in the market today.

What do you guys think?
Don't believe what you read about the Nexus 5's camera. Seriously. It's WAY better than it's given credit for.

Rootbeer

Banned
I find the camera more than servicable. I've gotten some nice stuff off of it.

But I don't ask as much out of my camera as some do.

It's better than the camera in my previous phone (iPhone 4s), so that's good enough for me.

tzare

Anyone installed the L developer release? Any impressions?
There are a few in the android thread. Works pretty well but some bugs prevent me for everyday use. Hopefully there will be another release before it officially launches. Feels really nice and stock Android needed a new look, and this one is great.

Yep, did that yesterday and rooted it too.

If anyone wants to go ahead, i'll advise that you make sure to wipe your data before installing L, otherwise you may end up with a semi-bricked phone or many features won't work (lock screen, home button, notifications slider, etc).

I'll start with what's not working:

Google Docs and Google Sheets - Install error from Play store, might be side loaded but I haven't tried it yet. Quick office works though.
Some older apps and widgets may look transparent.

What's good:

Faster and nicer animations.
Boot up time is very fast. (lovely boot animation too)
New notification system.
Battery life slightly better, esp with battery saver mode.
Faster lock screen accessibility to dialer and notifications, missing the lockscreen widgets though.

Waiting for more apps to get tailored for L.

mturco

Here are some of mine.

- Everything feels very, very smooth. This is mostly due to all animations running at 60fps now. It makes a huge difference. Also scrolling is every bit as smooth as iOS now. It's great.

- It's significantly faster in certain areas. It's most noticeable on the new keyboard and in Hangouts (from what I've seen so far).

- The lockscreen is simple and awesome. No widgets anymore but having notifications show up right on the lockscreen is more than worth the loss. Swiping left to get to the dialer is nice but I'd like to be able to change it (Hangouts for example would be nice).

- The notification shade is taking some getting used to. I'm not sure if I like swiping it down twice to get to quick settings.

- There are hardly any apps redesigned for Material Design yet. Kind of a bummer but (obviously) they'll come in time.

- Everything that is already redesigned looks incredible (the keyboard, calculator, settings, popup notifications, recent apps screen, etc).

- Battery saver mode and do not disturb mode are both nice additions. They seem to work well.

Nuklear

Banned

What do you guys think?

If you're just posting to facebook/twitter the camera is really good, imho.

Spinluck

Here are some of mine.

- Everything feels very, very smooth. This is mostly due to all animations running at 60fps now. It makes a huge difference. Also scrolling is every bit as smooth as iOS now. It's great.

- It's significantly faster in certain areas. It's most noticeable on the new keyboard and in Hangouts (from what I've seen so far).

- The lockscreen is simple and awesome. No widgets anymore but having notifications show up right on the lockscreen is more than worth the loss. Swiping left to get to the dialer is nice but I'd like to be able to change it (Hangouts for example would be nice).

- The notification shade is taking some getting used to. I'm not sure if I like swiping it down twice to get to quick settings.

- There are hardly any apps redesigned for Material Design yet. Kind of a bummer but (obviously) they'll come in time.

- Everything that is already redesigned looks incredible (the keyboard, calculator, settings, popup notifications, recent apps screen, etc).

- Battery saver mode and do not disturb mode are both nice additions. They seem to work well.

Sounds good.

Cudder

Is it going to be like how it was with Holo where basically no one made their apps in that design except for Google pretty much?

-PXG-

Bouget a Nexus 5 earlier today. I bricked my GS4 last night. Flashing official firmware with Odin couldn't even fix it. So here I am. I love it so far

Shouta

Anyone with experience charging the phone but using a gamepad or outputting it to a TV at the same time? lol

Hitting up Japan in a few months and I wanted to minimize how much I have to carry. If I can use my phone for a bit of all that, it'd save me the trouble of carrying so much.

Anyone with experience charging the phone but using a gamepad or outputting it to a TV at the same time? lol

Hitting up Japan in a few months and I wanted to minimize how much I have to carry. If I can use my phone for a bit of all that, it'd save me the trouble of carrying so much.

i haven't done it specifically with a Nexus 5, but you can use the Sixaxis Controller or Game Controller 2 Touch (haven't tried it, but apparently it works with the DS4), both of which need root to connect via BT, and that should leave your USB port free for charging or a slimport adapter.

lunchtoast

I don't know if this is a 4.4.4 issue or not but I've noticed having problems resuming audio with my headset. After sometime the pause/resume will stop working. I'll have to turn the screen on and off again to make it work. Same deal with using volume key to skip track.

This is with google music and doggcatcher.

Does anyone here know how long the RMA process takes? I got my Nexus 5 in mid April and it worked fine but in the past month the battery drain has been horrendous. I have restored my phone to factory settings 3 times and I still see 20-30% battery drain overnight. I think that Google will replace it but I have never sent anything back to them.

Top Bottom