• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 7 [OT] - Challenge of the SuperFrauds

Dak isn't playing well enough to justify benching a guy who, the last time he was on the field, was a top 3 QB.

If he plays worse or gets injured again, we've got a proven, reliable back-up. If he plays at 2014 level, we're a better team. The opportunity cost of not giving him a shot is too high.

I don't buy into media narratives about players getting their feelings hurt about being benched for better players, especially not based on what we know about Dak's personality. He ain't no Brock Osweiler.

Damn you I was so set to reply to you with brock when you said the thing about players not gettign their feelings hurt.

Farooq

Banned
Fact #1: Tony Romo is a much better QB than Dak Prescott.

I love Dak but aside from the two throws to end the first half, he didn't play well in that victory last week. 2 fumbles, an INT and a host of bad throws.

If Tony is healthy, start him against the Browns and see what we got.

This voodoo shit about stopping momentum or jinxing this winning streak is garbage.

To add to your post, Tony has what, 2 more (well 1.5) productive seasons left barring injury? I think for this season at least it is a pretty easy decision, you play Tony because he is the better QB and we will get to see if he is as productive as Dak. I mean, Romo was looking really sharp this training camp, better than Dak.

The staff will get to see both in practice, I doubt making the decision will be that hard. We might get a glimpse of the what the coaching staff is thinking once Romo is healthy and we read if he is practicing with the first team or not. Next season though, the decision is a bit more difficult.

Beach

For some reason more than half the country is getting the Raiders vs Jags game Sunday morning. I'm so sorry in advance

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I don't agree that Romo would have this team playing better than Dak. He is boom or bust in terms of drive production/success (3 and out vs a drive that goes somewhere). I don't know if Romo has ever had a string of games like this in his entire career in terms of 8 to 10 minute drives or just the amount of 10+ play drives.

I don't agree that Romo would have this team playing better than Dak. He is boom or bust in terms of drive production/success (3 and out vs a drive that goes somewhere). I don't know if Romo has ever had a string of games like this in his entire career in terms of 8 to 10 minute drives or just the amount of 10+ play drives.

So 2014 never happened?

Greg

Renounce the Patriots.

Admit that they are cheaters and that everything that they did is tainted.

Further admit that Brady and the rest of them are racist Trump supporters.

Do this in writing and get it notarized and I will get you the videogame thing.
I love you

Renounce the Patriots.

brb I am heading to the notary.

jbug617

Banned
Renounce the Patriots.

this is some father-son relationship

There were several drives yesterday that ended because of Dak missing open guys, or turning the ball over.

We were 3rd in time of possession last year, it doesn't mean much. The main difference this year is our secondary is much better and we are generating turnovers.

levious

Oh I agree that this past week was Dak's worst game, and I dont understand why it was that game that seemed to turn the media opinion completely in his favor. Just the whole Green Bay lore.

ToP means something if your are getting into scoring position. I agree that it alone does not mean much.

Pepiope

Dak isn't playing well enough to justify benching a guy who, the last time he was on the field, was a top 3 QB.

If he plays worse or gets injured again, we've got a proven, reliable back-up. If he plays at 2014 level, we're a better team. The opportunity cost of not giving him a shot is too high.

I don't buy into media narratives about players getting their feelings hurt about being benched for better players, especially not based on what we know about Dak's personality. He ain't no Brock Osweiler.
2014? That's way back when A-Rod was a good QB.

It did, and it was his best year, and he threw the ball less than any other season. And he still managed numerous 3 and outs while protecting a lead.

And that was one season.

The entire point of 2014 was to run the ball, churn out yards and minimize exposure to their defense which was god awful, exactly what they are doing now except Romo is a far more accurate/better passer than Dak has been. I'm still on the 'Start Romo' bandwagon,

His time away from the field is a valid concern. However, that's why god created the Cleveland Browns. You can have a scrimmage in the middle of the season.

That too...Browns are perfect team to start him with...

I won't forget this...
maxresdefault.jpg

levious

Let's not forget how 2014 ended. 4th and short, best run game in the league and he audibles to a deep pass.

Then let's look at how he got himself injured this preseason. Scrambling out of the pocket, tries to slide while behind the line of scrimmage instead of just throwing it out of bounds? Those two plays are pretty much his decision making summed up nicely.

Bread

Banned
Renounce the Patriots.

i would do this

Pepiope

His time away from the field is a valid concern. However, that's why god created the Cleveland Browns. You can have a scrimmage in the middle of the season.
This is true. It's why starting Wentz week 1 was so perfect. I wish him nothing but failure.

bionic77

Oh I agree that this past week was Dak's worst game, and I dont understand why it was that game that seemed to turn the media opinion completely in his favor. Just the whole Green Bay lore.

ToP means something if your are getting into scoring position. I agree that it alone does not mean much.
Most casuals and analysts have not seen Rodgers play in awhile so they think he is still the best.

Gata the offer stands. When you are a good person good things come your way. By supporting the Pats you won't get shit. At best you will get Trump as President.

Let's not forget how 2014 ended. 4th and short, best run game in the league and he audibles to a deep pass.

Then let's look at how he got himself injured this preseason. Scrambling out of the pocket, tries to slide while behind the line of scrimmage instead of just throwing it out of bounds? Those two plays are pretty much his decision making summed up nicely.

I've always loved the breakdown of what Romo was thinking on that play, if you agree or disagree on the ruling is another matter but I think that was a good call.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/165551/tony-romo-breaks-down-fourth-down-pass-to-dez-bryant

And Romo had 4 - 4th quarter comebacks and 5 game winning drives that year, Dak hasn't had to come back against teams like that because the defense has been much better than they were back in 2014. He also had 34 TDs (second highest career total) and only 9 Int (tied for 2nd career lowest) and he had his highest completion percentage that year with 69.9

Let us break this down a bit more:

Dallas in 2014 was
11th in 1st down
3rd with 7.5 Yards Per Attempt
205 passing 1st downs to 106 rushing first downs
3rd with 4.6 yards Per Rush
Scored on 43.6 percent of drives (3rd in the league)
13th in plays per game at 5.83
3rd in avg drive time with 2.56 min per drive
6th in Yards per game with 34.1
2nd in points per game with 2.49

This tells me that Romo was more vital to scoring drives/keeping drives alive than the rushing game. The offense was either above average or top 5 in most categories. You are right though that Romo threw for less passes with only 476 Att (31st in the league) but like I said that was by design, to prolong drives and give the defense rest, not because Romo wasn't good or couldn't put the team on his back, which he did all season long.

Doomsayer

Stats from 2014 are great, but the most important stats are Games Played, and in the past two years Romo has played 4 games. He is 36 coming off multiple surgeries, back surgeries at that.

I don't expect him to be as effective or to stay healthy when he needs to move around. Romo has always been very dependent on his ability to move in the pocket, without that shifty-ness I doubt he is anywhere as good as he's been in the past. Dak is the QB of the future, let him do his thing.

Stats from 2014 are great, but the most important stats are Games Played, and in the past two years Romo has played 4 games. He is 36 coming off multiple surgeries, back surgeries at that.

I don't expect him to be as effective or to stay healthy when he needs to move around. Romo has always been very dependent on his ability to move in the pocket, without that shifty-ness I doubt he is anywhere as good as he's been in the past. Dak is the QB of the future, let him do his thing.

Which is why the NFL JV squad the Browns are a perfect team to play him in.

Doomsayer

Which is why the NFL JV squad the Browns are a perfect team to play him in.

I know everyone likes to shit on the Browns but they still have people who can hit the QB. Romo still scrambles. Look at the hit he took from Bennett, it wasn't even hard. It was awkward, you're going to take 4-5 hits like that a game. I don't trust his ability to stay upright.

JABEE

If you could make a deal with the devil whereby your favorite team will win this years Super Bowl, but Donald Trump wins the presidency, would you do it? Also how quickly would Bionic say yes?

No.

Donald Trump is a valued member of the Patriots. This is where I draw the line.

levious

This tells me that Romo was more vital to scoring drives/keeping drives alive than the rushing game.

Depends, how many of those passing 1st downs were on 2nd or 3rd and less than five after successful run plays, or how many were on play action and fueled by the run? My old football sensibility says the easiest 3rd down conversion is a short pass play after two positive runs. So you should have more passing convetsions than runs. Certainly you can't do that exclusively but it's the basis for sustaining long drives when your qb is not brady or manning.

To be clear, I do not think Romo is garbage. His career has been an incredible success story. But it probably should be over. At least as a starter.

Bitanator

That is bullshit and you know it, sounds like an ESPN insider hot take of shit.

I know everyone likes to shit on the Browns but they still have people who can hit the QB. Romo still scrambles. Look at the hit he took from Bennett, it wasn't even hard. It was awkward, you're going to take 4-5 hits like that a game. I don't trust his ability to stay upright.

I see that point and it's concerning but that's the risk you take, obviously if Romo feels he can't get back out there then he should just retire.

Depends, how many of those passing 1st downs were on 2nd or 3rd and less than five after successful run plays, or how many were on play action and fueled by the run? My old football sensibility says the easiest 3rd down conversion is a short pass play after two positive runs. So you should have more passing convetsions than runs. Certainly you can't do that exclusively but it's the basis for sustaining long drives when your qb is not brady or manning.

To be clear, I do not think Romo is garbage. His career has been an incredible success story. But it probably should be over. At least as a starter.

That's far more in depth then I have time to get into but I watched all Cowboy games and I remember he was a big reason it was working so well. Anyways I know I'm in the minority in thinking he should start, it's up to the football gods now.

Bitanator

I don't see how that statement is at all scathing.

2014 Dallas was near top in third down percentage, they strung together long drives all year, in December when Murray was struggling Romo used his arm to decimate every team they played. It is not scathing, it is bullshit. This offense is built on the intermediate passes, and play action opening up for the big plays that are there to take, the O line gives them the opportunities to run for six yards on first down nearly every play making it easier to sustain long drives, time of possession Dallas has been like top three for three years, last year this offense had long drives most of the time and came away with no points. Dak is executing the gameplan really well but shows his limitations, Romo will allow the offense to be function even better, it is silly to say otherwise.

Top Bottom