• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

cajunator

Banned
I just kind of wish the Saints had a defense to help Brees out a little bit instead of him having to play at 110% every game just to win the game. Those 40 yard bombs over the defense and TD runs straight up the gut are fucking killing me to watch. I don't think he has had a legitimate defense and hardly ever a running game. but the defense isnt just a bad defense, it is often close to historically awful. theres no fucking excuse for it. There is a lot of money tied up in that defense too its not just being neglected. We keep getting busts.

Greg

Never finished the demo either, didn't play Bioshock 1 or 2 but Infinite looks reall interesting to me. To bad I have no system to play it on right now
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. And I doubt my PC would be able to do it justice.

I'm going to imagine it sucks and feel better about not playing the series.

JABEE

They will be better based on what body of work?? And you would pay Peyton and Brady 120 million over the next 6 years??

Right now I think they are more deserving of a max contract. They are better quarterbacks than Joe Flacco. I think Tom Brady will take a step back this year. Nothing Joe Flacco has done has made me think he is a top 5 quarterback.

mr2xxx

Banned
Blarry not being black seems to be one of the biggest controversies of the year so far, I already knew he wasn't though.

A big deal was made about it last year when he showed pictures of his kids. People probably thought a crazed black man kidnapped some innocent white children.

Draxal

Ogletree had an impressive pro-day from what I was reading earlier. Jerry Reese was on hand personally for it as well. He ran a 4.6 40 time and doing well in the drills.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl...ew-york-giants-alec-ogletreee-georgia-pro-day

I honestly think he was looking at Jenkins, as the primary target there. Don't think they can keep Linval Joseph (he'll probably go to the Redskins like all our DTs do).

Did you see Colin's BBI draft thread?

xnipx

Flacco was a terrible 4th and 29 play away from missing the playoffs. I agree that he was great in the playoffs last season, but he is average at best in the regular season. I wouldnt give that much money to a guy that you cant count on in the regular season. Him being great in the playoffs doesnt do you any good if you are sitting home watching them.

So we're gonna pretend the bengals game that flacco sat out didn't happen? Ok cool lol you're totally right. The ravens miss the playoffs if they lose the charger game

Dragon

Banned
So we're gonna pretend the bengals game that flacco sat out didn't happen? Ok cool lol you're totally right. The ravens miss the playoffs if they lose the charger game

Should we pretend that they didn't lose to Pittsburgh with shitacular QBs in for Big Ben? Flacco has more to prove.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=467972&thread_page=1

He thinks Giant's go Dend, but if Cooper drops, there's a good chance the Giants snatch him up. (He also likes Cooper better than Warmack, but doesn't think Warmack will drop).
Yep. I'm of the same belief.

Good thread. Carradine is mentioned several times and I agree he's a definite sleeper for the Giants at 19. Been mocked to us at a few places as well.

Thought this was some good commentary:

At the same time, Werner and Damontre Moore are out there and are something of wild cards. Werner likely would have to be in the mix if he were there at #19, but again its worrisome because it means he would have fallen from #2 overall less than 6 weeks ago not because the Giants were lucky but because other teams have real concerns about his lack of prototype length and explosion for an edge rusher. Moore is even more of an enigma. On tape he looks like a top 5 guy; he’s long, slippery and relentless, but there’s that 4.95 business and you wonder how a 250-pound guy with that kind of speed is going to beat quality NFL OTs on a consistent basis. Plus with Moore you wonder if he fits what the Giants are probably looking for in a DE - he’s not very physical against the run and will never be able to slide inside on passing downs - such that one wonders that the Giants might actually have passed even if he ran a 4.60. Bottom line I’d really like to be able to tell people where these guys are worth or where they are going to go, but I’d be lying because I don’t think anybody really knows at this point.

squicken

Ogletree had an impressive pro-day from what I was reading earlier. Jerry Reese was on hand personally for it as well. He ran a 4.6 40 time and doing well in the drills.
:

Really like his game but getting a DUI right before the Combine ... I really wish we could get some idea what is wrong with Kelce. It's odd there aren't even rumors on what he did. Seems like the best true Y TE in the draft, but how do you know if he is even draftable until you know his issues?

Really like his game but getting a DUI right before the Combine ...
From the same thread Draxal posted:

We actually had the Giants taking him at #19 in a couple of our earlier mocks, but not so much now; he’s a converted safety who isn’t going to be that physical at the point of attack, but he is very quick, aggressive and explosive, although I really expected him to run in the 4.55 range, so that 4.7 at the combine was a disappointment; the big issue with Ogletree though is maturity or lack thereof; we have been told that he came across as one of the most immature kids teams have ever interviewed at the combine, which ain’t good when you have a bunch of off-field issues on your docket. Bottom line kid is one of those ‘million dollar talents with a 5-cent brain’ who could go almost anywhere in the first couple of days at this year’s draft and it wouldn’t surprise me if the Giants took him off their board entirely.

bionic77

Should we pretend that they didn't lose to Pittsburgh with shitacular QBs in for Big Ben? Flacco has more to prove.
The Steelers know how to play Flacco.

Hell somehow I know how to slow him down and yet several geniuses in the playoffs played him exactly the wrong way.

Flacco's game is still very one dimensional. If you take away the dumpoffs to Rice and the long bombs he is not accurate or smart enough to dink his way down the field. Boldin was his one possession receiver and I wonder how much he is going to suffer since they let him walk. To his credit he is seemingly the one qb I have seen that has mastered drawing pass INT calls on under thrown balls to the point where it has to be intentional and it is almost an artform at this point.

He also has a very good deep pass. Probably as good as anyone else.

But it honestly isn't that hard to take away those things. Which is what was shocking at how poorly the Niners defense seemed to be prepared. They played him the worst possible way. It is ok to dare a female like Tom Brady to beat you deep, but a guy like Flacco is going to make you pay.

Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
The Rapist
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning

edit: And since Flacco has joined?

Kurt Warner
Brent

Ben's under contract for 3 more years. He'll be 34 at that point, I doubt he sees another big contract. Though there are some rumors that he may get some kind of extension after this season. Don't know, guess it depends on how the season goes. But with the way Ben plays, I don't see him playing much past the age of 34 or 35.

bionic77

Ben's under contract for 3 more years. He'll be 34 at that point, I doubt he sees another big contract. Though there are some rumors that he may get some kind of extension after this season. Don't know, guess it depends on how the season goes. But with the way Ben plays, I don't see him playing much past the age of 34 or 35.
I think we are lucky he has made it to 32.

squicken

From the same thread Draxal posted:

Man I am so jealous of that BBI board. All I know of Rams fans are the Kool-Aid type on Twitter

On LZ's writeup of Kelce, he said he made comments on his Combine interviews that gave teams even further concerns on his character. I'm sure Bob McGinn will eventually get it all out there. Don't think either guy is on STL's board. Fisher has said they are full up on nut cases

effzee

Flacco was a terrible 4th and 29 play away from missing the playoffs. I agree that he was great in the playoffs last season, but he is average at best in the regular season. I wouldnt give that much money to a guy that you cant count on in the regular season. Him being great in the playoffs doesnt do you any good if you are sitting home watching them.

And Eli is one miracle catch and one monumental INT drop away from being 0-2 in the SB. Oh and one of those runs was off of a 9-7 season.

Every single guy who wins the SB has some luck along the way. What does it matter what his regular season #s are? His post season #s are great. All I heard was how the Ravens D is more reputation than actually as good as it used to be. Some of the credit has to go to Flacco. He played out his mind the last few games of the season and then all the way to the SB win. If he doesn't deserve it then when then? He is young entering the prime of his playing days, can only improve, and they already know he can and will perform under pressure on the biggest stage.

With what you and others are arguing no QB should take the max contract because regardless of you how you determine they deserve it, it obviously has the same result across the team.

As for the players they lost, only Boldin is gone from the offense. The rest were from a defense which everyone claimed was no longer good. Ellerbie and Kruger might become great players but their teams might have just overpaid them. Especially Kruger. Reed is a shell of his glory days. Pollard keeps getting bounced from every team he goes to. Ray retired. Cary Williams was a starter and I hope to god he becomes a real player for us but he isn't considered a great CB.

If they lost some of these players 3-5 seasons ago I could see the panic. If NFL contracts were iron clad team handicapping guarantees I could see the worry. But they just won a SB because of, not in spite of, Flacco. Now its Ozzie's job to step up to the plate, draft, and rebuild.

I predict if they aren't back in the playoffs this coming season they definitely will be the following season.

Eli lost to the Vince Young led dream team Eagles team. I guess this means Eli sucks too!

Draxal

Man I am so jealous of that BBI board. All I know of Rams fans are the Kool-Aid type on Twitter

On LZ's writeup of Kelce, he said he made comments on his Combine interviews that gave teams even further concerns on his character. I'm sure Bob McGinn will eventually get it all out there. Don't think either guy is on STL's board. Fisher has said they are full up on nut cases

Oh BBI's a madhouse, there's alot of trash, but the webmaster is good friends with the Giant's organization and reporters, so there's some good shit there as well.

If new Eagles coach Chip Kelly adopts some of the strategies he was using at Oregon, the Eagles will begin coveting “longer” players. Kelly's NCAA teams were known for their speed and stamina but Oregon was also recruiting taller players across the board, particularly on defense where he made length a priority with a recent change in philosophy. Some people around the league believe the Eagles will begin seeking taller players on that side of the ball.

I think he has the right idea.

effzee

I think he has the right idea.

Yeah in his interviews from the owners meetings he emphasized that he just wants good players but does look for bigger and taller players because simply put they beat up the smaller guys.

Basically he wants athletic freaks who are big, strong, and conditioned for the type of tempo he wants. I am assuming size won't be as much a factor at the skill positions but OLINE, DLINE, and the rest of the D will have to be physical.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hate football ages....even Rodgers is 29 and will turn 30 this year. We will be lucky to get more than 6 more seasons with him.

Top Bottom