• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL votes to move the St. Louis Rams to Los Angeles for the 2016 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldman Sachs and probably others are still willing to loan Spanos the money to become an equal partner; paying for half the stadium & other development, including the relocation fee.

Update:
https://twitter.com/Alex_Flanagan/status/687405461528784896

From what I understand the offer is either:

a) Partner in the stadium ONLY

b) Tenant in the stadium

The reason Spanos hasn't jumped on it is because 1, he doesn't have the money and 2, he probably wants a bigger piece than just a part of the stadium but he's not likely to get it from Kroenke.

RBH

Former Minnesota Vikings owner Red McCombs said in a radio interview that San Antonio is ready if the Oakland Raiders decide to move to the city and that he is even willing to invest in the team if needed.

McCombs, an 88-year-old billionaire, said in a radio interview with ESPN San Antonio on Wednesday that he talked to Raiders owner Mark Davis on Tuesday after the team withdrew its application to relocate to Los Angeles.

According to Bleacher Report, Davis owns land in the San Antonio area where he could build a stadium.

McCombs said San Antonio has "several locations that would work" to build a stadium and that he has 12 corporate sponsors lined up with "serious commitments." Now he has to convince Davis that moving his team to Texas is the right move for the franchise.

"He was born and raised there, and he has a great feeling for the state of California," McCombs said of Davis. "But it appears he is going to need to go somewhere."

McCombs said he would be amenable to buying into the Raiders if that's what it would take to get the team to play in San Antonio.

"We would be happy to be investors if that what he wants," he said. "We have investors lined up if that what he wants. If he wants to keep it all to himself, that's OK too."

The San Francisco Chronicle said Davis declined to comment about a potential future in San Antonio.

The Raiders would need league approval to relocate to San Antonio, but McCombs said he doesn't believe that would be withheld because of the team's troubles securing a new stadium in Oakland.

On Tuesday in Houston, NFL owners approved Rams owner Stan Kroenke's plan to relocate his team from St. Louis to the site of the old Hollywood Park racetrack in Inglewood, California, about 10 miles from downtown L.A. The Chargers have a yearlong option to join the Rams, followed by the Raiders if the San Diego franchise declines.

After his team was denied its bid to move to Los Angeles, Davis said he didn't know where his team would play next season.

"We don't have a lease right now at the Oakland Coliseum," he said. "America, the world is a possibility for the Raider Nation."

In 2014, Davis traveled to San Antonio to meet with area leaders and scout the area.

McCombs said if Davis "does decide to go somewhere we want him to decide to come here."

"What happened yesterday (Tuesday) in Houston was absolutely the greatest thing that could happen to us short of getting somebody committed to come in here, because that cleared the runway to where now he can make his decision and go anywhere he wants to," McCombs said.

The Raiders have been a franchise since 1959, the year the old American Football League came into being. The franchise has been in the Davis family since Mark's father, Al, became coach and general manager of the Raiders in 1963.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14572902/red-mccombs-trying-lure-oakland-raiders-san-antonio

Fitts

San Antonio's really rolling out the red carpet for the Raiders. I don't want them to leave Cali, but it would be kind of amazing if they set up shop in Jerry Jones' backyard after what transpired with the LA deal and even more amazing if Mark followed in Al's shoes by circumventing the league altogether.

RBH

CYynnYAUsAIoHch.jpg:large

The Rams are returning to Los Angeles and they haven't wasted any time embracing their rediscovered Southern California identity.

The Rams revealed their new logo Friday during the team's L.A. introductory news conference at The Forum in Inglewood.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...uring-la-news-conference?campaign=Twitter_atn

Dishwalla

Banned
They still need to change the Facebook page. And Wikipedia has been flip flopping between St. Louis Rams and Los Angeles Rams ever since the announcement was made a couple days ago.

RBH

la-rams-inglewood-stadium-project.jpg

The Inglewood Stadium, the future home of the Los Angeles Rams, will possess a videoboard that is twice the length of the Dallas Cowboys’ at AT&T Stadium, reports SportsBusiness Journal’s Don Muret.

The scoreboard, which will be called the “Oculus,” will reportedly be an oval, two-sided structure that is 50 feet tall, while stretching 120 yards in length.

“It’s an immersive experience,” HKS associate principal & senior vice president Andy Henning said. “You will feel like you’re sitting in the videoboard itself.”

The stadium is projected to open in 2019 and is also expected to be the future home of the NFL scouting combine, according to the Los Angeles Times.
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/15/los-angeles-rams-inglewood-stadium-project-videoboard?xid=si_social

jblank83

From what I understand the offer is either:

a) Partner in the stadium ONLY

b) Tenant in the stadium

The reason Spanos hasn't jumped on it is because 1, he doesn't have the money and 2, he probably wants a bigger piece than just a part of the stadium but he's not likely to get it from Kroenke.

Right. The Spanos family is only worth $1.7 billion. The cost of buying into the stadium would be $1 billion. The NFL relocation fee would be $550 million. He doesn't get any cut of uses of the stadium outside football games (no concert profits, no soccer profits, no anything). He also doesn't get to profit from the redevelopment going on around the stadium, all of which land Kroenke snapped up (after Spanos told him about all that land waiting to be redeveloped).

If I had to guess, I'd say he'll run back to San Diego with his tail between his legs and hope for a profitable solution there. Being a real estate billionaire, San Diego can easily win him over by throwing him some scraps in the redevelopment around the Qualcomm site, a couple of hotels or whatever, far less than he originally wanted (miles upon miles of free land to develop as he wished).

Or maybe he swallows his pride and sinks his entire family fortune and tries to fight against the Rams for the lion's share of the juicy L.A. media market. We'll find out soon enough, given the deadline for reupping on the Qualcomm lease.

RBH

What's the point of bringing them back to LA if they won't go back to the yellow and blue. Or even white and blue?

It's probably past the deadline to submit a logo/uniform change to the NFL for the 2016 season, hence why the Rams logo/colors are still the same in the meantime.

I'd expect new jerseys/logo either in 2017 or when the new stadium opens.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Wait so in America teams can just move locations to somewhere more profitable, leaving their home fanbase behind? And they threaten to do this all the time? How is this allowed?

I'd take soccer's 'uncompetitive leagues' over this any day.

Wait so in America teams can just move locations to somewhere more profitable, leaving their home fanbase behind? And they threaten to do this all the time? How is this allowed?

They just need the approval of the other NFL owners (a certain percentage, I don't remember) which almost always happens.

The Rams actually started in LA, and then moved to St Louis in the 90s and now are moving back to LA.

Sandfox

It happens very rarely.

I mean what do you mean "allowed?" It is for sure shitty. And it's driven by nothing other than money 99% of the time and billion dollar owners pushing taxpayers to foot a lot of the bill. It's a crappy situation.

But otherwise the franchise is free to do whatever it wants within the rules of the league. Unless they have a lease agreement with a stadium in a particular area.

RBH

The Rams will maintain temporary offices and a practice facility at the team's current Rams Park facility in St. Louis until they can build a more permanent home.

And while the Rams haven't finalized a location in Los Angeles for immediate use, general manager Les Snead said the hope is that the team can be up and running in time to hold offseason workouts in Los Angeles once they are scheduled to begin in April.

COO Kevin Demoff confirmed several other details of the move, saying the Rams will play the upcoming season downtown at the Coliseum, their home from 1946 to '79. They'll start selling tickets Monday at prices comparable to last year's rates in St. Louis.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14578437/stan-kroenke-emotional-discussing-rams-move-los-angeles

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I mean what do you mean "allowed?" It is for sure shitty. And it's driven by nothing other than money 99% of the time and billion dollar owners pushing taxpayers to foot a lot of the bill. It's a crappy situation.

But otherwise the franchise is free to do whatever it wants within the rules of the league. Unless they have a lease agreement with a stadium in a particular area.
By allowed I guess I mean more like accepted? For example if for some reason Manchester United went bust, leaving a hole in that market and Chelsea decided London is too crowded/expensive/their stadium is too small, they would never consider moving there. The fans wouldn't accept it. Who would the new fans be? Would the people in the city it moved to suddenly become fans of that team? What about centuries of tradition? It all seems really bizarre.

And you guys are saying it's rare - I'm sure it is - but I see three 'threats' of it in this thread alone: Rams, Chargers, Raiders.

By allowed I guess I mean more like accepted? For example if for some reason Manchester United went bust, leaving a hole in that market and Chelsea decided London is too crowded/expensive/their stadium is too small, they would never consider moving there. The fans wouldn't accept it. Who would the new fans be? Would the people in the city it moved to suddenly become fans of that team? What about centuries of tradition? It all seems really bizarre.

And you guys are saying it's rare - I'm sure it is - but I see three 'threats' of it in this thread alone: Rams, Chargers, Raiders.

The fans usually don't like it. It's mostly done so the owners can get richer. In this case because LA is the second biggest TV market and it doesn't have an NFL team. It also has tons of corporations who will buy suites/sponsorships which is where the real money is made.

RBH

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported Tuesday that USC plans to let the Rams play their home games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. According to NFL Media's Rand Getlin, the school will spend roughly $270 million to make necessary upgrades to the venue.

Getlin also provided some artist renderings of what the L.A. Coliseum would look like when completed.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke proposed the Inglewood stadium, and it's expected to be completed by 2019.

The renovations to the Coliseum could help the Rams in the short term, benefit USC football in the long term and put the city in a better position to host the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Los Angeles is the United States' official bid city for the event, and in its bid book, L.A. outlined how the Coliseum would serve as the main Olympic venue. USC was setting a goal of $500 million in funding for renovations, while the Olympic organizing committee would set aside a further $300 million.

In October, USC earmarked the $270 million for Coliseum renovations via private funding. The target date of completion is 2019, just when the Rams would be leaving, so the school might want to push that ahead with the NFL now in town.

Included in the renovations would be new seats throughout the stadium, infrastructure improvements and a new cluster of suites, club seats and a press box on the south side.

"We are committed to providing our players, coaches and fans with one of the best facilities in the nation," USC athletic director Pat Haden said in the school's official press release in October.

"This needed renovation to a stadium built in 1923 will ensure that the game-day experience gives all fans options to enjoy the stadium's new amenities while recognizing the loyalty of our longtime fans. It also will provide our football team with a first-class facility and a home-field advantage."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

1100x619

1100x619

1100x619

1100x619

Weevilone

Even though they don't actually make good on their threats, whoever isn't getting their way is always threatening to move.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, I see Steve Ross can't keep his buffoonery limited to his own franchise, he has to mouth off with stupid remarks about others as well. Shut the hell up you senile fool.

I give him credit for keeping Chip Kelly as far away from the Dolphins as possible, though.

lol Niners.

Kroenke is probably going to coast these next 3 years and do a big blowout/refresh in 2019 with a new stadium, new (old) colors and maybe even add some star power to the roster/coaching staff/front office. Bill Simmons made a good point on his podcast that Los Angeles is such a hugely populated area and full of so many transplants that you can probably get by selling tickets to fans of opposing teams. Granted that would suck for the Rams players and fans to be outnumbered in their own stadium, but a dollar is a dollar. This has happened several times this year in San Diego.

Kroenke is probably going to coast these next 3 years and do a big blowout/refresh in 2019 with a new stadium, new (old) colors and maybe even add some star power to the roster/coaching staff/front office. Bill Simmons made a good point on his podcast that Los Angeles is such a hugely populated area and full of so many transplants that you can probably get by selling tickets to fans of opposing teams. Granted that would suck for the Rams players and fans to be outnumbered in their own stadium, but a dollar is a dollar. This has happened several times this year in San Diego.

Pfft San Diego fans have been getting drowned out by opposing fans for years now.

Nevasleep

It's happened in the UK too, Wimbeldon moving to Milton Keynes to be MK dons.

Klotera

Wow, I don't like the guy but that quote.. What a sleazy bastard.. the $8B victim.

He also said he was "thrust into an untenable situation".... He chose to buy the team. Shahid Khan had an agreement to buy the team and Kroenke exercised his right of first refusal (as minority owner) to match the offer. Khan would have kept them where they are. He's doing that in Jacksonville, pouring his own money into the stadium upgrades. Kroenke bought the team for one reason... To move to LA.

He also said he was "thrust into an untenable situation".... He chose to buy the team. Shahid Khan had an agreement to buy the team and Kroenke exercised his right of first refusal (as minority owner) to match the offer. Khan would have kept them where they are. He's doing that in Jacksonville, pouring his own money into the stadium upgrades. Kroenke bought the team for one reason... To move to LA.

He probably had this in mind when he helped move them from LA in the first place, knowing Georgia wouldn't be around forever.

Teams stink got no lower tier league to drop their asses in, so moving them sounds better..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom