• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ngozi, Marvel's newest superhero was inspired by Nigeria's chibok girls.

Slayven

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-inspire-marvels-new-superhero-idUSKCN1BH1HG
Ngozi.jpg

aht3oejani91ioewyuht.png

IMove over Captain America and watch out Wonder Woman, here comes Ngozi: a teenage superheroine inspired by Nigeria’s kidnapped Chibok girls who fights evil in Lagos, marking a new chapter in diversity for Marvel Comics.

Ngozi is the star of new title “Blessing in Disguise”, the first Marvel story to be set in a real-life African country - Nigeria’s commercial capital - and feature a Nigerian superhero.

The character stems from the high-profile abduction of about 220 schoolgirls in Chibok in northeast Nigeria in 2014 by the militant group Boko Haram, and the comic’s author hopes the teenage superhero will resonate with girls across the country.

“It was an important decision for me to base Ngozi on the one of the Chibok girls,” Nnedi Okorafor, an award-winning Nigeria-American writer, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

The Chibok abduction sparked international outrage and became the most infamous act by the Islamist Boko Haram group which has killed 20,000 people and uprooted at least 2 million in a brutal eight-year campaign that shows no sign of ending.

“They were normal girls who suddenly had to deal with a huge change in their lives ... and their story of perseverance is so powerful,” Okorafor added. “Like many Nigerian girls, Ngozi comes in a small package but is strong-willed and determined.”

Important bit in the article for those interested in reading the comic:

The short story is part of Marvel's ”Venomverse" comic, published on Wednesday, which sees Ngozi appear alongside well-established Marvel characters from Venom to the Black Panther.

Nice initiative by the writer.

Unrelated, but I love how every article about comic-books either starts with "Boom, Pow, Zap!" or a variation on "Move over, famous superhero!"

mreddie

Okay, Marvel, you have my attention again.

Don't fuck it up.

It's a alternate universe where she gets the symbiote and Black Panthers dies by Rhino.

It's cool to see this but this is coming at a time where the diverse books in Marvel's line are getting smoked by stupidity and sales.

Died they give her the main Venom symbiote (are there multiple of it running around?)? If so, the unfortunately, don't expect her to stay around indefinitely.

I think this is part of Venomverse, so alternate universe version of Venom.

Yep, and unlike Venom!Punisher, Rocket, Old Man Logan, All-New Wolverine, another Black Panther etc she doesn't look like she'll be part of the main book so this is it for her until someone goes AU surfing since Marvel aren't announcing a Venoms/Web Warriors book.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I really want to get more into comics and give money to Marvel for their efforts to be more diverse, but it's so god damn hard to figure out where to start, haha. I'll keep an eye on this one though and hopefully I can grab a copy.

mreddie

Man, I really want to get more into comics and give money to Marvel for their efforts to be more diverse, but it's so god damn hard to figure out where to start, haha. I'll keep an eye on this one though and hopefully I can grab a copy.

This is a side story a from book tie in to a mini event.

Yeah...

MartyStu

What do you think you would like to read?

What interests you? We can get you started pretty easily.

Tizoc

Wait hold up
Is she talking to the symbiote? I thought that wasnt possible tho i am vaguely basing this off what i read in ellis' thunderbolts

Slayven

Wait hold up
Is she talking to the symbiote? I thought that wasnt possible tho i am vaguely basing this off what i read in ellis' thunderbolts

Symbiotes always talk to their hosts. I think you are refering to Flash Venom where the symbiote was lobotomized.

Delio

Yep, and unlike Venom!Punisher, Rocket, Old Man Logan, All-New Wolverine, another Black Panther etc she doesn't look like she'll be part of the main book so this is it for her until someone goes AU surfing since Marvel aren't announcing a Venoms/Web Warriors book.

Is that a T-rex Venom?

Wait hold up

Bendis retconned all "evil symbiote" stories from pre-Secret Wars to be lies, tricks etc(there was a whole story with their planet invading Earth so...). His real symbiotes were a peaceful race that kept galactic peace. They only go bad if corrupted by their hosts. Venom was corrupted by Deadpool(who was retconned to have been in the original Secret War and tried on the symbiote before Peter entered the room looking for a new costume), Spider-Man and Eddie.

They usually talk with their hosts unless they're controlled or pretty much fused to them.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
What do you think you would like to read?

What interests you? We can get you started pretty easily.

I wanted to read the Black Panther comics before the movie comes out, but when I started looking into it there was like 3 separate series. I ended up buying the "Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet" compilation books, but when I started reading the first book, it seemed like the story line was taking place well after what's going to happen in the movies, so I stopped, haha. Are there any comics that take place before or during what's supposed to be in the movie?

Other than that, I like space settings like Guardians of the Galaxy and I liked the Avengers movies

Are there any books about heroes that are not zeroes, and tough as nails when all else fails?

Stop making Jim Lee cry.

I wanted to read the Black Panther comics before the movie comes out, but when I started looking into it there was like 3 separate series. I ended up buying the "Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet" compilation books, but when I started reading the first book, it seemed like the story line was taking place well after what's going to happen in the movies, so I stopped, haha. Are there any comics that take place before or during what's supposed to be in the movie?

Other than that, I like space settings like Guardians of the Galaxy and I liked the Avengers movies

Black Panther: The Client by Christopher Priest is what you need.
Best space superhero book in years is Omega Men but that's DC.

The Black Panther run by Christopher Priest generally works well as an introduction to the character and is highly regarded. Jumping into comics there will usually be a few things that happened recently that may be referenced but yeah, the Coates run begins after a major Marvel even that Black Panther was heavily involved in, so it begins with a little bit of baggage from previous books.

KingV

Bendis retconned all "evil symbiote" stories from pre-Secret Wars to be lies, tricks etc(there was a whole story with their planet invading Earth so...). His real symbiotes were a peaceful race that kept galactic peace. They only go bad if corrupted by their hosts. Venom was corrupted by Deadpool(who was retconned to have been in the original Secret war and tried on the symbiote before Peter entered the room looking for a new costume), Spider-Man and Eddie.

They usually talk with their hosts unless they're controlled or pretty much fused to them.

Wait, deadpool having the symbiote is canon?! I always assumed that was a stupid elseworlds deadpool story like (dead pool kills marvel, or whatever).

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Black Panther: The Client by Christopher Priest is what you need.
Best space superhero book in years is Omega Men but that's DC.

The Black Panther run by Christopher Priest generally works well as an introduction to the character and is highly regarded. Jumping into comics there will usually be a few things that happened recently that may be referenced but yeah, the Coates run begins after a major Marvel even that Black Panther was heavily involved in, so it begins with a little bit of baggage from previous books.

Oh dang, back to back recommendations for the same series! I'll definitely have to look into this one then. Thanks for the recommendation

Mesoian

Hmm.

Well, I hope it's a good spinoff story then. Kind of disappointed by it's lack of permanence, but then...it doesn't seem like most of the more progressive books have much permanence these days.

Sesha

That is more stupidly awesome than anything in Axe Cop, Atomic Robo, The Goon and Nextwave put together.

Top Bottom