• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL referee caught on live mic making up penalty vs. Predators

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As a hockey fan, everyone knows this happens. Refs dick around with penalties to make a point or even things out. Just a matter of catching refs doing it. Turns out refs were hot micced and didn't know it.

The said thing is the TV producers/editors running the telecasts know about this shit, but I guess they just want to focus on the game and not spill beans about other ugly shit they hear during games.

Referee caught on live mic wanting to assign make-up call vs. Predators​

Thomas Williams
·Hockey writer
Tue., March 23, 2021, 10:46 p.m.·2 min read

They said the quiet part out loud.

In Tuesday night’s game between the Nashville Predators and Detroit Red Wings, as the broadcast was heading to commercial, one referee was caught on a live microphone explaining how he wanted to penalize the Predators to, presumably, create a more even match.

"It wasn't much but I wanted to get a f—in' penalty against Nashville early in the...” and then the poor producer cut it off just as it was getting good.

Assuming that the referee was discussing the most recent penalty, this was regarding a Viktor Arvidsson trip of Red Wings defenseman Jon Merrill just under five minutes into the second period.

It is uncertain if it was pure pity laid upon the hopeless Red Wings — the score was only 1-0 in favour of the Predators at that point — or simple ineptitude and the underlying narrative of referees forming the game to their control. No matter the reasoning behind it, it was laid out in crystal clear audio quality that a referee was attempting to play some part in the end result of the game.

Both Nashville and Detroit are wading their way through the season at the bottom of the Central Division, secured in the sixth and eighth spot respectively. No one is really paying attention as these teams are just showcasing players they are about to sell prior to the April 12 trade deadline, so maybe that’s why the referee thought he could get away with it?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Refs are MONSTERS in sports world I got him getting a fine and never allowed on the mic again lol
brock lesnar wwe GIF

It's called a make up call. Happens in every sport.
Yeah I'm not sure why this is a big deal. I could understand him getting heat for the language but it's not like that was his fault it got aired. If the NHL or any pro league thought this was letting the cat out of the bag then they're more out of touch than we could've imagined. I mean commentators, while not employed by the NHL, point out make up calls during games all the time. It's not like this was some well-guarded secret.

1PEw.gif

Last edited:

manfestival

Shame he got fired because it is the nashville predators. They need every made up penalty called on them that exists.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Shame he got fired because it is the nashville predators. They need every made up penalty called on them that exists.
Yup. Didn't know till you mentioned it and I searched now.

Referee Tim Peel will not work another game in the NHL after getting caught saying he wanted to give the Nashville Predators a penalty in their win over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night.

NHL senior executive vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell made the announcement Wednesday morning, saying that Peel would "no longer be working NHL games now or in the future."

Peel, 53, was due to retire after this season. He has been an NHL on-ice official since October 1999 and had refereed 1,334 games entering this season.

"Nothing is more important than ensuring the integrity of our game," Campbell said. "Tim Peel's conduct is in direct contradiction to the adherence to that cornerstone principle that we demand of our officials and that our fans, players, coaches and all those associated with our game expect and deserve. There is no justification for his comments, no matter the context or his intention, and the National Hockey League will take any and all steps necessary to protect the integrity of our game."

(I left out some boring paragraphs, but check out the final one)

Peel has been one of the NHL's most maligned officials, with fans using social media to critique his calls through the years. In 2015, Peel was removed from officiating a New Jersey Devils home game after being photographed at a bar drinking with a reporter. [Editor's note: The reporter was ESPN's Greg Wyshynski, the writer of this piece.]

NickFire

Yup. Didn't know till you mentioned it and I searched now.

Referee Tim Peel will not work another game in the NHL after getting caught saying he wanted to give the Nashville Predators a penalty in their win over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night.

NHL senior executive vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell made the announcement Wednesday morning, saying that Peel would "no longer be working NHL games now or in the future."

Peel, 53, was due to retire after this season. He has been an NHL on-ice official since October 1999 and had refereed 1,334 games entering this season.

"Nothing is more important than ensuring the integrity of our game," Campbell said. "Tim Peel's conduct is in direct contradiction to the adherence to that cornerstone principle that we demand of our officials and that our fans, players, coaches and all those associated with our game expect and deserve. There is no justification for his comments, no matter the context or his intention, and the National Hockey League will take any and all steps necessary to protect the integrity of our game."

(I left out some boring paragraphs, but check out the final one)

Peel has been one of the NHL's most maligned officials, with fans using social media to critique his calls through the years. In 2015, Peel was removed from officiating a New Jersey Devils home game after being photographed at a bar drinking with a reporter. [Editor's note: The reporter was ESPN's Greg Wyshynski, the writer of this piece.]
I try to avoid hoping for people to lose their job, but this guy had to be fired after that boneheaded move. The NHL if correct that keeping him casts a dark cloud over the game's integrity.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
meh, make up calls are BS and should not happen. the whole point of a penalty is to punish a team for breaking the rules, not to make the score closer.

Glad he got fired (even tho he was gonna retire this year anyways).

The makeup call is to make the contest more fair.

"We made a mistake on that end. Let's give em one on this end."

Last edited:
Top Bottom