• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni 2 Review Thread

I kind of ignored this game since while I enjoyed the first one, I didnt enjoy it enough to want to dump that much time into another one. But now I'm skimming over these quotes and I see castle building? Real time combat? And now I'm intrigued lol

Going to have to put this on my list for when it is on sale.

GenericUser

To me game visuals is fantastic while achieving 60 FPS. I mean isn't this biggest complain in neogaf that developers focus too much on the graphics and not enough on actual performance? Like it or not this action RPG, having smoother performance is much more important than having more "density".
That's totally ok if you think so. I'm not "neogaf", so I can't speak for him or her, I only have my personal opinions on the game. The game would appeal to me more, if they'd pushed more on the graphical front. As I said, it feels a bit empty for my taste.

Also, as I said, combat system is not for me. This was the first thing that I noticed in the reviews and it immediatly turned me off.

plushyp

Is there any way to hide the cat ears and tail? I know the main character is a cat-human hybrid and there are story reasons but I wish we were playing as a human girl or guy.

v0mitg0d

It's launch day!

New video from Chapter 5 with a new city, sailing, and some new side quests. Really enjoying this game!

Shouta

Pretty excited now that it's here but I won't be able to play until I get back tonight. I also have to finish another game too.

RPGCrazied

Wish I was good at making OT's. I hope someone at least makes a simple one since I guess most content creators are gone. Unless we turn this into the OT.

sublimit

Banned
Wish I was good at making OT's. I hope someone at least makes a simple one since I guess most content creators are gone. Unless we turn this into the OT.
I guess I'll make one once I get back home in a few hours. Got the game btw, I can't wait to start playing later tonight! :)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i did not played Xenoblade.
The unique monsters in Xenoblade looks like regular monsters you fight except they are much bigger and stronger. You can even be one or 2 level higher than them and still will gives you trouble. So I thought Ni no Kuni 2 might have something similar.

v0mitg0d

The reviews are looking great, and I mostly agree with them. I wish it didnt take so long to get going with all the various systems (SKirmishes, Kingdom Management, etc), but once it does the game is a lot of fun. Also, it's in need of a difficulty slider for SURE!

sublimit

Banned
Do you guys have any suggestions for the OT title? Otherwise i'll just go with Ni no Kuni II : Revenant Kingdom |OT|. I have the images ready so i can wait a bit before i make the OT.

JP

Good thread!!! I actually completely forget this was out now, I thought it was a summer release for some reason.

I just have far too much on at the moment to buy it now, I am really glad of what I'm reading in the reviews and it is something I'd love to play at some point.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do you guys have any suggestions for the OT title? Otherwise i'll just go with Ni no Kuni II : Revenant Kingdom |OT|. I have the images ready so i can wait a bit before i make the OT.
What about |OT|:King of Higgledies.

Rhysser

Banned
RPGamer Review 4/5

Ni no Kuni II offers a fully immersive world, and takes players on a wholesome and fun adventure that is sure to appeal to the inner child in everyone. With stunning visuals, a strong soundtrack, action-packed combat that is streamlined and accessible, and a whole host of unique mechanics, it has something for everyone, and is undoubtedly a worthwhile experience. The kingdom building concept offers a great new way of progression that works well on multiple levels, being much more involved than simply buying abilities from a menu and allowing development without combat, while also solidifying Evan's role as a king — though it can also on occasion lead to forced downtime. The vast amount of content to explore and multitude of game systems to experience make for a great game throughout that doesn't get stale. However, this variety comes at a cost of some of its systems being simplistic and underdeveloped. By focusing on a smaller set of deeper and better integrated systems, the experience could have been even better. But with its attempt to boil the ocean, Ni no Kuni II falls just short of being truly amazing.

sublimit

Banned
RPGFan 9/10
"All in all, Ni no Kuni II is a fantastic sophomore attempt from Level-5. It fixed all my issues with the first game, and while it introduced a few new ones, they're easy to overlook in favor of everything the game gets right. Whether you're a fan of the original or someone like me who tried and failed to love it, Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom is definitely worth checking out. "
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Ni_no_Kuni_II_Revenant_Kingdom/index.html

TannerDemoz

Help:

Do i buy this, monster hunter, a way out or that VIII lacrosse game or whatever it's called (I'm bevved up so forgive me for not googlinf the aforementioned properly)

Last edited:

Chaostar

Why even bother making a review thread when you could have just cherry picked 3 positive comments and made a pre-emptive defence thread?

Seriously though, great work OP and great scores! I'll be picking this up.

sublimit

Banned
Help:

Do i buy this, monster hunter, a way out or that VIII lacrosse game or whatever it's called (I'm bevved up so forgive me for not googlinf the aforementioned properly)
I have no idea what's the third game you mentioned but between Monster Hunter World and Ni no Kuni 2 i think NNK2 has more need of your money if we want to keep seeing games like this to continue being made.
But play what you are in the mood to play. :) They are both very different games anyway.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Played for an hour. Really like it so far, but some of the text is pretty dang tiny. Mostly the little boxes of them saying stuff when wandering around. Can barely read that. Dang old age!

I'm on a standard PS4, and sometimes I notice slight stuttering when rotating the camera. Not a big deal and I'm sure its not there on the pro. Maybe a 30fps lock would have been better.

Top Bottom