• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicalis, Inc shows off Ikaruga (PS4 and Switch) physical via Twitter

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This game does still look amazing on Dreamcast
Dreamcast is still the best version, IMO, if for no other reason than you can hook it up to a VGA monitor and play in 480p. 🤤

Where the fuck is 90s Super GP? That's what I wanna know.
Never heard of this, but now I wants it!

giphy.gif

BlackTron

Argh. Have it on DC and GC, and the Switch eShop version.

Are they going to make me AGAIN??? Gah

Also I'm in love with the option on Switch to rotate the screen

But the GC version was nice over s-video and this random Pelican snes style controller with an awesome d-pad.

Why do I get so excited for this game dammit.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I could scarcely be any less interested in Ikaruga at this point in time. It's as exciting as hearing that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is being ported to a new system.

Watch some footage of Sine Mora to see if it looks cool. It has a story, has solid mechanics, and looks quite good. Lots of good shmups on Switch to pick from.

Yeah, definitely a lot of arcade classics on the Switch. I'll investigate the modern shmup library on the Switch as well. I'm so glad Ikaruga is getting a physical release, it's the kind of game I buy on everything it releases.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah, definitely a lot of arcade classics on the Switch. I'll investigate the modern shmup library on the Switch as well. I'm so glad Ikaruga is getting a physical release, it's the kind of game I buy on everything it releases.
Devil Engine, Danmaku Unlimited 3, Rolling Gunner, Shikhondo, Ghost Blade HD, and Blackbird are six of the modern ones I'd recommend taking a peek at.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Shikhondo looks just so good, but will it crush my soul?
It has a lower difficulty level option, and the bullets are on the slower side as far as bullet hells are concerned. Both Ghost Blade HD and Shikhondo are good "training wheels" if you've ever wanted to dip your toes further into the subgenre.. You can tap-dodge out of almost everything in Shikhondo. The design of the bosses is worth the price of admission, IMO.

Dreamcast is still the best version, IMO, if for no other reason than you can hook it up to a VGA monitor and play in 480p. 🤤

The Gamecube version supports 480p over the component video output that early versions of that console had. Later revisions of the console removed the port. I have the Gamecube version and it's notable for removing the little flavor texts under the chapter headings instead of translating them.

I have the Steam version.

It is one of the most difficult games i've played.
Everything is Ikaruga is completely scripted. Once you have memorized exactly what happens when, stuff like this becomes possible.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to buy one for my Switch. DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi , did you play Sine Mora? Is it okay? I like that's a Grasshopper, been looking for a good shmup for the Switch.
Sine mora is ok, just not extremely notable. It has a much thicker story than most shmups concerning time travel and other such fuckery, but the gameplay is never really groundground-breaking imo.

Still, worth it for 10 or cheaper.

It has a lower difficulty level option, and the bullets are on the slower side as far as bullet hells are concerned. Both Ghost Blade HD and Shikhondo are good "training wheels" if you've ever wanted to dip your toes further into the subgenre.. You can tap-dodge out of almost everything in Shikhondo. The design of the bosses is worth the price of admission, IMO.

Alright! I want to get into this kind of shooters, but I'm afraid I'm way out of practice and years of masturbation may have corroded my reflexes and extreme memorization skills. I'll give it a try, I really liked the artstyle.

As someone who never really played shumps but bought Shikhondo on a sale a year ago i can recomend it, its good fun!

Sounds great, this is the kind of shmup I'm looking for. Fun and not soul crushing for someone who isn't an expert.

Sine mora is ok, just not extremely notable. It has a much thicker story than most shmups concerning time travel and other such fuckery, but the gameplay is never really groundground-breaking imo.

Still, worth it for 10 or cheaper.

Sine Mora is very cheap for a Switch game here in Brazil, it's definitely tempting. There are so many games I need to get, but it and that platforming pinball game are basically staring at me for months.

yurqqa

I don't really understand the need for physical releases of smaller games, but clicked on the thread somehow and... switch box looks so beautiful.

I want it !

Top Bottom