• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Live Facebook Q&A

Zolbrod

I know this is super-nitpicky, but since a lot of people are responding to it: Taura actually said he'd make a game for NES, not SNES. The interpreter upgraded it a bit.

Squire

Banned
Would love to see a remake of the original by Platinum, as I admittedly never got a chance to play it the first time around. (Though Clemps really helps out with that.)

I'm really enjoying his analysis/recap videos.

I know this is super-nitpicky, but since a lot of people are responding to it: Taura actually said he'd make a game for NES, not SNES. The interpreter upgraded it a bit.

Taura is kind of like that himself LOL. He was the one that pointed out you can't see 2B's panties, but rather it's a leotard. Yoko suggested the distinction didn't really matter, but it did to Taura!

Would love to see a remake of the original by Platinum, as I admittedly never got a chance to play it the first time around. (Though Clemps really helps out with that.)

If I could get a rebalanced Nier with more enemy variety, it'd be a goddamn great game. Possibly one of the best Action-RPGs period. Nier has a pretty awesome base ruined by pretty terrible balancing.

mcz117chief

Like, καινή means new and γυνή means woman, and they are both ancient Greek words, but why the hell would it be the OT.

I'm glad you figured it out :)

The idea is that we get a new NieR with a new woman character and that καινή is pronounced as "kainé" the name of the protagonist of the last game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any Updates on the PC Version? "We're working hard on it, but if I said anything, ninjas from SE would try to kill me, so I've got nothing to announce."

Well, at least the question wasn't simply ignored.

Is there a possibility of a NieR Remaster or Re-Release? "There is a very high possibility if NieR Automata sells like hotcakes, yes."

I'm choosing to interpret this as a not-so-subtle confirmation that a PC port of the original is in the works.

The idea is that we get a new NieR with a new woman character and that καινή is pronounced as "kainé" the name of the protagonist of the last game.

While I love Kaine & the idea behind that, I have to say "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you." would make the more eye-catching OT title.

DevilDog

I've studied ancient greek and come from Greece as well so I knew what it meant immediately.

However the pronounciation of καινή is completely different from kainé so it threw me off.

Still I have no idea how anyone will figure this out on their own.

mcz117chief

I've studied ancient greek and come from Greece as well so I knew what it meant immediately.

However the pronounciation of καινή is completely different from kainé so it threw me off.

I study ancient Greek at the university and the pronunciation is completely identical. Do you pronunciate "ή" as "ḗ" or as "i"? Because in ἡ κοινὴ διάλεκτος it is pronunced as "ḗ".

For example "Καινή Διαθήκη" we pronounce as "Kainé diathéké".

Exentryk

While I love Kaine & the idea behind that, I have to say "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you." would make the more eye-catching OT title.

Yeah, I feel this would work better. Even the simple 2B or not 2B might be better. With this Greek title, I guess there is one aspect to it, that it is a weird title for a weird Yoko Taro game.

mcz117chief

Yeah, I feel this would work better. Even the simple 2B or not 2B might be better. With this Greek title, I guess there is one aspect to it, that it is a weird title for a weird Yoko Taro game.

It's also a mystery (and people love mysteries), a reference and it will be pretty unique. I thought about dozens of OT titles and read so many over all the threads but I still like this one the most. I just don't want some "hahaha, so funny!" OT title, especially if the game doesn't warrant it at all.

Also, I think Greek letters (and language) are beautiful and very eye catching. When we read the Bible in ἡ κοινὴ Greek at school it always sounds like singing, it's really something.

Exentryk

It's also a mystery (and people love mysteries), a reference and it will be pretty unique. I thought about dozens of OT titles and read so many over all the threads but I still like this one the most. I just don't want some "hahaha, so funny!" OT title, especially if the game doesn't warrant it at all.

Also, I think Greek letters (and language) are beautiful and very eye catching. When we read the Bible in ἡ κοινὴ Greek at school it always sounds like singing, it's really something.

You'll probably have to add the explanation of the the title somewhere in the OP, coz we'll likely get people asking what it means. The mystery aspect of it sounds good.

mcz117chief

You'll probably have to add the explanation of the the title somewhere in the OP, coz we'll likely get people asking what it means. The mystery aspect of it sounds good.

I was also thinking about it but simply putting it into google translate (which also gives you the pronunciation, a modern one though, but it's close enough) gives you all the information you need to crack the mystery. But I will try to think of some way of putting a clue into the OT itself without it straight up saying it what it is.

Wow these are great. Glad the text adventure is coming back.

It's going to make me miss that 100% weapons grind, isn't it?

Well he said 25 hours to get the True ending. So whatever it is it won't be that bad.

So there IS some kind of deal between SE and Sony. Just like i thought. Not that i am surprised but... developers not being able to even talk about it is pure comedy. Nice job SE, please go to hell.

Huh? How did you discern that from what he said? Publishers not wanting devs to talk about things is pretty standard. Doesn't mean Sony had anything to do with it.

DevilDog

I study ancient Greek at the university and the pronunciation is completely identical. Do you pronunciate "ή" as "ḗ" or as "i"? Because in ἡ κοινὴ διάλεκτος it is pronunced as "ḗ".

For example "Καινή Διαθήκη" we pronounce as "Kainé diathéké".

The "αι" is read as e ( like 'e'psilon), and the intonation happens at ή and it sounds like 'e'than.

It sounds more like kenny in general, nothing like kaine.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Taura is kind of like that himself LOL. He was the one that pointed out you can't see 2B's panties, but rather it's a leotard. Yoko suggested the distinction didn't really matter, but it did to Taura!

To be fair Taura's right; a leotard is a uniform used by gymnasts, its practical not decorative.

Shifty

It's just an OT tag, man, calm down. You're acting like your life depends on it. You can make your own OTs with your own tags, nobody is stopping you :)

jrk_smoking_jacket.jpg
The rest of ScholarGAF's greek campus will have your back when the time comes.

Seriously though it's not good

Ferr986

The protagonist was Nier o_o.

Kaine is a secondary character.

mcz117chief

The "αι" is read as e ( like 'e'psilon), and the intonation happens at ή and it sounds like 'e'than.

It sounds more like kenny in general, nothing like kaine.

Are you talking about ἡ κοινὴ pronunciation? Because I have had two years of ἡ κοινὴ Greek and many times during my studies I have had to work with it and we always pronounced it as kainé.

Straight out of biblehub:

καινή (kainē)

GRK: τοῦτο διδαχὴ καινή κατ' ἐξουσίαν
INT: this teaching new With authority

How would you, for example, pronounce διάκονος? Dekonos? It's obviously diakonos.

I know that modern Greek has different pronunciations but I am obviously going with ἡ κοινὴ Greek.

The protagonist was Nier o_o.

Kaine is a secondary character.

NieR is the protagonist and Kainé the deuteragonist. Still very important to the plot and by far the most memorable.

The rest of ScholarGAF's greek campus will have your back when the time comes.

Thanks, bruh! Great picture too :)

DevilDog

Explaining greek in English on text is kind of irritating, but both κοινή and καινή sound nothing like Kaine.

And it's probably not making making the OT now since only 5 people understand the reference and one of them knows its wrong :p

mcz117chief

Explaining greek in English on text is kind of irritating, but both κοινή and καινή sound nothing like Kaine.

And it's probably not making making the OT now since only 5 people understand the reference and one of them knows its wrong :p

I'm sorry but it is you who is wrong, καινή sounds exactly like Kainé. I have been working with ἡ κοινὴ Greek for 5 years now almost daily and we read it at school pretty much every time we work with the New Testament. Are you telling me that every teacher at our university, all our books and all the internet dictionaries are wrong? You should write a paper on that. I even linked the biblehub's pronunciation of the word, what more do you want?

edit: you can see here that "αι" is read as "ai" in the world "aisle"

When this many people disagree with your idea for the OT title, and one claims it's straight up wrong, I think some compromise is in order.

It's just not a good OT title, IMO. Nothing other than the pronunciation (which might be wrong) ties it to NieR, whereas the director's quote or the 2B reference are directly and visibly related to the game in question.

mcz117chief

It's just not a good OT title, IMO. Nothing other than the pronunciation (which might be wrong) ties it to NieR, whereas the director's quote or the 2B reference are directly and visibly related to the game in question.

First of all, it isn't. I'm writing my master's thesis on Apocryphal literature and I'm working with ancient Greek extensively.

Second, the quote itself references Yorha as a new woman in an old world (and a new game) and giving a nod to the previous game at the same time.

I'm not going to pick some sexist butt joke for the lowest common denominator or some "omg, so funny!" line.

Guess you'll have to deal with the fact that you won't laugh hysterically at another amazing OT title.

If you believe I shouldn't make the OT then ask the mods to appoint someone else if you don't think I have what it takes to make it.

But ok, I'll think about it. If I think of anything better I will make it that. I'm always open to suggestions of course. I was thinking about putting some "shithog" there as it appears in both NieR and Drakengard 3 or maybe something religious since those themes are also very strong in the NieR universe.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My bet is that there is some contractual mumbo jumbo between Square and Sony ... which bans them to talk about PC version right now

Oh, that's undoubtedly the case. I was just a little surprised that the question was answered, even with PR-speak for "There's something in my mouth", as this is the first time Squeenix has acknowledged the PC version at all since announcing it, release date confusion aside.

LotusHD

Banned
But ok, I'll think about it. If I think of anything better I will make it that. I'm always open to suggestions of course. I was thinking about putting some "shithog" there as it appears in both NieR and Drakengard 3 or maybe something religious since those themes are also very strong in the NieR universe.

Well if you're considering it, then yea, I really like "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you." as well

First of all, it isn't. I'm writing my master's thesis on Apocryphal literature and I'm working with ancient Greek extensively.

That's very impressive, and I'm not trying to demean your accomplishments or abilities.

Second, the quote itself references Yorha as a new woman in an old world (and a new game) and giving a nod to the previous game at the same time.

Now that it's been explained, I get it, and I really like the idea behind it - it's cool.

An OT title, however, shouldn't need to be explained in such depth to multiple people, people who don't speak/read Greek just won't get the reference.

I'm not going to pick some sexist butt joke for the lowest common denominator or some "omg, so funny!" line.

I'm glad - I'd prefer it doesn't come down to a sexist butt joke either.

If you believe I shouldn't make the OT then ask the mods to appoint someone else if you don't think I have what it takes to make it.

I never said you don't have what it takes to make it, I asked for compromise with the title, since not everyone can read Greek or get the reference.

But ok, I'll think about it. If I think of anything better I will make it that. I'm always open to suggestions of course.

Thank you - for the record, I too think "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you." is something that would grab attention from more people.

Squire

Banned
Well if you're considering it, then yea, I really like "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you." as well

This is perfect. Especially since Yoko keeps saying it. It's s fun explanation and it'll probably be even more fun since the game is likely very good.

mcz117chief

Now that it's been explained, I get it, and I really like the idea behind it - it's cool.

An OT title, however, shouldn't need to be explained in such depth to multiple people, people who don't speak/read Greek just won't get the reference.

Exentryk thought so too so I thought I would put an explanation/clues as to what the title means in the OT. I just thought that Greek alphabet would immediately catch people's eyes since it's something you don't see here almost at all.

LotusHD

Banned
This is perfect. Especially since Yoko keeps saying it. It's s fun explanation and it'll probably be even more fun since the game is likely very good.

I also find it funny because everyone here seems to expect Platinum fans to not truly know what they're in for with this game lol

Exentryk thought so too so I thought I would put an explanation/clues as to what the title means in the OT. I just thought that Greek alphabet would immediately catch people's eyes since it's something you don't see here almost at all.

Seeing a language one doesn't know in a forum doesn't produce that reaction. Often, the person notices it then ignores it.

Very few actually copy & paste the phrase into Google Translate, and even then, the Kaine meaning is mostly lost. (See Below)

I like the Yoko quote but I'm also a fan of the Greek too. Not even speaking Greek, I knew it was some sort of reference to Kaine. An OT title isn't meant to appeal to everyone, so it's up to the creator to decide what it is. There's plenty of other OTs that make sense to some people, while still not making sense to others.

Just please, no butt jokes.

I like the Yoko quote but I'm also a fan of the Greek too. Not even speaking Greek, I knew it was some sort of reference to Kaine. An OT title isn't meant to appeal to everyone, so it's up to the creator to decide what it is. There's plenty of other OTs that make sense to some people, while still not making sense to others.

Just please, no butt jokes.

NieR: Automata |OT| 2B, or not 2B, that is the question.

Squire

Banned
I also find it funny because everyone here seems to expect Platinum fans to not truly know what they're in for with this game lol

That's another thing, yeah. I don't really understand some of the painting Platinum fans with a broad brush that's been happening. It's not like the only game they've ever made was Bayonetta and it's not like even that game was overly formulaic. I think PG fans are pretty receptive to different experiences.

Philippo

Yeah OT tile has to be either

NieR: Automata |OT| I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you

NieR: Automata |OT| 2B or not 2B

matmanx1

Yoko Taro is hilarious. And for all of us I hope that Nier: Automata sells like gangbusters. More Nier is a good thing!

mcz117chief

Seeing a language one doesn't know in a forum doesn't produce that reaction. Often, the person notices it then ignores it.

Very few actually copy & paste the phrase into Google Translate, and even then, the Kaine meaning is mostly lost. (See Below)

Yup, that's why I would put a disclaimer there saying that "ὴ" is read as "é" in ancient Greek. But hey, I figured out another way without putting it in the OT title.

NieR: Automata |OT| Go for Ending B(utt)

I very explicitly said no sexism

NieR: Automata |OT| 2B, or not 2B, that is the question.

I don't want to use 2B when she has such a beautiful name of Yorha. It would be a terrible waste.

LotusHD

Banned
That's another thing, yeah. I don't really understand some of the painting Platinum fans with a broad brush that's been happening. It's not like the only game they've ever made was Bayonetta and it's not like even that game was overly formulaic. I think PG fans are pretty receptive to different experiences.

Lol I don't quite get it myself, but whoever's a fan of what, I expect them to go "Wtf" when they play through the game.

As for me, I pretty much am down for whatever fuckery I get put through.

NieR: Automata |OT| I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you

NieR: Automata |OT| 2B or not 2B

I also liked
NieR: Automata |OT| Go for Ending B(utt)

This one is lame, and will definitely just end up derailing the thread.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, we don't need any more butt titles or discussion of 2Bs butt. I don't expect the game itself to call anywhere near much attention to it as a certain group of fans does. The demo already doesn't, you just... happen to see it (which believe it or not, actually won't turn you to stone.)

The usual suspects are already going to show up to let us all know the game is all flash, no substance, Soulsborne is better, and JP devs are perverts that should take notes from Ubisoft.

Top Bottom