• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

K.Sabot

Glad he enjoyed the game, it's quite good!

One might say it's the best / most interesting game I've played in the past few years.

Crayon

How does the combat stack up against Vanquish, MGSR, Bayonetta?

Bayonetta to me was incredible smooth in how you dodged attacks. It felt so good. Been looking for combat like that ever since!

The control and the moves are right out of an action game. I'd call it a full action game gameplay system. But it's not an action game. Not just in the amount of action scenes, but the style of the action. If you are used to bayo or dmc, it will be a little on the simplistic side. It's not too technical and you can play lame. On the flipside, those who find bayonnetta too hard or intense will probably find this better.

I really like the gameplay and there's room to be creative and challenge myself. It's set up very very well for an adventure game like this. It's easy to beat trash enemies. Not too hard to keep the story moving. Being built to serve a skillfully directed rpg, there are measured compromises and I think it would be a disservice to bayonetta to say this combat is "that good". It's just not an action game.

HeelPower

The control and the moves are right out of an action game. I'd call it a full action game gameplay system. But it's not an action game. Not just in the amount of action scenes, but the style of the action. If you are used to bayo or dmc, it will be a little on the simplistic side. It's not too technical and you can play lame. On the flipside, those who find bayonnetta too hard or intense will probably find this better.

Game is ridiculously hard on the upper difficulties.No question about that.

It doesn't have Bayo's endless movesets(which I never cared for personally) ,but that doesn't make it any less of a great combat system.

jonjonaug

Route A is pretty difficult on Hard mode, but once you figure out a few tricks the game still becomes easy by mid-B route. Upgrading the laser pod to level 2 and using the Wave pod weapon tends to break the game pretty hard.

Fhtagn

Route A is pretty difficult on Hard mode, but once you figure out a few tricks the game still becomes easy by mid-B route. Upgrading the laser pod to level 2 and using the Wave pod weapon tends to break the game pretty hard.

I'm playing on normal and just finished A.

It's pretty easy to "break" the game with chips and supplies before the end of A. Fuse a couple deadly heal chips and suddenly I'm healing 1000+ hp with every kill... and with dozens of healing items in a quick menu, I'm effectively immortal.

Honestly may remove that chip or kick up the difficulty as a result.

Nice to see the review from Jim. His critique was fair enough and glad to see the appreciation of playing the game to its proper conclusion rather than part way. The soundtrack seems to be universally loved by most critics.

Exentryk

Dayum!

Telegraph

The action is superb, the story is one of gaming's best, the atmosphere and tone are easy to get lost in, and the soundtrack is a marvel, with the end game credits song being one of the best in existence. It's been a ridiculously packed year for quality games, and with certain bigger open world games out there right now it might be easy to skip NieR: Automata, but you owe it to yourself to play this. An incredible sequel to one of gaming's strangest, most flawed masterpieces.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
GOTY season is going to be an especially interesting one this year; obviously anything launching so early is at a disadvantage but with this, Zelda, and Horizon all being serious contenders (at least in the RPG category) all appearing within such a tight window...

Obviously Zelda has to be the red-hot favorite, but Automata being such a singular experience has to have a chance of grabbing votes from more adventurous reviwers/outlets.

killatopak

GOTY season is going to be an especially interesting one this year; obviously anything launching so early is at a disadvantage but with this, Zelda, and Horizon all being serious contenders (at least in the RPG category) all appearing within such a tight window...

Obviously Zelda has to be the red-hot favorite, but Automata being such a singular experience has to have a chance of grabbing votes from more adventurous reviwers/outlets.

I'd say it would win best OST and Story just looking at the games released until now. The only contenders would be P5 and RDR2.

LotusHD

Banned
I'd say it would win best OST and Story just looking at the games released until now. The only contenders would be P5 and RDR2.

I could see this. Especially for OST, I won't accept anything else. :p
It's music, I will gladly fanboy over it.

I know there are other great contenders like GR2, Persona 5, etc., but it has an obvious edge in how wonderfully dynamic the music is.

So to its rivals this year, I say... Bring it on.

kEBQcyH.gif

NieR so far imo has:

- Best OST (the sound mixing is spectacular too)
- Best story
- Best moment (frankly, I don't think any game this year will come close to [E])

Glad to see it back at 89.

I think it got Best OST in the bag and has a serious chance at Best Story, if it's appreciated enough.

I can only hope for a general GOTY nomination though.

Koozek

This is the type of critical reception I would want a mainline FF to have again someday. Hope I won't have to wait too long for that to happen :/

Can't wait to finally play NieR in a few days, whewww. It's been lying here for almost 2 weeks, but I haven't had the time yet.

Does anyone have a clue when worldwide sales data is coming? The japanese one was promising, still wondering how it performed as a whole.

Woooo 89 again! GAF hype convinced me to try the demo a few months back and now this is my GOTY so far. Everything about this game is superb and no game is touching it when it comes to soundtrack of the year. It's in a league of its own.

I haven't played, heard, or seen much of Persona 5 though, so maybe things will change. I'm a complete sucker for Persona, Tokyo, and acid jazz.

Moaradin

Does anyone have a clue when worldwide sales data is coming? The japanese one was promising, still wondering how it performed as a whole.

It sold at least 200k on Steam already, and there was a 24k concurrent player peak at one point. Definitely gonna be a success.

raven777

Woooo 89 again! GAF hype convinced me to try the demo a few months back and now this is my GOTY so far. Everything about this game is superb and no game is touching it when it comes to soundtrack of the year. It's in a league of its own.

I haven't played, heard, or seen much of Persona 5 though, so maybe things will change. I'm a complete sucker for Persona, Tokyo, and acid jazz.

I played both and personally I give it to P5, even though I love Nier Automata's soundtrack. Very close call and I am sure there will be many people who prefer Nier's ost more than P5's.

I thought you guys got this shit locked
I played both and personally I give it to P5, even though I love Nier Automata's soundtrack. Very close call and I am sure there will be many people who prefer Nier's ost more than P5's.
I was talking to my friends about different things I'm loving about this game, and I compared the OST to persona 4, in which its one of few games that uses the music brilliantly to enhance scenes and exploration. The music swelling as you enter the amusement park, or the vocals kicking in the forest. These more softer moment uses of music arent felt enough in games, where most great use of music is to enhance more bombastic moments (which Nier of course does this as well). Even games with fantastic scores like Halo dont use the music as well as Nier does. Persona is one of the only other series I can think of that enhances as many moments as possible with music, so I'm really looking forward to what persona 5 has in store.

I thought you guys got this shit locked

I was talking to my friends about different things I'm loving about this game, and I compared the OST to persona 4, in which its one of few games that uses the music brilliantly to enhance scenes and exploration. The music swelling as you enter the amusement park, or the vocals kicking in the forest. These more types of uses of music arent felt enough in games, where most great use of music is to enhance more bombastic moments (which Nier of course does this as well). Even games with fantastic scores like Halo dont use the music as well as Nier does. Persona is one of the only other series I can think of that enhances as many moments as possible with music, so I'm really looking forward to what persona 5 has in store.
I found P5's score really disappointing. The trailers had me prepared for greatness, but no dice.

Given what happened here and with the ME:A thread, I'm starting to think review threads are not long for this forum :p

LotusHD

Banned
Oh my god. Is there a 0.0001% chance we can get back to 90 so I won't have to throw my copy in the trash?

It's not on MC to my knowledge. We shouldn't repeat that whole craze though, even if it was largely sarcastic.

"Seriously, I want some little robot figurines for my work desk."

I never thought that before...now its all I am thinking about. I could even reenact
Romeos and Juliets
at my desk

"Pisseth Off!"

Top Bottom