• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got it. I wish they'd have addressed this a bit more clearly though, or maybe even pointed out how 9S didn't really seem to care too much about humanity's extinction. Not too long after, he just seemed to be fighting on to save 2B, whether out of love or hate. The fact that 2B was what he was fighting for by the end shows that there was something more than just humanity's cause for the androids to live for, which gives a whole sense of tragedy about the situation really. At least the main playable trio all survived at the end.

That is a thing the game explores. In most of the sidequests you see all sorts of androids and machines fighting, living and despairing for love, or another purpose. Ending D even shows the machines actually evolving beyond their main directive of defeating the enemy, and flew off to space just to get away from that cycle.

One of the real tragedies I think is that they didn't trust themeselves to find their own purpose in a way. Nihilism talks about lack of a grand purpose in the world but it also encourages you to find a path to live on your own even without something like a god to help you find meaning in life.

So I'm going to assume the original creators of the plan are all dead at this point? This cycle seems to have gone on forever, with Yorha only the latest iteration, which actually leads me to another question. Who was supposed to take over in the event of Yorha being wiped out? Is there another group of androids out there waiting to be activated/built? Surely the Bunker Commander could not have been the top dog on the android's side. There must be someone else out there to make sure the androids are always gonna be there to fight the machines. I feel like I'm asking the questions that would be addressed in the sequel at this point lol.

No idea really, I think they're dead but at what part of the cycle they're at, I don't really think it's needed to be answered. The story itself is the story.

spiritfox

9S's desire to be alongside 2B has replaced his need to protect humanity from the machines, which is why he didn't care as much about the revelation that humanity is gone. He has another purpose now.

Kraq

That is a thing the game explores. In most of the sidequests you see all sorts of androids and machines fighting, living and despairing for love, or another purpose. Ending D even shows the machines actually evolving beyond their main directive of defeating the enemy, and flew off to space just to get away from that cycle.

One of the real tragedies I think is that they didn't trust themeselves to find their own purpose in a way. Nihilism talks about lack of a grand purpose in the world but it also encourages you to find a path to live on your own even without something like a god to help you find meaning in life.

Good point about the machines flying off. I was too tired whilst playing the game to pick up on that. I also agree with the with the rest of what you're saying. Looking back, I could see pieces of what the game was trying to say in the sidequests and also how it presented the meaning of our purpose in this world, but talking about it and thinking about it now really ties it all together. Brilliant game.

I love it when games give me a reason to think deeply about life like this. Good job Taro.

Courage

I finished this game yesterday and it's all I've been thinking about. Just wanted to say how much I absolutely adore it. For the themes it tackles so gracefully, and the way it resolves, with such uplifting hope that things can get better. It's been awhile since a game's ending resonated so deeply with me.

So, about 7 hours in, fighting in the castle to the top :

met A2. we fought. I lost because I dont have heal anymore. Load game,
walk out of vending machine... game loads map... teleports me near High Speed Machine in City Ruins... doesn't give me back control...

Bug ? Game fucking with me ?

Top Bottom