• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata Steam - Schrödinger's Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Steam is gone now
nCOKh9o.jpg

This is the most bizarre handling of any game's release date I think I've ever seen.

The trailer with the steam logo is still up on gamersyde.com. Wonder what is Square's problem with announcing a PC port (FFXV) and announcing a release date for a PC port (NieR)?

Eolz

Lol Square-Enix/Sony.
Will be pretty sad if the marketing exclusivity is just for some days, and not even weeks/months.

sense

Lol Square-Enix/Sony.
Will be pretty sad if the marketing exclusivity is just for some days, and not even weeks/months.
Yea Sony is struggling for exclusives that they signed this weird marketing deal to not let square talk about an already announced version until the day it releases on PS4 even if it is on pc two days later.
Soon ni no kuni 2 pc version will disappear and Namco/level 5 will go silent on that version

dreamfall

Anyone tweet at them?

Hoping that I can cancel this PS4 copy and just pick it up on Steam, three days later. That in fact would seem way too logical and competent for Square anything on PC...

Theswweet

I swear, this is almost as much of a clusterf as the whole Digimon World: Next 0rder announcement.

Digital only, PS4! Ah, wait, we meant Physical/Digital PS4, digital Vita! Err, no, PS4 physical and digital, no Vita.

Oh yeah the Chinese version of the Vita release already had a completed translation (by Bamco standards) that players could access with a hacked system, but we're still not releasing it even digital only on Vita!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sony have signed a deal so they can avoid GAF member from buying the games on PC ?

they most likely have a window of exclusivity like they have done for other games or dlc. Its not shady or nefarious, its just business.

Its shitty business sure, but its business.

sony paid money to have it delayed a couple days?

no because the game wont come out on the 10th, hence why the trailer is now gone. they would have paid for more.

Yeah, probably Sony has something to do with this.

That, or the "30th Anniversary Ultimate Wine" failed to meet sales expectations and they had to get rid of it somehow.

TissueBox

OH sh*t what the?? That came out of nowhere!! Then was covered up faster than you can say snakes on a train..! Nicely done SE...hope they comment soon.

Sony have signed a deal so they can avoid GAF member from buying the games on PC ?

If I had to guess, yes. (Obviously not just GAF come on lol)

All over the place no matter where I look I see comments wondering when which version is going to be released so that said commenter can know what version they will be getting.

Also, if mainstream people only see one option for the platform it's available on then they are going to reach one conclusion... They will also let their friends know if asked since it's the only option they know of. If questioned some might try to look for proof and find only a Sony release date.

Even if there where no delay, it would still be a win in mindshare for Sony.

I mean it's not that hard to see how it would work in Sony's favor here. I'm not saying that this is exactly what is happening, just that it would be believable.

hamchan

I love me some Nier but I'm not going to pre-order the PS4 version with things so mysterious and potentially only a 3 day gap to a PC version.

Eolz

Yea Sony is struggling for exclusives that they signed this weird marketing deal to not let square talk about an already announced version until the day it releases on PS4 even if it is on pc two days later.
Soon ni no kuni 2 pc version will disappear and Namco/level 5 will go silent on that version

I... don't really see how you can believe no deal has been made.
Not an expensive one obviously, but one made so some people double dip, or just go for PS4 first for their niche game. It's nothing really surprising.

Chobel

This is definitely because of Sony. If the game was delayed (for more than a couple of days) I could have said, PC version wasn't ready, but no news whatsoever when it's basically the same release date with PS4 version? Yeah, this reeks of "marketing" deal.

they want the console version to sell the most obviously.

ُWhy would SE care if console version sold more? A sale is sale, heck SE gets more money per copy from PC version.

Frostman

I love me some Nier but I'm not going to pre-order the PS4 version with things so mysterious and potentially only a 3 day gap to a PC version.

To be fair it wouldn't completely be a 3 day gap anyway, considering it launches the 10th in EU as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The trailer with the steam logo is still up on gamersyde.com. Wonder what is Square's problem with announcing a PC port (FFXV) and announcing a release date for a PC port (NieR)?

I'd wager FFXV is but a simple case of a PC version not being on the cards back when development began. Squeenix clearly wanted the game out the door as soon as reasonably possible and retrofitting a PC version when it became clear there's a sizeable audience on the PC would have been too disruptive and imposed yet another delay. No shenanigans, just a lack of foresight.

NeoRaider

I honestly don't know what to say. But i really HOPE that it's a marketing thing. That there is a deal between Sony and SE to not talk about the PC version of the game till the release of PS4 version. And that it will be stealthy released without pre-order on March 10.

If not... i will really think that ppl at SE don't even know what are they doing anymore and are making fun of us.

JB2448

Statements like this make me believe that this is going to have the opposite effect from what what they want. That's 100% on Square Enix. Mixed and unclear messaging results in lost sales.

Pranay

they most likely have a window of exclusivity like they have done for other games or dlc. Its not shady or nefarious, its just business.

Its shitty business sure, but its business.

no because the game wont come out on the 10th, hence why the trailer is now gone. they would have paid for more.

If I had to guess, yes. (Obviously not just GAF come on lol)

All over the place no matter where I look I see comments wondering when which version is going to be released so that said commenter can know what version they will be getting.

Also, if mainstream people only see one option for the platform it's available on then they are going to reach one conclusion... They will also let their friends know if asked since it's the only option they know of. If questioned some might try to look for proof and find only a Sony release date.

Even if there where no delay, it would still be a win in mindshare for Sony.

I mean it's not that hard to see how it would work in Sony's favor here. I'm not saying that this is exactly what is happening, just that it would be believable.

This is definitely because of Sony. If the game was delayed (for more than a couple of days) I could have said, PC version wasn't ready, but no news whatsoever when it's basically the same release date with PS4 version? Yeah, this reeks of "marketing" deal.

ُWhy would SE care if console version sold more? A sale is sale, heck SE gets more money per copy from PC version.

Let see when the game releases, it will clear up whether the game had a marketing deal or not.

For now this video might had accidentally mentioned steam version coming out on 10th

I honestly don't know what to say. But i really HOPE that it's a marketing thing. That there is a deal between Sony and SE to not talk about the PC version of the game till the release of PS4 version. And that it will be stealthy released without pre-order on March 10.

If not... i will really think that ppl at SE don't even know what are they doing anymore and are making fun of us.

lol, what a time we live in where we hope to be given a crap sandwitch instead of crapslaw.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the funniest thing is that Nier will be eaten alive by Horizon on PS4 so...yeah.

Let see when the game releases, it will clear up whether the game had a marketing deal or not.

For now this video might had accidentally mentioned steam version coming out on 10th

Bro, even if there was no delay... They removed the steam logo from their adverts man...

As someone who runs a business you don't just throw away marketing for an entire group of possible customers for nothing...

Ubernube

Honestly, I feel sorry for Yoko. Dude just wants to make weird games and make his fans happy (and occasionally angry), and he was lucky enough to make friends with higher up Japanese Square Enix Staff (Saito being extremely important), but he's saddled with a western branch that seems to have no clue what the hell they're doing to the point it could hurt his game's chances (at least on PC).

dracula_x

So many people in this thread believe in conspiracy theories, just amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if some people here believe in tooth fairies too.

Pranay

Bro, even if there was no delay... They removed the steam logo from their adverts man...

As someone who runs a business you don't just throw away marketing for an entire group of possible customers for nothing...

Why would SE care if console version sold more? A sale is sale, heck SE gets more money per copy from PC version.

*Consdering the situation there is no marketing deal*
If the PC version isnt ready, the. marketing team from Square Enix will promote there game on PS4 simply to get as many sales before the fiscal year end even if it means getting more sales on PS front from there target audience who have both a (PC and PS4)

Yeah beacause Nier Automata will sell like hot cakes, and tons of people will buy a PS4 just for this game. Sony knows it.

Sony gets paid 30% of the game if you buy the PS4 version, do they have incentive to spend money on a marketing deal to convince people to buy the PS4 version instead of other versions? absolutely. it's not like we've never seen timed exclusive deals before.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So many people in this thread believe in conspiracy theories, just amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if some people here believe in tooth fairies too.

Yeah marketing deals and moneyhats are literally as likely as that the moonlanding actually happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom