• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata Steam - Schrödinger's Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

There is a new trailer from today up on the european Square PR site, I'm downloading it right now. It says "PS4 Version" (damn sony moneyhatting), will see if it also contains PC release date tho

Mifec

the AA and AF are improved on Pro as well compared to base PS4, but i assume you mean even further. yes that's true

Yes that's what I meant, because the AF even on Pro is pretty mediocre and the aliasing on stuff like cables is pretty noticeable.

Paragon

What a mess this is.
I certainly hope the PC release is 2017-03-10 but I don't even trust a trailer released by Square-Enix at this point.
I would have expected the Steam to be up by now to take pre-orders if it's due out that soon.

Pro version is locked to 1080p so choose PC If you want 4K.
Assuming they haven't locked it to 1080p on PC too of course lol
Well Platinum doesn't have a stellar record on PC, so I wouldn't put it past them.
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was locked to 1080p60 max, and would output 1080p24 if you were using HDMI - though this can now be fixed with mods.
  • Transformers: Devastation supported 1080p and 4K but nothing in-between or above it (I now play quite a few games at 8K) and it was still locked to 60 FPS.
  • TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan was locked to 30 FPS and required hex editing to fix it - one of the things you wouldn't be able to do if the game was protected by Denuvo.

Joey Ravn

Banned
You're stuck in the past buddy.

Today is 21st of February 2017. 21/02/2017

Anyway, I hope people aren't cancelling PS4 preorders with this thread... There is 0 certainty yet. I think the title needs updated.

I am not stuck in anything. As I said, I'm not American, I'm European. I'm not even a native English speaker. I was just providing the reason why the date is written like that, which is something that was set way before our time.

I don't see why some people take so much offense to this. I'm not even defending the format.

Then why is it said that way in the US? :p

Force of habit, I suppose. The pilgrims said it like that, and it carried on.

swarley64

Looks like I can roll from Torment, right into Nier!
giphy.gif

ChazGW7

I am not stuck in anything. As I said, I'm not American, I'm European. I'm not even a native English speaker. I was just providing the reason why the date is written like that, which is something that was set way before our time.

I don't see why some people take so much offense to this. I'm not even defending the format.

Im only joking dude... because you wrote 2016, when its actually 2017.

prudislav

What a mess this is.
I certainly hope the PC release is 2017-03-10 but I don't even trust a trailer released by Square-Enix at this point.
I would have expected the Steam to be up by now to take pre-orders if it's due out that soon.

Well Platinum doesn't have a stellar record on PC, so I wouldn't put it past them.
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was locked to 1080p60 max, and would output 1080p24 if you were using HDMI - though this can now be fixed with mods.
  • Transformers: Devastation supported 1080p and 4K but nothing in-between or above it (I now play quite a few games at 8K) and it was still locked to 60 FPS.
  • TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan was locked to 30 FPS and required hex editing to fix it - one of the things you wouldn't be able to do if the game was protected by Denuvo.

thats the part that scares me

Battlechili

Banned
I figure this is just SE being awful at marketing, sort of like how for a while after KT announced Atelier Firis for PC no one believed them since they made no mention of it.

SE has a bad habit of putting games on PC all of a sudden without any marketing or advertisement for it.

You're stuck in the past buddy.

Today is 21st of February 2017. 21/02/2017

Anyway, I hope people aren't cancelling PS4 preorders with this thread... There is 0 certainty yet. I think the title needs updated.

If we want to apply a similar, but different and more appealing logic, the date is displayed in order of pool-size. Months? 12. Least amount of options. Days? Between 28 and 31. More days than months. Years? There are virtually infinite years!

So we have smallest bracket > medium bracket > largest bracket.

Or translated for food-pyramid folk:

Will this have PS4 render videos? They are, for whatever weird reason, only 900p, on Pro, too.

It's 100% certain that it's coming.

The only thing unclear (and it really seems like S-E wants it to be unclear at this point) is when.

I think you can answer this question above?

timberger

If it releases on PC around the same time as the PS4 version, all that petulant foot stamping about "moneyhats" and what-have-you in the last thread on this subject is going to be super embarassing for certain gaffers to look back on.

Month/day/year for life. It's the most efficient way to get info from a date. The day number is totally worthless alone, 17, ok 17 of what? The first number is then useless. A month puts you in the perfect frame of time, 3 is March, boom now I know it's in March, that's good info. Usually you know what year the date you are looking for is in, so that's kind of useless info unless you are doing something dealing with records. So month is more important to know first before the day number, so it's better to have that number right at the start.

Of course it's just what you are used to. How do people say dates in other places. Here we usually say March 3rd, or May 20th. Do other places say the 5th of May... that just sounds weird.

If it releases on PC around the same time as the PS4 version, all that petulant foot stamping about "moneyhats" and what-have-you in the last thread on this subject is going to be super embarassing for certain gaffers to look back on.

Not really.

It's a very unclear situation, and that theory isn't unreasonable given the information we have; since it does Square Enix literally no favors being quiet about it.

I really wish Square will just announce the steam release. I'm planning on double dipping for both PC and PS4 and it will help to know what the release date is. This is the most confusing marketing for a game I have ever seen.

Durante

If it releases on PC around the same time as the PS4 version
If that happens then the question remains of why S-E was (and still is, just look at their trailer upload variety) hell-bent on keeping that fact from the public.
You'd think they want people to know when they can buy their game.

Watching Square dance around this PC release is like watching a little kid try to hide something from his mum.
It is. And I am still flabbergasted as to why.

BriGuy

Would be cool if true. It would save me from having to double dip. The demo looked and ran fine on the pro, but I'm hoping it will run even better on a 980ti.

MaLDo

No way.

Sony knows that what matters most is the general perception. And developers / producers know that a good part of the equation is a potent marketing campaign.

To pay the global marketing campaign of a thirdparty game in exchange of omitting the competition versions in that campaign is an agreement that has been done many times.

From the point of view of the developer / producer, it makes no sense to omit versions in their trailers. Please think objectively about it.

Trago

If that happens then the question remains of why S-E was (and still is, just look at their trailer upload variety) hell-bent on keeping that fact from the public.

I've said it before, Square is is bordering on the shit tier when it comes to the PC platform.

We had a thread about this bullshit recently!

The fuck is going on?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Pleased it's coming to PC, but I'll wait on a sale. (I always do, before anyone starts)

Fredrik

Sony must've payed for it to appear like an exclusive with no mention of the PC version being a part of the deal.
Rise of the Tomb Raider had a similar silent period.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony must've payed for it to appear like an exclusive with no mention of the PC version being a part of the deal.
Rise of the Tomb Raider had a similar silent period.

Sony doesnt have to pay for exclusivity for this game, come on now. Platinum already were not making it for XBox anyway. As far as we know there is no Sony deal anywhere.

If anything, it would be SE pushing the PC date back so they could acquire double dippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom