• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Dive Studios: How One Company Is Bringing Old Video Games Back From The Dead

Lime

Seriously, what can we ever expect in regards to NOLF? Wait for public domain release after 70+ years?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Seriously, what can we ever expect in regards to NOLF? Wait for public domain release after 70+ years?

Kick actually outlined this plan in my interview, he feels that Night Dive needs to build up more clout, enough clout to where the megaliths would take Night Dive seriously.

Lime

Kick actually outlined this plan in my interview, he feels that Night Dive needs to build up more clout, enough clout to where the megaliths would take Night Dive seriously.

What kind of clout is that? Economic? Awareness? Making their own games that become overly successful to garner attention from the corporate megaliths?

tuxfool

Banned
What kind of clout is that? Economic? Awareness? Making their own games that become overly successful to garner attention from the corporate megaliths?

Sounds more like a hypothetical situation rather than any real sort of plan.

smisk

Cool interview. I'm really grateful to the people at Night Dive and GOG for preserving all these old games.
It's a shame about NOLF, I've always wanted to play it. Maybe I'll have to see if I can track down a copy somewhere.

Warner Bros essentially killed Night Dive's attempt at re-releasing No One Lives Forever and then did fuck and all afterwards. Such a shitty company.

Glowsquid

Didn't make into the notes but that was asked and they don't currently have the rights to that one and Kick seemed to get that game confused with the Re-Volt franchise at one point when discussing the rights.

Lol. Thanks for the update.

desu

Haven't bought anything yet but I absolutely approve of their work, good people! Looking forward to Turok though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ah yes, also recalling that Night Dive mentioned they also got the rights to the Capstone FPS games.

SparkTR

Indeed, I or one would love to see the Turrican series get adopted to the Steam store.

A couple old Amiga games (like Wings) are available on Gog via emulation. There's some great emulation packages and groups out there that painlessly get Amiga games running on Windows with their own executable, I'd love if gog looked into doing more of that in a legal way.

Cool interview. I'm really grateful to the people at Night Dive and GOG for preserving all these old games.

I've also noticed another platform called Zoom that seems to be making deals. As far as I know they have the exclusive rights to sell their own updated versions of old PC games like Killing Time, Requiem Avenging Angel, Zone Raiders, Uprising and other 3DO published games.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
There is also publishers like Console Classics which are bringing Playstation One games to the PC like N2O.

ArjanN

That well is extremely deep, I've been looking around and there's a seemingly endless supply of good old PC games to dig up. Other than that, Night Dive on one occasion suggested that they would port older console stuff like Condemned 2 or The Darkness to PC themselves, but that seems like a much bigger undertaking.

I'd love that. I think Jase Hall owns Condemned now? I remember earlier in the year him looking for an indie developer to make a Condemned 3.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I still remember people saying a SS2 re-release would never happen due to the copyright issues. I'm still amazed they were able to do it. They're awesome.

When WB filed to oppose Night Dive's trademarks, I'd hoped that it was something of blessing in disguise given the then-recently-announced WB Vault initiative, but nothing eventuated. Hell, WB Vault died as quickly as it was announced as it has given birth to nothing but the Gauntlet remake, which was announced alongside the initiative itself.

Considering this, I hope that Night Dive tries again to get NOLF, I doubt WB would oppose considering their alternative is dead in the water.

This caught my eye:

One example: Night Dive is developing a full remake of the original System Shock, going well beyond the basic rerelease that launched a couple months ago. Night Dive has acquired the full rights to the franchise, and Kick says he’s been working with Robert Waters, the game's original concept artist, to reimagine his designs from the early 1990s.
Wait what?

Warner Bros essentially killed Night Dive's attempt at re-releasing No One Lives Forever and then did fuck and all afterwards. Such a shitty company.

Suck a kick in the balls. Fuck any publisher that just sits on old IP rather than come to an agreement that actually pleases fans. A lot of them are guilty of this!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
nice so turok comes before christmas wooo :D

Sad to hear there's no progress on getting the rights for re-publishing Azrael's Tear. That's a game I think really deserves its spot in the limelight, years after it was discarded by the press. Hopefully Night Dive could get access to any source code and prepare an improved version.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sad to hear there's no progress on getting the rights for re-publishing Azrael's Tear. That's a game I think really deserves its spot in the limelight, years after it was discarded by the press. Hopefully Night Dive could get access to any source code and prepare an improved version.

Actually I was told just yesterday that there has been movement in that direction but things are looking a bit nebulous but they may work something out.

Based on WB's paradoxical behavior throughout this NOLF bullshit, it seems like they don't have a lot of internal communication across departments and/or lack centralized decision-making about legal matters.

Large companies like this are incompetent by design. Once a large, publicly traded company is operating in a self-sustaining state and shareholders become the biggest levers on its behavior, it becomes much more risky to try something unusual and potentially fail than it is to just ignore even slam-dunk opportunities -- because ignoring an opportunity doesn't get bad ink but screwing even a minor thing up does. When a large company like this does things that are daring or savvy, it's because individual people with enough power to do so have taken it upon themselves to actually do something useful with their time.

The answer is sadly no as the right holder decided against a new release.

Who is the rights holder in this case? That surprises me a bit more if it's a single company.

Whoever it is who made the call to shut them down on this is some jackass stuffed suit with "VP" in his title who'll be in another division or another company in five years. Especially with tough nuts to crack like LucasArts, past experience has shown that the best strategy is just to be persistent and try again periodically so you get to roll the dice again with the next person filling the same job.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Who is the rights holder in this case? That surprises me a bit more if it's a single company.

The individual in question was not named as you would expect but recalling from the earlier third interview they were apparently rather eccentric. Like they had to track him down to a private island or something to that effect and they said they were not interested in seeing the game re-released.

Sophia

They're responsible for bringing the Dark Savant trilogy of Wizardry games (6/7/8) to GoG and Steam. They're good people

Crusaders of the Dark Savant was among one of my first PC gaming experiences. <3

Really glad to hear Turok 2 is coming too, I don't remember if I had heard about 2 when the first was announced.

Also a big fuck you to WB.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shame "No One Lives Forever" fell through. I really hope they go back and try to get the three parties on board. There's a demand there, and the three are stupid to not let Night Dive do it.

Also if they're getting Forsaken, I'd love for them to get the Descent IP proper. But given that Interplay is still "alive" in name and given the name/IP to a multiplayer-shooter that'll never happen. Blech.

The individual in question was not named as you would expect but recalling from the earlier third interview they were apparently rather eccentric. Like they had to track him down to a private island or something to that effect and they said they were not interested in seeing the game re-released.

Oh, it's an individual person, not a company.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is Powerslave still coming? I might just pull the trigger on the Saturn version.
Glad I met the download then.

I own the game on Saturn, PSX, and PC (which is completely different) but the recent PC port that was pulled just plays so much better. It's truly night and day. The Saturn version was great for its day and but the frame-rate is quite low and the controls difficult. PSX version runs smoother and is slightly different but it's also even more variable since they uncapped the frame-rate.

Sijil

Wait.. They're remaking System Shock 1? That's a megaton for me right there, why wasn't this officially announced yet? Hope and pray to God they consider remaking 2 as well, although that it still runs great with mods.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The problem with NOLF is everything is actually split apart across WB and Activision.

Maybe, but the Kotaku article says that Acti and Fox each said they may have something, but didn't have the records on hand to prove it, and it was WB's change of heart that ultimately put a stop to things.

It's hard to say whether or not Acti has anything without knowing what Vivendi actually bought all the way back in 2003; buyouts of companies aren't always as simple as "Here is some money; give us everything that was published under your name." For all we know, by buying Fox Interactive, Vivendi bought the right to publish games based on Fox properties without needing to worry about licensing fees (indeed, it released a few Fox-related games in the few years following the buyout) while Fox itself retained ownership of the games it had previously published, which could indeed be the case given there's no transfer of ownership data for Fox Interactive titles on Copyright.gov (20th Century Fox is still listed as the copyright claimant).

Late edit: Another small nugget of info to consider, relating to the above: The original Alien vs Predator was being published on Steam by Fox until last September (it's now self-published by Rebellion). Rebellion promptly began working on a GOG/Steam cross-play patch, and as far as I can tell the game didn't release on GOG until after the publisher change on Steam.

Grief.exe

Maybe, but the Kotaku article says that Acti and Fox each said they may have something, but didn't have the records on hand to prove it, and it was WB's change of heart that ultimately put a stop to things.

It's hard to say whether or not Acti has anything without knowing what Vivendi actually bought all the way back in 2003; buyouts of companies aren't always as simple as "Here is some money; give us everything that was published under your name." For all we know, by buying Fox Interactive, Vivendi bought the right to publish games based on Fox properties without needing to worry about licensing fees (indeed, it released a few Fox-related games in the few years following the buyout) while Fox itself retained ownership of the games it had previously published, which could indeed be the case given there's no transfer of ownership data for Fox Interactive titles on Copyright.gov (20th Century Fox is still listed as the copyright claimant).

Night Dive: huge mega publishers, just dedicate one lawyer to search through files and get to the bottom of the copyright situation for the benefit of the industry.

WB, Activision, and Fox: Nah fam

Top Bottom