• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night In The Woods Coming to PS4

jholmes

Dug this project when it was in Kickstarter last year. Wanted to see a console release then but they were real silent about what their plans were for that.

Famassu

Looks really intriguing! I like how walking across a fence has different animations.
Hope the gameplay isnt just "run across the city to watch vignettes" which is what the trailer looks like, but if the atmosphere and writing is good enough Im sure it could pull that off.
It looks like a somewhat exploratory platformer. You can run around town & find stuff on rooftops and other places, though I assume they have so far been hiding essential parts of the game that might have to do with puzzle solving and maybe some more action-y gameplay. I wouldn't really worry about the gameplay, one of the people behind the game is behind a classic like Aquaria, which is one of the best & more unique Metroidvanias.

PaulloDEC

Looks fantastic to me. Adventure, platforming, neat soundtrack, beautiful artwork. Count me in.

Oh god, I looked at the YouTube comments. Why didn't anyone warn me?

Yeah, it's really best to avoid the comments on any videos posted on the Playstation channels that aren't AAA. They're typically about 10% genuine interest, 20% trolling by XBOX fans and 70% whinging about indie games.

Hipster really is the laziest possible way to describe something.

That said, the game looks interesting. The trailer didn't exactly give us much in the way ideas about how the game will actually play though.

The group of animal friends ooze hipster clique just by appearance alone. Other than that, the art direction's absolutely beautiful, and the movement is smooth and fluid. The music, damn, is like sweetness on the ears!!!

Kind of kicking myself for not going for the zine tier during the Kickstarter.

The thing that really bummed me out was how there's apparently a "Prologue" game being made, and you could only get it for backing $100 or up. In fact, by my count only 338 will supposedly have access to it, which certainly isn't many. I guess someone might post the contents to YouTube, unless they're explicitly forbidden from doing so.

Famassu

Kind of kicking myself for not going for the zine tier during the Kickstarter.

The thing that really bummed me out was how there's apparently a "Prologue" game being made, and you could only get it for backing $100 or up. In fact, by my count only 338 will supposedly have access to it, which certainly isn't many. I guess someone might post the contents to YouTube, unless they're explicitly forbidden from doing so.
Pretty sure someone linked that prologue on the first page of this thread (100ppp) and it's completely free for everyone and available on pc, mac and linux. Not sure if that's the prologue you mean, but it's something similar.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
The art style is neat. I'm almost getting some Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends vibes from it, I think? Anyway, I'll keep my eye on it.

Amir0x

Banned
They are going to be at Sony's booth at E3 as well.

I love when these companies highlight the indies. Tons of aspiring developers, so genuinely happy to be included, to be given a slice of the limelight. The talent of tomorrow's industry.

Within a year people will be sick of all these indie titles. Well maybe not all people, maybe just a few... i will for sure.

Haha, think about the ridiculousness of your internal logic here.

Step 1: What defines the nebulous 'indie title' category that you think people will get universally tired of? The fact that they don't have 60 million dollars being spent on marketing budgets and another 50 million on corridors?

Step 2: Since indie games come in all visual shapes and sizes, all lengths, all gameplay types, all depth types, all content types, do you think people are going to universally get tired of all types of games simultaneously, or just indie games because they're cognizant of the fact they have generally smaller budgets and teams?

Step 3: Since indie games right now have some of the widest variety, boldest experimentation and craziest visual directions going, compared to the more risk-averse world of AAA's, wouldn't it suggest the statistical likelihood of getting bored of all indie games is actually smaller than getting bored of all AAA games, both of which are equally absurd concepts on the surface?

Step 4: What is it about this game specifically that would make you preach about the impending sickness everyone is going to have toward indies? Does it fit some particular indie trend? If so, how many other games within that trend can you point out that have been released this past year, how well did they review, how many people played them, as a percentage of our total industry?

Luigi87

Just saw the trailer...Holy crap I love the artstyle.
Also that tagline "At the end of everything, hold on to anything" is one of the best taglines I've ever seen.

I'm pretty excited for this.

Pretty sure someone linked that prologue on the first page of this thread (100ppp) and it's completely free for everyone and available on pc, mac and linux. Not sure if that's the prologue you mean, but it's something similar.

I overlooked that, the Longest Night thing? I'll give it a look, but I'm not sure that's what the KS referred to.

Edit: Huh, maybe it is.

jimboton

I think this has the potential to be really good. Aquaria is one of the great metroidvanias. So far I'm glad I backed.

I just hope this ends up having some depth and challenge in the adventuring and exploring departments so we don't end up with another Broken Age in our hands. Come on guys, show Tim Schafer how it's done!

psn

Looks great, I love the artstyle. Now I just have to decide between ps4 and pc version.

Within a year people will be sick of all these indie titles. Well maybe not all people, maybe just a few... i will for sure.

How about seeing it as a 2D adventure platformer, rather than an 'indie title'.

XBLA was the best thing about 360. And long may spirit of XBLA continue to PS4 and XBO. There's no reason why the big games and the little games can't co-exist, after all variety is the spice of life.

WITHE1982

Looks sweet. I just love the dark philosophical stuff mixed with bright, fun game play. My sort of thing. Add this one to my long, long watch list.

LongList.gif

This looks very interesting, pity it's 2015.

LOL @ people that still consider only AAA games like the "real gaming": it's actually the opposite, nowadays only a subset of AAA titles have some actual depth in any of the various departments (gameplay, story & characters, art style, soundtrack, replay value and so on), while indies are where the real creativity and attention to detail is returning to life, after they left with the previous gen.

Top Bottom