• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NightCry (Project Scissors) PC release March 29. Steam and Playism. Trailer

joe2187

Banned
Just got a backer update from the campaign out of the blue, apparently it's going to be releasing just next week!

The official release date for NightCry has been set for March 29th, 16:00 (Japan time). The game will be made available to purchase on Steam and from the PLAYISM website.
We want our backers to get their copies as soon as possible, so prior to release we will be providing download codes via the PLAYISM website.
For the time being please enjoy the latest game trailer, and before long the Scissorwalker will be knocking at your door...

NightCry official trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEMsbp7oeDA

No word about the Vita version yet I hope it's not cancelled.

I backed it, and to be quite honest it's looked rough the entire time it's been in development. Still, I'm interested to see what the final game is going to be like and looking forward to playing it.

Damn that's quick. A rushed release like that will rely entirely on word of mouth alone to spread good sales, so I hope it does well since Japanese horror games like this are soooo rare nowadays.

And just so people know, this is being worked on by Clock Tower/Steel Battalion creator Hifumi Kono and former Konami staff like Masahiro Ito (Silent Hill 2 and 3 Art Director/Designer) and MGS4 composer Nobuko Toda. So hopefully the talented staff will translate into a great game. I'll await the Vita version.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I backed it, and to be quite honest it's looked rough the entire time it's been in development. Still, I'm interested to see what the final game is going to be like and looking forward to playing it.

Surprised it's coming out so soon. The trailer looks quite unfinished (poor framerate in trailer, most of the environment and lighting shots look unfinished). Budget is limited of course but I was surprised to see the rough edges be quite so obvious in the trailer. Hope it turns out well. I was a big fan of Clock Tower 3, the weird cousin of the series!

joe2187

Banned
Surprised it's coming out so soon. The trailer looks quite unfinished (poor framerate in trailer, most of the environment and lighting shots look unfinished). Budget is limited of course but I was surprised to see the rough edges be quite so obvious in the trailer. Hope it turns out well. I was a big fan of Clock Tower 3, the weird cousin of the series!

Yeah it looks a bit rough.

But the alpha they released a while ago played pretty seamlessly for the most part. didnt experience any major hiccups.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sometimes it looks good sometimes it looks bad, what i can't really stand though is that high brightness setting that makes black to become grey and everything to look flat, anyway i'm in for the vita version.

epmode

Judging by how quickly this was finished, I'm thinking it's going to be buggy, unfinished and/or incredibly short. I hope I'm wrong!

Doesn't look that bad from the trailer apart from lacking atmosphere a bit, but they have turned this around surprisingly quickly. Was it already in active development before the KS campaign. I backed it, but haven't really been keeping tabs on it since then.

dude

dude
I loved Clock Tower, but didn't back this due to low funds while this was running.
I intend to give the game a try though, hopefully it's good!

Really hoping the Vita version doesn't deviate too much from its PC counterpart. It would be another great project to see realized in physical form through Limited Run Games, but I'm glad the spirit of Clock Tower is still roaming in some form nonetheless.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Probably the first KS project I've backed that I'm getting to play in my lifetime. Looking forward to it!

EDIT: AFAIK, the Vita version was actually going to run on PlayStation mobile. So not holding my breath for that.

Reedirect

This has that grimey look and feel of a PS2 survival horror game. Loving it. I'll definitely pick this up when it hits.

Corpekata

Banned
The Vita version is the mobile version, which isn't directly related to the kickstarter, which was about creating a "big screen" version of the game.

Bl@de

Nice. Something to do while waiting for Dark Souls 3. Hope Backers can already download it on the weekend :) They say backers will get early access on Playsim.

joe2187

Banned
Probably the first KS project I've backed that I'm getting to play in my lifetime. Looking forward to it!

EDIT: AFAIK, the Vita version was actually going to run on PlayStation mobile. So not holding my breath for that.

That shouldn't be a problem at all.

Vlaphor

Really looking forward to this. Liked what I played in the Alpha and I'm looking forward to what's next. Feels like a slightly janky Japanese PS2 Horror Game with mouse controls, and that sounds awesome.

Kazer

Really looking forward to this. Liked what I played in the Alpha and I'm looking forward to what's next. Feels like a slightly janky Japanese PS2 Horror Game with mouse controls, and that sounds awesome.

Well, it is a spiritual successor to Clock Tower so that makes sense!

I'm excited to give it a try. Glad it'll be on steam!

Corpekata

Banned
Really hope they fixed the bizaare refresh rate bug where FPS would cap at like 1/3ish of my refresh rate for no apparent reason in the demo.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have a really crap antique PC. Like I can run Skyrim but never upgraded since then. If I can actually play this with a playable frame rate, I'm in day one.

joe2187

Banned
I have a really crap antique PC. Like I can run Skyrim but never upgraded since then. If I can actually play this with a playable frame rate, I'm in day one.

Download the Alpha, you should find it in one of the campaign updates. I think it was released publicly.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It looks janky, but oddly charming. Which is fine, that describes most of the Clock Tower games and many PS1/PS2 horror games, anyway, so I think the audience the game is marketed at may be more okay with it (and the game barely made its goal on Kickstarter and the rest is mostly funded by themselves, so they are working with a very limited budget, so it's understandable).

I'm looking forward to it immensely, though. Surprising it's releasing so soon, I expect it's going to be rough around the edges, but hopefully enjoyable. That's how I would describe most of the series anyways, so it's weirdly fitting, and if it finds success (like I hope), I hope we'll see more games around this in the future.

Ooccoo

I'm wondering why there aren't more games like this. You'd think with the success of Until Dawn and others that developers would go crazy with horror but no. Better milk them shooters. The gameplay of Project Scissors looks very rough but I'll take it.

joe2187

Banned
I'm wondering why there aren't more games like this. You'd think with the success of Until Dawn and others that developers would go crazy with horror but no. Better milk them shooters. The gameplay of Project Scissors looks very rough but I'll take it.

There are tons of new and recent horror indie titles though.

The only thing we havent really seen in a while is a game done properly that uses fixed camera angles effectively.

There are tons of new and recent horror indie titles though.

The only thing we havent really seen in a while is a game done properly that uses fixed camera angles effectively.
To be fair most recent horror games are first person. There is a distinct lack of third person horror games

Pejo

Another March release that I want. Slow down March, are you crazy or something?

That said, I'll be picking this up, but not right now.

So this is gonna be $24.99 (which I'm assuming will become €24.99). A bit more expensive than I thought.

http://playism-games.com/game/261/nightcry

$24.99 Digital Download
A digital copy of NightCry for the PC.

$39.99 Digital Soundtrack Pack
A digital copy of NightCry for the PC & a digital copy of the NightCry soundtrack.

$49.99 Digital Deluxe Pack
A digital copy of NightCry for the PC, the soundtrack, and the digital Artbook!

$59.99 Digital Complete Pack
A digital copy of NightCry for the PC, the soundtrack, the artbook, and a PDF of Takashi Shimizu's storyboards for the live action trailer.

Kanashimi

I really, really loved the alpha. It felt so reminiscent of the SNES game that my nostalgia was getting the better of me. So I'm probably a bit more than biased, but I'm very excited.

Top Bottom