• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightdive Studios teases The Darkness Remaster?

So I came across this tweet on X:

The reason I added a question mark to the thread title is because "the list" mentioned could simply mean stuff they *want* to do rather than something actually being worked on/confirmed. In any case it caught my attention because 'The Darkness' is fucking *dope*.

I bought both it and it's sequel day 1 on PS3, loved the dark mood, narrative focus and unique FPS action that combines gunplay with your devilish demon companions feeding on the enemy while spouting their sardonic wit, it's good stuff. There is one cutscene in particular that to this day is still one of the most powerful and impactful I've ever seen in a videogame. Anyway, I'm there day 0 if this comes to PS5, playing it in 4K 60 FPS would be a dream come true.

Anyone else play these games and love them as much as I did?

Last edited:

violence

It’s one of the reasons I bought a series S as a back compat machine. It was released around that special time in the beginning of that generation and the performance on PS3 is rough.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's a list of things they're gonna try to get the rights to remaster, yeah.
I was always bummed we never got a PC port so I would love to see it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh Jesus Christ this is my fav 360 game. I don’t think I want any other game released more on new systems than this. I want physical ps5 release of this!!!!
This is such an amazing game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'd love to play original game on modern systems, but rights to this series belongs to 2K/Take Two and I doubt that they'll be willing to fund this endeavour.

HL3.exe

I hope so. Actually emulated it recently on RPCS3 and it works great at 60fps.

I miss that era of Starbreeze. These first person action adventure style games with slight Immersive Sim structure felt special. Luckily Machine Games still retains this style but it's not fully the same. I miss the open-ended dialogue systems they'd use.

The new Indiana Jones game comprises of mostly devs from Riddick and The Darkness, so there is hope.

KaiserBecks

That would be so cool. Loved this game back then, actually thought it was better than Bioshock (which came out a couple of weeks later afair). This trailer still gets me.

Montauk

Sorry, can I ask why this has one of those awful poorly written YouTube clickbait titles?

No offence but why not just write a full, grammatically correct sentence as title?

“Are ND teasing a remake of The Darkness?”

Or

“ND seem to be teasing a remake of The Darkness”

It’s maddening seeing this style of writing proliferate. Why am I being asked if ND are indeed teasing a remake of The Darkness?

I don’t know. Do you?

Why, here on a forum, are people writing titles that are designed to drive clicks on YouTube videos?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I mean The Darkness still looks amazing so just a recompile for modern hardware would already be dope enough.

There is something in the way of film noir visuals and stencil shadows with subtle soft bloom that creates a look you don't easily redefine with more modern tech.

xrnzaaas

I recently replayed it thanks to 360BC and while most of it was still super fun I really disliked 'hell' levels. They dragged on and didn't look that good visually. It's a shame Riddick games aren't backwards compatible on the Xbox, because you can definitely feel it's the same studio.

Needlecrash

So I came across this tweet on X:

The reason I added a question mark to the thread title is because "the list" mentioned could simply mean stuff they *want* to do rather than something actually being worked on/confirmed. In any case it caught my attention because 'The Darkness' is fucking *dope*.

I bought both it and it's sequel day 1 on PS3, loved the dark mood, narrative focus and unique FPS action that combines gunplay with your devilish demon companions feeding on the enemy while spouting their sardonic wit, it's good stuff. There is one cutscene in particular that to this day is still one of the most powerful and impactful I've ever seen in a videogame. Anyway, I'm there day 0 if this comes to PS5, playing it in 4K 60 FPS would be a dream come true.

Anyone else play these games and love them as much as I did?

The game was AMAZING. A bit on the short side and terrible stuttering in Multiplayer with the same song looped over and over, but still a very solid game nevertheless. The comic series is really fucking good too, as the game is a loose adaptation of it; I HIGHLY recommend reading it as it's crazy af.

I would hope both games would be remastered in a single package. This would be a pre-ordeded purchase for me unless the performance is terrible or the asking price is unreasonable. Remasters please, not ports.

Killer8

Nightdive are amazing but I think their PR tactic on social media is just being as bold as possible to try to secure more games to work on. Get the interest out there. I don't think it's a guarantee they'll actually get those games. This and begging Epic to work on Unreal are two examples.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game was AMAZING. A bit on the short side and terrible stuttering in Multiplayer with the same song looped over and over, but still a very solid game nevertheless. The comic series is really fucking good too, as the game is a loose adaptation of it; I HIGHLY recommend reading it as it's crazy af.
I used to finish this game once a year. I finished it at least 5-6 times. Fantastic heavy, thick atmosphere.
The scene with Jenny in her apartment ?! That scene changed my life lol

acm2000

LUVjOm2.gif

poodaddy

Not big on the sequel but the first game was pure brilliance. Yes please, let's get that and the Riddick games please, as the Darkness feels like a spiritual sequel to Riddick anyway in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Never played the darkness back in the day, but I remember that my brother was quite into it. I even picked up recently a PS3 copy in good condition from a flea market, but I haven't even booted the game up... Would much prefer playing it on a modern system at hopefully 4k and 60 fps so I welcome this possible remaster from Nightdive Studios.

Last edited:

poodaddy

I love that band but gatdamn is their front man fucking hideous as hell but didn't get the memo. Dude is strikingly ugly but acts like a sex symbol in every video.....and that shit probably works crazy well. Women love confidence after all.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I liked the 2nd one with the mental ward and the cel shaded graphics weren’t bad at the time. The first game was decent. I remember being irritated at its 7’s average reviews. It was a decent game. Wasn’t there some sorta baseball themed DLC from preordering at GameStop? I had it on PS3. I remember shooting the street lights to make your darkness powers last.

Takes me back to when darkSector came out.

TwinB242

One of my favorite games of its generation. I feel like it was criminally underrated both critically and commercially. I would definitely be down for a remake of it.

bender

What time is it?
NOLF is one of the games that Nightdive has been trying to remaster since they started the company, apparently the rights are a complete nightmare.

Activision vs 20th Century Fox vs Warner Brothers with no certainty for owns the property, a property that largely underperformed when initially released. Figuring out who owns it is probably more trouble than it is worth, sadly.

mrmustard

Banned
Nightdive are wizards. I hope we will see many more games and also on console. Too bad Blood wasn't on console.

Top Bottom