• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Less expensive portable Switch model due out this fall / Next-generation device after.

As a life-long PS gamer, I was actually interested in a portable-only Switch. In other words, it would the Gameboy / DS successor of sorts.

I'll see what Nintendo comes up with next time.

Breakage

Two years in and Nintendo are planning to release a successor next year?
I think Nintendo is making a mistake by trying to cover two different markets with the Switch platform.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
Two years in and Nintendo are planning to release a successor next year?
I think Nintendo is making a mistake by trying to cover two different markets with the Switch platform.
This next-gen machine is apparently very early on and Nintendo themselves don't even seem sure of what they want it to do. No way it's coming out next year. Between 4-6 years after Switch launch would be my guess. This sounds like next-gen, not a Pro model.

Breakage

This next-gen machine is apparently very early on and Nintendo themselves don't even seem sure of what they want it to do. No way it's coming out next year. Between 4-6 years after Switch launch would be my guess. This sounds like next-gen, not a Pro model.
Yeah, upon re-reading I realised I misinterpreted the article – “...will follow the less expensive model” most likely means several years away. I got caught out by the word “follow”.
4 to 6 years sounds more reasonable.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If Nintendo doesn't put an actual D-PAD on the Switch mini they can go fuck themselves

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...y-on-china-prospects-hasn-t-scared-off-shorts

Growth in the current period will get a boost from the launch of a new, cheaper version of the Switch, according to two people familiar with the matter who requested anonymity to discuss private plans. The new device will likely be launched by the end of June, according to one of the people. The existing Switch will receive a modest upgrade this year, though a more powerful version is not in the works, the people said.

Nintendo has yet to acknowledge the new hardware, but will likely include it in its guidance, leading to a lot of guesswork and reverse-engineering of the figures, analysts said.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...y-on-china-prospects-hasn-t-scared-off-shorts

Growth in the current period will get a boost from the launch of a new, cheaper version of the Switch, according to two people familiar with the matter who requested anonymity to discuss private plans. The new device will likely be launched by the end of June, according to one of the people. The existing Switch will receive a modest upgrade this year, though a more powerful version is not in the works, the people said.

Nintendo has yet to acknowledge the new hardware, but will likely include it in its guidance, leading to a lot of guesswork and reverse-engineering of the figures, analysts said.
I was debating to post this or not. So thank you. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

scalman

Power mean nothing for me one of best their games still is zelda botw which needed nothing more then wiiu. So power mean nothing with more power games can just become more cheap more simple and dumb so more talent into games thats more important then power
Switch is too large to be really portable so yes we need more portable version of that but same time it could be more powerfull in that more portable body.

Last edited:

tkscz

Hard to say.

They are having consumption issues for a mobile/portable form factor so I believe they are trying one of these options:

- X1 overclocked
- Xavier downclocked

I don't believe nVidia will make a custom chip only to use on Switch... it is not the way nVidia do things and if they are convinced to do that then Nintendo will need to pay a lot for that and I don't thing Nintendo want to pay to nVidia design a custom chip for them.

At the end at Nintendo really want is a new Tegra in 7nm but there is no public plan on nVidia side for a near release.

Of course they could... is Nintendo open to pay nVidia to make a custom chip? I don't think so.
nVidia doesn't like to do custom solutions like AMD and so they ask a hell of money for that.

nVidia like to sell the chips they have already in their portfolio.

No company that asked nVidia to make a custom chip got a good deal in the past and that is why all of them avoid nVidia today.

Well with that being the case, they could go with AMD. Come to think of it there is an unfixable security breach on the Tigra X1 that Nintendo isn't happy with, making that another reason nVidia won't be in a Switch 2. But a pro would probably use Parker at regular clocks. It requires less power and gives less heat, but power for power isn't much more over the X1.

But with AMDs focus on 7nm and all the miniture devices announced lately with the zen+Navi, I wouldn't be surprised if the next Switch model runs on AMD.

TLZ

Banned

Nice. June is soon :)

Zannegan

Sounds (based on these totally unconfirmed rumors) like a pro version was in the works, but didn't work out, so we're left with the "mini" and an upgrade along the lines of the New 3DS, which is to say noticeable but more focused on QoL than power (though I think that did include a significant CPU upgrade).

Oh well. On the plus side (for those of us wgo are insatiably addicted to new hardware and/or the rumormill and drama that accompany them) I foresee a short generation for the Switch overall. Here's hoping they take a page out of MS and Sony(?)'s books and make everything BC next gen.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Cooling is always an issue as electronic architecture advances. But therein, a great challenge awaits! What better and more efficient ways can you think of to cool a CPU/GPU? If Nintendo went to an all-streaming "next-gen" device, then stop reading because the answer revealed itself. If however, Nintendo chooses to add more meat to the unit in terms of processing and overall graphical power, then cooling should not be an issue whatsoever. I believe the cooling complaint is a ruse. There's something else holding up the next iteration of Nintendo's platform. You mean to tell me Nintendo isn't aware of shapes and forms to alter air flow, etc?

Here's one example of a cooling mod for the Switch.

So what is that "something else" holding up the new console? Metroid Prime 4, BOTW2, F-Zero Ultimate, Super Mario Galaxy 3, etc (as examples). Nintendo is not going to announce anything until titles are at least halfway completed. By stated they are "having issues with cooling" is just another way of saying "we aren't going to reveal our strategies and secrets to the competition. We'll make them think we are having problems, then BAM! send them for a spin when they least expect it."

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'd definitely say they'd have larger internal storage and officially add the ability for external hard drives (External hard drive features have already been added on custom firm ware, so it is possible on official firm ware). Most games on the switch are packed pretty well, and it's only been more recent that the games have gotten above ~13GB.

I just bought a 400GB Micro SD card for £35.89. That's a huge amount of space for Switch games, and I reckon

That stinks. I was hoping for a Switch Pro sooner.

I would love a more powerful Switch myself, but I do recognise that it makes absolute commecial sense to release a ghetto Switch next. There is a big crowd of kids who have no objection to buying nasty crap like the OG 2DS, so a 149/199 barebones portable that plays next gen Pokemon Let's Go, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, should be a massive hit

tr1p1ex

Switch "Pro" just going to be to the Switch what the DS Lite was to the DS.

Or what the New 3ds XL was compared to the 3ds XL.

As a new article said it's going to be a modest update as Nintendo is wont to do.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

This isn’t surprising. Manufacturing in China had already become much more expensive in the last 10 years and companies have been looking for alternatives (at one point it seemed like Brazil, but SouthEast Asia and India seem to have won out), but China still has the better infrastructure.

I suspect that even if/when a new trade deal is signed, it will only slow down the inevitable.

Interesting to see Foxconn is ready to go with so many new facilities and not just for Apple.

Top Bottom