• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo's NX platform will use an Android OS

Truespeed

Android-based? I wonder if Nintendo will be able to prevent widespread piracy which I imagine would be a very serious problem for them (unless all their new content is F2P).

This is bad. Android has a huge Piracy Problem, and I think the last thing Nintendo wants is bad sales because of that. They better have a Solution for that

Hope this just means Android apps and games will work on this device. Otherwise, piracy of Nintendo games will probably increase greatly.

I think there's more to the story since there are some issues here right off the bat (mainly piracy), but it's going to be interesting to see how it turns out. This isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on how they handle it.

Keep in mind Iwata already said it's a dedicated game platform.

If this is true I see widespread piracy in Nintendo next consoles future.

I have mixed feelings about this announcement.
On one hand, it means it will finally have a decent account but also that Nintendo is taking forward thinking decisions.

On the other hand... I can see leading this easy piracy and a terrible direction in term of philosophy for their machine.

Wouldn't this create a ton of potential for piracy? And emulations on Android devices?

NX is going to be a OS. Not a phone, but a gaming device.

So basically a tablet/ipod touch but it's a independent gaming system?

This sounds more and more like a Handheld/Console hybrid.... Very interesting to say the least, but I don't think it will be successful.

Piracy actually helps sells hardware. It doesn't help software, but it boosts the numbers of consoles, particularly in countries where the devices gets imposed big tariffs.

edit: piracy is bad though and nobody should pirate video games

I don't think that this is a bad idea, so long as it's heavily customized.

But, while I understand that it's just an OS, isn't it a highly-exploitable one that could devolve into piracy relatively quickly as it was with PSP? Or has that somehow become an invalid concern now?

My #1 hope with this, though, is that it will put an end to Nintendo's use of HTML in eShop and Miiverse and just generally make things work a lot more smoothly. Wii U definitely showed that they don't have the chops to write an OS themselves from scratch, nor any idea how to integrate services into it without using the slowest means possible to do so.

If true, that's the biggest crow I've had to eat yet. I just hope it doesn't lead to rampant piracy.

This is basically my only concern about this.
Hacks/mods and piracy.

I'm having trouble believing this considering how anti piracy Nintendo is. We'll see ;)

I had to stop at 8 pages because it was just getting ridiculous. Windows is the most pirated platform and yet Xbox is based on it. To insinuate that Nintendo won't take Android and transform it into their own bespoke OS, because you know it is free, is just silly.

Maxim726X

It could theoretically happen, but would it really matter if this system is put in place so it's easier to port stuff around? Similar to how interest in homebrew (excluding 3DS) sort of died down for a while after app stores and digital store regulations lessened.

It could matter quite a bit.

If the functionality is ported, there would be no reason to buy the console.

KingV

I'm really happy with this news.

IMO, a new Nintendo handheld has to be able to provide at least iPod touch levels of functionality to make sense in today's market. Android enables all of that functionality for the NX, making it easy to get Facebook, YouTube, HBo GO, etc on both N's next handheld and their consoles.

It also opens the door for a ton of games currently on mobile for easy ports onto Nintendo machines.

I think a highly curated mobile store with parental control options and real controller style controls could be really good.

It could be a great device to give a kid that's not quite old enough for a cellphone.

TedHub

Banned
It could matter quite a bit.

If the functionality is ported, there would be no reason to buy the console.

Yes, but if Nintendo ends up doing what they usually do and have a system-specific gimmick, then the ripped game might just end up being useless elsewhere.

E-phonk

Banned
I admit that I understand very little of how this stuff works beneath the surface... But it seems like anything that's on Android is eventually ripped, which leads me to believe that it's a relatively uniform experience regardless of platform.

For one, they could only allow signed code on the device and not use the .apk format but a proprietary, encrypted format to run software. On top of that they could encrypt the filesystem, obfuscate generated code, use hashes to check if the software is unaltered and do server side verification.

Steph_E.

Define "normal". Whatever is releasing probably isn't releasing next year, and we don't even know what it is. 5 years (2012-2017) seems pretty normal to me. I don't think Iwata's words were mere PR - it's not really in their best interest to betray the consumer confidence they still have if they want their next thing to be successful.

Normal to me means 5 full years. The comment I was responding to thinks a release in 2016 or early 2017 would be be advisable. To me, early 2017 (or even mid 2017) is not acceptable and I would be taking my money elsewhere. But as you say, Nintendo will not want to betray the consumer confidence they still have, so (providing they do not betray me in the meantime) I do think I will probably be buying the next Nintendo console.

Who

Banned
So that's a reason to spend more on R&D, and increase the price of the console?

That makes sense to you?

i was just curious how plausible it would be. It would be a nice selling point to the console being able to play MK8, Smash 4, Splatoon etc. day one.

If the console takes off, a lot of the WiiU gems would be completely new experiences for NX buyers.

Justified

I admit that I understand very little of how this stuff works beneath the surface... But it seems like anything that's on Android is eventually ripped, which leads me to believe that it's a relatively uniform experience regardless of platform.

Android is much more that an OS.

Its true in its most wide use case its easy to be "ripped", but its designed that way to allow you and manufactures to personalized your experience.

However Android can be locked down (see Apache 2.0 license), any propriety pieces that Nintendo adds can be locked down, the only thing the has to disclose is any modification to the underlying linux kernel (per GPLv2)

Maxim726X

Android is much more that an OS.

Its true in its most wide use case its easy to be "ripped", but its design that why to allow you and manufactures to personalized your experience.

However Android can be locked down (see Apache 2.0 license), any propriety pieces that Nintendo adds can be locked down, the only thing the has to disclose is any modification to the underlying linux kernel (per GPLv2)

Interesting, thanks for the information. Questions answered.

LewieP

Even if Nintendo's next home console doesn't have full backwards compatibility with the Wii U, Nintendo could potentially continue to release titles for the Wii U, and have them be crossbuy for whatever the successor console is.

Nintendo are not fools. They know that they need to deliver a decent lifetime for their products if they want people to continue to buy them.

I don't think we'll see a successor for the Wii U until 2018. Likely they will replace the 3DS first, and probably not until 2017.

It's worth remembering that Nintendo talked in vague detail about their future platforms earlier than they ever have before here, coinciding with their announcement that they would be releasing games for mobiles.

Wavebossa

Android OS?

Lol pirates everywhere gonna be like

tumblr_mdjlzxOs7D1r1e0511.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I had to stop at 8 pages because it was just getting ridiculous. Windows is the most pirated platform and yet Xbox is based on it. To insinuate that Nintendo won't take Android and transform it into their own bespoke OS, because you know it is free, is just silly.
I don't know why you quoted me then since the intent of my post is that Android OS can only be beneficial to Nintendo.

i was just curious how plausible it would be. It would be a nice selling point to the console being able to play MK8, Smash 4, Splatoon etc. day one.

If the console takes off, a lot of the WiiU gems would be completely new experiences for NX buyers.

Seems like too much of a headache. Adding Gamepad support and the like. If people want to experience Wii U games they should go and buy a Wii U. I'm sure they'll be dirt cheap by then.

I think NX should and will be Nintendo's change to wipe the slate clean.

LordOfChaos

Regarding piracy and OS overhead

Using Android doesn't have to mean stock Android, even at the core OS level. There are a few things they could do with it. They could do the Microsoft dual OS thing, with a "game OS" and a Windows OS complimenting each other but allowing the benefits of either, or they could introduce their own GX2 (GX3 by then maybe?) API to Android allowing lower level development than Android allows.

Not sure how technically feasible it is but It'd be cool if it was a console/handheld hybrid. Full power console with a 3DS-like controller where you can stream games OR download them onto memory and play the game scaled down in res, textures and effects. Wii U and Gamecube/GBA connectivity could be foreshadowing something more integrated. But I have no idea if something like that is possible atm, sounds like it would be very expensive.

Who

Banned
Seems like too much of a headache. Adding Gamepad support and the like. If people want to experience Wii U games they should go and buy a Wii U. I'm sure they'll be dirt cheap by then.

I think NX should and will be Nintendo's change to wipe the slate clean.
I suppose I agree with the bolded but I really hope off-TV play or something akin to it is an option for NX.

Also, if they do throw out WiiU BC I think it would still be smart for them to offer ports like Smash 4, available day 1

Android OS?

Considering Wii U basically has the same security features as Wii (Nintendo didn't bother changing much), I don't see there being much of a difference. The only reason Wii U hasn't been fully hacked is that nobody cares enough to do it (outside of getting the Gamepad to work w/ PC).

Who

Banned
Considering Wii U basically has the same security features as Wii (Nintendo didn't bother changing much), I don't see there being much of a difference. The only reason Wii U hasn't been fully hacked is that nobody cares enough to do it (outside of getting the Gamepad to work w/ PC).

Wait, not to derail, but have hackers figured out how to get PC games to stream to the gamepad?!?

this will be the smartest decision nintendo has made since the Wii.
I have to agree. This is where Nintendo's forward thinking will reward them, because having an OS like this means they can have many devices with many form factors and prices that can serve the many factions of their fan base.

This will benefit us as gamers in the long run, because they will finally implement an account system where our games are no longer trapped behind the device that we bought them on. I expect this to go hand in hand with this new OS where compatibility will be of little issue. They can keep iterating on it with each hardware jump and it will carry over games and services just like a modern iOS and android device. Welcome to the real world Nintendo...it's about time!

DungeonO

It's worth remembering that Nintendo talked in vague detail about their future platforms earlier than they ever have before here, coinciding with their announcement that they would be releasing games for mobiles.

They first mentioned N64 in 1993, 3 years into the SNES. Wii was first announced at E3 2004, 3 years into the GameCube's life. We're 3 years into the Wii U. They outright replaced the GBA 3 years into it's life. We're right on schedule.

E-phonk

Banned
Is there precedence for another Android-based OS where this is the case?

Not that I know of, but there aren't that many android based OS's at the moment, and not many platforms that want to be closed and locked down. Amazon's kindle apparently allows sideloading (loading unverified apk's) and that opens up the gate to piracy.

Since all apps nintendo releases on it's eshop have to go through a certification process nintendo themselves could encrypt a verified version as part of that process and only allowed those certified versions to run on it's system. On top they could further encrypt each version based on the users NNID, allowing only that NNID user to run that piece of software.

It's a long time ago, but if I remember correctly the reason the WII got hacked so early on was because the key that encoded the Wii software discs was hardcoded into the wii's dvd hardware bios. Since they couldn't update that key, they were unable to stop the piracy later on without locking out all of the earlier produced wii systems.

Wii U doesn't use the same security as Wii afaik, and is better protected

Wait, not to derail, but have hackers figured out how to get PC games to stream to the gamepad?!?
Possibly, but that's not really piracy is it. Piracy is being able to run downloaded versions of Mario 3D world and that hasn't happened yet.

Great news. Seems really unlikely that Nintendo would allow full access to Google Play on their device but I could end up eating crow there.

Justified

Great news. Seems really unlikely that Nintendo would allow full access to Google Play on their device but I could end up eating crow there.

I doubt Nintendo would use Google Play Services at all. I think it would be awesome if Google and Nintendo partner up though (Nintendo Nexus), I don't see it happening though

Edit:

Oh shit, hmmm maybe Nintendo Nexus = Nintendo NX

Wavebossa

Yes Im would almost bet anything Nintendo will use their own Rom (OS), Bootloader (similar to KNOX), modified kernel, and software api

Yeah that seems like the most logical route to go. A modified software api was basically a given, but i'd be very interested to see the extent to which they modify the kernel. If they do a complete overhaul, then the question becomes what benefits were they trying achieve by going with the Android platform?

I guess I assumed they wanted to branch out their ecosystem. Which isn't a very Nintendo-like thing anyway so that's probably not that much of a possibility.

LordOfChaos

Exactly, some locked phone boot loaders have a better record than Nintendo, lol. The Wii was hacked in a breeze, the DS was as well. The Wii U and 3DS have held out, but that's only because of hacking groups being courteous and mindful about killing them with piracy, the common keys have been reverse engineered. The Wii U even used the same security chip as the Wii, bizarrely.

Nintendo could do whatever they wanted with the Android Open Source Project. Granted some changes would bar it from the Play Store at worst, but they're free to do a lot.

Think of what Steam OS is to Debian.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

As an Android fan....now I see what it feels like to be a Nintendo fan these days...lol. Funny thing is....if this is true I might be more interested in NX and Nintendo again.

Yes, but if Nintendo ends up doing what they usually do and have a system-specific gimmick, then the ripped game might just end up being useless elsewhere.

Good point.

Only real way I can see this being doom and gloom, is if Nintendo do a Valve, 10,000 meme runs and angry bird clones sell really good thanks to easy porting (blackberry style) on NX android OS.
Suddenly no reason to release premium content as much.

This more than anything. Thats why I want them to stick with physical media.

For one, they could only allow signed code on the device and not use the .apk format but a proprietary, encrypted format to run software. On top of that they could encrypt the filesystem, obfuscate generated code, use hashes to check if the software is unaltered and do server side verification.

Nice.

Android OS?

tumblr_mdjlzxOs7D1r1e0511.gif

Tell that to Motorola fans after the Droid 1...who had to either deal with work around root methods or just had to wait til Motorola put their webpage up for unlocking your device. Just because it runs Android doesnt mean easy to hack. Look at the PS3 and 360...the PS3 started with Other OS...which could have lead to easier hacks, dont really know. They got rid of that and the PS3 didnt really get hacked until a few years ago. The 360 has been cracked open since day one. Neither one used Windows...one of the most pirated desktop OS's ever.

It became such a hassle many just got an easier to root phone. And that Moto improved their UI so much it wasnt really a need to modify it so much. Do some ppl realize you have to root or unlock Android devices first? Its not as easy as flipping a switch. Motorola made sure to remind ppl of that after the Droid 1. They dont come rooted, unlocked by default. Even Nexus devices you have to do an unlock method...a Nexus is basically a developer phone.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Android is a good foundation for embedded devices with a strong UI stack. Strip away Java from it the way FirefoxOS does (or allow games to bypass the JVM) and you have a universal console/handheld platform.

It's a long time ago, but if I remember correctly the reason the WII got hacked so early on was because the key that encoded the Wii software discs was hardcoded into the wii's dvd hardware bios. Since they couldn't update that key, they were unable to stop the piracy later on without locking out all of the earlier produced wii systems.

Wii U doesn't use the same security as Wii afaik, and is better protected

Hmm. Hadn't heard that detail before. Here's what I read:

On the Wii, the Broadway CPU had no built-in security: games ran on the bare metal and the Starlet handled all security. The Starlet was responsible for kickstarting the Broadway and feeding it code to run. The Wii U extends this architecture by putting some extra security inside the Espresso CPU: now, the Espresso has its own secure boot ROM, like the Starbuck, and will only boot a signed and encrypted code package. This package (which we call an ancast image) is delivered by the Starbuck and verified and decrypted when the Espresso is reset.

And a bit further down:

Thankfully, even though the Espresso has ROM security now, unlike the Starlet/Starbuck, it has no memory firewall or similar protection (i.e. AHBPROT). This means that we are free to mess with the contents of memory while the Espresso boots.

https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

So I did misremember a bit. It's similar but there is some added security vs Wii.

http://libdrc.org/. I don't think it ever really caught on, because it only functions in a specific Linux environment with specific Wi-Fi equipment. Also, the cost and availability of gamepads probably didn't help. The authors demoed Dolphin on the gamepad, and there's a patch for it. I tried writing some code for it myself, and it worked well enough.

Aroll

No he's saying Android has never been adopted to ps360-level hardware which is not really true, we have ps360-level games running on Android.

Actually, I was talking more about being adopted to the home console front with hardware that is actually comparable to traditional home consoles. I did forget about the latest version of Shield, but even still, that doesn't really apply to what I was getting at.

Aroll

Anybody and everybody is free to quote me, 'cos I always mean what I say and I always stick by what I say. If the Wii U doesn't get a FULL 5 years I will never again buy anything whatsoever from Nintendo - EVER.

So if it comes out in 2017, you're golden then? Because that's a 5 year cycle.

What I don't understand from gamers is this mentality that a piece of hardware HAS to last "x # of years". Technology is ever evolving and dedicated gaming platforms seems to be the only realm where consumers are all "stop giving me better stuff, let my old device run for 5+ years!". Imagine if the iPhone 4 was still being used today as the main iPhone product.

Nintendo has stated openly they want future platforms to adhere more to a versions ideal. Where they can release new hardware and all the old stuff works on it, with some new stuff still working on it and s a few only working on the new hardare. That may not be true out the gate, but can be with future iterations after the NX.

We also are still assuming what the NX is. 3DS is due to be replaced before the Wii U.

I guess what I am getting at is: What's wrong with shorter console lives? Especially if a product hasn't taken off and isn't selling - isn't it better for the consumer too to get a new console while the PS4/XbxOne are still relevant that can compete with them and give Ninendo fans more games, rather than push it and end up with Wii U 2.0 a year or two too late, as the other hardware makers have upgraded massively again?

Seiru

Banned
The misinformation and assumptions in this topic are astounding. I suppose this is what happens after years and years of fud about Android is perpetuated by people who have only ever used Apple products.

Did people automatically assume that the Xbox One would have shit-tons of piracy when Microsoft announced that its OS was based upon Windows? Comparisons to the Ouya? Jesus, come on.

RedSwirl

23 pages of overreaction, even after many posts trying to explain the difference between Adroid OS and Android-based OS.

MilesTeg

Banned
I also don't understand the "Wii U needs to last 5 years" thing. It's all about content and right now Wii U doesn't have much. I mean, you would be satisfied with another two and a half years of zero third party releases, less than ten retail games a year? Just so you can say the console lasted X amount of years? If a new Nintendo console can deliver us more content and faster, I want it to release ASAP because frankly the situation with Wii U totally blows and I'd rather not have another two and a half years of it.

KingJ2002

Wow... the idea of Nintendo leaving it's proprietary roots is hard to believe. Especially when Nintendo made all that noise with the new OS they were building and the frameworks to support it.

Having an Android underpinning to it just seems... farfetched.

but if my guess is right with the NX being a hybrid console that comes in mobile and home flavors... it might be the most sound way to do it while ensuring anyone can make / port games to it.

So i guess if it were to happen... it would be a heavily modified OS to ensure smoother Android support.

Top Bottom