• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei says Nintendo about to unveil its approach to mobile development [Update]

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And you're begging the question - the assumption that smart phone users view touch as substandard is inherently flawed. There are millions upon millions who simply don't know any better. That's who Nintendo is targeting.
I wasn't saying touch controls were substandard, just touch controls emulating physical buttons are substandard. You don't have to be a gamer to know the difference between a physical and a virtual button.

The article says they want to give touch device users a sample of what they can get on Nintendo systems. Virtual analogue stick isn't going to do that and I fear would put people off if they have an unsatisfying experience. Look at what happened with the W101 demo. People went from liking it to disliking it because they didn't enjoy the demo. If said demo didn't exist they could have still been a potential consumer.

Too bad it looks like we're not getting a Nintendo Direct. They usually announce it 24 hours to the minute. And the last winter direct was at 9am New York time. You think they'd announce something before the day of the meeting, which with time differences I believe happens around 8 or 9pm eastern time on Wednesday night.

Nintendo really needs to reassure people after all this bad news that's hitting the mainstream. It's gonna make their sales worse if they don't.

I thought the meeting was on Thursday in Japan, is it not? Regardless though I'm kinda skeptical will get a direct this month at all, we had one in December and they're usually bi-monthly, so expect a lot of Tropical Freeze in February's direct.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo now denies this.

"Nikkei's article contains information previously stated by Mr Iwata during past press conferences, including statements which relate to Nintendo's willingness to make use of smart devices to promote our products.

However during such past announcements Mr Iwata has also stated that Nintendo's intention is not to make Nintendo software available on smart devices and as such, we can confirm that there are no plans to offer minigames on smartphone devices."

Wish Engadget had their own source so I could trace back where they got that quote from, but okay.

Edit: They also talked to GameSpot and said the same thing and this as well.

"We will share the materials from Mr Iwata's Corporate Management Policy Briefing in English when his presentation is finished."

Pociask

Nintendo now denies this.

Wish Engadget had their own source so I could trace back where they got that quote from, but okay.

Edit: They also talked to GameSpot and said the same thing and this as well.

Good to see Nintendo getting out on front of this, and confirming that they're just going to have an advertising app. Gosh, imagine if the public started to think that a game company was going to release mini-games on an official app they released. That might generate interest! Wouldn't want that. Nope, it's Nintendo Directs, trailers, and pictures of Iwata holding a banana. That'll get the kids snapping up Wii U's.

narton

I thought the meeting was on Thursday in Japan, is it not? Regardless though I'm kinda skeptical will get a direct this month at all, we had one in December and they're usually bi-monthly, so expect a lot of Tropical Freeze in February's direct.

I went back through David Gibson's twitter recap of their Q2 meeting. Their last meeting took place at around Noon in Japan, or nighttime of the "day before" in the United States. I presume it'll be the same.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I put Nintendo's response and Streets Ahead's summary into the OP when Mpl pointed them out so we have a list of what they did and didn't deny about this report.

Toparaman

Banned
My perfect imaginary Nintendo demo would be simply called "Mario Playground". In said app, you would control 3D Mario in a single mini-open world stage. No timer. No enemies. No deaths. Just obstacles and a few physical playthings for Mario to run, jump, and bounce off of. A slide to go down, a few pools to swim in, a few trees to climb, maybe a large mountain with some platforms to traverse. A few "secret" areas. Imagine the first playable stage of Mario 64 with no shines.

All this with 60fps, classic Mario 64 controls.

Charge $4.99, with .99 for Luigi/Peach/Toad add-ons. End every play session with a "continue Mario's adventures in Super Mario (insert whatever Mario game is coming out next)."

Print money.

Okay. How is the bolded going to work.

I really hope not. The games aren't very good and are simplistic without the depth of a Mario title. Don't lower Mario to that level. And, I don't believe it would drive anymore business to the core Mario titles. Hasn't worked for Rayman.

Let go of the idea that mobile should necessarily drive people to the full handheld/console versions. That's never going to happen (in large numbers), should not be the intention, and shouldn't even enter into the equation. Going mobile cannot be about propping up handheld. At best, it will slightly undermine it. At worst, it could completely gut it. And that would be fine, as long as Nintendo came out ahead of where they would be otherwise.

Now, as a traditional gamer, someone interested in the present handheld experiences or even console experiences that might forever go away, that might not be fine, but frankly, traditional gamers are irrelevant here.

Sees like this is something they should have done a while ago.

Make an ios/android app, broadcast directs through it. Use push notfications to remind customers of release dates, have spotpass downloads of games.

It's not going to fix all their problems but it's a start.

Shiggy

I hope they won't upload their Nintendo Directs in that app. Those are probably rather turning potential buyers away.

Okay. How is the bolded going to work.

I wasn't saying touch controls were substandard, just touch controls emulating physical buttons are substandard. You don't have to be a gamer to know the difference between a physical and a virtual button.

The article says they want to give touch device users a sample of what they can get on Nintendo systems. Virtual analogue stick isn't going to do that and I fear would put people off if they have an unsatisfying experience. Look at what happened with the W101 demo. People went from liking it to disliking it because they didn't enjoy the demo. If said demo didn't exist they could have still been a potential consumer.

Super Mario 64 DS exists, and offered both digital control and virtual touch screen buttons. A virtual dpad is simply another compromise. There are a lot of 3D phone games with virtual pads for movement, including Minecraft, GTA, Infinity Blade, and Dead Trigger.

We consider them substandard for 3d gaming, much like PC gaf considers dual analog substandard for shooters. But many users swear by them, and if Nintendo is advertising to these people, they have to make their gameplay experiences palatable to touch users.

If the alternative is people never sampling their ip, they are better off just burying their heads in the sand.

KtSlime

I hope they don't go too far with this. The internet moaners over the past year saying they should go to mobile don't know how to run a business, and to appease those would be a bad move. Also the mobile gaming boom has dramatically died down, chucking a touch control mario on phones and telling me to go buy the full game after I finish playing it is not going to sell me on anything.

Nintendo's problem has been marketing and branding, not the quality of their system or first party lineup (you only need to look at how their titles review).

It's died down in Japan?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So an app to market their games. Really?

No thanks.

I put Nintendo's response and Streets Ahead's summary into the OP when Mpl pointed them out so we have a list of what they did and didn't deny about this report.

Thank you! I love when you perform those mod edits and add in more stuff that the thread has learned. It's very helpful for people who come in late! :)

I went back through David Gibson's twitter recap of their Q2 meeting. Their last meeting took place at around Noon in Japan, or nighttime of the "day before" in the United States. I presume it'll be the same.

I get what you were saying now lol, I don't think there's going to be a direct this month.

I posted the following in the other thread:

It was originally in response to this:

Rösti;98681407 said:
I believe the CMPB will be around 10:00 a.m. JST, though I haven't been able to verify this. The earnings release should be after the close of the market (TSE) JST 03:00 p.m. Someone with more intel could perhaps give a heads up on this.

Here is the data that I have:

Q3 2014 Nintendo Earnings Release
01/29/14 / 04:00PM JST
01/29/14 / 02:00AM EST

t1390978800z1.png

Q3 2014 Nintendo Earnings Presentation
01/30/14 / 10:00AM JST
01/29/14 / 08:00PM EST

t1391043600z1.png

Location for Earnings Presentation:
Hotel New Otani Tokyo
4-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 102-8578
JP

Information sourced from:
Toshihiko Matsuda
Manager of Tokyo Office in Main Sales Unit
Phone: 81-3-5820-2251

Nintendo Co Ltd
11-1, Hokotate-cho
Kamitoba, Minami-ku
KYOTO-SHI KYT 601-8501
Japan
Phone: 81-75-662-9600

Historical GAF threads on Nintendo Earnings Releases:

Q1 2012: (07-28-2011, 03:18 AM EST)
Q2 2012: (10-27-2011, 03:29 AM EST)
Q3 2012: (01-26-2012, 02:18 AM EST)
Q4 2012: (04-26-2012, 03:06 AM EST)

Q1 2013: (07-25-2012, 03:12 AM EST)
Q2 2013: (10-24-2012, 04:56 AM EST)
Q3 2013: (01-30-2013, 02:21 AM EST)
Q4 2013: (04-24-2013, 03:18 AM EST)

Q1 2014: (07-31-2013, 03:09 AM EST)
Q2 2014: (10-30-2013, 03:06 AM EST)
Q3 2014: (01-29-2013, 02:10 AM EST PROJECTED NEW THREAD)

Historical Start Date for Nintendo Earnings Presentations:

Q1 2012: 07/28/11 / 09:00PM EST
Q2 2012: 10/27/11 / 09:00PM EST
Q3 2013: 01/26/12 / 08:00PM EST
Q4 2013: 04/25/11 / 09:00PM EST

Q2 2013: 10/24/12 / 09:00PM EST
Q3 2013: 01/30/13 / 08:00PM EST
Q4 2013: 04/24/13 / 09:00PM EST

Q2 2014: 10/30/13 / 09:00PM EST
Q3 2013: 01/29/14 / 08:00PM PROJECTED

Picture of Q4 2013 Earnings Presentation:

BVOo6Mi.jpg

Picture of Last Quarter's (Q2 2014) Earnings Presentation:

6jOD2PC.jpg

If the magazine is right and nintendo is looking into letting digital purchases be made on smart devices...

Incoming digital account system??

Sandfox

It's gotta be more than that, it really does. If that's what it ends up being that is going to be one serious misunderstanding of the problem.

Even if you just read the op you'd realize there's more and that's ignoring the things they obviously have to talk about.

Top Bottom