• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Sony has OLED TV development on hold, focus on 4K LCD TVs instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUsual

Gold Member
If they are not going to focus on making 1080p tvs better. then why dont their gaming console support 4k?

Why would anyone want to upgrade to 4k before 4k content is mainstream? I could see myself upgrading to oled sometime in the future but not 4k.

Because its 4K! Don't underestimate the selling power of salesman convincing uninformed consumers on this stuff.

Well, at least their balance sheets will have decent black levels.

Well done.

Guys, I'm looking to a TV in the winter. After having to open up my samsung and solder in new capacitors, I will never buy another Samsung. With Sony off-loading as much production as possible, who is the quality television maker I should feel comfortable spending real change on?

Vashetti

Banned
Consumers don't care about quality, they want a TV for under $500/£500 that fits this quota - 1080p/40"+

Plasma, LCD, OLED, w/e they don't care.

This is why streaming is going to take over (sadly). As long as people see 1080p, they don't care. Bitrates, black qualities, video settings (sharpness, brightness, etc.) means nothing to them.

Ty4on

I guess the reason is TVs have to be so huge nowadays. Just give me a 20' OLED 4k PC monitor that isn't pentile.

leroidys

Well done.

Guys, I'm looking to a TV in the winter. After having to open up my samsung and solder in new capacitors, I will never buy another Samsung. With Sony off-loading as much production as possible, who is the quality television maker I should feel comfortable spending real change on?

I would like to know this too.

harSon

Banned
This move proves that Sony doesn't get it. There's a reason why Vizio was able to break into the industry and is now able to compete with the big boys. Study and learn from it Sony. You're not going to save your television sector by focusing on televisions that costs considerably more per diagonal inch than their immediate like-size competitors.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What are the advantages of OLED over LED/LCD? What are the disadvantages?

What about backlight bleed/clouding?
OLED is self-emissive so no backlight issues at all. It offers near perfect blacks and infinite contrast ratio. It also handles off angle viewing decently and has great uniformity. It has some slight loss of resolution in motion and some image retention but both are pretty minor.

SRG01

OLED is self-emissive so no backlight issues at all. It offers near perfect blacks and infinite contrast ratio. It also handles off angle viewing decently and has great uniformity. It has some slight loss of resolution in motion and some image retention but both are pretty minor.

I think some OLED panels are more "saturated" than LCD displays too, but that's easily corrected.

edit: I think it's a good move that Sony moved away from OLED. It doesn't make sense for them to be investing dollars in a sector that will become commoditized in the next couple of years versus an emerging sector.

This move proves that Sony doesn't get it. There's a reason why Vizio was able to break into the industry and is now able to compete with the big boys. Study and learn from it Sony. You're not going to save your television sector by focusing on televisions that costs considerably more per diagonal inch than their immediate like-size competitors.

Marketing terms like full-hd and cheap as shit components leading to cheap prices for televisions that drastically underperform on many other metrics not as easily understood by the broad public? Don't think Sony is interested in competing in that sphere.

velociraptor

Sweet. Sounds like it OLED is worthy to replace the king (plasma).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom