• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja’s move to mixer has cost him 30% of his audience on average

Bryank75

Banned
His average on Twitch was 37,702, on Mixer it is 26,438. Those stats are a bit distorted as well, Ninja’s first stream on Mixer reached a peak of about 85,000 viewers while his most recent complete stream peaked at 18,000.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Its all figures for him in the short term. He might not care if the contract is paying him more in guaranteed money than he is losing in no. of viewers.

BUT in the long term this could hurt his visibility and ultimately his bottom line.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Am I right in thinking Mixer will be quite pleased with that figure? They can't have expected his whole audience to come with him, and 70% seems like a decent figure.

That’s also a whole lot of people who may stick around and check out other streamers, or slowly come to like the site (Mixer is pretty excellent, technically).

30% seems like the low end of what Ninja stood to lose here, and was likely accounted for in the contract. I think this is actually pretty positive news for him and Microsoft.

Birdo

Banned
That's actually quite impressive. I was expecting a way bigger drop.

It will rise, I'm sure.

Katsura

Its all figures for him in the short term. He might not care if the contract is paying him more in guaranteed money than he is losing in no. of viewers.

BUT in the long term this could hurt his visibility and ultimately his bottom line.
True but does he have long term sustainability? Does any streamer? I can't blame him for cashing out while he is still on top

Serianox

Mixer has to be really happy that they managed to get the majority of his viewerbase to move over to their platform. Especially considering that this type move has generally resulted in the streamer losing most of his audience in similar situations since the death of Own3d.tv. As for Ninja this is the best case scenario for him since he gets to keep making similar money to what he would make on average on Twitch on top of the massive pile of money he got from Mixer.

Grinchy

Banned
Didn't he just get some exclusive deal where he gets to be the first person on the internet to stream the new Gears? I can see events like that being pretty huge for his numbers and for Microsoft trying to push their titles on Fortnite kids.

Kerotan

Yeah it will continue downwards. Bad decision for his popularity but in fairness definitely worth it for $50m. He'll make millions more over the next few years regardless. I'd have done the same. I wonder will MS poach more big streamers because they'll need to if they want mixer to take off.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Sounds like a good trade for the 50 million they gave him. I'd just ride out the contract and retire if it was me :messenger_horns:

angelic

Banned
giphy.gif

jakinov

I don't watch Ninja except for last night to see Gears gameplay but he kept wanting to play WoW; and wasn't he famous as a Fornite player. I know WoW classic is popular right now but a segment of his viewers could simply be hoping for more Fornite.

TeamGhobad

Banned
only 30%???

i take that as a win. all they need to do now is to get the doc, shroud, a few boob streamers and they are golden.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Post is from August 13th. Got anything more up to date? By now it's probably more than 30%

Not that it can count as science or even hard facts, but when I checked his WoW stream yesterday, he had just below 10k viewers.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'd be "retiring" from streaming as soon as my various contracts allowed me to do so. Let the money do the work from here on out and spend your time on more interesting activities.

Kenpachii

didn't he banked like 50m for the transfer?

Yea even if his only viewer was him mom at this point for the rest of his life i don't think he cares.

TaroYamada

First reply had it pretty much nailed down, I anticipated much worse and I have to believe that Mixer is pleased with the figure at this point.

Ten_Fold

I mean ninja made a lot of money off of moving to mixer, Which boost mixer’s viewer count even though it lowered ninja’s. Still I think Microsoft could use a few more high profile twitch streamers, and even find someone who gets lots of views on twitch and regularly plays gears 5.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Why do people enjoy watching him?

He was a practical prodigy at Fortnite during the early days. Considering that the game was also brutally hard for first-timers, you could go check Ninja out, learn some things, watch some insane and entertaining gameplay, and Ninja can be pretty likable himself.

Add in the rise of Fortnite, Ninja making headlines for streaming with people like Drake, and you pretty much have it.

As for today? Not sure. The game has changed a crazy amount and he isn’t the best anymore, by a long shot. He also just seems miserable all the time, with his multimillion dollar job and opportunities, while whining that the game isn’t being made specifically the way he wants. That’s not a problem unique to him, though. I guess an object in motion tends to stay in motion, even when it comes to hype.

Top Bottom