• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, or Ninja Gaiden Sigma...?

While I take Black over Sigma, I take Sigma 2 over NG2.

and yeah, that guy is trippin if he thinks Sigma looks worse than Black. That was obviously somewhat optimized for current gen.

Speevy

Banned
I've said this before and no one believes me. Ninja Gaiden is action game heroin. It hits that sweet spot like Mario 64 or Jet Set Radio.

But to be successful, flip off the wall and guillotine everything.

Maxim726X

Black is in the Holy Trinity of action games.

NG2 is fucking terrible... I thought about picking up Sigma but my hatred is so profound for NG2 that I won't ever give the game another chance.

Ellis Kim

Banned
MjFrancis said:
Ninja Dog mode was significantly easier, at the very least.
If the OP wants to be a Ninja Dog, he could might as well get Sigma and die 3 times for the wuss ribbon.

I don't think OP wants to be a Ninja dog. I love how everyone who is recommending Black isn't even noticing the OP's particular predicament... unless they're all secretly back-handed Ninja Dog recommendations.

Seriously, though, I recommend the OP sticks with the copy he has and just push forward. Take a break if you have to.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Jigsaw said:
wtf?...WTF?!

sigma looks like the bullshots of black
It's been awhile since I played Black and I no longer have a 360, but there was some low resolution water in Sigma. IIRC it was in the 3rd level. There was also screen tearing and slow down in Sigma. I don't remember that in Black even when played on 360. NGB upscaled very nicely on 360 and even added AA to reduce the jaggies. So in that respect I think Sigma looks worse, but yes I agree that for the most part the environments and character models do look better, but NGB looks so good to begin with I'd rather sacrifice that for performance and a better overall experience.

elohel

TruePrime said:
No Sigma has some pretty big changes to it that to some make it worse then Black.

such as?

some save point changes, and flying swallow on the last boss again I think....but what else in terms of balance?

sixghost

The only thing that can be classified as cheap in NG Black is the electric fish on master ninja. There is hard, and there is bullshit. Love the rest of the game though.

ReXXXSoprano said:
If you have a way to get the Hurricane Packs at this juncture then that would be THE choice. But Black suffices just as well though.
Bah, Intercept ruins Vanilla NG IMO. Black is superior.

Sigma over Black. Sigma 2 over NG2

More content is better to me even if that content isn't to the quality of the main title.

_dementia said:
Bah, Intercept ruins Vanilla NG IMO. Black is superior.

Intercept is nasty I will admit but you actually need some skill to make it gamebreaking. And Vanilla had the Trilogy and that's way better than the Arcade version in Black IMO.

I'd stick with what you have already. If you end up really loving the game, then check out Sigma or Black. Neither will make you become a fan of Ninja Gaiden if you aren't enjoying the original; you'll just be out more money on a style of game you don't really dig.

Between the three I definitely liked Sigma more, but that had more to do with me preferring the PS3 controller over the 360 one as anything about the actual games. I'm probably also in the minority in that I enjoyed the Rachael sections.

benzy

I feel the need to post this gif in every NG thread.

ryuswukfp.gif

gioGAF

The ONLY correct answer is Ninja Gaiden BLACK.

It is by FAR the best version of this game. The original was good, Black just tweaked things for the better. Black obsoletes vanilla NG on xbox.

I was so hyped for Ninja Gaiden Sigma, but it is nowhere near as good as Black. The Rachel sections are annoying. The game play tweaks are not really for the better since they changed enough things to make this game a strict DOWNGRADE from Black. All Tecmo had to do was repackage Ninja Gaiden Black on PS3, with improved visuals and guaranteed 60 fps, but that is not what we go.

BTW, losing in Ninja Gaiden Black is almost never cheap, it is usually due to you needing more practice.

This:
Ninja Gaiden Black is a masterpiece.

teamaxe

^^There have been some excellent action games that have come out since Ninja Gaiden. But, honestly, I don't think that they've topped that particular gif for me. There are certainly more outrageous things in God of War and Bayonetta, but I prefer the dynamic stuff like that in NG.

That's not a finishing move or a scripted event. I don't know what difficulty it's on, but he had to Flying Swallow all three of those guys in either mid-fire or reload. FS wouldn't have killed all three of them with full health, IIRC. I suspect the front two had transitioned into their melee mode, because you'll notice that their stun rods are out while they're dying. That would've counted as a counter attack that would've allowed FS to insta-kill. The third guy is still in covering-fire mode (stun rod still sheathed).

...and they all had to be lined up for him to do the wall run FS. Out of the hundreds of hours of playing NG, I don't think I've ever even pulled off that gif.

I don't know how people can argue that there aren't points in this game that are cheap. Yes, the overall combat is rewarding and skill based, but the projectiles in this game are so far over the top and completely unneeded that I wonder why they are even in the game at all. You can't see where they are coming from half the time, and the other half I can't tell if I've been stuck with an explosive shuriken, or if I've somehow dodged it and it's just sticking to the floor. Not to mention a TON of these fights happen in extremely small hallways/corridors, and you are outnumbered sometimes 5-to-1, making it very difficult to roll and escape or wall jump, THEN reset the camera just so you can see where the enemies are, and THEN counter attack.

I'm not saying the entire game is cheap -- far from it -- but to say there is NOTHING cheap about this game is about as fanboyish as one can get.

StuBurns

Banned
Since people are widening the discussion to the sequel, although Black is better than Sigma, from what I played of Sigma 2, I imagine it's better than 2.

StuBurns said:
Since people are widening the discussion to the sequel, although Black is better than Sigma, from what I played of Sigma 2, I imagine it's better than 2.

Problem with Sigma 2 is, it wants to be Black (which is fine) but doesn't fit to the combat-engine of ng2. Sigma 2 levels are so empty, you can run 2-3mins without encountering an enemy and obliteration makes it so easy with less enemies. It's so boring. I agree that ng2 isn't the best but sigma 2 fixes stuff while totally screwing other parts up.

tsab

I haven't played NGB, only NG and NGS. I would say NGS for the quick inventory and some camera fixes over the NG1.

Although I miss the Star Wars costume from NG1 :(

black is easily one of the best (if not THE best) action games i have ever played. sigma was just bleh with the rachel missions and everything.

and don't get me fucking started on ninja gaiden 2.

Black by far. Brutal and unforgiving but one of my favourite games of all time. Also plays like a dream on the 360, grab it from GoD/Xbox Originals on the marketplace.

Top Bottom