• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Just dropped in a couple US DS games (NSMB, Mario Kart, Children of Mana, FF3, Castlevania) just to make sure it works. So far so good. ^^

seady said:
What do you do with it? Just watch it pop out and that's it?

Yeah, it's all diorama type stuff. It's a neat little diversion and I'm pretty sure there'll be more down the line to download, etc.

Kard8p3 said:
Can you get your Mii and the Nintendo characters on there at once?

Didn't have any luck doing that, but I dunno if I'm doing something wrong. I'll keep trying it out just to make sure.

careksims

JEALOUS! But I will wait next and I made the right choice picking blue. My fave color! Damn! Thanks for showing all the pics Japan GAF!

BowieZ said:
I made this rough photoshop after the clear PSP2 was unveiled (excuse the shitty buttons lol)

28cn0uo.png

I would do bad things for this.

that is pretty cool if it was this ice white and not ds lite white

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
wsippel said:
The A55 uses the exact same file format as the 3DS.
So normally if I put my A55 pictures in the right 3Ds SD card folder, it should work... Except if there is a file size limitation. It would be great as my A55 can take amazing pictures and as I have no 3DTV I have never seen what its 3D pictures look like.

That would be awesome 0_o

daffy

Banned
seady said:
What do you do with it? Just watch it pop out and that's it?
Son, you can arrange that shit around and make little mini adventures with your favorite Nintendo characters. This is unheard of. Imagine the potential of putting Link and Samus on your shoulders at Disneyland, or positioning Mario and Pikmin into sweet poses out on the patio.

The 3D revolution is now. You in or out?

BooJoh

wsippel said:
The A55 uses the exact same file format as the 3DS.
Unfortunately the DSi wouldn't display JPGs that weren't taken with a DSi. They had some sort of special header, and even taking a pic with DSi, editing it on a PC, and putting it back, it wouldn't display after that.

I'm hoping this isn't the case with 3DS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
BooJoh said:
Unfortunately the DSi wouldn't display JPGs that weren't taken with a DSi. They had some sort of special header, and even taking a pic with DSi, editing it on a PC, and putting it back, it wouldn't display after that.

I knew it sounded too good to be true.

seady

I don't understand why people always give Nintendo so much shit for releasing a new model of handheld.

You never hear people complain to Apple about their annual iteration of iPod(NanoShuffleTouchClassic)/iPhone/Macbook, you never hear people complain to Sony about the PSP1000-3000/PSPgo/PS?Slim. When Sony release the PS3 you don't hear people say "I will wait for the PS3 Slim" kinda crap.

wsippel

Banned
BooJoh said:

Huh, didn't know that. Weird. Yeah, I hope this isn't the case with the 3DS.

I was actually really disappointed when I first found out the 3DS has a dual core ARM11 for the CPU that is basically two generations behind rather than a newer cortex A8 or A9.

Looking at the graphics on Super Street Fighter though, now I am thinking maybe the CPU is pretty much irrelevent to gaming graphics and it's all about the GPU. I'm wondering roughly how does the GPU compare to something like the SGX543 found in the NGP. Are the two generations apart in terms of performance?

Zzoram

seady said:
I don't understand why people always give Nintendo so much shit for releasing a new model of handheld.

You never hear people complain to Apple about their annual iteration of iPod/iPhone/Macbook, you never hear people complain to Sony about the PSP1000-3000/PSPgo/PS?Slim. When Sony release the PS3 you don't hear people say "I will wait for the PS3 Slim" kinda crap.

It's because first revision Nintendo handhelds are always way uglier than rev2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stephen Colbert said:
I was actually really disappointed when I first found out the 3DS has a dual core ARM11 for the CPU that is basically two generations behind rather than a newer cortex A8 or A9.

That is assuming IGN's specs are correct, isn't it? As far as I'm aware Nintendo hasn't released official specs on the 3DS outside of the GPU.

Looking at the graphics on Super Street Fighter though, now I am thinking maybe the CPU is pretty much irrelevent to gaming graphics and it's all about the GPU. I'm wondering roughly how does the GPU compare to something like the SGX543 found in the NGP. Are the two generations apart in terms of performance?

The PSP2 is leagues ahead of the 3DS in pretty much every which way, GPU included. They wont be able to compete on any front. What the 3DS has over, say, the DS, GameCube, and even Wii is that the GPU is more flexible at getting shaders up and running. So when we look at stuff like Street Fighter and Resident Evil we can see all the bump mapping and what-not, stuff that modern games use, while the Wii struggles due to the difficulty of programming them.

Until we get official specs I remain adamant that the 3DS cant push poly counts and texture resolution on par with the best of the GCN and Wii, but the added benefit of a shader capable GPU helps make games look tons better than they otherwise would.

My biggest disappointment is how fucking ugly so many games look so far. Stuff like SSFIV and Resident Evil look gorgeous, as well as some Nintendo stuff, but the rest looks like dogshit. Ridge Racer looking worse than the PSP launch version is a woeful way to sell the graphics capabilities of the system (not that it's trying to).

I'm thinking WiFi is the big culprit of the huge battery consumption. I've been playing straight since 10pm PST off of a full charge with the WiFi turned off after 30 minutes of online play. Played some AR games, took some pics, dropped in a couple DS games... 3 hours later, half charge. Full everything with pretty much playing SSFIV straight got me 2:45 like I said earlier.

Dropped in SSFIV again, so let's see how it holds up.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Any reason two 3DS' could not see the same marker cards? Only difference would be displaying them at different camera angles.

Man! Imagine the 2 player games they could come up with this tech. Playing smash bros. on your kitchen table would be surreal.

Stephen Colbert said:

It's a hard comparison to make since it takes a completely different approach to its visuals than the SGX does. It's not going to be as powerful obviously but since it has hardware fixed function shaders and shadow maestro (I'm sure that's built into the hardware), it can do a lot of the effects that the 360 & PS3 do for free.

Also, those ARM 11s are supposedly clocked at 266mhz. That's lower than any ARM 11 processor sold on the market, meaning that they are underclocked. It's possible that some games could choose to increase their clockspeed as needed.

It's not going to be able to compare to the NGP on a technical level, but in terms of what you actually see I reckon that it holds its own quite well thanks to the shaders and support for other modern graphical effects.

In short, don't worry about the specs and just enjoy the games! If the games look good, they why worry about the specs?

EatChildren said:
That is assuming IGN's specs are correct, isn't it? As far as I'm aware Nintendo hasn't released official specs on the 3DS outside of the GPU.

The PSP2 is leagues ahead of the 3DS in pretty much every which way, GPU included. They wont be able to compete on any front. What the 3DS has over, say, the DS, GameCube, and even Wii is that the GPU is more flexible at getting shaders up and running. So when we look at stuff like Street Fighter and Resident Evil we can see all the bump mapping and what-not, stuff that modern games use, while the Wii struggles due to the difficulty of programming them.

Until we get official specs I remain adamant that the 3DS cant push poly counts and texture resolution on par with the best of the GCN and Wii, but the added benefit of a shader capable GPU helps make games look tons better than they otherwise would.

My biggest disappointment is how fucking ugly so many games look so far. Stuff like SSFIV and Resident Evil look gorgeous, as well as some Nintendo stuff, but the rest looks like dogshit. Ridge Racer looking worse than the PSP launch version is a woeful way to sell the graphics capabilities of the system (not that it's trying to).

Why wouldn't it be capable of the same texture resolution? What makes you think that it can't match the GCN? It has more RAM than the GCN and Street Fighter has far better textures than anything on the GCN does.

As for polygon count, it's at least double the PS2 (Tales of Abyss and PES 2011 use PS2 assets in 3D - hence the doubling of the PS2).

RE Mercenaries seems to at least match RE4 GCN as well and that was probably the GCN's best looking game! (and also probably the one that pushed the most polys outside of Rebel Strike)

Jomjom

Banned
donkey show said:
Just dropped in a couple US DS games (NSMB, Mario Kart, Children of Mana, FF3, Castlevania) just to make sure it works. So far so good. ^^

So 3DS doesn't have region locking?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jling84 said:
So 3DS doesn't have region locking?

It does. DS games were never region locked, so he was just testing they would work, and they do.

3DS games wont.

donkey show said:
I'm thinking WiFi is the big culprit of the huge battery consumption. I've been playing straight since 10pm PST off of a full charge with the WiFi turned off after 30 minutes of online play. Played some AR games, took some pics, dropped in a couple DS games... 2 hours later, half charge. Full everything with pretty much playing SSFIV straight got me 2:45 like I said earlier.

Dropped in SSFIV again, so let's see how it holds up.
Odd question but the battery icon, does it show how much charge is left by bars or is it like... I don't know how to explain it lol. If you understand what I'm asking then good job!

Edit: Is it also true you can have both the music player and a game running?

BowieZ

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Any reason two 3DS' could not see the same marker cards? Only difference would be displaying them at different camera angles.

Man! Imagine the 2 player games they could come up with this tech. Playing smash bros. on your kitchen table would be surreal.
Imagine playing it online with the other person's character projected into your reality.

MatthewB92 said:
Odd question but the battery icon, does it show how much charge is left by bars or is it like... I don't know how to explain it lol. If you understand what I'm asking then good job!

Edit: Is it also true you can have both the music player and a game running?
Dunno about the music thing, but the battery icon has 4 bars in it.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
BowieZ said:
Imagine playing it online with the other person's character projected into your reality.
hmmm, but wouldn't that requires sending the entire video image to each others 3DS?

BowieZ

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
hmmm, but wouldn't that requires sending the entire video image to each others 3DS?
No? At least I don't think so... just needs data of what your character is doing, and what their character is doing... it only needs to project that combined data once on both people's screens.

Vic said:
PSP grave lmao!!
i6016p.png

DonMigs85

Nuclear Muffin said:
They do look blurry unfortunately (I was the first to try it out).

Anyway, eagerly awaiting best-case battery life tests!
I assume there's no option to display them at 1:1 pixel ratio like DS does for GBA right? After all, that would leave blank space on the touch screen...

donkey show said:
Eh? The DS games didn't look that way on my end.

Oh don't get me wrong, they don't look terrible, but there is definitely some noticeable blur.

If you look at them running side by side on a 3DS VS a DSi or DS Lite, you'll notice the difference.

DonMigs85 said:
I assume there's no option to display them at 1:1 pixel ratio like DS does for GBA right? After all, that would leave blank space on the touch screen...

Nope no option. Obviously it would make many touch screen games unplayable.

staging this on top of a PSP was such a troll

the grave covered the whole card with dirt why could they not cover the card with grass or rocks for the Star Viewer Cards?

Can a fellow gafster from Japan do a little review of each augmented reality card? I'm still confused, do they all feature an associated minigame? And can you mix and match any card with another and what happens when you pot samus and link on the table, etc.

It's all a mystery to me.

-MB- said:
in other news, supposedly some flashcard maker already managed to get a DS flashcard working on 3DS

click

okay what does these flashcards allow people to do?
piracy? homebrew?

can they unlock the regional lock of the 3DS side if this is just a DS boot big deal

Smiles and Cries said:
piracy? homebrew?

can they unlock the regional lock of the 3DS side if this is just a DS boot big deal
All it does is make it so DS games can be played on the 3DS through a flash card. That's it. The can't unlock it until it's cracked.

EatChildren

Smiles and Cries said:
piracy? homebrew?

He's using the R4 flashcard with the most compatible firmware (Wood). It's a flash cart, so people use it to dump game ROMS on the cart and run from the system. It can be used for homebrew, but most people use it for piracy, as it allows people to just download games an dump them on the cart to run.

Igor Antunov said:
Can a fellow gafster from Japan do a little review of each augmented reality card? I'm still confused, do they all feature an associated minigame? And can you mix and match any card with another and what happens when you pot samus and link on the table, etc.

It's all a mystery to me.
It's not so much each card as it is the 6 mini-games that come preloaded in the system.

- target shooting game
- a mini golf-esque game
- fishing game
- 3d paint game
- picture viewer with character cards
- picture viewer with your Miis

The only time you'll really need specific cards are during the picture viewer mini-games where you move the specific characters around your desk, kitchen, toilet, etc. The Mii one only uses the ? mark card from what I've messed around with so far.

The other games you can use whatever cards you have. The first 3 games all end in fighting a dragon using the gameplay technique the mini-game is based off of. Really fun stuff.

And just killed the battery again to shut-off. With on and off wi-fi action for about 30 minutes and everything else running at full brightness, 3D, volume, I got about 3 hours and 45 minutes. This was of course with a smattering of SSFIV online battles, more AR games, playing some DS games for about 20 minutes, and again more SSFIV but just single player.

-MB- said:
in other news, supposedly some flashcard maker already managed to get a DS flashcard working on 3DS

click

Posting from my phone and I can't get the link to load.

Is there any chance that link is fake/a hoax. Do they show actual gameplay or multiple games working?

Being able to play all my DS games without having to constantly swap cartrages and take them all with me wherever I go is really useful functionality. I hope I can do that again with the 3DS, atleast for my DS game library.

Chesskid1

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
Posting from my phone and I can't get the link to load. Could someone please sum up what the link says. Being able to play all my DS games without having to constantly swap cartrages and take them all with me wherever I go is really useful functionality. I hope I can do that again with the 3DS atleast for my DS game library.

its a video of someone putting a flash cart in a 3ds, then it successfully booting.

Top Bottom