• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Izayoi

Banned
Master Milk said:
Any speculation on when they'll do new colors? I won't bite until they start making them purple.
The earliest we'll see new colors is Holiday of this year, and even then I doubt it.

Nintendo is going to be struggling to put up with demand as it is. I doubt they'll have the manufacturing capacity to keep up with just two colors, let alone more.

EatChildren said:
You know how Nintendo work. Before we get a second analogue stick we'll get some 'revolutionary' shit, like the ability to swap the d-pad and analogue stick positions.
Ha.

Amir0x said:
There was a regular controller that did that before, iirc. Probably would be bad news for a handheld. Imagine the news stories?

"Parents complain that the analog and d-pad are lost too easily; fall off system apparently without much effort."
I think he's referencing an early 3DS (maybe it was DS?) concept where they actually were swappable. Showed up in a recent Iwata Asks IIRC.

Edit: Yup.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Are you saying Donkey is wrong?
many people think Cod MW and its followers are 60 fps locked. they aren't but they feel smoother than 30 fps to a point where many people can't tell the difference.

when i'm playing a game that wavers from 40 to 60 fps on PC i can absolutely tell the difference between that and a game locked at 60. people are just sensitive to different things.

many people wouldn't notice a drop to 50 fps from 60 fps, but that doesn't mean that it isn't dropping more often in 3D (presuming that it runs at 60 fps at all in 3D mode).

Zzoram

Were there new colour DS phats or was it not until DS Lite that the colour options expanded? They'll probably follow a similar timeline as the DS to try to replicate it's success.

Amir0x

Banned
Izayoi said:
I think he's referencing an early 3DS (maybe it was DS?) concept where they actually were swappable. Showed up in a recent Iwata Aska IIRC.

I thought that was for the original DS, yeah. Anyway it's a good idea.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Smiles and Cries said:
they just need to stop using Opera

What's wrong with Opera???

Also, to all the folks saying "3DS XL" -- I don't see how that's going to change unless someone magically fixes the problem of the current 3D screen tech not working at larger sizes. I thought the 3DS was using the largest size screen that worked with this technology.

Amir0x

Banned
MisterHero said:
But do pre-orders mean squat if you don't show up on time? Don't people line-up for such an occurence?

I know Gamestop gives you 48 hours. Pretty sure most places give you a leeway time.

DavidDayton said:
Also, to all the folks saying "3DS XL" -- I don't see how that's going to change unless someone magically fixes the problem of the current 3D screen tech not working at larger sizes. I thought the 3DS was using the largest size screen that worked with this technology.

I didn't know that. File another way away for the 2D camp. *raises flag*

DavidDayton said:

Amir0x hates them but he hates everything

Amir0x

Banned
Izayoi said:
Hell yes.

No pre-order.

Below freezing.

Six hours early.

Final destination.

no pre-order?

where you linin' up at

Smiles and Cries said:
Amir0x hates them but he hates everything

I have no opinion on Opera, except that it didn't work too well on Wii so I wouldn't suspect it would be special on 3DS. I am a Firefox man though

Izayoi

Banned
DavidDayton said:

What?

The tech has been demoed on full-size panels before. Size has nothing to do with it.

Can someone confirm if the 3DS ABXY buttons are the same size as the DS Lite/DSi buttons?

They appear to be slightly larger in photos and videos, but it's difficult to judge. I really hope that they're larger, because I feel like I'm pressing Claritin pills on my DS Lite. I was very disappointed when I realized that the DSi XL's buttons were the same size.

By the way, I regret not buying a GBA SP when they were still sold at retail. I simply want to finally play Oracle of Ages/Seasons on a backlit screen, but I can't find new SP anywhere for less than $150. Hopefully those two will be available soon after the 3DS Virtual Console finally launches.

God, and people kept replying with snarky remarks to me asking if SSF4 ran at 60fps.

Having switched from console to PC gaming, I've quickly begun to notice the difference between 60 and 30 FPS. Some people just plain don't have the eye for it if they aren't used to it. Assassin's Creed 2 is the best example on my system, it generally runs at 60+ but in certain areas the FPS will drop to 45ish and the stutter is pretty apparent.

Sp while a game may run "smooth", it's not necessarily 60 fps.

Izayoi

Banned
Amir0x said:
no pre-order?

where you linin' up at
Thanks to that Amazon price mixup recently, I've got some Fred Meyer store credit burning a hole in my pocket.

They don't do hardware pre-orders, unfortunately, which means I get to bring a propane heater and camping chair.

Father_Brain said:
What can I say? Some people are just better at judging framerate differences than others. I saw this mentioned on at least one other site, though I can't find it at the moment. Maybe it just means that the "hiccups" he mentioned are a bit more frequent in 3D.

That's what I meant. I'm not surprised if the framerate dips here and there, but it hasn't affected my ability to do combos and links in the game.

MisterHero

Amir0x said:
I know Gamestop gives you 48 hours. Pretty sure most places give you a leeway time.
I remember stories from the Wii launch that did what I'd described, but I haven't done many pre-orders in the time between then and now. Procedures are probably a lot smoother today.

Amir0x

Banned
MisterHero said:
I remember stories from the Wii launch that did what I'd described, but I haven't done many pre-orders in the time between then and now. Procedures are probably a lot smoother today.

man your stores are dicks

Izayoi

Banned
Amir0x said:
I am a Firefox man though
Good man.

I'm secretly hoping that Nintendo has delayed the web browser to work on cool stuff like 3D support for web pages and maybe even a YouTube 3D application.

Eh? Eh?

Who am I kidding.

Graphics Horse said:
Works here but I had that the other day. If you get a black screen with no controls, try clearing your cache.
That's what I had, and that did indeed fix it. Thanks.

ElFly

DavidDayton said:

Oh come on.

The DSi XL screen is only 4.2 inches, compared to the 3.5 inches in the 3DS top screen.

While maybe the current 3D screen tech doesn't work at larger sizes, I really really doubt the 3DS is just in the sweet spot where it works, and where 1 inch more would make it crumble.

3DS XL is completely possible, just a thing of demand.

Amir0x

Banned
ugh god i know i'm gonna cave and end up getting Ridge Racer

even those nasty graphics can't seem to stop my inner Ridge beast from getting the best of me when I hear that iconic announcer and then YOU'RE IN A SLIPSTREAM!

must...not...fall...for...Scamco..

Izayoi said:
Good man.

I'm secretly hoping that Nintendo has delayed the web browser to work on cool stuff like 3D support for web pages and maybe even a YouTube 3D application.

Eh? Eh?

Who am I kidding.

That's what I had, and that did indeed fix it. Thanks.

I hope they delayed because the browser is connected to the store and secret social network call Nintendo World, its like a Mii Heaven that Miyamoto dreamed up with pedo-free zones

ElFly said:
Oh come on.

The DSi XL screen is only 4.2 inches, compared to the 3.5 inches in the 3DS top screen.

While maybe the current 3D screen tech doesn't work at larger sizes, I really really doubt the 3DS is just in the sweet spot where it works, and where 1 inch more would make it crumble.

Also, we are talking about 2-3 years down the line.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:

even those nasty graphics can't seem to stop my inner Ridge beast from getting the best of me when I hear that iconic announcer and then YOU'RE IN A SLIPSTREAM!

you've bought the same game from scamco 4 times, what's a fifth?

Zzoram

ElFly said:
Oh come on.

Also, even if current technology doesn't support it, in 2 years larger screens with even better viewing angles could become possible.

Does anyone know how the DSi XL sold anyways?

Izayoi

Banned
Amir0x said:

Don't do it, man.

You know there's going to be plenty of great racing titles for the system later on.

Stick with SSFIV and a Nintendo title for launch.

AndyMoogle said:
Zzoram said:
Also, even if current technology doesn't support it, in 2 years larger screens with even better viewing angles could become possible.
Like I mentioned earlier, the tech works fine on screens as large as 40+ inches.

This is a non-issue and I don't know where he got the idea that it only works on small screens.

AndyMoogle said:

And also this year the Sharp Galapagos has a 3.8 inch 3D display, LG Optimus has a 4.3 inch 3D display. I don't know the way to stop people taking mixtures of speculation and PR babble as gospel.

dallow_bg said:
I'll never play a Ridge Racer with nitro boosts.
That's very noble of you, sadly I'm not so strong.

Izayoi said:
Like I mentioned earlier, the tech works fine on screens as large as 40+ inches.

This is a non-issue and I don't know where he got the idea that it only works on small screens.
I don't know if I would say that the tech works "fine" on 40" screens. It works, but the viewing angles are too poor for it to be released as a commercial product at this time. Not sure how the image quality is on those screens either.

Doesn't really matter how well it works now anyway, because once a potential 3DS XL is out, the screen tech will be better than it is now.

Izayoi said:
The earliest we'll see new colors is Holiday of this year, and even then I doubt it.

Nintendo is going to be struggling to put up with demand as it is. I doubt they'll have the manufacturing capacity to keep up with just two colors, let alone more.
Too bad, then. If I'd never seen the purple 3DS, I'd probably get a black one sometime in the near future, but I'm not into handhelds enough that I can't wait until it comes out . . . or do without entirely.

antonz

Kinspiracy said:
Nope. Amazon is still taking them. As are Gamestop.
we really dont know the status of that though. Its totally possible alot of people preordering now will not be getting launch units.

Izayoi

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
I don't know if I would say that the tech works "fine" on 40" screens. It works, but the viewing angles are too poor for it to be released as a commercial product at this time. Not sure how the image quality is on those screens either.

Doesn't really matter how well it works now anyway, because once a potential 3DS XL is out, the screen tech will be better than it is now.
When I say it works fine, I mean that it works fine for the way that the 3DS implements the technology, which is direct viewing by one person. There will be zero problems with a larger screen on the 3DS itself.

Master Milk said:
Too bad, then. If I'd never seen the purple 3DS, I'd probably get a black one sometime in the near future, but I'm not into handhelds enough that I can't wait until it comes out . . . or do without entirely.
Have you seen the video I keep spamming of the blue one?

It changed my mind completely and I will be hoping to get the blue one on launch. I think I even prefer it to the purple they showed, unless the purple has a similar effect.

Insaniac said:
Do you guys think its too late to get a preorder down for a 3ds in NA now?
Nope. Call around.

Or be like me and just go somewhere they don't actually take pre-orders, like Fred Meyer.

antonz said:
we really dont know the status of that though. Its totally possible alot of people preordering now will not be getting launch units.
Why would they do this?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DavidDayton said:

There are 9" picture frames on the market right now.
The problem in going larger is with the sweet spot, but that will be worked out in the future.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Izayoi said:

Eh. I remember reading in some earlier GAF thread months ago that this particular form of 3D display only worked well with smaller screens, and that the 3DS screen size was the best size for the current technology.

It MIGHT have been something along the lines of "the viewing angle is small enough that full displays are somewhat unusable," I suppose -- that would seem to explain the 40" displays. I just recall reading that there was an inherent reason this tech worked well with small displays but wasn't being used for full size screens.

Izayoi said:
Have you seen the video I keep spamming of the blue one?

It changed my mind completely and I will be hoping to get the blue one on launch. I think I even prefer it to the purple they showed, unless the purple has a similar effect.
Yea, just watched it. That was unexpectedly nice, but it's not the purple. I would prefer the purple to be one solid color. The gradient makes the blue look cooler, but the purple is already perfect. There aren't any games that I'm dying to play, so waiting isn't going to kill me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
One thing I'd like to hear more people who picked up a 3DS talk about is how well the sound quality is especially with headphones verses the built in speakers. With the improved cart size and better horse power are we finally gonna get better overall sound quality verse the DS? DS had some good music tracks, but it felt like everything was compressed to hell and back even if you had descent portable phones.

Izayoi

Banned
Brettison said:
One thing I'd like to hear more people who picked up a 3DS talk about is how well the sound quality is especially with headphones verses the built in speakers. With the improved cart size and better horse power are we finally gonna get better overall sound quality verse the DS? DS had some good music tracks, but it felt like everything was compressed to hell and back even if you had descent portable phones.
Here's a whole playlist with direct-feed audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxcuoEPlHCk&playnext=1&list=PLC8B25988911AB360

You be the judge.

Sounds fantastic to me, cheesy dialogue aside.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Izayoi said:
Why would they do this?
If they don't know how many units they'll have available at launch, I guess. They've been taking pre-orders for well over a month now, and it's safe to assume that they've received a LOT. If there are 400K units on day one in NA as in Japan, I can't imagine Amazon would be getting enough to cover all pre-orders. Everyone else might have to wait a few weeks.

Just speculation, though.

Izayoi

Banned
vatstep said:
If they don't know how many units they'll have available at launch, I guess. They've been taking pre-orders for well over a month now, and it's safe to assume that they've received a LOT. If there are 400K units on day one in NA as in Japan, I can't imagine Amazon would be getting enough to cover all pre-orders. Everyone else might have to wait a few weeks.

Just speculation, though.
North America is getting 1.5m day one, though.

DavidDayton said:
Eh. I remember reading in some earlier GAF thread months ago that this particular form of 3D display only worked well with smaller screens, and that the 3DS screen size was the best size for the current technology.

It MIGHT have been something along the lines of "the viewing angle is small enough that full displays are somewhat unusable," I suppose -- that would seem to explain the 40" displays. I just recall reading that there was an inherent reason this tech worked well with small displays but wasn't being used for full size screens.
I don't think it's a matter of screen size that makes it work better, just the nature of it's use. Handhelds are held close to the face by a single user and typically held in one position without much movement. This kind of tech on a 40 inch tv has horrible viewing angles and would make it hard to view for multiple people in a typical living room with a variety of distances.

Cygnus X-1

Truth101 said:
Opera is such an overlooked browser it is far superior to anything out there...

Safari is somehow slower to load, but its design is far superior to any other if you ask me. Simple, but powerful.

Top Bottom